main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Writer With the Force- A Survivor Style Challenge--How can mav make it better next time?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ForceWriter, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I'm usually a procrastinator too, but when a plot bunny bites, I write. :p

2. ForceWriter

ForceWriter Jedi Knight star 1

May 12, 2008
    Okay you procrastinators... remember your first fic is due by 11:59 tomorrow night!
    That leaves you with a little more than 24 hours, so get crackin! :p

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Ok, here goes [image=http://www.santharia.com/pictures/quellion/quellion_pics/kraken_giant.jpg]

Oh... that's not what you said? Sorry. :p

4. BaronCoop

BaronCoop Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2006

:eek::eek::eek:

That's totally what I was thinking! Except, you know, more Johnny Depp. Though if you think about it, everything could use more Johnny Depp.

:confused::confused::confused:

What an odd thing for a married straight man to say.

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    LOL! That really cracked me up Alexis! [face_laugh]

What an odd thing for a married straight man to say.
    No it isn't because even a completely straight man has to admit that Johnny Depp is hot!
    :p

6. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] So true. So true. :p

7. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Sent mine in. Now I can finally get some sleep . . .

lazy

8. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Yeah, I sent mine in last night, after having to rewrite part of it like six times because it was too long.

9. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    I had that problem too! And that's usually not the case for me... [face_thinking]

10. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    A thousand words creeps up on you very fast. In my first draft I was nearly at three thousand.

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    You should try writing drabbles... snippets of 100 words, no more no less. :D

12. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I've tried them. And it was the hardest thing in my life.

13. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Now Voting!

I've placed the entries in their appropriate threads. Initially they were going to be here, but I figured we might get more votes if they are out and about! :) Please tell your friends to vote... just don't tell them which one to vote for! ;)

Writers: Please let me know if any of your markup codes are showing! I double checked, but sometimes they still slip through! :)

We only had one writer who didn't send in an entry, so RX_Sith has automatically used his pass.

Links to the entry threads:

Beyond the Saga

The Saga

Before the Saga

A few voting reminders:

1. Please read all entries before voting. You can find links to the other era threads below!

2. Do NOT vote positive or negative because you love/hate those characters or pairing, you should be voting on how well the story follows the prompt, characterization, creativity etc., not for the characters themselves.

3. Send a PM with your votes and a reason, please.
    Example: I vote for [story number/name here] as the best story because it used the prompt very creatively.

I vote for [story number/name here] as the writer to become one with the Force because I felt the characterization was not accurate.

4. If you beta for one of the writers, please don't vote in either direction for that writer as you know which story is theirs and that completely defeats the purpose of the anonymity. I have no way of checking so we are on the honor system!

5.No voting more than once by using socks!

Voting will end at 12 noon on Monday June 2nd!

14. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    That counts as the pass, right? (Just checking that I understand.)

15. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Nice to see the entries are up. :)

A few questions:

Are we allowed to post comments in the challenge entry threads?
    Are we allowed to repost our entries in their own threads after the voting is done?
    Are you going to reveal who wrote what when the voting is over?
    Have you decided what to do if there's a tie?

BTW - I would like to see the voters' comments for my entry, please.

- lazy

16. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    NOTE TO WRITERS: Remember: If you would like to receive the voters comments for your entry, please let me know and I will send them to you! I will continue to send them to you throughout the competition unless you ask me to stop!

We've had some good questions here, so please read!

That counts as the pass, right? (Just checking that I understand.)

No, if you want a pass you have to say that you want to use it. Though I might allow it to work that way this once if that was unclear! :)

Are we allowed to post comments in the challenge entry threads?
    Yep! Just don't say anything that might give away which one is yours, and don't place your votes in the threads!

Are we allowed to repost our entries in their own threads after the voting is done?
    After I reviel who won, you may repost them in your own thread!

Are you going to reveal who wrote what when the voting is over?
    Yep! :)

Have you decided what to do if there's a tie?
    If there is a tie for the writer to become One with the Force, it will be the writer who has the most total negative votes from all the previous challenges in this round of competition. If it is a tie for immunity, both writers will get immunity.

Okie dokie! :)

17. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    ForceWriter: If there is a tie for the writer to become One with the Force, it will be the writer who has the most total negative votes from all the previous challenges in this round of competition.

Um . . . so what if this happens in this opening challenge?

- lazy

18. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    I think it might be fair to count the first absence automatically as a pass, whether in general or just pre-clarification.

I figured it was probably ideal to inform you if possible, but since the idea is partly to cushion the effects of real-life interruptions, it also seemed reasonable not to require notification. A sudden internet outage or some unexpected hectic event could easily cause someone to miss the deadline without having much chance to let you know.

If you want to be stricter, well, it's not like you had to offer a pass at all. *g* But I figured I'd offer my view.

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Um . . . so what if this happens in this round?
    LOL! I was hoping you wouldn't notice that I didn't address that and then really hoping it wouldn't happen! :p

If it does happen, we will have a re-vote between the two stories and only the writers will vote (except for the writers who are part of the tie).

Does that sound fair to everyone?

I figured it was probably ideal to inform you if possible, but since the idea is partly to cushion the effects of real-life interruptions, it also seemed reasonable not to require notification. A sudden internet outage or some unexpected hectic event could easily cause someone to miss the deadline without having much chance to let you know.
    I think that is a good idea, I wasn't thinking of that! That is the way we will do it!
    Thank you for your suggestion! [:D]

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    It was fun to read the entries. It seems most of us had the same ideas for the job descriptions. [face_laugh] Though a couple of them were more gruesome than others. :p

I would like to see voter's comments on mine... I'm going to assume if mine was mentioned, it was either as best or for me to be one with the force. We aren't supposed to mention others, right?

21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm going to assume if mine was mentioned, it was either as best or for me to be one with the force. We aren't supposed to mention others, right?
    Right! Unless of course you really want to send comments to the writer anomalously. If you do I would be glad to pass them on! :)

22. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    hmm...i think i want to know the reasons on mine...[face_worried] lol

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

23. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    I'd like to have the vote things sent to me too. :)

24. LASOS

LASOS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2008
    I think I would like to have comments sent to me as well. Thanks! :)

25. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Added Jedimaster_JainaSolo, Jaina_and_Jag and LASOS to the list of authors who want comments!

There is still time to vote, so make sure you send them in before tomorrow at Noon, board time!

Remember writers, you can vote too, just not for yourself!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.