main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Writer With the Force- A Survivor Style Challenge--How can mav make it better next time?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ForceWriter, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceWriter

ForceWriter Jedi Knight star 1

May 12, 2008
    Hello all and welcome to the Writer With the Force Challenge! I am your host, mavjade.
    This will be a Survivor style challenge for all Star Wars fics regardless of era, characters parings, OC's or cannon characters! No matter what you like to write, you can participate!

How it will work:

A prompt will be given -it could be required words, a quote, a title, or any number of things- and those signed up will be given one week to write a short fic and to send it to the challenge sock, ForceWriter. The fics will then be placed in a random order and put in a thread in the appropriate era, anonymously.

There will then be a set amount of time to vote, usually three days, where anyone, writer or not will vote for their favorite and least favorite story. The writer with the most positive votes will be given immunity for the next round of prompts, until we reach the last three writers where immunity will go away. The writer with the most negative votes will become one with the Force and be out of the this competition round.

This will continue until we are left with a winner for this round of competition.

Since DRL sometimes sneaks up on us, each writer will be given a pass, where they can skip a week of competition without being penalized.

Writers still in the competition will be required to vote. Like with writing, you given one pass, after that is used there is a penalty.

From time to time there might also be a bonus challenge where you can win things like floating immunity (to use when ever you feel like it), to get back in the game if you have become one with the Force, or to break ties unbreakable any other way.

Please read the following rules if you are planing to write and/or vote! I know there are a lot of them, but it is a little complicated so please bear with me!!

Writing Rules:

UPDATE: 01/10/09- An new rules or changed rules for round two have been highlighted in yellow! So please pay attention if you played in round one.

1. Stories must fit in the word limit. I will be checking, using this word counter as I use a mac and don't have MS Word. Should your entry be a little over the limit I will allow some leeway, but not much so please check your word count before you submit. If you exceed the word count, your entry will be disqualified. You will then either automatically use your pass if you have it, or if you don't you will become one with the Force and out for this round of competition. The word count could change with each prompt so please watch carefully!

There is no minimum word count.

2. Stories must be sent to the sock before the deadline or you will automatically use your pass or if you don't have one left you will be disqualified. Should you decided you need to pass( and remember you will only have one), you should send a PM to the sock before the deadline to let me know.
    Deadline will be posted with each prompt.

3. Stories must stick to the prompt. Creativity is encouraged, thinking out side the box is always great, but if it is in no way related to the prompt, it will be disqualified.

4. Please don't include your username with your PM as it might accidentally get posted. Stories should include the information below. This information will not be counted towards your word count.

Title:
    Characters/Pairings:
    Era:
    (Before, Saga, Beyond)
    Spoilers: (if applicable)
    Summary: (optional)

5. If you must use a beta, please make sure they know they are not allowed to vote for your entry, a positive or negative vote, as they know which story is yours. They may vote for other entries.

6. Please don't post your story in your own thread until after voting is complete and a winner for that round has been announced. If you wish to post your stories in your own thread in its ap

2. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Current Prompt:

Round Two, Final Challenge!
    Shakespearean Play Title

Prompt Deadline:

Voting Deadline:

Saturday, May 2nd at 9am (board Time)

3. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Writers Still in:

Ceillean
    Aspiration
    Seremela

4. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    [image=http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/be/300px-Spirits.jpg]

Writers who have become one with the Force:

5. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Writer With The Force Champions Hall of Fame:

Round One Champion: ZaraValinor

Round Two Champion: Seremela

6. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Ooh, sounds like fun.

7. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    sounds cool, :cool: I'll give it a shot...

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

8. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Sounds complicated. I'll give it a shot, though, to keep the brain juices flowing.

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    LOL! It really isn't as complicated as it seems (mostly complicated for me! 8-} ), just hard to put into words! You'll see once we get going! :D

10. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    This looks really cool! :D

I'd like to give it a try. (Let's hope DRL doesn't pop up. ;) )

11. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Although I'm fairly certain I won't last a month - count me in. :D

- lazy

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    This sounds like fun! [face_dancing] Count me in.

I have one question (for now, but I reserve the right to ask more... and probably will :p ). You mentioned the story (ies) submissions have to be within the word count. Is there a set word count for each phase, or will every phase have a seperate limit?

Edit: For clarification.

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Feel free to ask as many questions as you want!! :D

It will stay the same through most of the rounds... only getting longer once there are only a few left in this round of competition. Example: It could start off as a limit of 1,000 words, but when we get down to the final 3 writers it may go up to 2,500 words. The limit will depend on how many people sign up, but right now I'm thinking it will start out at 1,000 words.

I just don't want people to have to read through a novels worth of entries for each round! :p

Did that help?

14. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Yep, that made sense.

Tries to wait patiently for the start of the challenge.

[voice=MonkChant]You must learn patience, padawan. You must learn patience, padawan. You must learn patience, padawan.[/voice] :p

15. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    Count me in please. I'll probably be voted out first like I was in the 87th season of Survivor, but oh well. It's the journey...:D

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I like to participate

17. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    I have two questions. First, what happens if there's a tie?

And second, is the schedule going to be something like this:
    Day 1: The prompt is posted.
    Day 7: The deadline cometh.
    Day 8: The stories are posted. Voting begins.
    Day 10: Voting ends.
    Day 11: Votes are tallied. Results are posted. Congratulations and condolences abound.
    Day 12: The next prompt is posted.

Or like this:
    Day 1: The prompt is posted.
    Day 7: The deadline cometh.
    Day 8: The stories are posted; voting begins. The next prompt is posted.
    Day 10: Voting ends.
    Day 11: Votes are tallied; results are posted.
    Day 14: The deadline for the next prompt arrives.

- lazy

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    In case of a tie... well, honestly I haven't completely figured that out yet! I've been thinking on it, and I'm leaning towards if there is a tie for immunity, both writers will get it (if it is a three way tie or greater, I guess we will have to have a write off or something! I really don't know!) and if there is a tie for the one who becomes One with the Force, I'm thinking who ever has the most negative votes total. (If there is a tie there, I have no idea yet!)

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, let me know!!

As for the schedule, the first one is more like what it will be, only with a little longer to vote, so that hopefully everyone who wants to will get a chance to vote! It really has to be that way because I wouldn't want the person who was out to start writing for it and then find out there was no need.

19. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    Sounds like fun! I'm in! :D

20. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    mavjade: As for the schedule, the first one is more like what it will be, only with a little longer to vote, so that hopefully everyone who wants to will get a chance to vote! It really has to be that way because I wouldn't want the person who was out to start writing for it and then find out there was no need.

Ah, right. Gotcha. :)

In that case, could you please change the "once a week" bit in the first post? Thanks.

- lazy

21. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    What a great idea, I love it! =D=

22. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Yep! Sorry, I thought I had after you asked the question... but I must have done it in a dream or something! :p

Thank you to everyone who has signed up... I'm very excited, I hope you are! But we need more people (it can be done with only a few people, but it won't last very long!), tell you friends! :D

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I count nine who have said they're in... how many participants do we need? I've never watched Survivor [face_blush]

24. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    The show used to have sixteen when I watched it way back when (circa 2000). I'm not sure if they've added more.

25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005

We don't really need a set amount of participants, but the more we have the more fun it will be!
    I don't really watch Survivor either! I occasionally watch it when my parents are watching, enough to know how it works in general, but I couldn't tell you how many participants there are!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.