main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [wtf am I watching] Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jun 14, 2014.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You know what I was surprised to not find terrible?

Hartnett being a werewolf.

2. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    yeah that part was cool :)

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "We here have been brutalised with loss, it has made us brutal in return."

I do love the dialogue of this show.

“I am not a creation of the antique pastoral world. I am modernity personified. Did you not know that’s what you were creating? The modern age? Did you really imagine that your modern creation would hold to the values of Keats and Wordsworth? We are men of iron and mechanization now. We are steam engines and turbines. Were you really so naive to imagine that we’d see eternity in a daffodil?”

Anyway, I am only finished with Ep3.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    ~if Mina had been born with your cruelty~ "You are the daughter I deserve." Characters that loathe themsealves, or at least their history. I love it.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So if you bothered to look up the episode title "Demimonde" as I did you would have discovered that this is basically another word for "whore". Aside from sexual promiscuity we use the word in conjuction with such items as "attention whore". Vanessa has an envy. Mina. She tries to become her, at least for a short time, by seducing her fiance which utterly divides their families in the following episode "Closer than sisters".

It was but a brief flash but there is a Lucy character somewhere in these episodes. But the usual Dracula characters are rearranged. Mina is more like Lucy, and Vanessa is a sort of Mina.

Eyes and mirrors are gateways to souls, and this episode mentions mirrors rather often. Sex is used as an attention getter...awakening? Becoming? Vanessa sees Malcom having a trist with her mother, then eventually does the same with Mina's fiance. Vanessa starts to invoke her powers. "Once you start down the dark path..." as Yoda says.

Is that the actual Devil Himself or a random demon in possession of Vanessa? Regardless, it is all about warlockery where someone gains powers from said evil thingy but might not have entirely sold their soul away. generally speaking the soul seller does not have a happy ending.

The NBC show Dracula did what this show does and takes old characters and twists them into something new. But so far that I can tell this show does it better.

Symbology at the ed of Closer than Sisters: Vanessa is cloaked in darkness, and Mina is bait clothed in light.

Am I reading too much into this show? :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no idea but damn, I can't wait to finish it.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I said I might binge watch it but I have not. An episode a day so far.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So Malcolm appears to make a mistake. He sends Vanessa off with Dorian Grey while hima nd his cohorts go off to find Mina. Perhaps if Vanessa had come along she would not have had her possessor make an appearance, and perhaps Mina wold be in safe hands.

This vampire however wants Vanessa, and perhaps Malcolm made the right decision as Vanessa would have been there for the taking.

I only know the most basic overview of Dorian Grey. He sells his soul and is preserved via a painting as we see when he regenerates. So then in this case he is a tool to capture Vanessa? This demon that possesses her, is it one and the same as the vampire that hold Mina or a separate entity? That Dorian sold his soul to? The Egyption duo, is she the reincarnated verson of one of them and the vampire/demon is the other?

Don't answer those questions!

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    After watching Possession I took a look for Amunet and Amun. There is nothing in particualr that identifies them as the Devil, Lucifer, what have you. The closest thing is "hidden goddes" or "hidden light". Amunet might have come from a meaning for female form of Amun. So "Amun" in Penny Dreadful may have lived as a worhsipped living god as Pharohs were apt to do and seeks to join with his long lost wife or other half, Amunet who possesses Vanessa.

I can't guess what the lead vampire might want of all this using Mina as bait to get Vanessa. Perhaps he wishes to supplant Amun? The title "prince of darkness" is applied to both the Devil and Dracula. So it will be fun to see how this is connected.

Ethan has some explaining to do. At first I thought he was a werewolf but after he all of a sudden vanquishes the Devil from Vanessa I have no idea what he is on about.

The scene where "Ethan" turns out to be Amun/Lucifer/Satan was out friggin standing. Again, a mirror.

Malcom is an utter bastard apparently. He has sins, Vanessa has sins, Victor has sins, we do not know Ethan's sins or who he really is.

I'll catch the season finale tomorrow.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh ok, so Ethan is a werewolf.

Again with the mirrors. Brona is reflected in one before she is killed. Ethan looks out to the water and sees the Moon reflected before he transforms. An American werewolf in London. Teehee. So he has a afther who wants him back in America. Perhaps it is safe to assume his ability to perform an exocism has to do with him trying to control the monster within.

So mr hairless vampire was not actually Dracula, or 'The Master'. Again, this Master may just be Amun/Lucifer.

Malcom accepts Vanessa as his daughter, Frankenstein accepts Caliban. Gonna be fun to see if Brona can be kept secret from Ethan. Oh phhhht. Of course FrankenBrona will meet Ethan again.

So they can just go ahead an hand out the Emmys now. Especially for Eva Green.

I think she will choose to not be "normal".

[​IMG]

No that is not from the show, I just thought it looked cool.

[​IMG]

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Boy, this series improved as it went along. I found the first few episodes a bit dull, but the last few have been gripping. The Frankenstein stuff is my least favourite plot-thread. Green, Dalton, and Hartnett were all very good.

I'm looking forward to the next season.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    DVD release October 7. :D

And I probably won't see it before then unless Hulu gets something other than clips.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    New teaser.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Just ordered the DVD set for the first season and can't wait. :D

21. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of Gothic tragedies; needless to say, the flashback episode "Closer Than Sisters" made me happier than a poet on payday.

What a terrific little series this turned out to be.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Alright, catching up finally.

Seance:

Nice Jack the Ripper opening there.

No idea yet WTF happened to Vanessa during that particular scene but I hope they expand on it. And Dorian Grey is more fascinating than he should be.

And holy ****, that finale with Prometheus. :eek:

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Resurrection:

Dr. Frankenstein's past was creepy as hell. Dude, don't **** with science. I still want to know what happened to his dog.

And pretty much everyone has tuberculosis I guess.

The zoo scene was pretty creepy as well. I assume the new character introduced there, whose name I didn't catch, is going to be explored further?

Billie Piper and Josh Harnett were hot though.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Having woken up in the middle of the night I decided to stay up to watch the ball drop. Penny Dreadful was being replayed on two channels so I flipped back and forth. They were the show opener and Demimonde. As i pointed out way up there demimonde is essentially a bohemian group, promiscuous and such. In the first episode when Vanessa is with Ethan at her home she says the line,
    Do you believe there is a demi - monde , Mr.
    Chandler ? A world in half between what we know and what we fear .

And later:

I hope you enjoy your life as an actor .
    It seems to be right for you.
    But .
    if you find yourself in the demi - monde we've talked about and would like to escape from you know my address.

So i had to look up the word again as I did not understand.

1. a: a class of women on the fringes of respectable society supported by wealthy lovers; also: their world

b : the world of prostitution
    2: a distinct circle or world that is often an isolated part of a larger world <a night in the disco demimonde>; especially: one having low reputation or prestige
    Ah, there we are. I thought she was being specific but she was applying the word to the supernatural.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Demimonde:

I did not know the origins of that word; that adds a lot more to the show and where it seems to be taking the characters so thanks for posting that.

I haven't given this show enough credit for quotable moments either.

"Do you believe there is a demimonde? A half-world between what we know and what we fear?"

Brona, sad as her story is (with a name that means 'sadness', and dammit Ethan, should have gotten her some medicine instead of taking her to the opera): "From now on, you **** me like everyone else! after you've paid." He should have gone after her.

"We've all done things to survive. There are such sins at my back that it would kill me to turn around."

And of course the one quoted already here. "If Mina had been born with your cruelty. You are the daughter I deserve." I have no more than mild curiosity about Mina; I'm just enjoying the interaction between the characters.

The Dorian Grey/Ethan Chandler ending scene, despite my dislike of opera music, was surprising and enjoyable.

VadersLaMent likes this.