main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [wtf am I watching] Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I am disappointed none of you managed to tell me that the best James Bond was in this series, and now that I know I'm catching up. Still. Dis-a-****ing-pointed.

2. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Also when Dorian and Billie Piper are doing their business the music you hear is the main leitmotif from Wagner'sTristan und Isolde.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Closer than Sisters:

I think this might be the best episode yet. I needed to know how Sir Malcolm and Vanessa knew each other, why I'm supposed to care where Mina is other than "probably possessed/bitten by a vampire/something that will make a good freaky scene when they sum it up."

And I got it, a lot of pieces fell into place, including (sort of) what the hell happened to Sir Malcolm's son. And Vanessa's behavior in the seance episode.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Note the horror of the manipulation of the Master. In her youth she walked in on Malcolm and her mother, then later when the master pays a visit the mother walks in on them and dies. An Vanessa wants to give up, she can. It's a show full of anit-heroes.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What Death Can Join Together:

"There are things you can't control. There are battles you lose. At the end of the day, the only thing you have is the people you trust."

That's my favorite quote from this one.

Pretty horrible to find Mina only to not be able to reach her. And obviously she's a vampire.

Love the Ethan and Broma scenes, how he refuses to send her to the asylum. "I'll love who she is."

So Dorian Grey is as full of himself as expected, and he and Vanessa cut each other during sex which does or does not cause her to get possessed again? Regardless, I would have liked to have seen the painting get the cuts as they disappeared on Dorian.

The Frankenstein/Van Helsing scenes were...disturbing.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Um, Brona wasn't being sent to an asylum, more a hospice so she could die in peace.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I know what it was supposed to be, but it was not the hospice facilities of the modern first world.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Possession:

Outstanding acting by Eva Green in this one.

I kind of liked the bro-whatever going on between Ethan and Dr. Frankenstein as well.

So, Vanessa's incident was triggered when she and Dorian were having weird sex that involved cutting each other, and I'm assuming there is some symbolism there as far as her getting possessed after sex, but I'm not sure I care enough to contemplate it.

And Sir Malcolm proved himself to be a complete ass all the way across Africa with Peter in tow; was it ever mentioned exactly what killed Peter or am I dense and missed it?

I missed about 4-5 minutes due to not being able to watch that scene when all those spiders got going. [face_sick]

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Peter died I assume from dysentery or malaria; tropical diseases which they could not stave off when the porters ran off with the expedition's medicine.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Full trailer. "When Lucifer fell, he did not fall alone."

That would be Madame Kali in the...tub.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So...season finale.

Broma's fate was pretty much as I expected. What I did not expect was Victor smothering her with a pillow to make it happen faster.

Sir Malcolm and Vanessa talking about Mina's fate: "And will that bring you peace?" "Don't be naive, it doesn't suit you." Great scene, as was the final one with Mina.

Dorian Grey: "I don't know what I'm feeling right now." "It's called rejection." I laughed. Maybe that's terrible.

Look forward to seeing what they're building up with Sir Malcolm and Madame Kali.

Ethan being a werewolf was not bad; not great, but not terrible either. It will be interesting to see if the show goes anywhere with it in season 2.

This has been a good enough ride that I almost feel like getting Showtime so I can watch season 2 as it airs.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Glad you liked it. As I mention above there will now be a female Frankenstein's monster walking around who is the former lover of Ethan who is now revealed to a werewolf. They are going to cross paths eventually.

Did you look at that season 2 trailer?

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah. That bathtub scene is creepy; I'm most curious about it.

Looks like Mina might come back to haunt them somehow? And Dorian might not take rejection too easily.

And yes, the interaction between Broma and Ethan is bound to happen and should be interesting.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Madame Kali is played by Helen McCrory, best known for playing Cherie Blair to Michael Sheen's Tony Blair (The Queen, the Special Relationship etc). She's also in Skyfall, playing the minister grilling M at the inquiry and is a main player in Peaky Blinders, which is like Boardwalk Empire BUT BETTER.

So yes, in short, check out Peaky Blinders.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Sentences like this one truly justify the title of this thread.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

And yet, some of the best acting, story, and direction and writing ever.

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    By the time season 1 ended I was really enjoying the show. I hope the new season is at least as good.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

And another preview for the best show on tv. Eva talks about Vanessa.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

I do not like the gimmicky nature of this teaser but hey, it's and update.

23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Kind of stopped short when I saw an Ethan poster in the subway yesterday. Still a little bummed they went in such a predictable direction with him, but hopefully it will work out.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    What part was predictable, that he was a werewolf or that he would bang another dude?

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

And if you go HERE, the first episode of season 2 is there.