main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing Vocabulary Builder-upper (Drop in and add your favorite words)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Herman Snerd, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Pejorative: belittling or disparaging

When he failed in his first attempt to construct a double-bladed lightsaber, Darth Maul was forced to indure his master's pejorative comments.

2. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    "Best friends forever, right Jay?" Zekk asked Sardonically.

Sardonic: Gravely mocking or cynical

The fracas in the cantina could easily be attributed to one very disgruntled spacer named Han Solo.

Fracas: a loud or disturbing argument

Good droids know what every man ought to: The less effrontery you show, the less trouble you get into.

Effrontery: overconfident or inappropriate boldness

Many students flunked out of the Jedi Academy simply because they couldn't handle the lucubration required to succeed.

Lucubration: Intense study, especially nocturnal

Hooray for Pre-IB vocab words?

3. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    The word of the day is Volatile:

adjective
    1 : readily vaporizable at a relatively low temperature
    2 : tending to erupt into violence : explosive
    3 : characterized by or subject to rapid or unexpected change

The atmosphere in the senate became volatile when the ambassador's speech was interrupted by the strange mans heckling.

4. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    His voice was soft and full of conviction, and his eyes shone with his undying love.

Conviction:

1. strong belief, article of faith

2. an unshakable belief in something without need for proof or evidence.

5. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Most of my show-off-worthy words are semi-technical jergon. Does that still count?

Plenipotentiary
    Invested with full authority or power.

Asperifoliate
    A leaf with a rough surface.

Pnuematolytic
    Solid mineral deposits formed when fumes from vulcanic magma crystallise on surrounding rocks.

'Anakin leapt onto the pnuematolytic stalacmite and thrust the slender purple asperifoliate into the glimmering, sea-coloured orb that was Minister Plenipotentiary Hsienyang's left eye.'

Amanuensis
    One who writes down what another says, especially in scholarly or literary undertakings.

I couldn't fit this one into the same sentence as all the rest. [face_blush]

'Luke served as Yoda's faithful amanuensis throughout all ninety-seven volumes of the great Jedi Master's autobiography.'

Poor kid. :(

6. Cael-Fenton

Jun 22, 2006
    Up! Did I kill this thread? :(

Atavastic
    Animalistic and primal.
    edit Atavastic does not really have as negative a connotation as the adjective 'animalistic' suggests. The meaning is closer to 'deep-seated', or perhaps 'endemically ingrained in human nature, not conveyed by active teaching or environmental pressures'.

'He knelt suddenly, his eyes shining with some atavistic desire to be commanded, to bow to a Lord worthy of veneration.'

7. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Do you mean "stalagmite"?

pulsating: to exhibit a pulse; beat.
    quickened: hasten, or accelerate
    ecstatic: to be in a state of rapturous delight
    rejoinder: reply
    ardent: impassioned

The pulsating of Mara?s heart quickened in an ecstatic rejoinder to Luke?s ardent attentions.

EDIT: Because I mispelled a word in one of the definitions.

8. Cael-Fenton

Jun 22, 2006
    Nope, I mean 'pnuematolytic'. :) I am quite sure that word exists. It happens to be one of my favourite words -- purely for the sound of it. edit It is an adjective, BTW.

9. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I think Alexis meant instead of "stalactite."

vicarious - adj., experienced in the imagination through the feelings or actions of another person

voluptuous - adj., of, relating to, or characterized by luxury or sensual pleasure; (of a woman), curvaceous and sexually attractive

appointments - n., (3rd definition) furniture or fittings

Obi-Wan was mildly relieved that his experience was purely vicarious as he listened to Anakin retell his encounter with the Twi-lek dancer and her voluptuous appointments.

10. emerald54

emerald54 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 4, 2007
    I do believe that this is my new favorite thread.

Rendezvous - mostly because of the sound.

Penurious - poor, ungenerously or pettily unwilling to spend money, poverty-stricken; destitute
    Ex. The district was penurious, the streets dirty and filled with suspicious characters.

Scatological/Scatology - The study of fecal excrement, as in medicine, paleontology, or biology.
    Ex. "What Scatological pile did you pick your brain up out of?!"

11. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    :eek: I love scatological! I'm going to start using that in everyday conversation, especially when I'm walking the dog. [face_mischief]

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I was referring to "stalacmite"

'Anakin leapt onto the pnuematolytic stalacmite and thrust the slender purple asperifoliate into the glimmering, sea-coloured orb that was Minister Plenipotentiary Hsienyang's left eye.'

stalagmite: noun, the formation of calcium carbonite deposited on the floor of a cave as a result of calcareous water dripping upon it.

stalactite: noun, the deposit of calcium carbonite resembling an icicle hanging from the roof or sides of a cave.

claustrophobia: n, fear of being enclosed

Wedge fought his claustrophobia as he walked through a particularly narrow portion of the cave and thought, 'was it a stalagmite might reach the ceiling if it grows tall enough and a stalactite will fall if it doesn't hang tight to the ceiling, or a stalagmite might fall if it doesn't hold tight and a stalactite holds the floor tightly so it won't float to the ceiling?' :p

13. Cael-Fenton

Jun 22, 2006
    :oops: I am *so* sorry. I can be such an idiot sometimes. Someone has to keep me away from the computer when I should be in bed...
    I like that, I do. :D

14. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    Maybe this wouldn't be considered a big word but I've been obsessed with using it lately...

Conjecture

con·jec·ture Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhn-jek-cher] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -tured, -tur·ing.
    ?noun
    1. the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.
    2. an opinion or theory so formed or expressed; guess; speculation.
    3. Obsolete. the interpretation of signs or omens.
    ?verb (used with object)
    4. to conclude or suppose from grounds or evidence insufficient to ensure reliability.
    ?verb (used without object)
    5. to form conjectures.

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    You forgot to use it in a Star Warsy sentence. ;)

BTW, I'm not sure the words have to be big per se, but be words that aren't commonly used... or am I misunderstanding the purpose of this thread?

16. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Thanks, the thing about it is, writing that sentence gave me a plot bunny. Imagining a fighter jocky with claustrophobia... and one with the name of Wedge at that... well, there has to be a story behind that. :p

manic - adj., affected with or marked by frenzy or mania uncontrolled by reason
    catawampus - ?adjective 1. askew; awry.
    2. positioned diagonally; cater-cornered.
    ?adverb 3. diagonally; obliquely
    philippic - noun, any speech or discourse of bitter denunciation.
    wreak verb (used w/ object), to inflict or execute (punishment, vengeance, etc.)
    forthwith - immediately; at once; without delay

Blessed peace followed Anakin's manic philippic of the latest injustice wreaked upon him by the Jedi Council when he collapsed catawampus across the bed and began to snore forthwith.

EDIT: because I accidentally left out a word... perhaps I need to do what Anakin did... without the grousing :p

17. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Wes Janson is an obstreperous person- he often makes others, especially his Commander Wedge Antilles, wanting to hit him with a heavy item.
    But Janson is also a very gregarious person- you seldom see him without company.
    The leitmotif in this short text is the X-wing pilot Wes Janson.

I hope I used the words correctly- I love them!

obstreperous:recalcitrant, cheeky
    gregarious: For example a gregarious person is someone, who likes to have other people around
    leitmotif:I picked this word, because I was amused.
    A leitmotif of e.g. a text would be the essence of the text.
    Our english teacher told us that a while ago, and it was so funny, because its origin is the german word "Leitmotiv" and we all couldn't believe, that it actually sounds so similiar:)

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    indelible: adj., unforgettable, lasting
    quintessence: noun, the most typical example or representative <the quintessence of calm>
    impressionable: adj., easily impressed or influenced; susceptible

To the impressionable youngling, Padme was the quintessence of grace and beauty, thus she left an indelible mark upon Anakin's heart.

19. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    A trio of words for you:

Caustic- severely critical or sarcastic: a caustic remark.

Fortuitous- coming or happening by a lucky chance

Disconcerting- To frustrate (plans, for example) by throwing into disorder; disarrange

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.