main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing romance, does it embarrass YOU?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by HanSoloIsSoCute, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSoloIsSoCute

HanSoloIsSoCute Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2005
    Honestly, I blush a little when I write romance, mainly when I write the kissing scenes. [face_blush] Not that I don't like to write romance, it's one of the ways I get my evil little kicks. (my fav is making the girl kick the guy or blow him off ;))

What about you? Am I the only one who turns a slight shade of crimson when writing mush? :(

Jasmine @};-

2. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I -Always- blush when I'm writing mush ;)

So no, you're not the only one, but then... I always blush when I write mushy lines, no so much the physical stuff...

Depends on -how- mushy though... I enjoy a good kiss, so writing one is easy enough and doesn't make me blush, but when I write stuff that makes characters open up to each other -that- makes me blush 'cause I'm uncomfortable enough with it...

I blush a lot when reading mush too, maybe it's a girl thing ;)

3. HanSoloIsSoCute

Sep 7, 2005
    lol Thank the Maker! Someone who gets a little uncomfortable with it! I know I NEVER let anyone watch me write mush, and that bugs my sister cause she likes to watch me write. But I'm like, you don't wanna see this, at least not until I'm done, because if I'm writing a line like:

And he leaned closer to lightly brush his lips to hers

I'm gonna DIE if someone watches me! Thank God I'm not the only one! :)

Jasmine @};-

4. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    No, I just wrote a kissing scene recently as a matter of fact, and I didn't feel the blood rushing to my face.

It could be because I'm just such a macho dude, though. :p [face_laugh]

I blush when I write things that make me blush in real life. But I'm too macho to tell you what those things are. :p

5. HanSoloIsSoCute

Sep 7, 2005
    Ah macho man. Thank God you're here, I feel soooo much better lol. Just kidding. I didn't know guys even WROTE kissing scenes! :eek: (and don't worry, I don't wanna know what makes macho man blush ;))

"Ah hahahahaha! You see?! I AM MACHO MAN!!!" the Emperor shouted to Vader, moments before he toppled over, pale, wrinkled little feet going over his head.

lol Sorry but that whole macho thing reminded me of that part in my fic.

Jasmine @};-

6. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    Ah macho man. Thank God you're here, I feel soooo much better lol. Yes, a macho man always makes'em swoon. [face_laugh]

Just kidding. I didn't know guys even WROTE kissing scenes! (and don't worry, I don't wanna know what makes macho man blush) It has to happen sometime. *shrugs*

"Ah hahahahaha! You see?! I AM MACHO MAN!!!" the Emperor shouted to Vader, moments before he toppled over, pale, wrinkled little feet going over his head. [face_laugh] You must PM me with a link to that! I love Palpatine, uh... not in that way. I love the character and love to see him silly as well as serious.

7. HanSoloIsSoCute

Sep 7, 2005
    lol I sent you the link. Enjoy. :D

Jasmine @};-

8. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    When I was younger, whenever a kissing scene would come on TV or a movie, I'd giggle and blush. [face_blush] (My dad used to tease me about it and insist on calling me the 'Romance Expert' 8-} ) So, yeah, it embarrasses me to write kissing scenes. Less than it used to, but when I actually try to imply that they, you know, I really blush and get embarrassed. :p

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    It doesn't bother me at all to write romance scenes. PM scenes are a bit more embarrassing, giggly, depending on the description of what is going on in the scene. But kissing can be a lot of fun to write. I enjoy reading and writing romance (although I don't do it very often).

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm not embarrassed by romance at all either. I rather enjoy being the voyeur in this case, with either writing or reading of romance whether on the boards or elsewhere. Most times I find it easy to place myself in the scene. :D

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    It can embarrass me a bit when I write kissing scenes and such mush.[face_blush] And yeah, I'm a totally macho guy.;) :p Still, I do like writing the romance.

12. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I don't write much mush and romance anymore, but when I have in the past...nope, I didn't blush. Of course, my characters never did anything beyond kissing, or even implying that they did more than kissing, so maybe that's part of it. :D

But I think it's mostly because I have to use so much brain power to write suitably mushy dialogue and stuff. I'm thinking too hard to worry about being embarrassed. :p

13. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    No, not really. I try to make sure I can read all my work with a straight face (unless it's MEANT to be funny), and kissing/hugging/etc. is no big deal for me to write. I've read and written stronger stuff and am probably a little desensitized. Strangely, though, I still can't stand romantic scenes on TV or in movies unless they're not mushy/sappy at all. I only like 'em when they're written.

14. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Nah, doesn't embarrass me a bit, but then I write NC stuff so...

The funny thing is, it bothers me more when someone I know reads my more mature stuff. I've never let anyone in my immediate family read it.

Another weird thing is, I've written some pretty intense stuff, and yet when I went to see "A History of Violence" (which had some VERY graphic sex, as well as violence) with my sister-in-law, I found myself too embarrassed to keep watching the scenes and I closed my eyes.

15. YellowDart

YellowDart Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2005
    I write pretty much exclusively mush . . . and it doesn't embarass me to write kissing scenes. I like writing them, actually, far more than anything else! What I am embarassed writing is action scenes, because I feel like I am so bad at it, everyone will laugh at me!

- Yellow Dart

16. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    It's good to know I'm not alone. lol.

I blush horribly when I'm writing or reading a mushy scene and what makes it worse is that someone from my family is usually in the room and try to see what I'm reading... which makes me blush even more.

I also blush and giggle when there are romantic scenes in movies if other people are watching the movie with me.

When I went to see Wedding Crashers with my mom and two aunts I couldn't watch any of the kissing scenes or anything without giggling really badly. Everyone in the theater thought I was crazy. lol.

17. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    Nope. It doesn't embarass me at all. As a multifandom author, I've won awards for romance. Silly, happy waff can be a really fun thing to work with. Mix it a bit with some romance, squidgy kissing stuff, a bit of humor, and you end up with something charming. What *I* did was pretty much apprentice myself to the best romance-y writers in my first fandom. I made friends with them and got them to read my stuff and give me pointers. They also taught me exactly how far I could go without crossing the line. After that, it was a matter of practice.

I like writing it, but I rarely write straight romance. I have a penchant to write long stories, and if I'm writing those, I've got to have some sort of action plot going on, too.

BrightFeather

18. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    When I first started writing mushy stuff, yes, I used to blush a lot. But there is no way that I could let someone watch me write mush or let someone in RL read my mushy stuff without turning about twenty shades of red. [face_blush]

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't blush when I'm writing romance. That's the easy part of the relationship. [face_love]

It's the certain subsequent details that make me giggle. [face_mischief] [face_blush]

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    It's the certain subsequent details that make me giggle.

What details would those be? O:) :D

21. DathomiranAuthor

DathomiranAuthor Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    I love writing romance, although it's usually just hints of romance I tease my readers with; I'm just starting to really write romance now that I've reached the turning point of my fic. :) I don't think I could ever stand to let anyone watch me write romance; the mere thought makes me go NUTS and pull my laptop closer to me. That's why I have passwords for all my romantic fics. ;)

So yeah, it embarrasses me. I don't think I actually blush, but sometimes it's really hard to write down that one romantic line.

I like romance best when it's blended with action to balance it out, he he.

22. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Yeah, my favorite topic - Romance!

I love writting romance. Recently I just wrote my first PM Chapter and THAT made me blush. The PG stuff we can leave in chapters I love to write, because Romance gives you that next level in a story; adding conflict between characters, or causing pain or great joy.

23. DriftingThread

DriftingThread Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    A little bit, but after a while you sort of get used to the mushiness, kissing and what not. I was petrified when I wrote my first romance but now it doesn't take so much out of me. I love it! I know when a scene is good when there's an 'awwwww'[face_love] I love it!

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Good Romance won't make me blush... Some of the very best romantic stories barely share a single kiss...

Now when it comes to teh intamacy, I haven't been self embarrased yet and from what I hear I can pull of some pretty hot [face_devil]"PM Rated" [face_devil] stuff O:)[face_clown]. Mind you, I don't go back and re-read what I've written without a break. When the cloths come off and the lights go down, and the hands start wandering - *Quick! Whip out the fireships!!!!*

OK, as I said, romance no, intimancy, sometimes - partly because I'm envious of the characters.[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_blush]

25. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Nope, I don't blush when writing romance. Love to write romance.

Of course, the last romantic story I wrote involved at least one person dying, and the other going into catatonia, but you can't have everything. :) (hmmm... I wonder if I could adjust it for Star Wars? Must think on that..)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.