main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [wtf am I watching] Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jun 14, 2014.

1. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I watched the final 2 episodes last night... and I think I am still processing. :_| Watching them after hearing the news the show wouldn't be going forward, it was especially heartbreaking....

Vanessa dying was pretty damn hard to watch. I was thrown by the show choosing to go that direction, but as I said above, knowing this was the series finale I suppose it was a fitting end. If the show runners didn't know ahead of time that this was it, I don't know how the show would've gone on without her. Yes, there are other monsters and stories that could be covered... but Vanessa Ives was the main pull for me. The final showdown in the old slaughterhouse was the highlight although Dracula up and vanishing was kind of sudden and strange.

They were great episodes, but I'm sort of feeling blank on it as a whole.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I feel like not all is being told. The showrunner said it was meant to be 3 seasons but it just doesn't feel like it. A few moments felt a bit rushed. I get this gut feeling that Showtime decided to pull the plug and they had to go ahead and wrap it up. The whole show has been paced perfectly, but then Vanessa decides to tell this guy she just met who has not admitted to any leanings towards the supernatural that Dracula is out to get her.

It also seems like a few loose ends where left. Not that I think every loose end needs to be fixed but Doc Franky takes Lily for Mr Chandler and turns her into his bride and there is no reckoning. Dorian lives. Lily just walks off. These are not bad endings, it's just that these felt like stories they would explore and had to wrap up.

I think I would have liked The Creature to have been there to help them fight a horde of vampires. And Dracula took too much time while Vanessa is with Mr Chandler.

So really the only flaws in the show came near they end where it had to be crammed together. Still, it all works and it was a hell of a run. Just a damned good show.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So is it getting a third season?

The last two episodes were good, I cried at a couple of points, but it did seem like a real finale.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    You mean fourth season, and no, I don't think so.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Fourth season. My bad.

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    QueenSabe7 likes this.
  8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Finally watching this. Starting on S1E3 and all I can say is dayum!

Proteus!! :(

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Starting S1E8. Can I just say holy ****.

I've read the horror classics and love them. The atmosphere, characters, story line of this series are so incredibly compelling. I refuse to peek ahead, but I hope yet to see Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde and Griffin.

10. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Didn't realize s1e9 would the season finaly... :eek: I had wondered when about this creature.

11. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Finished season 2 and now must wait for 3rd to be put on netflix.

Thoroughly love this series.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Okay, I know I'm late to the party but I don't watch a lot of television. Interestingly enough the only reason I even know about this series is because of this thread and from seeing the DVD's for sale at Target but I've never given it much thought. That all changed last night when I decided to give it a go. I'm three episodes in to only the first season and I gotta say I'm pretty enthralled. This is beautifully shot and beautifully acted stuff. Was very happy to see David Warner too!

Healer_Leona likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So after watching the first two seasons as they came out, I dropped this show.

Picked it back up, and quickly remembered why I watched this show in the first place.

Eva Green.

Good season, but weak ending, especially for a series that had such good season finales for seasons one and two.

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Just finished the last episode and while it ended exactly how I expected as I started the third season, I thought it actually pretty damn good. We knew there was going to be no happily ever after.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Penny Dreadful: Showtime Resurrects Fan-Favorite Horror Series

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    No Eva tho ?:(

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    "City of Angels will not take place in the Victorian era setting of the previous series. Instead, the story will relocate to Los Angeles in the 1930s for a tale set against a backdrop of Mexican-American spiritualism and supernatural phenomenon."

In other words it's not Penny Dreadful at all but they are taking the name to entice the old fans. I'll try it out but this is not good.

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So taking the British name for British horror novels in the Victorian era, and moving it to America because America America America America [face_flag]

This is why people hate Americans.

19. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    :rolleyes: Good lord, who cares what it's titled or where it's locale is as long as it's as good.

I'm going to remain hopeful. [face_good_luck]

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, this does sound interesting

Dormer plays Magda, a chaotic demon who can take on the form of anyone she chooses. According to the actress, we’ll meet at least three of her human forms over the course of the first season—and it may take us a while to figure out which non-Dormer actors are also playing her part. Even though Magda is an “agent of chaos” and antagonist who’s lost faith in people, Dormer said there are a lot of complex layers to the character that she’s excited for people to see.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The first episode is out. Make no mistake this is not the same show and not nearly as good. But it's good. I'll tune in for the rest.

Dormer is indeed a trouble making...spirit? Demon? I do not know if her name, Magda has any demonic meaning.

The show centers on a white vs Hispanic dispute concerning a road to be built that will destroy their homes. A lil whisper here, a lil whisper there, and all hell breaks loose. Natalie Dormer plays 3 roles in this episode, one of which I had to look at closely to realize it was her.

Anyway, I'll give it a go.