main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers' Challenge 7 - When galaxies collide (The Cross-over challenge).

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit', May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    ooh, the HP one's good... I wouldn't mind reading a full version of that. ^^

2. thegreatyoda

thegreatyoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    Nice HP crossover. Although I felt it really needed to have Ron in it. Harry and Hermione without Ron is like Threepio without R2. It's great, but just...not right. Don't let my Ron bias take away from my praise for the work though. I really did enjoy it.

3. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Title: The Serpent Strikes -- A Drabble
    Timeframe: About 800 years pre-TPM
    Focus: Yoda

Yoda could imagine Master Edmund clicking his tongue. "Tsk, tsk, padawan, what did I say about appearances?" Yet Yoda had let himself be fooled by the human's shabby exterior, had failed to notice the Dark Side rolling off him.

Now he was on his knees in front of a masked figure clad in tight black. "So, Yoda," the man said, his voice shockingly familiar, "how do you like my new apprentice? I hope Baldrick hasn't roughed you up too badly."

"Master Edmund?"

"Haven't you guessed? I am Sith now," he said, removing his mask. "You may call me Darth Blackadder!"

4. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Reihla Nice HP ficlet there. :)

Drabbo_Fett BLACKADDER!! :eek: Am I congratulating a fellow Brit, or are you merely a very enlightened foreigner? :p I never thought I'd see Blackadder crossed with SW - great drabble though! :D I'd love to see that one expanded into a full-length fic - contact me if you do. :)

=D=

Nem :)

5. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    JediNemesis, I'm probably going to shock a few people (particularly those who've read my crossovers with Blackadder, Doctor Who, and Just a Minute and my idea for one with Biggles), but I'm an American. I just follow some British media.

[It's easy enough to work out how I can follow the television shows, though the others may be less obvious. For radio programs, I use the BBC's online "Listen Again" function. Since none of the Biggles books has ever (so far as I know) been published here, I had to use Inter-Library Loan for the few I've read. It's a great ego boost to know that a book was mailed from Wales to Texas for the sole purpose of letting me read it. :D ]

As for expanding this one, I wouldn't know where to go with it.

6. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I love BlackAdder, even though the closest I've been to Britain is looking at pictures in the travel guides. Nice X-over, by the way. Edmund would make a wonderful Sith.

7. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I love Blackadder too. I have been in Britain and I come by my anglophilism genetically. (Me mum was a Brit 'till she married my dad and moved here.)

So this would be Blackadder Millenium Edition or something? (You know,"A long time ago....")

Wales! I could get books from Wales by interlibrary loan? :boggle: Whoa. Time to make a whole new list of things I want to read but really can't afford to buy!

KD

8. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    KD:

So this would be Blackadder Millennium Edition or something? (You know,"A long time ago....")

Wales! I could get books from Wales by interlibrary loan? :boggle: Whoa. Time to make a whole new list of things I want to read but really can't afford to buy!

In reverse order, my university had some really good people in the ILS -- Inter-Library Services, rather than Loan -- office, which didn't charge, so it was a great deal for me.

On the other, I haven't seen Blackadder: Back and Forth -- the special made to celebrate the Millennium Dome -- and was just taking advantage of the series' flexibility for a quick laugh. [I have the first three DVDs, but not the fourth or fifth (which has the aforementioned special), just in case someone wants to get me a belated birthday gift. :p ]

And LD:

I love BlackAdder, even though the closest I've been to Britain is looking at pictures in the travel guides.

Oh, I'd say watching British films and television would be closer than seeing still pics.

9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Right, a longer Blackadder crossover is another mod demand! ;) Poor Sith... there's Edmund, trying to do his master's bidding, and the only evil accomplice he has is BALDRICK???!! [face_laugh]

Anyone remember the other 6 posts? I'm trying to think of #8, and don't want to repeat anything. There was description, I thought. And action. Did we have dialogue or point of view/voice yet?

10. thegreatyoda

thegreatyoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    These are all the challenges that have been done so far.

Writer?s Challenge 1 - Sight

Writer?s Challenge 2 ? Word Awareness

Writer?s Challenge 3 ? Dialogue and Defining characters

Writer?s Challenge 4 - Light

Writer?s Challenge 5 ? Death and Dying

Writer?s Challenge 6 - Action

11. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Yoda, there's a reason you're great!

I'll ponder challenge #8. Have a few ideas, but does anyone have anything they'd like to see on the list? These are supposed to be challenges to sharpen writing skills in a variety of areas. And don't forget the Summer Challenge is up, too!

I have loved this one the most, so far.

12. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I'm working on a cross-over--but I don't know when I'll get it done. I've loved everyone's so far--we have so many creative and good writers on these boards.

13. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Renata I have one I will send you by PM

This one is my favorite too for sheer fun value. Some of the others taught me more though, I think.

KD

14. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    This's been my favourite too. :)

Renata, just an idea - maybe instead of letting it sink into obscurity once challenge 8 goes up, you could rename it something like the Crossover Discussion/Advice Thread? Somewhere to post random crossover ideas, beginnings, endings, whatever, ask for advice on writing characters from other fandoms or finding Macguffins for how to manage the actual crossing point . . . that sort of thing. :) I'd use it, for one. :) It just seems like we've got support groups and discussion threads for practically everything else, but not for X-overs. *shrug*

If I'm being an idiot, pay me no mind. :p

Nem [face_skull]

15. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    We've done a challenge on Light, why not do one on Darkness? [face_devil]

16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, there isn't an expiration date, really. We can keep this up as long as we want. Besides, I just got an evil, evil idea today... [face_devil]

17. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Right, here is the evil bunny for fans of obscure British comedies...

?I?m sorry, madam, I?m afraid we are not open for visitors!?

?Of course, my good man, but we?re just here for the Archives.?

?The Archives? Do you have an app--??

Obi-Wan Kenobi paused in the corridor to see a plump yet determined woman push her way past Padawan Trarourr. Her hair was carefully coiffed in a cap of curls, and a remarkable hat of bright green fabric with sprays of teilflowers was perched precariously on top. She paused, gazing around the inner cloister garden, clasping white-gloved hands rapturously across her ample bosom. ?Oh, Richard, it?s just as I imagined it!?

The young Jedi Master peered past this apparition to see an older man, round shouldered and haggard-looking, shuffling along behind her. His long jacket was a dark, tweedy brown and even his moustache looked defeated.

Obi-Wan glanced at Trarourr, who was looking panicked. He cleared his throat. ?May I help you, madam???

?Oh, yes, please!? She beamed at him. ?Are you a Jedi Master??

?Well, um, yes, I am, actually!?

?Of course you are!? She turned to her husband. ?I recognized it right off, you can always tell Quality, Richard!? She turned back to Obi-Wan. ?I?m a little Force-Sensitive myself, you know,? she confided.

?Indeed??

?Oh, yes. My son, Sheridan ? he?s at University, of course ? I always know when he?s upset or anxious. It?s like a telepathic link!?

?I?see?? said Obi-Wan slowly. The woman stepped forward to admire the garden, while the man shifted his weight from foot to foot, and cast an apologetic glance at Obi-Wan. ?Was there something--??

?What a beautiful garden! And you have starflowers!? She smiled again at Obi-Wan. ?I have them on my china, you know. Royal Naboovian bone china, with hand-painted starflowers. I use it at my Candlelight Suppers.?

?Do you?? said Obi-Wan, who had lost track of the conversation altogether.

?Oh, yes.? The woman shot a white-gloved hand out, clasping his arm with surprising strength. ?You must come to one of my Candlelight Suppers some time!?

?I?Well, that would be?we will have to see,? stammered Obi-Wan. ?Was there something I could help you with? You came??

?To do research, Master Jedi!? She beamed. ?In the Archives. Genealogical research. I called the Archivist and told her I was coming.?

?And the name??

?B-U-C-K-E-T.?

?Master and Mistress Bucket??

The woman grimaced, squeezing his arm more tightly. Behind her, her husband cleared his throat apologetically.

?It?s pronounced Boo-KAY,? he murmured.

?I see. Well, please come with me, Mistress Buck?Bookay.?

The woman beamed, and tucked her hand in Obi-Wan?s as they headed towards the elevator. ?Oh, please,? she simpered. ?Call me Hyacinth.?

18. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    Ooooh, M_R. Still, though, is Keeping Up Appearances all that obscure? Now I'm wondering about the GFFA equivalent of Steptoe and Son or Dad's Army.

19. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    I don?t think it is that obscure.

I suspect there would be rag-and-bone men in the GFFA, even if you discount the Jawas there was the problem mentioned in the BFC with people salvaging battle-sites for equipment and weaponry. Could have a son wanting to better himself with education and being held back by dad wanting him to run the salvage ship (or Sandcrawler).

Not sure about Dad?s Army as no war in the GFFA (as far as I know) has been as all consuming and total. Even the Yuuzhan Vong invasion didn?t lead to conscription and a drain on the GFFAs available manpower to the extent that the young and elderly were required to act as an initial line of defence. Would have affected the NJO quite a lot if most of the Peace Brigade (as people fit and young enough for military service) were pressed into the New Republic Defence Force and most of their ships subjected to compulsory purchase orders as fleet auxiliaries.

That said though the Yuuzhan Vong themselves did have problems with their number of available warriors and were forced to return younger and older warriors to the frontlines, so there may be a possibility of a Yuuzhan Vong Home Guard of those warriors that were left to protect their worldships and the planets they?d captured.

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm gonna try and work on a Transformers crossover, and I think this should be turned into a discussion thread on various crossovers and how to make them work. If there's one genre that has no middle ground, it's this one. There are almost no mediocre crossovers. It's almost always really good, or horrible. All the ones on this thread are, of course, maginficent.

And why is that? Why can crossovers be one of the most challenging genres in fanfic? I'd be happy to share my insights on that, if anyone's interested.

21. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Transformers? The only ideas I came up for that would have been either the obvious Death Star versus Unicron (yay! Next year there should be an Autobot City Earth and people should have Jet Skateboards according to Transformers: The Movie) or something about the Creation Matrix being a reservoir of the force, thanks to it being much of the essence of the lord of the light gods Primus, and so this meaning the Transformers truly were alive.

Sounds good, best of luck.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Actually, JM, I was planning on having the Ark (the Autobot's ship) and the Nemesis (the Decepticon's ship)separate during the fight. The Ark would land on Myrkr; the Nemesis on Chiron. They'd awaken during the NJO and fight the Vong separately until Unicron shows up. It's eventually revealed that energon, the primary TF fuel source, is the blood of Primus, God of light, and all Force sensitive beings have energon in their veins.

Then Unicron eats Coruscant and Zonoma Sekot. Here's an excerpt I'm writing...right now!

Lusa's hooves carried her across the plains of Chiron, sending up a thunderous sound. Behind her, seven Voxyn trailed behind her. Farther back, three Vong handlers trailed behind. She abruptly stopped and turned around, sweeping at one of the fur-covered lizards with her lightsaber. The silvery plasma blade sliced through its head, sending the top half of the skull flying off. She simultaneously thrust a corusca gem-tipped spear into its hide, killing it.

she pulled the spear out and scanned the field she was in. An old Bothan curse escaped her lips as she saw the Voxyn surround her. The Vong handlers approached cautiously; there were ten before. One of them spoke. "We commend you, Jeedai. You will have an honorable death." Lusa's forelegs pawed at the ground. "I'll see your kind in hell!" She snarled. The Vong nodded, then cried out in his native language. Lusa's danger sense told her to turn around, but she knew it would be too late...

A Voxyn leapt at her, but an onyx blur intercepted the creature, knocking it aside and decapitating it. Lusa's brown eyes tracked it, and when it came to rest nearly five meters away, it appeared to be a Vornskr, complete with muzzle, red eyes and long tail. However, there were certain problems with that. For one, Lusa knew of no wild Vornskrs on Chiron, and she was certain she'd be able to sense the quadrupeds if they were here. Another thing that gave her pause was the set of missile launchers strapped to its hindquarters. Finally, most Vornskrs were not made of metal or emitted synthetic growls.

One of the Vong handlers shouted. "Destroy that abomination!" To everyone's shock, the 'abomination' spoke. "I am no abomination. I am Ravage." Lusa's mouth dropped open in shock. Logically, since this was just a machine, it was possible for it to have a vocalizer. Still, some part of her thought of it as a Vornskr-just a dumb animal. Ravage looked up at her and did a quick scan of her. The Decepticon let a synthesized chuckle escape from his mouth. This organic had large amounts of energon in her bloodstream! Other organics in the area had energon, but not in this amount. Before he could speak further, Ravage spotted another animal getting ready to attack the quadruped. Unlike her, this thing had no energon in it, and thus was perfectly viable as a target. Before it could attack, Ravage's pneumatically-powered legs carried it over. Razor-sharp fangs and teeth that could snap a durasteel cable made short work of it.

A Vong handler shouted again, but Ravage simply looked up and targeted the three humanoids. Highly accurate sensors locked onto them, and the missile strapped to ravage's right hind leg launched, streaking to them and exploding right in their midst. All three were thrown about by the explosion and landed in twisted, mangled heaps. Despite herself, Lusa said a small prayer for them, then skewered another Voxyn with her spear. Without their masters, the other Jedi-killers died rather easily by Lusa's lightsaber and spear and Ravage's claws and teeth. When it was over, Lusa turned to him and bowed. "I thank you." She said.

Ravage motioned to the underbrush with his left foreleg. "My leader would like to speak to you. We have been deactivated for many vorns, and we need information." Lusa reached out with the Force and scanned the droid, but a gasp escaped her lips when she felt it...him. He was alive! She nodded. "Yes, we have much to talk about."

23. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Unicron eats Nomona Sekot? Seems like that would give him a tummy-ache. :)

Good plot. Can have some fun with the Transformers still having their Cybertronian vehicle modes since they wouldn?t have been rebuilt to hide themselves as Earth vehicles by the semi-malfunctioning Ark.

Nice exciting extract, interesting choice of Transformer but definitely one of the coolest. Liked how insulted Ravage felt about being called an ?abomination? and how shocked Lusa was in finding Ravage wouldn?t qualify under the Joorus C?Boath definition either (?creatures that think and reason but are not part of the force?).

Felt a little sorry for the Voxyn considering just how fast, durable, and deadly Ravage is (even without using his other missile or his flamethrower ?breath?).

24. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Sorry M_R, That's nothing like obscure enough for this crowd. But it was very funny.... I'll have to look for a couple of these others that are mentioned though. They sound interesting. And so far as I know they have not been broadcast here. At least not while I have been able to watch.

You've inspired me though. I may do another eventually... hee hee hee hee hee

KD

25. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Star Wars and Keeping up Appearance, bloody fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.