main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Writing resources for 2014!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Iverna, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    With the new year upon us I figured I'd share some writing resources!

First of all - I make (free) spreadsheets for tracking your wordcount throughout the year. They work much like NaNoWriMo trackers, except they're for the whole year, and I've made them in lots of different designs and colour schemes. Here's an example:

[​IMG]

You fill in your goal for the year, and it'll give you monthly and daily targets and all kinds of stats. You can also fill in custom goals each month and use them for individual months, a few months at a time, whatever you like. If there's a month where you know you won't get any writing done, you can set the goal to 0 and it'll skip that month when calculating your daily goals, and so on. Preview and download them here:

Misc designs and more info
    Supernatural-themed designs

You can also still download my NaNo spreadsheets, which aren't useful for wordcount-tracking anymore now but still have plot and character worksheets as well as other sheets for keeping track of chapters and other info.

And then there's my wordcount meter generator, which you can use to share your progress. It doesn't work on the boards, though, it's only for blogs and websites.

Also a few other writing tools and links I've found useful:

Title Generator - great for use as prompts as well.
    Plot Outline in 8 Steps - simple but it covers all the basics and a bit more besides.
    Behind The Name - a great resource for finding good names for OCs, it lets you search by meaning as well as listing names by origin, alphabetically, etc.
    yWriter - a free software which lets you organise scenes, chapters, characters, and a lot more, while being quite simple and intuitive to use. It's my favourite thing for writing longer fics and novels.
    Plot Complications worksheet - a pretty elaborate worksheet for creating intricate and interesting plots.

I hope some of these are helpful, and feel free to add your own resources, or ask questions!

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
  3. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    This is perfect! Thank you.

4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I'm with JL, COOL!

5. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Thanks for sharing, Iverna!

I just discovered the Baby Name Wizard, a website and blog that gives really detailed information on names. Could be helpful if looking for a name for an OC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.