main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers' Challenge 7 - When galaxies collide (The Cross-over challenge).

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit' , May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Firstly, I'd like to apologise for the incorrect grammar for the title of the last six challenges [face_blush]. *ahem* It's the reason I'm not studying to become an english teacher :p

Due to popular demand as well as the fact it is quite a cool idea - the topic of this challenge is the cross-over. Many authors avoid both reading and writing cross-over stories as they feel that they are implausible or over the top and that too much hard work is involved to suspend the readers' disbelief.

To this end, I was going to try to endevour to push you out of your comfort zone by challenging you this month to write a short cross-over fic. However this could get rapidly out of hand, so instead I'm sticking with an idea of Melyanna's which was instead of writing the whole story just write the scene in which the galaxies collide and the two sets of 'heroes' meet. The object that you are aiming for is for the scene to be as plausible as possible (or as plausible as science-fantasy can be).

Think your up for it?

Kithera

P.S: I'm discussing with the other two mods the idea of a short time period with colours or simply a title for the person who reviews the most stories within the thread and gives the best reviews.

P.P.S: I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this idea on the Challenge discussion thread .

The last challenge was on action and it can be found Here

2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Wait... ONLY when the two worlds collide? I did have two bunnies, but one would require a great deal of work. Is there a deadline? This next week is really busy for me, but perhaps the following week... blast you... the last thing I need is someone letting those dang bunnies out of their cages (back, you monsters! *whack, whack*) :p

3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    You really have until June but there isn't a deadline for any of the Writers' Chalenges.

Oh and you can cross it with anything. I'd love to see a Star Wars/Wuthering Heights :p

Kithera

4. Tekli_theInsane

Tekli_theInsane Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    Ooh, this looks like fun... It'll be hard to keep it so short, though. I was actually thinking of doing a long crossover fic, but I'll try this first. :D (Darn the plot bunnies, I have like 10 story ideas at the current moment...)

5. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Mmm, I might actually participate in this one, seeing as how you're using my idea, Kit'. :p I've a couple of scene bunnies involving a Star Wars/Stargate: SG-1 crossover. :D

I'll see what I can come up with.

Mel

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Mel! You stole my idea! :( 8-}

sits and thinks

For once the bunnies aren't biting... :(

7. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Rats. Both of you beat me to it. *sigh* I'll have to come up with something else then...

8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Yay! You decided to go with the crossover idea. I'm going to have fun with this one. :D

9. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey, there's no reason there can't be more than one entry with the same fandom. I for one think it'd be really interesting to see how many ways the two could mix. ;)

10. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Title: One Good Day
    Summary: Q sends the Enterprise far into another galaxy.
    Notes: This is greatly inspired by the final episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, which is entitled, All Good Things.Instead of Picard traveling through time, Q instead sends the Enterprise into the Star Wars galaxy during the time of A New Hope.

~~~~

"Perhaps it's time that the human race realize just how desperately lucky they are. How easy things are here," Q said teasingly with glee. "Would you like that, Captain?"

"Where are we, Q?" Picard demanded. "Just where have you taken us now?"

"Not us, my dear Captain," Q sneered knowingly. "Right now, you are standing inside of the Q-reality. Far away from your dismal little Enterprise, and far away from your precious little crew."

"I demand that you send me back to my Ship, Q," Picard ordered, with bald anger threatening his tone. "I've had enough of your games."

"The games are just starting, Captain," Q smiled, with hint of his intent barely a mask. "In fact, this is going to be the greatest game of all. These people are going to make the Borg seem like cute little kittens."

"Q." Picard began.

Q then snapped his fingers and everything went black.

~~~

Picard blinked and found himself standing on the Enterprise Bridge. His First Officer was staring at him from his Chair on the Deck. "Captain, are you all right, sir?"

Troi was on the opposite side of the command chair and was also gazing at Picard with deep concern.

"We didn't even see you leave the turbo lift." noted the young female Ensign, who was stationed at comms.

"What is our location?" Picard demanded to the Ensign.

When the young woman hesitated, Picard barked the order again, "Tell me!"

"I don't understand it, sir." replied the Ensign. "There is no reading. My screen is blank."

"Number One, Troi, my ready room in twenty minutes. Inform the Senior Staff and put the Ship on emergency alert."

"Aye, Captain." Riker said.

"What is that?" cried the Ensign in abrupt panic.

Riker, Troi, Picard, and the Ensign, all looked toward the view screen. A dome shaped Ship was sitting in direct orbit of the Enterprise.

"We're being hailed, Sir." replied Worf from his security station.

~~~

"If you cannot tell us the location of the hidden Rebel Base, perhaps this smuggler Ship will serve as a good demonstration of what will happen to your beloved Alderaan, if you do not comply with our demands, Your Highness," rumbled Darth Vader, from the Bridge of the Death Star.

"No," cried Princess Leia. "Please, wait."

"Fire when ready." smiled Grand Moff Tarkin. "This is a good day for the Empire."

11. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Oh, I loved that. The Enterprise getting blasted by the Death Star. Very cool. :cool:

Will have to think of something for this challenge. Hmmm...

12. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Ooh, great idea, Kit' :D I'll try and come up with something, if I can find time with Darth Final Exams taking up all my time :(

SaraKenobi:

That was a great story. I used to watch The Next Generation a lot, and I could really visualize all of the characters on the bridge when I was reading that. Very good! :)

However, I would have like to see the Enterprise in action against some of the GFFA vessels. That would be awesome :cool:

Overall, great story SaraKenobi!!

Look forward to more entries!

13. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Well this is serendipitous. Now I have a deadline for one of my works in progress. I hope I can meet it...

KD

14. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    Author's Note: I know we were just supposed to do only the meeting scene, but concidering how diverse I was running with things, I had to do the buildup and setting to best explain things out so they made sense in my eyes. Other than following the gist of a fic I'm currently working on, this is original work and helped me hash out things in my head.

And now....JA Star Wars crossed with Dawn of the Dead 2004 remake...

The Jedi Council had spoken, and set thier choice into motion to ensure that somewhere, somehow the Jedi Order would continue. It had been a long road recovering the only ship they had capable for the great journey, and yet another to convert the ship for the task at hand.

It had been decided to discreetly send the chosen Jedi to the rendezvous point, and then onto the ship. From there it had been a simple matter to keep them uninformed until the time came for them to board and secure themselves into the timeless sleep of the stasis units.

Once the last of the stasis units were activated when all were aboard, an electronic message was sent to the droid crew. Silently they engaged the hyperdrive and began thier scheduled tasks. Repair units made thier way through the empty corridors, logging the performance of the systems they were assigned to so they would be able to compare them against future reports to know what was malfunctioning.

The droids on the bridge monitored both subspace communications as well as mapped the regions they passed through so they could return the same way.

Such was the timeless routine begun, and would continue until a suitable world was found.

Years passed in dreamless sleep. Only twice were the five Masters roused, and the planets that had been passed were not suitable. With the one, the environment was perfect, however the indigneonous life form was a hostile exoskeletoned hivemind being which bled acid capable of eating hullmetal. They lost two exploration droids as the elongated headed drone aliens attacked them. The second planet appeared acceptible on the surface, but a bioscan revealed that the planet was still rife with a virulent agent that had slain it's populous and was still highly contagious.

The council had promised to send reports as they could, but there were none waiting with each waking period.

It was with heavy hearts that the Masters went back to thier sleep, unknowing of how the situation was back in the Republic, but they trusted in the Force as they always had.

Decades passed, and what none of the sleepers could have forseen occured.

A passing comet brushed too close to the Chu'unthor, the debris in it's tail shattering the navigational array. The power surge ripped through the ship, damaging those droids who were on thier recharge cycle as well as a few of the stasis units near the bow. The Jedi within woke, but could not open the doors. Thier cries for help went unheard, echoing through the ship while the droids were focussed on repairing the navigational systems. They grew weaker as the days passed to months, then were silent.

The array was never fully repaired as the damaged droids activated to thier shifts, throwing off the sensor readings and the Chu'unthor passed several promising worlds.

Years grew to decades, and decades grew to centuries.

The ship, nor the droids had been designed to last for such a long journey, and gradually systems began to malfunction. Rows of stasis units malfunctioned, either trapping Jedi to a slow death of starvation or allowing the cargo of seedlings and animals yet to be to rot in their cases.

When a rogue meteor smashed into the engines, destroying the hyperdrive, the ship continued to limp on stardrive alone, now beginning to exhaust it's power reserves. Droids slowly powered down where they were in the corridors. Only a scant double handful remained when the sensors picked up a distant radio transmission.

It was garbled, and so they ran it through the buffers. The signal cleared enough to show it was language, just not one that was familiar. Clearly

15. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I dunno, now... was going to do an Xwing/Earth cross, but it's too close to Vampi's to tackle, I think! Excellent, now why don't you just take yourself over and post that properly so everyone can appreciate it? :) Although... if it's 10,000 years from now... does it belong Beyond the Saga? :D

My complaint about the Q one is that it's too short! Will there be more? I have a sudden vision of Picard confronting Tarkin, and I have a feeling that Riker & Han, after an initial male posturing, would click. How would Troi react to Luke?

Okay, sorry, sorry... back to the drawing boards.

16. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Hmmmm...

Stargate/Star Wars sounds like fun.

Can we post crossovers in the forums? I don't remember.

17. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, yes, crossovers are allowed. You need to make sure that you choose the board based on when in the Saga your SW characters exist (the Solo twins in Beyond, etc.)

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Please excuse this one, I wrote it quickly (in about fifteen minutes) and it isn't a big dramatic scene. It isn't even the scene in which the two worlds first collide, but this is what the plot bunny brought me, so here is my very humble little contribution...

Chosen One

Anakin Skywalker felt the sand that had gotten in his boots and grimaced. Gods, he hated sand! It got everywhere and constantly irritated every little nook and crevice on the human body. Why, oh why had he been born on a desert planet? Why did his destiny lead forever toward the sands he hated?

His mother constantly reminded him that hardships were his teachers, the foundation of the skills he would need in the future. But he was tired of lessons and weary of the heat and fatigue that came with life in the open desert.

He longed to see an ocean, a body of water so large he couldn?t see the other side. He wanted to run his fingers through the green leaves of plants that grew so thick he could barely walk through them. He yearned for a cool breeze to blow across his heated flesh, instead of the blasting force of a sandstorm that threatened to whip the skin from his bones.

He sat down and removed his boots, letting his feet dig into the softer sand of his home. Sand, always sand! There was nothing to do about it so he released his irritation to the Force. He inhaled deeply and let the familiar scents of home surround him and comfort him.

He knew he was in a petulant mood, although he?d deny it to anyone who dared to say it to his face. He grinned as he sat there alone in his quarters. None of his people would dare to insinuate that their Chosen One was grumpy. They would merely take his sour mood as being the result of some vision, some supernatural event that would shape their destinies.

Everything he said and did was taken as being of great importance. There were times he was sure that if he had a bout of indigestion that they would declare all the food supplies corrupted. He smiled, for he loved every single one of them. They were his people.

In turn they loved the man who had come into their lives with the force of a desert storm. They tried to smooth the path before him. Not for their Maud? Dib the trials and tribulations of every day life.

They were a simple people, his Fremen. They adored and worshipped him, for he was the one foretold by prophecy. He would be the man who was more than a man, the one who would make a paradise of the desolate planet on which they struggled to survive, Arrakis.

For his people, for these desert warriors who had adopted him as their own, he let his mind wander the folds of time and space. He delved deep into the past, present and future for the benefit of his Fremen. Like a benevolent god descended from the heavens, he watched over them and provided for them.

He watched as his humble mother, who had been a slave before he stole her away and fled to Arrakis, was transformed into an esteemed priestess among his flock. She had known so little joy in her life; it seemed only fair that the mother of their Chosen One, their beloved Maud? Dib, should be revered. Shmi Skywalker deserved nothing less.

He was largely content with his lot. He was worshipped and loved; provided with every humble luxury the Fremen had to offer. They adored him and honored him for his inborn talents, for the sacred blood that ran through his veins, for the fulfillment of their ancient prophecy. He was everything they had dreamed and hoped he would be.

And yet at moments he would find himself drifting away from the Arrakeen sands and letting his thoughts wander toward her. Her brown eyes haunted him, visiting him in dreams that made him cry out in despair and his people worry. Maud? Dib is troubled! What hells await us that our prophesied one is troubled?

He could not tell them of her. He could not reveal her name or what she meant to him. She was in her own world now, a galaxy far, far away from him. She was lost to him as surely as if she had died. Padme?even

19. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    What Renata said, Vampi. I can't wait for more. Start your thread. Though where it would go is certainly beyond me. No pun intended.

I have to find where I left the latest version of mine and then I will post it... Or maybe I will try to get a bit more written first since it is in fact a full story - or will be when done...

KD

20. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Enjoyed Sara_Kenobi?s though Enterprise-D would make rather a large smugglers ship.

Vampi_Digitalwytch was great, though in some ways I preferred it before the cross-over actually started when it was just the setup with the Chu'unthor seeking a new world for the Jedi. Sort of Outbound Flight AU. Enjoyed the help or not debate.

VaderLVR64?s Dune one was lovely and very wonderful work for only fifteen minutes. Really touching having Anakin have to chose between his duty and his love.

This is all making my attempt seem rather contrived since it was all buildup for the final line (and so I should have cut to the chase sooner). Still, I typed the POS so I may as well post it :)

Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master, gazed out though the forward viewports of ISD-II [i]Rebel Dream[/i] at the unknown ship floating off their bow. He could feel the tension rising around him in the officers and crew of the Star Destroyer and he knew that soon, unless he could do something, the shooting would start.

The [i]Rebel Dream?s[/i] Captain felt Luke?s sideways glance at him and met the Jedi Masters eyes. So far he had trusted former-Commander Skywalker's instincts that the other ship was not hostile and had maintained a neutral posture but he was not willing to endanger his command. These people had claimed to be part of a fleet of a power he had never heard of and they likewise claimed to have never heard of the New Republic. Either statement would be unlikely, both combined was unbelievable so he knew they were trying to deceive him.

To Luke?s senses the Captain might as well have had a gauge floating above his head showing how his patience was running dry. This situation was a strange one, the [i]Rebel Dream[/i] had been on patrol and Luke had decided to take advantage of this patrol route going near his destination and let the Star Destroyer carry him partway. They had dropped out of hyperspace and were just moving to change course and reengage the hyperdrive for the next leg when this other ship had reverted into view.

The Captain had immediately sounded General Quarters and launched his ready fighters, as there was little doubt the other ship was a warship despite it being of unknown design. The other ship had also launched its own fighters from multiple launch tubes spaced along its underbelly. This combined with the relatively small size of the weapon turrets implied it could be a carrier rather than being designed for direct engagements but there were ports that could be heavy semi-fixed weaponry.

Luke had sensed the sudden agitation of the [i]Rebel Dream?s[/i] crew and had invited himself to the bridge where he had watched the New Republic and unknown fighters forming up in defensive positions around their mothership. The Captain had asked Luke if he had seen anything like the other ship and even with Luke?s historical knowledge, more gained during long hours reading on Tatooine than while in the military, he had been forced to admit he didn?t recognise it.

He had listened to the conversation between the [i]Rebel Dream?s[/i] communications officer and the other ship and could feel that as much as it seemed the others were trying to deceive them they were thinking the same. They genuinely did not seem to have heard of the New Republic and were as unfamiliar with the design of an Imperial Star Destroyer, something which for years had been the symbol of the Empires military might, as the [i]Rebel Dream?s[/i] crew was with the other ships design.

?Master Skywalker,? the Captain said, coming to a decision, ?I recognise your special abilities, but the negotiations are going nowhere.?

?If you make an ultimatum,? Luke replied, ?you risk provoking a battle, something which they seem as reluctant about as we do.?

?Granted,? the Captain replied, ?but they are not recognising my authority to order them to leave and I am unwilling to allow an unknown warship to remain in New Republic space.?

Luke focussed his power back towards the other ship and its surrounding fighters and again got

21. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    I was thinking of when the time came, my crossover fic would go in the BTS forum since it starts when Obi-Wan's 16. Right now the R/NC-17 version's hitting 90k while the PG/PG-13 version's at 50k (It's been a doozy trying to find alternate ways of referring to a rear end *chuckles*). I to want to have more done before I get to showing it around so I don't have people waiting on installments.

It doesn't seem fair concidering it does drive me up the wall at times, so I just can't do it to others.

I was wondering if I had the characterizations down pretty good and if there was anything that was really pushing the envelope since when it comes to horror, there's far more leeway given in the genre when it comes to violence and portrayals of death than what's shown in other genres. Sex is easier to handle since I can just go heavy gloss when the clothes start to get undone.

22. jedi_keladry

jedi_keladry Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    Fascinating...

I'm enjoying the entries here, this is an interesting challenge. (Well, at least the crossover universes that I recognize.)

I think it's interesting that for about a month now, I've been thinking about what it would be like if an entire world and its people, with their beliefs, abilities, and history, had evolved in the SW universe instead of elsewhere. I'm not sure if it's gonna work, I can't seem to go anywhere fast enough, but I'm working on it! I hope to have it up soon.

23. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh crap. I've already done one with crossing over the SW time periods with my fic Blurred Present. Shoot. No good ideas coming to mind... Hm, I have done Xfiles Crossovers...but none in a while. Perhaps I can drag out one of those bunnies and force it to do my bidding... ::dusts off old bunny:: Hm, I'll see where this takes me and post something shortly...

24. Uldir_Fenn

Uldir_Fenn Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    Has anyone heard of Redwall?

If so i'd think i'd be cool if i did a Star Wars/Redwall crossover. It would be challanging but i really enjoy a challange.

Does this comp. have a ending date?

25. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    No. There isn't any finishing date for this Challenge

I'll see if I can reply to each story later. So far they all look fantastic!

Kithera

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.