main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Writer With the Force- A Survivor Style Challenge--How can mav make it better next time?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ForceWriter, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceWriter

ForceWriter Jedi Knight star 1

May 12, 2008
    Round Two Final Challenge!

I thought about being really mean and giving you something spectacularly hard, but then I thought better of it and decided that since it was the final challenge to give you mostly free reign.

For this challenge you are to take one of Shakespeare's titles from one of his plays and make it your own title... thus making your story based around your title.

HERE is a wikipedia article on Shakespeare's plays that includes all the titles.

Deadlines, Reminders and Notes:

Entry Deadline: 11:59 pm, Monday April 27th.

Maximum Word Count: 3,500

~ Please remember to include the following:

Title:
    Characters/Pairings:
    Era: (Before, Saga, Beyond)
    Spoilers:
    (if applicable)
    Summary: (optional)

~ If there are any mark up codes needed for your fic, please, please, please include them in your PM in this manner to make sure they get put in correctly:

{i] This is what you want italicized[/i]

Good Luck! [face_good_luck]

2. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Ooooh, this one I like. :cool:

Good luck everyone! :)

3. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    I know I'm late, but Ceillean, a big congrats on your win! And congrats to you too Aspiration! Very good luck with the last story.

The last.... :_| :_|

[:D] C1, I'm very sorry you became one with the Force.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Don't forget your final entries are due tonight! :)

5. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    It's finally sent. The last one.... [face_worried]

6. Aspiration

Aspiration Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2008
    I'm not happy with my entry, but at least I got it finished.[face_worried]

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I scribbled my entry down in about fifteen minutes, hence I am not happy with the entry either. :(
    But at least it was done on time

8. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Round Two, Final Challenge NOW VOTING!

For this, the final challenge you are only voting for your favorite, no OWTF vote.

I hope everyone who has participated in this challenge will come out and vote! :D :D

Voting Deadline: Saturday, May 2nd 9am (board time)

Standard Reminders on the Rules:

1. Please read all entries before voting. You can find links to the other era threads below!

2. Do NOT vote because you love/hate those characters or pairing, you should be voting on how well the story follows the prompt, characterization, creativity etc., not for the characters themselves.

3. Send a PM with your vote and a reason, please.
    Example: I vote for [story number/name here] as the winner because it used the prompt very creatively.

4. If you beta for one of the writers, please don't vote in either direction for that writer as you know which story is theirs and that completely defeats the purpose of the anonymity. I have no way of checking so we are on the honor system!

5.No voting more than once by using socks!

Entry Thread:
    Beyond The Saga

The Saga

No Before Entry for the final challenge

9. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    We've only got a few votes for the final round so I'm going to extended the voting to Sunday May 3rd at 11:59 pm and hopefully we'll get a few more!

If you talk to people who have participated (or even if they haven't), encourage them to vote!! :)

10. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    And the winner of Round Two, by [almost-she can't vote for herself] unanimous vote is...

Seremela!

Congratulations!! =D==D=
    I wish I had colors or something fun to give you, but sadly I don't have that kind of power. :p But you'll go in the hall of fame on the first page and your name will in the signature of the sock!
    (Feel free to put something in your signature, if you would like! :) )

Congratulations and a wonderful job to our other finalists, Ceillean and Aspiration! =D=

In a few days I'll be posting a few questions about this challenge so I can improve it for next time!

11. Aspiration

Nov 27, 2008
    Congratulations, Seremela!=D==D==D= =D=

Mavjade, would you mind posting 2nd/3rd place and who wrote each story?[face_batting]

12. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    :eek: ::SQUEEEEEE!!!::

[:D] Oh, thank you all so much for the votes! I'm really glad you liked my stories.

I can't begin to tell how much this challenge has come to mean to me. It made me write stories I would never have thought of before. It was fun from day one, with awesome challenges mavjade, and with so many wonderful stories to read every time! It was always great to see what everyone else had done with the same challenge and I feel honored that I could stay on 'til the end.

The only hard thing was the voting. Like this time as well. Ceillean, Aspiration, loved your stories =D= =D= And yes, I would like to know as well who wrote which one :)

I'm so going to miss this! But my diaries will be glad :D

13. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Very cool. You deserve it Seremela!

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Congrats, Seremela!! [:D]

15. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_blush] Thank you, brodiew and Nat.

Brodiew, it was really too bad you had to step out. I love the humor in your stories.

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Congratulations, Seremela =D= [:D]

I'm so going to miss this! But my diaries will be glad :D

So will the indexer ;)

17. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Congrats Seremela=D==D=

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    :oops: Sorry! I was on my way to work and in a hurry. I'm about three quarters the way asleep at the moment after working a very long shift (as in if things could go wrong, they did) and I'm afraid of what I'd mess up if I put them up right now. I'll get them up as soon as I wake up! Promise!

19. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    Thank you, Alexis and Earlybird :)

[face_whistling][face_whistling]

Mavjade, I hope you sleep well! I'm sorry to hear that your work stays so gruelling....

20. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Thanks! It actually hasn't been that bad recently but last night was particularly crazy. We had a huge patient load, the ER was going crazy and we had two cardiac arrests within 45 minutes of each other, one of whom didn't make it. :(

Writer Reveal

I'm not going to post what order they results were in because it would make it obvious to everyone who Seremela voted for (if she wants to post who that is fine but I don't want to force her hand).

Entry # 1: Measure for Measure by Aspiration
    Entry # 2: The Winter's Tail by Seremela
    Entry # 3 : All's Well that Ends Well by Celliean

Edit: If you received comments, I have now sent them... thus, the authors can probably deduct what place they came in! ;) (It's hard to keep it completely anonymous! 8-} )

21. Aspiration

Nov 27, 2008
    Just wanted to know if you're still planning to do this - if not, fine. I'm only asking, not trying to rush you or anything like that.

22. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    First of all I want to thank you all for participating and congratulate everyone on a job well done! =D=

I hope this challenge has inspired you to write something you wouldn't have normally written or made you realize you could write something you didn't think you could! :) If so, then I've done what I hoped to do, if not, that's okay too... I hope you had fun! :)

I've got a few ideas on how to change this up a bit for the next time... just to keep it interesting. I'll post more on that later as I figure out how the rules might change.

Here are a few questions to help me with the next round. If you participated in round one, the questions are very similar but I appreciate your response all the same!

**Giant Hugs**

~mav

[b]1. How would you rate this challenge as a whole?[/b]
    {Make up your own scale whether it be 1 to 10 or crappy to awesome!}

[b]2. Would you participate again and if so, when do you think the next round should start? If not why?[/b]

[b]3. What did you think of the challenges? Which was your favorite/least favorite challenge?[/b]
    {And no harping on the required words... it's good for your vocabulary. Naww.. go ahead and bash it if you must! :p }

[b]4. What did you think about the length of the word count on the challenges? The length of time to write the challenges? The length of time to vote?[/b]

[b]5. Were the rules fair (ie passes, disqualifications etc.)and enforced fairly?[/b]

[b]6. What did you think about the number of people to start with? Too many, too few?[/b]

[b]7. Do you think there should be a rule about the previous winner playing in the next round?[/b]

[b]8. Anything else you can think of to improve this challenge or to make it more fun?[/b]

[hr]

Me again...
    I had planned on getting this up much sooner but there has been a lot of flooding around here, though luckily I live higher up and it doesn't directly effect me, but the internet has been spotty. You know this whole round has been wrought with my problems and I'm really sorry about that! Hopefully the next round will be better! :D

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    1. How would you rate this challenge as a whole? I think it's one of the most challenging as well as the most fun challenges on the boards.

2. Would you participate again and if so, when do you think the next round should start? If not why?

Sure I would, and I think the next round should start as soon as I post this. :p Seriously though, I think about a month from now would be good.

3. What did you think of the challenges? Which was your favorite/least favorite challenge?
    {And no harping on the required words... it's good for your vocabulary. Naww.. go ahead and bash it if you must!}

I think they were all very well done. I liked that you made the final one something really open.

4. What did you think about the length of the word count on the challenges? The length of time to write the challenges? The length of time to vote?

I sometimes felt there should be more time to write, especially since many of the writers had other projects going on.

5. Were the rules fair (ie passes, disqualifications etc.)and enforced fairly?

I think everything was done fairly.

6. What did you think about the number of people to start with? Too many, too few?

I think it was just right.

7. Do you think there should be a rule about the previous winner playing in the next round?

Okay, Seremela's gonna kill me for suggesting this. [face_devil] I think the previous winner should not be aloud to participate as a writer, and should be the "tie-breaker" vote for any challenges that were tied.

8. Anything else you can think of to improve this challenge or to make it more fun?

Opening the challenge to NSW fan fiction could be interesting.

Also, perhaps having one of the challenges be a "Wax Poetic" challenge in which the participants must write a SW (or fandom of choice if my previous suggestion is a hit) related poem.

24. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    Yes and yes and yes!!! This challenge really made me write some for me very new stuff (OC stories for instance :eek: ) and what it also did is make me more sure about my writing. It's sometimes difficult to keep confidence in my stories with so few responses to them, especially when others do get heaps. But that can very well be because I'm still new to these boards and *cough* a bit limited *cough*Qui-Gon*cough*

1. How would you rate this challenge as a whole?
    Awesome! The most fun challenge I've ever been a part in, here or elsewhere :D Although if I hadn't been able to skip the song fic challenge I might have made it a 9 instead of a 10

2. Would you participate again and if so, when do you think the next round should start? If not why?
    I feel I can't participate again immediately in the next one, since I've won this one, if that makes sense? But I will definitely want to do it again!

3. What did you think of the challenges? Which was your favorite/least favorite challenge?
    {And no harping on the required words... it's good for your vocabulary. Naww.. go ahead and bash it if you must! :p }
    Heh, I liked that one. Something similar (required words, but with normal words!) got me to write more regularly again. My favorite? Actually, the L per paragraph challenge! At first I thought I would never be able to do it, but the story simply flowed out of me and I think it's because of having to start with those L words again and again. But I could put more into the free-er challenges where it was only the first sentence or the title that was set.

Worst, definitely the song fic challenge. I was so grateful I could back out of that one! I can see a song being an inspiration to a fic, but not to the point where it's *part* of the fic.

4. What did you think about the length of the word count on the challenges? The length of time to write the challenges? The length of time to vote?

- length of the word count: I was fine with those. Having to restrain yourself is a nice challenge all on its own, but I also liked that in the end we were allowed more words.

- length of time to write: a week is good, but it certainly shouldn't have been shorter for me, because there's always other things to do as well.

- length of time to vote: the first few times there are a lot of stories, so a week was good, but when the stories get fewer I would have preferred the voting time to get shorter; it's always a nail biting week, waiting for the outcome!

I found it all fair, nothing I had a problem with.

6. What did you think about the number of people to start with? Too many, too few?
    Aiee, that's a difficult one. I think if everyone had gone on with this ten would have been enough. But with some people dropping out I feel a few more might have been better. Not many more, twelve, thirteen, fourteen at the most (and when you do that you'll see no one drops out or gets disqualified [face_whistling] )

7. Do you think there should be a rule about the previous winner playing in the next round?
    There's numerous sports where you're allowed to defend your title each and every time, but personally I don't feel it's right to participate again right away.

8. Anything else you can think of to improve this challenge or to make it more fun?
    Would it be possible to sort of have people who participate promise they will keep voting even when they're out of the race? More votes would be more fun I think. But when someone's out you can't give them a sanction when they don't vote, so that's probably not possible. Still, might not hurt to ask people to make that commitment when they deci

25. Aspiration

Nov 27, 2008
    1. How would you rate this challenge as a whole?
    {Make up your own scale whether it be 1 to 10 or crappy to awesome!}

94.73/100.

Kriff yes! In my opinion, the beginning of June would be a good start time.

My favorite was definitely #4 (and not just because I won). Next would be #2, probably. Least favorite was undoubtedly the final challenge... seemed too strict in some ways. #3 wasn't that bad, and #5 was a lot of fun.

Word count was okay. Writing time was perfect. Voting times were too long, particularly in the later challenges.

Absolutely.

12 or 14 would be better, in my opinion.

Seremela's going to kill me as well, but...
    I think that if anyone from the previous round won half or more of the challenges that they shouldn't be allowed to write in the round, and should have to be the tie-breaker judge, as Alexis_Wingstar suggested. Not necessarily the winner, though.

Maybe a challenge similar to #2, where you're required to pick a character from one of your favorite non-SW books to be the main character of your fic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.