main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing Thrawn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by reagan64, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    Does anyone have tips for, or a link to a guide of, writing Thrawn? I've searched but I haven't found anything on the subject. I've been thinking of writing an unofficial sequel to TIE Fighter but I'm pretty nervous about writing Thrawn. I'm worried mine so far is too...open and talkative. Any sudgestions?

2. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I don't think there's actually any character threads in the resource, but if you haven't checked Wiki, you can get a good feel for him here:Mitth'raw'nuruodo
    Characterization is part interpritation, so as long as you stick to the fact that Thrawn considers himself a gamesmaster of manipulation much like Palpatine, but he isn't as egotistical about it.

Hope that helps some...

3. reagan64

Feb 26, 2006
    In the passage that I'm concerned about, he's talking to a bunch of officers, explaining about the enemy he was facing and the first phase of his master plan. Looking back on it, I realized that, at least in my mind, he was always big on keeping his suboardinates in the dark until the last moment, he never did long "Dumbledore-esque" explanations, so I'm thinkiing of giving some of his lines to somebody else. Is my logic sound?

4. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    well its not so much that he didn't explain himself, it's that his actions were obvious in hindsight....

5. mastermeg_0228

mastermeg_0228 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2006
    I don't know much about Thrawn...just what i read in the trilogy...

I have a suggestion though, you could always look for a beta in the Beta index...try and find someone who has written Thrawn before...they'd be a good source of info for you!

meg

6. reagan64

Feb 26, 2006
    OK, I'll want to write more before I decide whether it's worth publishing. I have a history of starting then not completing writing projects.

7. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Ale's Wiki link is probably the best place on the net to find a reliable history of Thrawn.
    Just remember that Zahn considered Thrawn to be the Star Wars equivalent of Sherlock Holmes. Outside of his choosing the wrong side, his skills should be nigh flawless. He's best used in a supporting or antagonistic role for this reason, much like Holmes was always written from the perspective of Watson.

Should he brief his troops? Yes. But he'll be using language that allows his troops to achieve his goals, not give them all the details. In fact, what the troops think they're doing and what they're actually doing should ideally be two completely different things.

8. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I love Thrawn and think that a big part of the mystery is that we never get to see from his pov. It's always him through the eyes of somebody else and that keeps Thrawn a mystery.
    And there can always be a big difference between what the troops know and what the reader knows.

9. reagan64

Feb 26, 2006
    Ok, thanks. He dosen't go threw a lot of details, I just needed a way to introduce the enemy I was having him and Maarek face.

10. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    Thrawn is such an intimidating charecter to write. So my hat is off to you just for trying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.