main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers Race--- It Is Done!!!! * 1st--duskwings, * 2-DarthIshtar & Drabbo_Fett, 3-Indra

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kettch_the_Jedi, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Okay, if we've gone over our entry as much as we can and can't find any double words, are we allowed to pm it to someone else to check over just to make sure?

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, I've been freaking out with this "lead" stuff.

::Bangs head as instructed.::

Due to a procrastinating, tyrannical blonde who is incapable of doing her own research (mom with a thesis due), I can't possibly finish this challenge. I've got a few hundred words and no way to finish.

So...

I AM WILLING TO JUDGE

3. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    A few hundred? Wow...

4. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    All right, I'll go first. 86 words if I haven't repeated any.

?Ready?? Its voice permeates my consciousness.

?For???

?When Life as you know it at last ceases.?

?What does that mean?? Confusion and mounting despair reign.

?The Force has decreed an end to Light ? all Jedi will die.?

?Liar! Hold your tongue!?

Otherworldly cackling makes human flesh crawl. ?Blackness ? Darkness ? approaches.?

?Explain.?

?Why?? Malicious glee is heard.

Words flee, leaving silence. But something must be said. ?Because??

More mocking laughter. ?A singularly worthless response.?

Anger rises. ?Answer!?

?No.?

Unseen wind howls around me.

I am forever alone.

5. Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina Jedi Master star 3

Jul 4, 2002
    Final check on word repetition--sorry, I'm obsessing--does using a word and using it in a contraction count as a difference? E.g. "Have" and "not" vs. "Haven't"?

6. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002

Yes, you can PM it to someone. And, yes both "have not " and "haven't" can be used. :) Just make sure you don't use those words anywhere else in the story.

7. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Mine's done, but I'm waiting to see if any other entries get turned in before I absolutly have to turn mine in...

8. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    Eh, here goes nothing (word count 219?) --

Frozen tundra spread across nearly barren landscape, stretching out farther than most humanoid species eyes could see. Nothing remarkable or particularly noteworthy existed in this desolate place. Yet somehow icy Hoth had gotten picked for hiding Rebels running from an evil Empire. Between bitter chilling existence and relentlessly painful Imperial capture, Han sometimes wondered which would win getting to him. Possibilities weighed themselves, thoughts swirling round Solo?s mind. Finally he grudgingly concluded that Princess Leia had first shot. Bored and desperately needing distraction, Solo looked at Skywalker, one of two sentient beings currently present.

?How many different words are there for ice?? the smuggler asked, cold making his teeth chatter, body shiver uncontrollably.

?Why do you bring that up when nothing can be done about our conditions?? Luke responded exasperated, rubbing numb fingers repeatedly but not complaining.

Han?s characteristically sarcastic voice shot back, ?Just making conversation, kid. Ain?t like we have lots to do otherwise besides freeze.?

Luke?s face held great irritation. ?Focus here.?

?Farm boy, exactly what am I looking at besides white cold snow?? the unhappy Corellian demanded.

Silence followed until Skywalker?s simple statement, ?Watch.?

Talking ceased completely once daybreak reached endless untouched plains. Light reflected intensely until colored rays created a sparkling winter wonderland that neither man ever imagined with such beauty.

?Amazing.?

?Thought so.?

9. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    er, well, here goes nothing at something like 104 words.

Ice cold air filled Han's lungs as he attempted recuperation at
    seeing Leia kiss Luke. It had hurt. In fact, more than was entirely
    appropriate. What kind of an idiot am I? disparaging
    thoughts flitted through that confused head. Nerfherder, you ain't
    got a chance. Princesses and smugglers don't belong together.

Sighing Solo turned to board his one true love-the faithful
    Millennium Falcon. She did not get huffy, leaving
    him for kid Jedis. Scruffy-looking indeed! Those who passed by
    heard disgruntled shouts, about women bruising egos, exiting this ship's cockpit accompanied with muffled Wookie growls compliments from co-pilot Chewbacca,
    while engines powered up.

10. Wilhelmina

Jul 4, 2002
    Okay, this'll be unreadable if I tweak it anymore. :p 211 words.

~*~

"I am in so much trouble if they find I'm shirking kitchen duty," panted Commander Skywalker.

"But snow!" responded his companion, grinning. "You come from a warm planet. Haven't visions of snowmen danced through your head since we landed on Hoth?"

"Men? Women, maybe," he laughed. "Angels. Beasts. Forts. Balls."

"Aha," she said, brown eyes sparkling mischieviously. "Battle?"

"What?"

"Short one? Please? Five minutes, tops. Royal's honor."

"Wouldn't be fair. Force sensitivity, and all."

"Right. Mister fancy Knight won't play games anymore."

An icy gust swept away any reply there might have been. Tongue protruding impishly, Princess Organa continued prodding Luke. "Then don't use those skills. Jedi's sacred promise. Tatooine farmboy's vow. Something." Tiny gloved hands began packing cold whiteness into spherical form. "Fun needs to happen here. Or Palpatine wins."

"You're really serious?"

"Deadly."

Afternoon sunlight glanced off distant hills, momentarily blinding both.

"Ouch..."

"Leia?"

"It's too bright..."

Luke's arms reached out before she'd collapsed.

"Highness!" Han's voice carried over winter's wailing winds.

Blond eyebrows raised. "Han? What's happened?"

"Caf overdose. Sorry, kid," muttered the smuggler. "Didn't want more problems. Just less ice."

Discerning Jedi Masters might've spotted redness upon General Solo's cheeks having little connection with chilly weather.

"I'll take her Worship inside."

"No! War!"

"Kill me tomorrow, sweetheart."

11. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    I wrote an auto-magical word-duplication checker in perl, so finding duplicates is easy for me ... feel free to PM me your piece if you'd like me to check for you. It's not a guaranteed thing, but it will prevent the obvious errors. :)

Kettch - Quick question -- does "made up words" include place names? And OC names?

Shaindl - Wow, nice story and no word duplicates! And I don't even think you used the word "the"!

Lady_Jedi_Carenix - Lovely story. Really lovely. :D I like the imagery of the sunrise -- it's very clear, in my head, of what's happening. :) Unfortunately, at least according to my checker, you have repeated several words at least once: had, and, for, that, nothing, shot, making, to, do, at, besides, cold, the, until, and that.

kateydidnt - Aw, poor Han. Only the poor Millenium Falcon loves him. And Chewie, of course. And Leia, if he'd stop to think about her. ;) I'm happy to report that I don't see any duplicated words.

Wilhelmina - Uh, I'm a little confused as to what happened in the end -- Luke and Leia were about to have a snowball fight, and then Leia collapsed and ... Han said that she had a caf overdose that may or may not have been his fault? And then carried her back in? :confused: Well, in any case, I can't find any repeated words, and I found the first part of it inordinately cute. I'm a sucker for Luke and Leia stories. ;)

-duskwings

12. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Lady_Jedi,

Some words were found repeating in your story--for example, "and" and "cold".

But it was amusing Han dialogue/thoughts. :)

Remember you can submit two entries.

13. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    duskwings,

Any Star Wars word is legit, including planets. So if you are talking about Alderanian festivals, you can use the word "Alderanian". Made-up character names are allowed only if they are used somewhere in the Star Wars official literature. So, for example you can name a character Tarkin Organa but not ZZeedljfoe Ljfen. :)

14. Wilhelmina

Jul 4, 2002
    duskwings: Hehe, yeah, pretty much. I ran out of words. :p Han slipped something in Leia's drink to help her loosen up a little, and it backfired. I was going to replace 'caf' with something else, but decided to leave it in. I know I can get pretty hopped up on caffeine. Aaanyway...

Thanks for the nice review! :)

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Or maybe i will manage to do this.

16. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Wait a sec ... so as long as the OCs names are composed of some first name and some last name that exist in Star Wars literature, then it's OK? I find that ... odd, to say the least, but I guess I'll start renaming them.

Can I use names that are in the dictionary, as well?

-duskwings

17. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    We're not supposed to repeat names, right? If not, Wilhemina, you used "Luke" twice.

Okay, my entry is 190, I think... not sure how grammatical it is though...

Space... ice... both could be equally cold and resided with great abundance within Hoth?s solar system. Princess Leia settled on frost covered chairs inside recreational room seventeen. Boots froze to the floor almost instantly here.

?Hey Your Highnessness!? Solo called from across frozen furniture.

?What now, Captain??

?When will we get those heaters High Command promised us weeks ago?? That insufferable grin painted roguish features.

Not finding enough warmth in her body, she utilized a long-suffering sigh instead. ?I am not my superiors, flyboy. Sorry, can?t help you.?

Seeing lovely features twisted in scowl, he said, ?Careful, frowns freeze from this weather.?

?Who fed you such misinformation??

?What, did I find something Milady doesn?t know?? Honorific based insults; his specialty, of course.

?Please, spare me nerf-herder language lessons.? Only below zero temperatures left Alderaan?s future Queen nothing but light banter. Force was it frigid!

?There haven?t been any supply ships for days...?

?Don?t even say...?

?Shouldn?t someone...?

?You were warned...?

?Hit some spacelanes...?

Strangled gasps exited his throat as diminutive hands began encircling Han?s neck. ?Nobody will leave until further notice. Clear??

Again breathing, he choked through an answer. ?Very...?

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    This was absolutely terrible to do! Okay, lots of fun too I think. LOL!

Here's mine, a bit weird. Supposedly 150 words.

Cold doesn?t cut it anymore? actually, there are absolutely zilch words fitting enough to describe living on Hoth, existing is perhaps more truth like. What were they thinking when choosing potential sites for base camp? Can we pick a place that best resembles hell? Choose someplace so damnable no sane creature could survive here? Who says damnation equals scorching flames?

I?m barely noticing how bones constantly ache from continued exposure of sub-zero temperatures. Finger nails, now black, have cracked and peeled because of numerous frost bite complications. I?ve come to believe my toes intend mutiny, then departure. Eyesight?s been getting dim lately, which isn?t too terrible a fate? considering there?s nothing but kriffing blinding snow surrounding everything!

I?ll go stir crazy pretty soon if Mon Mothma doesn?t give us leave before winter starts. If not, perchance luck will assist an Imperial Cruiser our way, at least jail cells aren?t white.

19. Wilhelmina

Jul 4, 2002
    I did? Where?

20. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

duskwings,

Yep. Any word--including names--found in the dictionary or Star Wars literature is allowed. :)

21. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Okay, after much checking, re-checking, and re-re-checking. Here my entry is. 192 words according to Microsoft Word.

Han awoke in biting wintry air known as Hoth?s frigid atmosphere. Many pilots complained about being chilly here, but hiding from malevolent Darth Vader was dangerous. While doing that, High Command used every available luxury.

Bitter winds blew across the man?s ice coated features, making him quiver. He could feel Luke stirring, yet couldn?t bring himself completely into today?s cold misery. Leia must be worried. notions similar to this floated around his thought-filled psyche. Blinking, they disappeared.

Words spoken earlier echoed throughout Han?s mind, creating a sardonic smile. Something regarding freezing? Looks like we might actually make it. Empty skies warmed Solo?s heart, childhood memories threatened their presence, although they?d been there all night. Recalling moments when striving for carefree lives ?

?What?s happening?? Luke?s groggy sleep-filled voice whispered, breaking through bittersweet reveries.

?I saved your butt again,? replied Solo smiling with amusement. ?No gratitude necessary, however, gloating rights are mine. Lightsaber, kid?? finished Millennium Falcon?s pilot, adjusting its position beside Skywalker?s prone body.

?Thanks,? muttered young Skywalker before passing-out once more.

Rescue calls came out of an unknown rebel flying toward them. ?Commander,? static followed and then, ?Do?read me??

Captain responded, ?Nice??

22. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Here's mine. 200 something 8, 9, or 10, I don't have a word counter, except my finger... besides my head is spinning from this one.
    ---------------------------------

Writer's race challenge #4

Points of View
    by jodiwent

Alliance :

Question ringing inside head; why am I here? My job not so important. Yet, a Rebel this being is. Looking for those, they are.

Closer troopers come. Remain still, or find me villains will. Not long in the world, does unknown one have. Blast into hiding place soon with laser guns. Shoot everyone, you know storming men always do. Scared. Good-buy.

Wait, gone? Never reviled Cookie's enclosure! Alive staying long time. Die old, under covers of bed, far days ahead. Hooray.

Joy ends quickly. Ships away.

Pryers whispered in cold, coldest place. Skin becoming translucent. Freezing, frozen, dead. See light. Love felt. Join Force.

Imperial :

Hunting. Searching. Smell enemy's fear. Only called by number, knows place. Objective achieved. Targets found. All killed.

Mistake made. Ice blocks falling. Foot caught. Friends leave without pause. Trapped like rodent. That left behind, no loss to the Empire. Just single of many. Frigid air shows misty breath slowing. Armor crushing chest. Lungs failing.

Mind still struggling. Flesh withering, lingering, dying. Curses exhaled. Regrets many. Final minutes closing. Hate reflected. While black darkness engulfs, cave's white shades hide body forever.

Hoth:

Planet's spirit senses, sad moments fleeting, go on infinitely. Both your stays endless. Feel our eternal stainless embrace of snow.

End?

23. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Wilhelmina

Whoops, my bad. disregard that. I wasn't paying attention. Sorry. :) I was enjoying it too much...

24. Wilhelmina

Jul 4, 2002
    pokey: No worries. You had me panicking there for a minute... :)

25. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Sorry about this...

pokey1984's entry contains 'features' twice.

Healer_Leona's entry contains 'doesn't' twice.

jodiwent's entry contains 'place' three times.

At any rate I hope ya'll are having fun with the challenge. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.