main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers' Challenge 7 - When galaxies collide (The Cross-over challenge).

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit', May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    HDM = His Dark Materials, a fantasy trilogy made up of Northern Lights (The Golden Compass to you non-Brits), The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.
    awesome books, they are.

2. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    djcati Do I agree! What an awesome trilogy they are - 'specially Amber Spyglass. Philip Pullman's a genius. :cool:

That was a really cool cross you did with it as well. :)

Nem :D

3. Jedi_Knight150

Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    When does this challenge end? I want to try my hand at a crossover.

4. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    It doesn't. :) These non-competitive challenges have no time limit.

Nem :)

5. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Hey, my niece is reading The Subtle Knife. It sounded like it was a good read for the younger crowd.

6. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Nem, very awesome! Should you continue that, please let me know!

-Durhelediel

7. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    I was thinking of maybe trying a...uh... SW/Charmed crossover. I'm a really big fan of the show. I'm just not sure if anyone would want to read it, even if it is only when the characters meet.

8. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I've started my SG-1/SW crossover piece, but as I'm leaving to go chase thunderstorms for ten days tomorrow, I don't know if I'll get it finished before I go. But we'll see ? aside from packing, that's all I have left to do before I go. :D

9. Jedi_Knight150

Jul 26, 2002
    Can't wait to read it. Stormchasing sounds fun. Have you ever seen a tornado before? If so, what was it on the fujita scale?

10. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Okay, here it is. Firefly/SW.

"Sky's clear, Mal. We're the only ones out here for as far as the sensors can see."

"Good." Mal folded his arms across his chest and leaned a hip on the console as he stared out at the stars. "Just the way I like it."

"He sleeps and the 'verse whispers to him. The whole 'verse in a single cell."

Mal turned slowly, his pleased expression suddenly strained. "Good morning, River. Where's your brother?"

The young woman ignored him, staring past his shoulder into space. "He speaks to the stones and they fly. His tin can fixes everything, and while he sleeps is goes beep beep, beep beep, beep beep..."

"How terribly rude of it." Mal turned to his pilot, Wash. "Call the doc up here and remind him he needs to keep a closer eye on his sister."

The captain gently began to steer River off the bridge. She didn't resist, but continued to gaze past his shoulder. "Beep beep. Beep beep. Beep beep. "

"I'd take it as a kindness if you'd stop 'beeping', River," Mal muttered.

Her hand came up and pointed past him to where she was looking, her expression suddenly childish instead of vacant and dreamlike. "He started it."

"Sure he did. Let's just go find your brother, shall we?"

"Uh, Mal?" It was Wash's tone more than his words that grabbed the captain's attention. "Maybe you ought to come look at this."

Mal turned slowly, keeping an eye on River. She'd done some pretty strange things recently and he'd prefer she didn't do any of them on Serenity's bridge. "What is it?"

"Some sort of ship. It's not registering on the sensors." The pilot's voice turned apologetic. "And it looks an awful lot like it might be beeping."

"So why aren't we getting a hit off it, Wash?"

"I'm guessing that it's partly because it's so small, and partly what the hull's made of, but I couldn't tell you for sure until I can take a closer look at it. What's worrying me is that fella inside. He's sure doing a whole lot of not moving."

Zoe and Jayne had joined them on the bridge as they moved closer to the strange vessel, and were now staring out the window at it. The orange clad figure inside the cockpit was indeed very still. Behind the cockpit, a rounded dome still winked at them with a steady pattern that could almost be heard. Beep beep...

Zoe turned away from the view. "It sure don't look like an Alliance ship, sir, but that don't mean much."

Wash leaned an elbow on the pilot's concole. "It looks like a modified viper-class, though I've never seen that crossed wing look."

Jayne peered at the slowly approaching vessel thoughtfully. "Maybe it's worth salvaging."

"Pilot might still be alive, Jayne," Mal pointed out.

The mercenary turned to leer unpleasantly at Mal and fingered the gun strapped to his hip. "I could fix that."

"None of that now, Jayne. If you were drifting lost you'd wish awful hard that someone would come along and take you in. Can we bring it inside the cargo bay, Wash?"

"No, it's very much the wrong size in all the wrong directions."

"Then we'll just have to suit up and take a look our own selves, now won't we?"

"He don't look like he's doing a whole lot of breathing."

"No, he surely don't." Mal stared through the cockpit hatch at the still figure inside. It was hard to tell with the orange suit and the strange chest panel if the fellow was alive. Or even a fellow for that matter. "Jayne, head back to Serenity and stand by at the hatch. I'm going to haul him out of there fast as I can and shove him to you. You catch him and drag him inside. Cycle the lock quick. It sure don't look like that helmet will keep the air in."

"Whatever." Even through the suit speakers, Jayne's bored tone came through loud and clear as he drifted carefully away. "Kaylee says the doc's standing by in case there's anything he can do, though I seriously doubt it."

Mal waited until Jayne was in position before he began scanning for some sort of bu

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    That Due South one was awesome. I loved that show, and you wrote Benton quite well.

12. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Lilith, I liked the ref to "The Message" in there. :) I guess our ideas weren't all that far off each other; we just used different characters.

13. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Lilith, awesome work there. You nailed each of the Firefly characters, even River ? that incoherent stuff has to be hard to write!

Okay, finished mine just in time. :p Spoilers for SG-1 to around the midway point in Season 7, though I have thrown in SG-13 from the later Season 7 episodes "Heroes, Parts I and II." They, however, are in here because I found them insanely cool, not for any spoiler-related reason. The SW side of things is several centuries after the NJO, and it's somewhat AU, though there's really only one major difference, which I'm sure you'll catch. Anything that looks related to Episode III is off the top of my head, not from spoilers.

?Unscheduled off-world activation!?

Klaxons were blaring as Samantha Carter grabbed a last bite of her cereal and rushed out of the mess. This wasn?t an uncommon occurrence, but sometimes she wished that these unscheduled activations wouldn?t happen while she was eating.

Colonel O?Neill caught up with her as she got off the elevator on Level 28. ?Do you know what?s going on, sir?? she asked.

?Haven?t got a clue, Carter,? he replied as they hurried down the corridor. ?That?s pretty much the way it always is.?

?Receiving IDC, sir,? Davis was saying as Sam followed Jack into the control room overlooking the gate. General Hammond was standing just behind. ?It?s SG-13.?

?Open the iris,? said Hammond, nodding.

?What?s up?? Jack asked, stuffing his hands in his pockets. ?Didn?t think Dixon and his crew were due back for a few days.?

?Not for another week,? the general replied. ?They were on reconnaissance to P2C-674 on Doctor Jackson?s recommendation.?

?Oh, [i]that[/i] planet. Gotta love P2C-674.?

Sam repressed a laugh, looking down at a computer monitor which showed incoming travelers through the active wormhole. Meanwhile, she heard Daniel?s voice as footsteps descended the spiral stairs up into the briefing room. ?General Hammond,? he called.

?Doctor Jackson,? said Hammond, ?SG-13 is on its way back.?

?Already?? said Daniel. ?They must have found something.?

Sure enough, the four team members stepped through the event horizon as Daniel reached the bottom of the stairs. They carried with them a long box that looked like a coffin, and Colonel Dixon called, ?General Hammond, Doctor Jackson was right.?

Sam leaned forward as SG-13 reached the bottom of the ramp. Her first assessment of the box had been eeriely accurate. Behind her, Jack swore under his breath. Through the glass lid of the box, they could see a body.

*~*~*~*

?About a month ago I found an inscription on P4X-997 talking about a ?refuge for the fallen,?? Daniel was explaining as he, General Hammond, half of SG-13, Jack and Teal?c stood in the observation room for Isolation Room 4. ?There was a fairly detailed description of the planet ? kind of like clues in a scavenger hunt ? and the UAV images we got back matched it pretty well. I was hoping for some information on the Lost City, but this is amazing.?

Down below, Doctor Fraiser and her team were examining the body as best they could with the box still closed. ?She looks a little like that actress chick,? said Colonel Dixon. ?What?s her name? Natalie something??

No one could supply a last name for him. Daniel himself couldn?t really remember the last movie he?d seen in a theatre. Sam, who was with Fraiser and the rest in biohazard suits, looked up to the observation room. ?General Hammond, we can?t assess any more without cracking the lid, but we think she?s still alive.?

The general leaned down into the microphone. ?Major Carter, can you get it open??

?I think so, sir,? she said. ?It appears to have its own internal power source.?

Hammond looked over at Jack, who shrugged. ?Proceed with caution, Major.?

?Yes, sir.?

Sam took one last glance at the men in the observation room before pushing a series of buttons. Then the glass ? or at least, what they?d perceived as glass ? drew back and disappeared somehow. Several seconds passed, and then the woman?s eyes op

14. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Oh, Lilith! Loved it. Loved it. Loved it!

You are going to keep going right?

You really nailed the characterizations of everyone as near as I can tell. It's been a few months since I watched any Firefly but you have me itching to rewatch every DVD now.

KD

15. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    Lilith, you just made me want to start watching this Firefly show. Great story!

Melyanna... hehe. I like it. ^^

16. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Another good Stargate cross... :)

And a Due South! Another one I would not have thought of myself. I loved the remark about experimental drugs! :)

And thanks everyone. I dug out my DVDs before I wrote it, checking the speech patterns and stuff. The crazy talk for River is definitely difficult because it's not just random babble. Most of it has real meaning behind it, just hidden by symbology, alegory, and simile.

DJcati -- do watch it. It's a great show untimely ended.

Knight_Dilettante -- I hadn't planned on going farther with the cross-over, but I do have an idea for a Firefly fanfic. :) There's just sooo much room to play with there!

17. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    rksjk5 - Thanks [face_blush] I love to write Benton. I have a few DS fics in the works for someday... Benton really has the Jedi lifestyle down though. That's part of what made the idea appealing.

Lilith - Oh please reconsider and do both. (And let me know where to find the pure Firefly when it is done so I can read it please please please please - all these new icons and we still don't have a [face_begging] yet...) The chaos that would ensue from dropping Luke into that closed group of people would be delicious! I can see so many fun things to do with how they all relate to each other. Oh man.... Pleeeeeeease? [face_begging_on _knees_with_adorable_spaniel_eyes_and_everything]

KD

18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, arrgh! I missed a whole page! Particularly with crossovers of two of my favorite series! KD, I don't care which of your two you expand, but you have GOT to make either Quantum Leap or Due South a full story! Especially Fraser's dad! LOL! And Sam as a WOOKIEE!!! [insert face of Renata hyperventilating with hysteria]

These are brilliant, you guys!

*goes off to see if the Mods are allowed to order writers to post full-length versions of very promising vignettes...*

19. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    *goes off to see if the Mods are allowed to order writers to post full-length versions of very promising vignettes...* [face_laugh] roflmao [face_laugh]

If they are allowed such a power, you use it to make Lilith do the Firefly one and I will do both QL and DS for you.

KD

edit: Having come more out of my migrane-induced stupidity, that sounds a bit like I was assuming Renata's comment referred to one of my beginnings and that is not what I meant. She knows full well she can usually con/bribe/blackmail me into writing anything. As indeed can many people. I just meant I wanted her to work on Lilith to do the Firefly one and was offering the only bribe I could think of.

20. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Decided not to worry about writing a Hornblower / Star Wars crossover because my doubts about being able to write like C.S. Forester became great, my work on it was delayed, and most importantly it would have been too long for this challenge (no real way of cutting it down).

Knight_Dilettante: Really enjoyed the Due South crossover. As Lilith Demodae said the line with Benton asking politely if he?d been given any experimental pharmaceuticals was lovely, so polite and so much like him. I liked how calm he was about everything...aside from if they?d cut his boots off! Nooooooo! Not the Boots!

djcati: Not read the Pullman novels but enjoyed the story. Poor Solos, a nice quiet camping trip and adventure finds them. At least the HDM people were able to have a good nights rest.

Lilith Demodae: Maybe I should have got the Firefly DVD boxset after all. Liked River?s comments as they were accurate but just phrased strangely. Poor Luke though, he keeps on waking up on examination tables with people with scalpels near by.

Melyanna: Good thing the SGC is an American operation rather than British or Padmé would really have been worried about them being Imperials. :)
    I like O?Neil?s reaction, though if Carter manages to convince him I wonder what could be traded (raw materials probably still have value as would artwork, labour (not slave), and the like) for antique obsolete centuries old technology such as (say) a few Star Destroyers. Of course anything from the Saga or EU would have antique value so they?d have to have something more modern. :)

21. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    I've written a Star Wars - Matrix crossover. Here it is:

The dream was over. The nightmare that was the truth had begun. Or was he still dreaming? What was truth, now that his reality had deserted him? The dark of space threatened to crush the tiny ship beneath overwhelming emptiness.

"Truth," Jensk scoffed, gazing out the porthole into oblivion. "Steal my home, steal my life, steal my cause.

And so the dreamer went on a hopeless excursion in an attempt to reclaim his life.

- - - - -

The year is unknown. The galaxy has fallen at the hands of the Yuuzhan Vong, and the survivors of their wrath have become slaves to a biological Matrix. While under the influence of this Matrix, its prisoners are under the impression that they are living during the Galactic Civil War between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance. Ignorant to the Yuuzhan Vong, the prisoners offer no resistance, with the exception of a group of freedom fighters who have liberated themselves from this virtual prison. Now, they are all that oppose the Yuuzhan Vong...

- - - - -

Jensk rolled out of bed in an old apartment deep within Lower Coruscant. A magnificent city, at least when viewed from above. Below, poverty and crime abounded. In his 'dream', Jensk was a spy within the Rebellion. As bad as conditions were, he could say he had a cause, something he lacked in reality. This world was an untruth he could not let go, despite its flaws. He knew people here - people he'd never truly met in 'reality'; but to hell with 'reality'. This was a fine enough substitute.

Jensk got up, stepping away from his cot. His apartment was a small, shabby room made up of a bed and a chest in which he kept all of his personal belongings - essentially some clothes and a blaster pistol. He dressed, grabbed the gun, and opened the door to leave.

He was greeted by a muscular black man with a deadly air. Jensk had come to regret his first meeting with this man, known as Ikelos. "Running again?" Ikelos questioned Jensk in his calm, cool voice.

"Why can't you leave me alone?" Jensk asked.

"Because running will get you nowhere."

"Perhaps I don't want to be anywhere," Jensk suggested.

"Are you trying to hide?"

"You seem to have found me."

"You can't hide from them, Jensk. They'll find you as easily as I found you, and when they find you, they'll kill you." Ikelos cooly responded.

"I'd rather die here than live in your world."

"Have you asked yourself where here is? Physically, we're lying down with our heads wired in to this thing, floating in the vastness of space. Mentally, however, I am speaking to you outside of your apartment at the bottom of Coruscant. Where are we?"

"We are at my house. I don't want you in my house. Get out of my house," Jensk gestured threateningly.

"A fight would get us both killed, if that's what you want. But then again, you're feeling suicidal today, aren't you? Have you seen a doctor?" Ikelos taunted.

"It's not wise to taunt a suicidal man. I would advise you leave, or we'll both end up dead, just like you suggested."

"Goodbye, then. Don't get yourself killed - we'll be waiting for you in reality," Ikelos walked away, leaving Jensk alone in the depths of Coruscant.

- - - - -

Jensk had to admit that he didn't have much of a plan. All that he had thought up thus far had been to walk into Imperial headquarters with his pistol, shooting everything within sight. Not much of a plan, but the worst that could happen would be death, an idea Jensk didn't mind.

That being his only option, he chose to take the elevator upwards. Jensk's apartment was conveniently located a few miles directly below the massive Imperial base of operations. It was still a long ride, but within an hour, Jensk found himself standing before the sliding doors leading into on of countless entrances to the vast building.

The doors opened, and Jensk walked inside. He found himself in a basic room with blank white walls, its only furniture a blank white desk. Jensk noticed a man behind the desk reach un

22. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    "Dodge this."
    BEST. LINE. IN. THE. MOVIE. (...well... after "Good-bye, Mr Anderson.")
    And oh-so-good in this fic.
    Very nice...

23. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    One word:

Cool.

:cool:

24. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    These are just too cool! I decided to try this and quickly discovered that keeping things short was the hardest part. Ah well. It was a great deal of fun anyway! Here's my attempt. Apologies in advance to any diehard Harry Potter fans. Writing HP fic is a completely alien concept to me. :p

-------------

Harry Potter awoke, shivering, lying face down in darkness. The chill from the floor was seeping through his school jacket, through his skin, all the way to his bones.

He couldn?t see. Not so much because it was dark as because his glasses were missing. He felt around for them and breathed a sigh of relief as his fingers closed on the familiar frames not too far from his head. Sliding the glasses onto his nose with one hand, he pushed himself upright with the other. With the return of his functional eyewear the previous darkness had yielded to distinct shadows.

A lump next to him moved, groaning softly. It sounded?female.

?Hermione?? They?d been at the Ministry of Magic, waiting in the small library while their best friend Ron Weasely visited his father?s office. Hermione had been standing right beside him, muttering to herself over the first paragraph in a strange metal-covered book when all of a sudden a blinding flash of light flooded the room. It was followed immediately by a loud popping sound, along with the tugging feeling Harry had come to associate with disapparition. Everything had gone black then and that was the last thing he remembered before waking to find himself here.

?Harry?? The lump mumbled. It was Hermione! He slid over to her and helped her sit up. The little book she?d been reading moments before was beside her on the floor. She reached for it warily and slid it into her jacket pocket.

?Are you all right?? He asked, standing as well as his cold-stiffened muscles would allow.

?I?I think so.? Hermione took his hand and allowed him to pull her to her feet. ?Where are we?? She straightened her Gryffindor blazer and plaid skirt, rubbing her hands on the wool material as if to warm them up a bit.

His eyes were adjusting to the dim light and he looked around before answering. ?I have no idea.?

They appeared to be in some kind of hallway. The walls and ceiling were made out of the same stuff as the floor, a polished black rock. It would?ve seemed like ordinary marble except that it had phosphorescent veining throughout. The effect was a hazy greenish glow. If the intent in using glowing rock was to illuminate the passage, Harry thought, it wasn?t very successful.

?Uh, Harry?? From beside him Hermione seemed to be taking stock of their situation in her usual analytical way. ?I don?t think we?re in the Ministry of Magic anymore.?

He had to agree, glancing back and forth from one end of the corridor to the other. To the left the hallway seemed to go on straight, so far he couldn?t make out the end. The other way it only went on for about 20 meters before turning sharply.

?Which way do we go?? Hermione asked softly; her eyes round and bright.

Harry looked both ways repeatedly before answering matter-of-factly. ?I guess either way is just as good. Let?s go the way that seems to end.? He started towards the right at a cautious pace. Hermione followed, pulling out her wand. She gave it a quick flick and muttered ?lumos.? A white light radiated from the wand tip, but it didn?t help much. Aside from the black endless walls there wasn?t much to see.

As they neared the point where the hall veered off they heard a rapid patter. It got louder as they listened, as if someone ? or several someones ? were running quickly towards them. They stopped, not sure of the best course of action. There was no place to hide and the source of the sound was drawing closer.

Hermione looked at him questioningly. Harry just shrugged. ?We might as well just wait.? His words were calm but his hand shook a little as he pulled his own wand out of his jacket pocket.

It didn?t take long. Seconds later three r

25. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    What's that line Hagrid has about Hermione? "More to the point, they've yet to think of a spell that our Hermione can't do." Or something like that. You would think that by the third year she would know the dangers of reading aloud from a book from a magical library. Oopsie.

That was wizard! Or witch. Whatever. Very nice, Reihla. I hope you can be cajoled into continuing this one too. I think I am a dreadful crossover fan. I wonder why. I would adore to see all of these developed into full fics. They are all so fun!

I have to confess I was ever-so-slightly puzzled by the Matrix one (but still loved it) thanks to not having seen any but the very first movie and that quite some time ago. I should rent them. DRL plays merry heck with my film watching career. It's getting to be a bit irritating.

Oh, JM by all means get the Firefly DVDs if you can. It was a woefully under appreciated series if you ask me.

KD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.