main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing romance, does it embarrass YOU?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by HanSoloIsSoCute, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes. The anticipation of it is much more fun than the actual event if you do it right, but the event will be pretty darn spectacular. That's what Rish has taught me.

2. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Reading...nothing embarrasses me. I will read anything.

But writing is a different story, although if it stops at kissing it doesn't embarrass me. I agree with IrishEyedJedi, adding in the five senses is a great way to make the scene realistic. I like to read about smells, tates, sounds, fabrics, and textures. And I think you can do all that without sounding clinical.

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Writing Romance... now there's a nifty topic! Embarrassing...[face_thinking] Nahhhh not really. I enjoy writing them every now and then. Specially new love. Those who juz realize that they're in love. THOSE are the most fun I think!

Kissing is great...juz gotta remember the characters must breathe eventually! [face_laugh]

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm the same way. Cna't write worth beans, yet ::ducks sandal thrown by Rish:: but I can read up on the subject.

5. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

*uses other sandle to get Poe in the back of the head*

You have to believe in what you're writing when it comes to romance. I think a lot of the time when we write, we write the idea of what we want in our own lives. That's why it's such much fun. Because we can escape into a world wear the hero sweeps us off our feet and loves us the way we've always wanted.

6. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    I don't blush writing it - I can't write blush-worthy mush. Reading, however ... Jade_Max's first-class mush in "From Scratch" made me glad I have a beard.

7. widow_skywalker

widow_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    My two credits worth are being tossed in...(my hiatus is almost over...hurrah!)

While it is not necessary to have experienced many things, romance is something that we are all the result of, whether it be passionate and frantic or the quiet love of a married couple. We are all the product of something that is considered NC-17, and to be embarrassed is natural, but overcomeable. I used to be embarrassed by the idea of sex, and even more so by same sex coupling. I got over the embarrassment of that by placing it in context with reality. People meet, kiss and mate on a daily basis. That is why we have six billion beings on this planet.

As for being embarrassed by writing mush, no, not at all! I am a full time college student who has little or no time for romance. I love the idea of bringing so much joy to others by providing a momentary escape from reality with a romantic post, PM, NC-17 or otherwise. I don't think it is fair to label people who like to write NC-17, PM or slash as sick. While my friends and I joke about being sick, we all know we aren't when we take pleasure in reading an adult post filled with people giving and receiving pleasure. I am the author of many such posts. It is human nature to crave that particular act at one time or another in our lives. With out sex there would be no people being born, and IMHO, you have to take that into consideration when looking at fics as well.

8. HanSoloIsSoCute

HanSoloIsSoCute Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2005
    AHEM!! *snatches Ish's sandel and whaps Widow*

Didn't I just SAY no NC+/sex/slash/PM posts/same gender pairings discussion on this thread?!? Which by the same gender sex does NOT bring more people into the world, think about it, it wasn't Adam and Steve was it?!?! Thank you!

Jasmine @};-

9. widow_skywalker

Jul 5, 2005
    That is if you believe in the concept of Adam and Eve.

Also, did it ever occur that some of the people on the board may be homosexual and not take kindly to the last comment?

10. HanSoloIsSoCute

Sep 7, 2005

Now, we are getting off-topic, can we please get back on topic?

Jasmine @};-

Post edited! WHile opinions are one thing flaming is another and this is not part of the topic. Leona

11. HanSoloIsSoCute

Sep 7, 2005
    Thank you. But why couldn't you edit Widow's? She was talking about the same thing. No matter.

Jasmine @};-

12. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

=D==D==D=

Or happen to think that there's absolutly nothing wrong with SSRs?

They are allowed here in fan fic, granted it can be tricky as the physical aspect must only be eluded to but I have a few OC's who would be inclined to agree.

13. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    Yes, Breezy, but it's also supposed to be that the owner of the thread is supposed to be able to direct where the conversation goes. HanSoloIsSoCute is young and naive, which makes her susceptible to not knowing how the world works. I do, so I'm not going to flame, but I am going to throw my $0.02 in.

Liberal people have a way to bait conservatives who are passionate about a topic, while still seeming not to bait. This is a very potent tactic because it makes the conservative person want to respond, while at the same time making that response seem overly critical. We have truly reached George Orwell proportions in this world when one person can bait in their own way, and not get punished, while at the same time, another person can bait and get into trouble.

If you want to say, Han voiced her opinion in the wrong way, well, what is an opinion? How can an opinion be right or wrong? If you want to say, she shouldn't have used harsh language, well, harsh is in the eyes of the beholder, isn't it?

Han gets banned because she said something that offended. But the previous person said something that offended Han, so if we're saying, as a society, that Han should have let it go, just let the comment roll off her back, then why can't we say the same for people who might get offended about Han's comment?

"All are equal, but some are more equal than others." Animal Farm (paraphrase) Has it really come down to this?

14. MoeTharen

MoeTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah! Em, what he said. :D

EDIT: But I'm staying outta this for now. [face_worried]

15. ladie_padawan

ladie_padawan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    =D= HanSolo was my e-sister and a VERY dear friend of mine. I don't understand how adult people got so offended by a 15 year old girl trying to direct HER thread into the direction she wanted it to go in.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I saw some (Stuff) about 'liberals baiting conservatives' and that got my hackles raised.

Ahh here it is:

Liberal people have a way to bait conservatives who are passionate about a topic, while still seeming not to bait. This is a very potent tactic because it makes the conservative person want to respond, while at the same time making that response seem overly critical. We have truly reached George Orwell proportions in this world when one person can bait in their own way, and not get punished, while at the same time, another person can bait and get into trouble.

It goes BOTH ways.

Look, I understand the thread owner wanted to stay away from stronger aspects of romance, but that does not give them the right to bash people who believe differently. I saw a comment saying that they were offended at the attack on people who were gay. And I AGREE with them. I don't care if the person doing the attack was the thread creator or not, I TOO found the comment utterly offensive.

Edit: you don't have to allow discussion of SSR in this thread, but by the same tolken, that doesn't give you the right to belittle or downright attack them.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I don't see the current conversations having anything to do with the topic of the thread.

And yes, while the author of this thread has the right to direct the topic no one has the right to flame and the edit was directed at flaming, not perceived offense.

Leona

18. MoeTharen

MoeTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2005
    Em, let's drop it before we all get banned? Ok?

19. ladie_padawan

Jul 30, 2005
    What I want to know is why she was banned. She asked people to not talk about certain things repeatedly and stated a couple times that she didn't mean to offend anyone, so why couldn't she get at least a warning?

20. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Just because a moderator has stepped in and edited someone does not automatically mean they were banned.

21. ladie_padawan

Jul 30, 2005
    No she was banned. Okay, I'm over my little temper tantrum. Now I'm just sad.:_| She did go a little too far for some people, but I hope the ban is just temporary and we can all learn a lesson and just agree to disagree.

22. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I can understand your sadness, however in the future it would be more appropriate to PM the moderator you have a concern with instead of posting it to the thread :)

So let's get this back on topic -- Does anyone have any tips or ideas for how to start off romance scenes especially if your muse is being uncooperative?

23. widow_skywalker

Jul 5, 2005
    My muse is always uncooperative
    I usually light a couple of candles, and look outside. Is the weather beautiful and the sky clear? Are the stars out? Nature always puts me in the mood for love.

24. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    First thing is to choose the characters and decide whose POV it is going to be. Decide on how it is going to end - with love or loss or something bittersweet. Then go for background, the surroundings - where is the couple, at dinner, on a wind-swept hill, in a closet? What are they wearing and why are they wearing those clothes? How are they feeling? Are they hot, cold, scared, lonely, upset, tired? Then comes the conflict - is there one? Is it real or does one of them perceive a problem and the other one does not? Are they alone or surrounded by friends or enemies?

I usually try to get the reader involved immediately by having one person speaking or thinking about the encounter to come, what they are worried about, what they are looking forward to. And then get them to interact with either the other person or the environment in some way. I had one story start with the OCs hair getting caught in a vine and she's both embarrassed to be less than perfect at getting caught and anxious about what the man is going to think about her clumsiness (he found it endearing).

25. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Thanks for getting us back on topic. :)

Just for clarification, we don't discuss user's punishments in a thread.

Sorry, carry on.

I started this post, and had to forgot what I was going to say...

I find it harder to do introspection when the characters are starting to get hot and heavy, when I can do it just fine in a regular setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.