main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, OH X-men 3 Discussion Thread (Spoilers, so if you haven't seen it, don't read)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthFloyd, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Ok, so everyone who was with us knows I was pretty psyched coming out of the film. They did an overall great job, and had quite a few things that were relatively ingenious. As such, I figured I'd pull out some cool points (and as many bad things as I can think of) and post them here to get your reactions on them. This one's for you, Jen :p

Cool things
    - LOVED the danger room, especially with Colossus giving his steel ability to Rogue
    - Phoenix's background was really well thought out (and works alot better than how she gets it in the comics)
    - Battle sequence at the end (the pawns fight first)
    - Iceman becoming Iceman
    - Phoenix killing people by ripping them to shreds. The Grey's house scene was great (but where were her parents at this point?)
    - Juggernaut chasing Kitty through the walls
    - Wolverine lopping off the regrowing arms
    - Phoenix. Wolverine. Table. Nuff said.
    - Showing the metal skeleton underneath wolverine's skin.

Things that could have been done different/better
    - WHERE THE HELL IS NIGHTCRAWLER?!?
    - did prof. X seem a little strange to you guys after Phoenix excaped?
    - Beast's face. Needs a little work.
    - What point did Angel really serve? It would have cool to see him fight with the X-men instead of watch them leave.
    - Where is the Flame Bird that X2 led me to believe would be surrounding Jean?
    - Cyclops' death scene - too short, not enough info (though if his body is around, could set up for Mister Sinister being a baddy in X4)
    - Ending (the westchester part) was kinda lame and needed to not be rushed.
    - Goth mutant gang - the could have been a mix of different looking people
    - Still no Gambit. (A triangle with Gambit-Rogue-Iceman would have been cooler than Kitty-Rogue-iceman)
    - Rogue without her powers. Bad choice (unless they have her touch someone when the cure is reversed)
    - Too much storm (did she really need to be in every scene?)
    - Iceman didn't use the slide, and he really should have frozen pyro solid.
    - Mystique should have lasted longer, and Magneto wouldn't have just left her (as Jen pointed out)
    - Juggernaut needed a bigger part, as did Multiple Man (though he's just cool by himself...ok bad pun)
    - who was the girl who clapped her hands together?
    - Was that chick with the purple hair REALLY supposed to be Psylocke? COME ON!!
    - They should have explained why the kids were on the team (since we didn't even see Kitty pride as a main character until this film)
    and finally - NOT ENOUGH COLOSSUS SCREENTIME.

There is, however, alot to look forward to. I had no idea (until told at dinner) that Prof X was in the body of the comatose patient from the video (I thought he managed to pull his body back together...should have paid more attention). The sinister plot could also come about, as could apocalypse (Archangel would be awesome to see, and Apoc and his 4 horsemen would be an awesome 1 or even 2 movie set). And as far as I'm considered, the Sentinels still need to be done.

Characters I would like to see.
    Emma Frost (White Queen)
    Bishop
    Gambit
    Cable
    Sinister
    Apocalypse
    Sunfire (especially as a horseman)
    Quicksilver/Scarlett Witch/Polaris (what better way to bring back a villain than with the children he didn't know existed)
    Havok (since Scott's gone, might as well have one summers)

Characters I'd like to return
    Nightcrawler
    Sabertooth

2. darthgwen

darthgwen Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    Thanks C.J. I know I can always rely on you ;) The only reason I pick on you so much is because I do the same danged thing. Ask Matt about it. Three days after a movie I will STILL come up with scenes I did or didn't like and how I think they could have been better.

I liked......

1. The reinterpretation of the Pheonix storyline. A clever use of cinematic story telling that was logical and interesting.
    2. The Danger Room (Sentinal not with-standing)
    3. The focus on how much Magneto's powers kick butt
    4. The Magneto ending, because I would have been really ticked if it ended any other way
    5. That IceMan finally started to come into his own as an X-Men team member

Things I didn't like.....

1. What was the point of so many extra characters? So many of the main characters were reduced to cameos in their own film
    2. Rogue/Bobby/Kitty pointless love triangle
    3. The make up effect to make Xavier and Magneto look younger
    4. Wolverine being the hero that "saves" Phoenix/Jean Grey at the end (at times it could have been a scene from a romance novel)
    5. Beast... in general... I didn't care for the make-up, his role, or Kelsey Grammar

Things I hated.....

1. Anytime Halle Berry was on screen
    2. The score. The absolutely worst score I have heard in a very long time. My personal belief for why many of the scenes irritated me (Death scenes, mourning scenes and such)
    3. Cyclops death. Didn't like it, thought it was pointless and a cop-out for writing around a difficult character. (Similar reaction to de-mutantinizing Mystique)
    4. The flatness in most of the acting or character development.... even Patrick Stewart seemed to lose his passion for the role of Xavier.

And well, that is my two cents.

3. TravisTheGeek

TravisTheGeek Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2006
    I loved this movie, but as a comic geek, I feel almost obligated to provide the following list:

Mistakes:

1. Multiple Man is a good guy! (Most of him, anyway.) In fact, he is currently heading up "X-Factor". This only bugged me because X-Factor is one of my favorite "Post-House-of-M" books. I will admit, though, the "decoy scene" was one of my favorites.
    2. Not really a mistake so much as an omission/missed opportunity, but Juggernaut is actually Xavier's half-brother. Also, Cain was not born a mutant. He had an X Gene but it was dormant. Jealous of Xavier, he used magic to activate his power. One potential mistake, though, as pointed out to me by one of my managers, in the scene where Kitty "sinks" him into the ground, wouldn't that immobilize him, thereby taking care of the "no momentum/no power" thing?
    3. Storms not supposed to be an annoying, self-important ... /grumblegrumble/
    4. The whole Rogue/Iceman/Kitty love triangle in general. It's supposed to go: Rogue/Gambit, Kitty/Colossus, Iceman/ ... um, Polaris ... sometimes ... I think.
    5. Colossus is Russian. Colossus is supposed to have a RUSSIAN ACCENT! Thank you.

I also have to say that, in my opinion, the whole "Last Stand" thing is BS. I heard rumor that foX has already confirmed X4. Some possibilities:

1. Apocalypse. Even if for no reason other the Archangel. The Horsemen, as well, would play well on the big screen.
    2. Mr. Sinister would play well into the whole Cyclopes thing and would even work well in an Apocalypse-based story. Who's better to have in a story where you need to bring back a bunch of dead characters then a cloning expert? Just imagine: Xavier (still trapped in coma guy) brings in Sinister, who they don't realize is actually working for Apocalypse, to recreate his old body. Meanwhile, he secretly clones Scott and Jean so that they will eventually produce Cable who will eventually defeat Apocalypse. Maybe bring in Havoc just to mix things up. Man, I'm actually starting to dig this idea.

Anyway, that's it for now. I have a freakin' 13-hour day at work tomorrow and it's almost 4am. If I think of anything else, I'll post again. Over all, I loved this movie. (Heck, I saw it twice before it's opening day.)

4. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    The one good thing about bad multiple man is that they at least got his exact post-HOM outfit, down to the T-shirt. Even though he was bad, they got most of his details right...even though he needs to have some sort of kinetic contact to make a multiple.

Interesting side note, is that the kid from X2 with the blue lizard tounge is supposed to be his brother.

5. TravisTheGeek

Apr 15, 2006
    So I wasn't just imagining that then. I thought that was the same logo on his shirt, but I couldn't remember for sure.

6. lazer310

lazer310 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 23, 2000
    Fox has confirmed today that X-Men 4 will be made. I guess all it takes is the second largest opening day ever behind ROTS to get the execs buzzing.
    X-Men 4

7. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Wandering through your boards to look at the COSI thread and thought I'd throw my two credits on this one. :)

I agree on the Where is Nightcrawler????? Kurt is Hot!

Every time Kitty and Iceman flirted, I wanted to smack her and reminder her about a certain Russian. Who strangely wasn't Russian in the film. Nice to see Shadowcat, one of my fav X-Men, finally get some screen time, other than just walking out of the classroom.

I saw 'Psylocke' in the credits and was much confused. Was the purple haired chick supposed to be her??

Although very different from the original Morlock Leech, I thought they did a nice job with Jimmy. Were the Goth Mutants supposed to be the movie version of the Morlocks?

There didn't seem to be much character development in this movie. Sigh.

The pro-mutant tolerant Presidental administration seemed a bit out of place in the X-Men universe. Or was that just me and too many years of Sentinels? The 'cure' as a weapon was a neat idea, though.

Is Scott really dead? We didn't get to see the body disolved (visually a very cool effect).

Speaking of the 'not dead yet', didn't Dr. Moira and Charles have a son who was basically brain dead or profoundly retarded? Was that supposed to be the person that Charles 'leaped' into?

If Magneto gets his powers back, as was implied at the end, maybe Mystique will too. *grin* I'd love to see her restored to power then getting the chance to discuss with Magneto his leaving her.

Although it would mess with continuity, I'd love to see Rachel Summers. What can I say, I was into the comics in the late 80s and early 90s, when it was all about multiple universes and alternative timelines. :)

8. TravisTheGeek

Apr 15, 2006
    Oh, but don't you know? The make-up process would just be too much trouble. Now, I'd like to introduce you to my new friend Beast.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one bugged by the non-Russian, thing. Of course, you could hardly tell with how few lines he had.

I think so, unfortunately. Sure, she was fighting with Magneto. Sure, her powers were nothing like in the comics. Somehow, though, I guess she was supposed to be Psylocke. (I personally like to tell myself that the chick with the purple hair was someone else and that the Psylock scene was cut or something.)

Again, I'm pretty sure that is what they were going for, but it was never said specifically, so who knows... I liked Leach, as well. That kid is a brilliant actor for his age. He didn't do a whole lot in X3, but he was tremendous in "Thank You For Smoking" and he was just about the only tolerable part of "Ultraviolet".

I agree completely! Since it's inception, X-men has always been an analogy for various social issues. It was a bit odd to have such a nice, neat bow put on it at the end.

I don't know. Personally, I think he's dead. But that is a very easy fix, especially in comics, ESPECIALLY when you have a character named Phoenix.

I don't think so. Legion, their kid, was actually just crazy and homicidal, not brain dead.

9. Tev_Torbek

Tev_Torbek Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2004
    I'm sorry guys, I love the X-Men and I'm not into it as much as y'all are, but I really thought this sucked. They killed Scott, they killed Xavier, they fraked up the Golden Gate bridge (I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, you don't mess with the Golden Gate Bridge), like someone mentioned before, the acting sucked, too much Storm, Wolverine acted like they had nuetered him between movies (though the opening fight scene in the Danger Room, he had about rolling on the floor laughing, typical Wolverine paunch), the whole plot line really didn't hold water for me, not enough Archangel, who the frak was the little kid whole blocked the mutants powers?, where was Gambit? where was Nightcrawler, Wasn't Jubilee a bigger part of the team? Who the heck was Kitty? Rouge, what were you thinking??? Sorry, I just feel it could've done better. Though the special effects were good and it was good to see Ice Man put Pyro in his place. I don't think the "Cure" will really last. Anyway, just my $.02.

10. TravisTheGeek

Apr 15, 2006
    I disagree, but I can understand where your coming from. I can easily see how some people might not like this movie.

To answer some of your questions, though:
    The source of the cure was a mutant named Leach. I believe he was originally one of the Morlocks.
    Jubilee was a big part for a while but, thankfully, the movies have kept her as cameo-only. (I mean, come on! She shoots sparks! -Anyway, she was recently "depowered" by the 'House of M' event.)
    Kitty was the first of what has been called by some "Wolverine's Jail-Bate Sidekicks". (Jubilee was number 2) I assure you, she's been around for a while. The movie's are just now catching up.

Now, as far as the whereabouts of Nightcrawler, that's a mystery to me. And I agree that they need to bring Gambit into it. (You're a fan of the old Fox cartoon, aren't you? Man, that toon is what got me hooked on comics way back when.) I hard that the guy who plays Sawyer on Lost was set to play him in a cameo at one point, but it fell through. He would have worked well, I think, but it would have made any romance with Rouge a bit creepy.

And there are a few points I agree with you 100% on. I can't begin to tell you how much I dislike Haley Berry and I am personally one of the few comic fans out there who feels that Wolverine is paid WAY too much attention. The Piro/Iceman fight was great. And the cure is only temporary, no doubt about it.

11. Tev_Torbek

Tev_Torbek Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 19, 2004
    Oh, no doubt about the Cure, I would've prefered they remain a killer '80s rock band instead of a plot line in Action Hero film. I love Wolverine's character, he's awesome. I just thought he was awfully whimpy in this movie. He came out strong in the openning of the movie, and THAT'S howe I remember Logan, but his character just lost it from there for me. Yes I am a fan of the old Fox cartoon, that's where I rememered the Sentinels from. I just feel this could've been done better, and left destroying the Golden Gate Bridge out it. :_|

12. TravisTheGeek

Apr 15, 2006
    Well, his fight in the woods was pretty cool. Plus Spike finally got what I kept hoping he'd get back when "X-Men: Evolution" was still on. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.