main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WWDRD? Del Ray and the Legacy Line

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Admiral_Stone, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's provided the KOTOR MMO is set in the same period as the existing KOTOR games.

It could just as well be that KOTOR has simply just become the brand label for the Star Wars RPG games and that it'll be the same as the rumoured Clone Wars MMO we had earlier this year.

KOTOR: The Clone Wars. :rolleyes:

I really hope it isn't. But I don't like the fact there were Clone Wars MMO rumours.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    How about KotOR: Let's Get Back to the Cool Stuff, Like Ulic Qel-Droma. The original Sith war is getting no love, right now, and it's a shame, because if anything what I want to see is the comic making use of its position to reconcile/bring together the two.

3. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I definately think they should calm down with post-ROTJ books for the time being. Because seriously, everything that was epic has already happened, the Yuuzhan Vong war is over and Jacen is dead. In each Legacy comic synopsis, it says that the Legacy era was a time of relative peace. Well, we started off with a war in 40 ABY and it is only fitting that everybody is relatively peaceful until around 100-120 ABY correct? Sure there can be minor conflicts but no more huge wars please. Let's just leave the DR Legacy era and leave it to our imaginations as to what happens next. Sadly though, I don't think that is going to be the case with Fate of the Jedi. The title doesn't sound too peaceful does it?

I'd be pleased for some KOTOR books, with the Sith fighting the Jedi as I think it is the only era that could be explored without issues with other eras, such as the Clone Wars because of the TV show.

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    One concept I liked was the Jedi Outlaw comcept from the making of art book of The Force Unleashed. That has a lot of EU potential

5. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    3000-2000 BBY please Del Rey.

6. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    25,000-6,000 BBY should really be fleshed out. I want to hear about the early Jedi, the early sith, and all that jazz.

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Is it just me... or did we just get our first official confirmation that the One Sith is, indeed, Krayt's Order? [face_dancing] Maybe I missed something between the release of Inferno and now, but have we just been speculating for a year?

I know that Krayt's order is referred to as the "One Sith" here, but was there any other sort of official confirmation that made the two wookiee articles be combined a few months ago?

8. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I hope and believe that rumour to be false. I would expect them to just go for the plain The Clone Wars name in such a MMO. Considering that some aspects of it would probably be canon, we might soon be in even greater mess when it comes to the Clone Wars chronology.

That said, I wouldn't be overly disappointed if the KOTOR MMO wouldn't be placed at the same time as KOTOR I and II and the comic. KOTOR MMO placed during the New Sith Wars would be fine with me, although I think it likely that Bioware and LFL want to use the fame and already existing background from the KOTOR era. Personally I hope that KOTOR MMO will be placed chronologically after KOTOR II, which seems to be a minority opinion.

If I would be an evil mastermind in charge of LFL, I would go for two MMO's and to some extent, two audiences: One deep, true RPG placed during the KOTOR games and comic era, and another more shallow, action orientated MMO placed in the Clone Wars era, perhaps done in a more cartoonly manner imitating the new movie and cartoon series' style.

9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I think the intent was clear enough to just be considered fact from the beginning.

10. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I've never considered a Clone Wars MMO using that style before. You having mentioned it, I really wouldn't be surprised, IF they set it in the Clone Wars, if the style was cartoony.

Not sure how I feel about that. Main reason I love KOTOR/KOTOR2 is they're just so cinematic. An MMO that appealed directly to the hordes of Clone Wars fankids though would not surprise me one bit.

I feel at least somewhat comforted though in that it doesn't sound like something I see BioWare doing. As far as I know they nearly always strive for more mature games, or, at least, their stories always are much deeper than just "you good, he bad, you kill bad guy". I don't really see that sort of story fitting with a kiddy themed art style.

No doubt someone is going to point out a game I'm forgetting that BioWare did that is cartoony though. :p

11. Master_Ikari

Master_Ikari Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 26, 2007
    The upcoming Sonic Chronicles comes to mind. :p

12. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Historically, the "Old Republic" referred to anything pre-Empire. Back in the 90s, I mean.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    DR can fill in the gaps between NJO-TDN and TDN-LotF.

After FotJ, I hope they stop moving forwards and allow John to tell the story of how the galaxy circa 42 ABY became the galaxy circa 120 ABY. I don't think it'll happen, but I think it'd be the best move for the GFFA from a creative standpoint.

DR are all about the Big Three, so I say let them write them. They can tell umpteen stories about the Big Three back in the day, and leave the expansion of the expanded universe to Dark Horse.

If DR wanted to take a gamble and write a huge novel series about the formation of the Jedi and the Republic, however, I'd be on board like a shot.

14. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    But does DH want to tell that story? And if it does, does it have the (human etc) resources to do it? :confused:

Based on what they have published during their contracts, I don't think that DR is all that interested of filling those gaps. It seems like one gap filling novel about the Big Three per contract is their limit.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Eh? Oh, oops.

I don't really mean that John should "tell the story" (though I'd be happy if he wanted to), in comics or whatever, so much as be the one who "fills in all the background detail".

I'm not asking for: "60-120 ABY, the Series"... just for 60-120 ABY to be, uh, "uncontaminated" by novels, so that John/Jan can reference and invent anything they like for that period.

16. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I thought you were after a truly epic comic series lasting probably for a few decades OU... :oops::p

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Naw, though that'd be cool. :D

Given how... artificial... Jag suddenly ascending to power felt in Invincible. Well... I just don't trust DR to tell a *good* story of how LotF became Legacy. :p

18. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    I think that with the Clone Wars cartoon coming out, Novels will begin to flesh out the wars more, especially with non-movie charachters. I think that Fate of the Jedi is going to happen, (though the name will probably change) but not for another few years at least. To fill the gap, I think they'll release four or five, one-offs or duologies all over the timeline: Ancient, Pre-PT, LotF, and inter-trilogoy(ies).

19. Randy_Stradley

Randy_Stradley Dark Horse Comics Editor and Author star 2 VIP

Apr 23, 2002
    Now, I haven't read through this entire thread, but I felt that Rogue 77's assertions needed to be answered. Was Del Rey's Legacy of the Force novel series constrained by the storyline developed for Dark Horse's Legacy series? No.

I have in my archives a Del Rey/Lucasfilm document dated November 11, 2004 (with updates made in a different color dating from January 19, 2005) which lays out the rough direction of the whole nine-novel series (including the ending with Jacen's death, which is from the original 2004 document). At that time the series was as yet untitled, simply being referred to as "Something About a Sith." John Ostrander and Jan Duursema's first outline for Legacy was delivered in late June of 2005, five months after the LotF story was set.

[Legacy of the Force[/i] and Legacy were delivered to the public at about the same time, but Legacy the comics series was developed after Del Rey's plans were in place. In fact, the original 2004 document even names which authors will be writing which books in the series.

20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    lol

Sounds about right.

21. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Thank you, this is very interesting and much more than I think has been told before by DR or LFL representatives.

It was only a short time ago that I read a claim that one of the LotF writers wasn't even aware of Jacen's final fate even after already completing own share of the series.

Overall I have been under the impression that Legacy's development started before LotF was changed from OR era to it's current placement.

22. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    Given Del Rey's poor handling of the LotF series, I would prefer that they stay far away from the KotoR and Legacy eras lest they muck it up.

Please leave the Knights of the Old Republic and Legacy eras in the deft hands of John Jackson Miller and John Ostrander who know how to plan and tell a story.

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I think the only big challenge they have now if they do that is combating the inevitable "Why should we care about reading about Jacen anymore?" backlash they would probably get. I'd be happy to read about his soujourn myself, but I can see there being a lot who wouldn't see "the point" of reading about a character who they already know dies.

If they were to flesh out those periods (which I would certainly like to see) I'd prefer if they tried to stay away from purely doing Big Three stuff and accepted things without the film characters do work, as their support of a large RC/IC series should show them.

For example, I'd like to see a series about Kyle Katarn setting out what he did in the Cloak of the Sith with Vongerella.

24. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Perhaps that subject should be left for the more racy fan fiction writers? [face_whistling];)

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    True.

The mission could have been a "racy" one. No-one karks with Kyle Katarn and lives. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.