main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers Race--- It Is Done!!!! * 1st--duskwings, * 2-DarthIshtar & Drabbo_Fett, 3-Indra

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kettch_the_Jedi, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Duskwings, I use Word 2001 for Mac, and what I do is run the spellcheck and use the word count that appears with the readability stats. It counts a hyphenate as one word and doesn't count punctuation at all. And believe me, I've used it hundreds of times to verify hand counts of my drabbles.

2. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Drabbo, I have no idea how Microsoft Word works. Nor do I particularly care. ;) What I do know, however, is that Kettch was, as of two days ago, using a word-counter that did count random punctuation as words. That word-counter, as far as I can tell, is the default Microsoft Word word-counter -- probably the one that you access through either a button or a menu, if Word is anything like AppleWorks. That is what I am objecting to -- that Microsoft Word bills something as "word count" that really isn't.

-duskwings

3. Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina Jedi Master star 3

Jul 4, 2002
    Quick question--is everybody participating in the race, even those who didn't submit an entry for Challenge 2, voting on Challenge 2? Or is it only those who submitted an entry?

4. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002

Only those who submitted. That way it doesn't become an "I'm going to get all my board friends to drop by and vote for mine" problem. :)

5. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    The results for the first challenge are in. [fanfare music] Congrats to all participants. It was an enjoyable--although difficult as you can see by the two ties--duty for the judges to read the entries. :)

1st Place-- Shaindl
    2nd Place-- duskwings
    3rd Place-- JediNemesis and Wilhelmina

Shaindl

An odd whisper through the trees was his only warning.

Blue light flashed, and Jedi Knight Maitan Grygora barely managed to leap out of the way. Curling into a ball as he flew, he hit the ground cleanly, rolling to his feet in one fluid motion. Ducking and weaving through the trees, he fought to evade the stormtroopers blaster bolts.

Escape, he knew, would be next to impossible this time. For a few months, he had run for his life, as he knew his brother and sister Jedi across the galaxy were doing. Gods alone knew, though, how many of them were left. Hunted like they were exotic prey, their kind grew closer and closer to extinction every day.

In a few minutes, the faint hope he had had that he might escape with his life faded. Jedi like him ? teachers, historians, archivists ? weren?t meant to be in the field, chasing and being chased. Keeping abreast of politics on countless worlds, discovering new medicines, taking care of the crèche children?those were their jobs. Life on the run certainly was not.

Maitan ducked behind a tree, wincing as a blaster bolt took off a chunk of wood by his ear. Nearby he could hear the faint babbling of a brook. On a different day, in a different galaxy, he knew he would have found the small world he had run to pleasant and calming, a place to rest when the stress of a Jedi?s life became too much.

Perhaps becoming one with the Force would give him the rest he suddenly craved.

Quietly, he moved a hand down to his hip, to the lightsabre he had used more in six months than he had in his entire life with the Jedi prior to that. Reaching out with his senses, he realised he was surrounded, the troopers having circled around to ensnare him in their trap. Standing straight, he lunged out from behind the tree, weapon snapping to life in one fluid motion.

Time stopped as his blade wove a complex pattern in the night air. Under a barrage of fire from all sides, he drew upon every scrap of knowledge the Jedi had ever given him, becoming more of a swordsman than he knew he could be in the last minutes of his life.

Victory would not ? could not ? be his, not that night. Weariness began to overwhelm him; weariness of a fugitive?s life, bone-deep weariness from not enough food and not enough sleep. Yet the blood of a Jedi ran through his veins, and he was still on his feet when the final shot came.

Zero regrets filled him as he finally got the peace he so desperately wanted.

Pasta Problems, by duskwings

"Absolutely horrible. Barely fit for human consumption," Jaina pronounced, dropping her fork to the plate with a clatter.

"Come on, it can't be that bad," Kyp said, then winced as she turned her glare from the food to him.

"Do you like your noodles so overcooked that they are, quite literally, dissolving in that horrible sauce? Even you have to admit that that's not edible, and that's saying something."

"First of all, I'm actually a pretty good cook."

Giggles were the only response to his declaration.

He glared. "I am!"

Jaina smiled. "Kyp, you are, without a doubt, the worst cook I have ever met -- and believe me, I've seen a lot of bad cooks."

"Laugh if you like, but I had a lot of training. My mother introduced me to the art of cooking when I was only five years old. Now, I'm not saying that I'm the best in the world, but I am pretty good."

"Oh, yes. Pudding definitely belongs on the ceiling."

"Quiet, you."

"Right, like I'm suddenly going to start obeying your orders after -- how long has it been?"

"Seven years since I saw you on Dubrillion and thought you were the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen," he replied, voice suddenly soft. "To the day,"

6. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Congrats, you guys! Those were all awesome! :)

Quick question. Are you going to post the stories that didn't place, also, or just the winners? :)

7. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    Here are the other entries, each of which was enjoyable to read in its own way. One had a great ending, two made me lose my place (checking the alphabet) because I became so involved in the stories and one made me lol. :) Thanks for such great entries. You all did receive a "Good Story" point for this challenge. :) I have to say, the worst thing about running one of these (besides juggling it with DRW) is not being allowed to just say they were all great. But, hey, it wouldn't be a competitive race if we did that.

And soon it will be your chance to vote... :)

So without further ado here are the other entries--in no particular order--for the first challenge.

Lady_Jedi_Carenix

?And then what?? Jacen asked, somewhat exasperated at the convoluted wedding plans.

Batting her eyes in an uncharacteristically playful manner, Tenel Ka crept forward on her soft Hapan sofa to plant a firm kiss on Jacen?s mouth.

?Can we just skip to that part?? he asked, panting slightly. Doing her best not to laugh, Tenel Ka couldn?t stop a small smile from forming on her face.

?Even a Queen Mother cannot change tradition in a day,? she remarked softly.

For a moment, Jacen gave Tenel Ka such a pleading look that she couldn?t control herself. Giggling, Tenel Ka tried to lean away but Jacen quickly caught her around the waist with both hands.

?Hello, what have we here?? Jacen teased, cuddling.

?I believe Her Royal Highness is?giggling,? Tenel Ka answered seriously before giving in and letting another giggle escape.

?Just checking,? he murmured, turning his mouth towards Tenel Ka?s. Kissing her softly, Jacen drew Tenel Ka closer. Lovingly, he started to caress the small of her back when her hand touched his face, breaking their kiss.

?Maybe we should not be doing this right now,? Tenel said, her voice shaky.

Not wanting to let go, Jacen rubbed his cheek against Tenel Ka?s and gently bit her on the neck.

?Or maybe I should rearrange my schedule,? Tenel Ka amended, her grip on control becoming more tenuous with each passing moment.

?Perhaps we ought to come back at another time?? a familiar male voice asked.

Questioningly, Tenel Ka looked around to the find the source of the voice. Right behind her, Zekk waved sheepishly.

?Sorry about the interruption,? Zekk apologized, embarrassment obvious on his face.

Thinking she should stand, Tenel Ka let out a surprised yelp when Jacen held onto her and bit her neck harder.

?Unless it?s a matter of life-or-death, I am not letting go,? Jacen?s muffled voice declared.

?Very stubborn today, are we?? Tenel asked rhetorically, happy to leave Jacen where he was.

While Jacen and Tenel Ka were distracted, Jaina came up behind Zekk and wrapped her arms around him.

?You can tell them,? Jaina whispered softly into Zekk?s ear, smiling.

Zekk cleared his throat and made an announcement that made both Jacen?s and Tenel Ka?s jaw drop, ?Jaina and I wanted you two to be the first to know: we?re having a baby!?

Drabbo_Fett

The Valley of Death

Across the valley, the armies came ever closer. Boots tore up the wet ground. Clumps of grass and mud flew through the air. Droids rolled alongside, tearing deep gouges. Every inch of the valley would be ripped apart before this day was done.

From somewhere in the distance, a whistle blew. Gongs clashed. Horns sounded. Instantly, chaos erupted. Just as the first combatants were about to reach each other, a blast shredded them and all around them. Ki-Adi-Mundi, watching from a ridge above, scanned the battle for the blast's source. Lightsaber ignited, he raced down the hill. Mud splattered his tunic as he entered the fray. Neither species in this conflict was supposed to have weaponry this powerful.

Over to his right, another blast rocked the valley. Passing stunned and confused warriors, the Jedi raced for the spot. Quite how this could be happening, he shuddered to think. Running full out, he couldn't stop as he reached the cr

8. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Congrats on 1st place, Shaindl! =D=
    And the other four for getting points. I'll write a review tomorrow; it's too late now. But I just read through your stories and the points are very well deserved. :)

9. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Lusa,

Ack! You were too fast. :) As you can see I did post the others; it's just this ************** dial-up connection. :)

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Awesome. So many great entries.

11. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    Time for the judging for Challenge 2!

Listed below are the stories. Please choose your top three favorite(besides your own) and PM me letting me know which one you would choose for 1st place, which one for second place and which for third. Just tell me their letter. For example, you could say

1st--Z
    2nd--Y
    3rd--X

You have until Monday, noon to vote. :) Enjoy. :)

STORY A

Outsider

The main street of Theed is an ocean of colours, flags and banners everywhere, the masses of beings stretching in every direction, cheering for the victory, cheering towards the leaders and the rescuers of Naboo. Among the masses am I. I?m not cheering, but then it would probably surprise everybody if I did. I am different and everyone knows it.

When I was a child I wanted to be a pilot. It?s a most unusual wish among my people and it was the first thing in my life that made me an outsider.

I look like the rest of my species; long limbs, leathery skin, stalked eyes. Eyes that cannot cry. If they could, there would be nothing in the world stopping me now. Our outward appearance is the same, but I am an alien on the inside.

My family was always loving, always supportive. They never let me feel how different I was and so it took longer than it would have otherwise for me to realise that fact.

When I went to school I asked my teacher why we weren?t living in peace with the Naboo. I think it was in that moment that I really realised how much I didn?t belong. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was being stupid for asking such a question, that it was the most logical thing in the world. I?m not sure I ever really understood the reason, even to this day.

Peace is here now. We fought the intruders and came out as the great heroes. Boss Nass is standing on the podium together with Queen Amidala and the Jedi, who had come to help her. Not us, but the Naboo. We weren?t important. We were the cannon-fodder, the means to an end. They had to send someone to be slaughtered and so they sent us. We were ?sacrificing our lives for our planet?, but we won nothing.

When I grew up, my parents and siblings were the only ones who didn?t make fun of me. They were the only ones who loved me, the only ones who knew me. But there comes a time in everybody?s life when the love of the family isn?t enough anymore. It wasn?t long after that realisation sat in that I knew I would never have anything else.

My people are not tolerant. Being different is something they don?t understand. There are many things they don?t understand. Like dying. But I do and that again makes me an outsider. When my family was ripped into pieces, everyone else was running away. Everyone but me.

I was an outsider all my life. Being on my own isn?t a new feeling for me. Being alone in the world is. The real victims of this war are celebrating with the enemies who stand up there on the podium. Their dead loved ones were only a distraction. For once I have something in common with my people.

STORY B

As he and Han turned to face the cheering Rebels, Luke felt the beginning of tears behind his eyes. He tried blinking them back, but they continued to come, at the same time a lump began to form in his throat. He chalked it up to excitement; after all, he had just helped the Alliance destroy the Death Star. Yet he knew these were not tears of happiness. Even more, he knew why his eyes were threatening to shed them.

I shouldn?t be standing here alone. He thought to himself. Biggs should have been here with me.

The thought of his old friend caused him to suck in a sharp breath. Han, standing next to him, cast him a curious sidelong glance. Luke responded with a shake of his head, which he tried to make reassuring. He felt his chest tighten at the memories of the times spent with Biggs on Tatooine, whether it was racing along Beggar?s Canyon or meeting with friends at the cantina in Anchorhead.

He remembered his happiness at seeing his friend among the Rebel fighters at the Yavin bas

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Shaindl ... that was great, so fluid!

k_d...OOOhhh, Obi-Wan turned Vader!! Cool!

duskwings... I can so relate to Jaina.. I hate noodles you can gum to death! Wonderful flow.

Wilhelmina ... Dramatic and action.. I'm so envious!

JediNemesis... Wow, that was awesome!

To all the rest.. Lady_Jedi_Carenix, Drabbo_Fett, Lusa_Thul, jodiwent, Indra, LadyPadme, Analise, Jaina_and_Jag and pokey, job fantastically done. A delight to read so many different ideas! :)

13. Analise

Analise Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2004
    Good stuff, guys!

I've enjoyed everything I've read so far. :)

14. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    Too...many...depressing...stories. Must...choose...only...three...! *thunk*

15. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Too...many...depressing...stories. Must...choose...only...three...! *thunk*

lol!! Maybe I should have made the humor challenge directly follow this one. :)

:)

16. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Wow! Fantastic work everyone. Both in the first challenge and the second one. I can't wait for the third challenge. Maybe I'll actually catch it to be able to write in it this time. :)

Congrats winners of the first challenge!

17. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Congrats to the Alphabet Soup winners.

I am amazed at how awesome all of the entrys were.

As for the second challange, it is going to be hard to rank them. Right now, one does stand out, but there are about five others fighting for second and third in my mind. I'm going to go re-read later and P.M. my vote to Kettch.

BTW Kettch, thanks for all of your hard work in organizing this.

18. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

You are welcome. :) I enjoy doing it. And, I'll be thankful to get back to by DSL connection when I get home tonight. ;)

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Um, random comment, but I have been through that list a few times and I don't see me in there (for the "other" ones of challenge 1). Am I missing something or just blind? Were not all posted? If I'm not supposed to be in there, no big, just trying to find out if I got judged in the first place. No biggie, will post mine here.

20. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Oh, those were all so awesome! Way to make it hard for me to choose, guys! :p

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree! I'm so glad I get to see all these without knowing who did them. I want to guess whose is which and see how close I get.

22. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Whoa there's another Tales of the Jedi fic on these boards! And to make it all the more strange, JediNemesis wrote the same scene as I did (only that I didn't do it for the challenge) and wrote it from the pov of the Ulic instead of Cay!

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  24. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Hey, I have a question...

Right now, the schedule reads like we're just skipping challence three for right now and moving on to challenge four. Is that the case or are all challenges postponed until further notice?

Oh, and congrats to the Alphabet soup winners, great job guys! (and girls :) )

25. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Only Challenge 3 is postponed. The rest will continue on as scheduled and I will just try to find an extra time to add in that third challenge.

Remember challenge 4 is this afternoon at 3pm board time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.