main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Comics General Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by one_armed_scissor_14, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Anyone else read Astonishing #15? It had one of the funniest moments ever... Classic Whedon. I'm also looking forward to seeing Kitty kick some ass in the next issue. :D

And is it just me or did Nagasonic Teenage Warhead (or whatever the Goth chick's name is) look a lot like Sarah Michelle Gellar on the cover? [face_thinking]

2. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    It's not just you. And yeah, I was so looking forward to a *classic X-Men moment* and got *that*. This is probably not my favorite title every month, but favorite of the X-Titles main hub. Still doesn't beat X-Factor, though.

Wow, I liked this issue, but Astonishing is so short for me. So much is done in pictures and so little with words that I read it in like 15 minutes--if I'm going slowly.

We'll see how this title still compares once "The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" kicks into full gear, but I definitely enjoyed this issue.

"Ever so cross..." freaking classic. Not as good as "Oh no! The moose has my scent again!"

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Astonishing was really good as always. I absolutely loved Wolverine in this issue. Something that got me thinking was what Emma said about having Kitty on the team. That she wanted someone there to watch her. Maybe Emma is working with the Hellfire club again unvolentarily? Not stirct mind control but maybe some sort of blackmail.

Magneto had a guest appearence in New Avengers this week. And it looks as if he has got powers back!

4. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    I know, and I didn't buy it, what's wrong with me? Oh, I remember, I decided to catch up on Civil War.

But seriously, now that I have more money, Frontline looks good, as does CW X-Men.

5. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    As for Astonishing X-Men...this really says it all-

[image=http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0906/ASTXM017_COV_CMYK.jpg]

That's just begging to be captioned with lines from #15...

6. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    I know. I mean I'm not normally one to discredit other veteran writers in favor of Joss Whedon because he's been writing for like 2 years on X-Men while Claremont has written for about 20 (non-consecutively), I do love his stuff lately.

7. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Anyone else reading to sacrafice a goat to reverse M-Day?

8. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Frankly I'm happy with the results of M-Day. My only complaint was that it didn't affect enough major characters. Magneto, Prof. X, Quicksilver and... no one else really. Not anyone major. I'm going to be really upset if/when they have a massive reversal that completely resets everything.

*Waits for isssue where Scarlet Witch wakes up to find Vision in the shower and reveals it's all a dream*

9. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    That's definitely the worst thing about the Marvel universe.

I hope Civil War lasts, I really do.

10. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005

*chuckles and shakes head* Oh Dallas

The reason I hate M-Day is because it took away so much of the the mystique (no not the character, the word) of the Marvel Universe. Everywhere you go, you'd find a mutant. Your next door neighbor, your son, wife, brother, parents, yourself, anyone. Now don't get me wrong, I do like some of the stuff they're doing with it (Stryker's return I happen to like, though Tag and other character's demises I was sad to see), but I just miss the feeling they had in the X-Mansion before it happened. Sure there were attacks, and deaths, and regular rebuilding, but during peaceful times, the mansion was full of life and students. Now there's 198 ever dwindling mutants hanging around? I know it's going to slowly reverse, but it can't happen quick enough.

Plus, they only did it (it seems to me anyway) so they could keep each Civil War faction from getting to cluttered. Now Civil War is something I don't want being undone. Why? Well because it's good to see things being stirred up without having to wipe out 90% of your characters. I like Civil War, I hate M-Day

11. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
  12. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
  13. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    A couple new books this week -

X-Factor #8: Some great Layla stuff in this book. Apparently she doesn't know quite everything. :p The scene between Siryn and Spider-Man was also quite good.

Exiles #83: It's a nice transitional book from the Worlds Tour. Claremont was originaly going to start up right after this issure IIRC. It was a real treat to see the full Earth #'s for all the old Exiles and Weapon Xers.

14. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I haven't been reading x factor, so what is the deal with layla?

15. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
    I don't read the book either, but from what I gather she claims to "know stuff" that if she told anyone she'd die immediatly. She's there to keep them from learning what caused M-Day. Personally I say beat it out of her with a bat and reverse that ****-storm :p . Lando could you fill us in on what happened?

16. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Layla seems to the ability to see the future and some sort of "butterfly effect" power. She always knows just what to do to get the desired results. In one issue it showed her loosening the faucet upstairs and then later having the leaking water flood down to help electrocute an intruder.

17. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Dammit, my comic shop didn't get X-Factor in until Friday, so I have to wait unitl Wesnesday or Thursday to get it...hopefully they still have it.

18. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
    that's cool. I hear she refers to herself as "Quicksilver's nemesis" in X-Factor #8, what's the story on that?

19. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Layla actually tries to kill Quicksilver in #8. At the beginning of the issue, she is sitting on the steps leading up to the X-Factor offices and a man (later revealed to be Quicksilver) is standing outside the building . She throws a rock at two former mutants walking by and when they look at her she points at Pietro and says "He did it". The scene changes and we don't know what happens until later but one of the mutants shows up later with powers restored. (If you haven't read it, Son of M dealt with how Quicksilver's able to do this, as well as how he got his new time traveling powers.) Of course, neither man's powers work like they did before M-Day.

Anyway, she says that they were supposed to attack Quicksilver, he was supposed to time travel a few minutes into the future and be hit by a truck. Quicksilver shows up and has a conversation with Layla. He says he knows her and she mentions that they are nemeses to each other and that she views him as evil and he views her vice versa for trying to stop him. Nothing much comes of it and he goes inside, just as Strong Guy, Siryn, and Madrox show up having just learned about the true cause of M-Day from Spider-Man.

20. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005

So she's failed in her mission. That was the end of the issue? Hmm, this will have an interesting outcome.

21. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Sonofab*tch, I still haven't been out to get X-Factor #8.

22. JediMasterNicolas

Jun 4, 2005
    Just got the new Uncanny issue, and it was indeed Uncanny. Rise and fall of the Shi'ar Empire is shapping up to be a great arc. Why do I have a feeling by the end Xavier will be

a) dead
    b) powers restored
    c) back with Lilandra
    d) running the institute

or a combination of several. Can you imagine Xavier disappearing at the end (looking as if he died) and reappearing like 15 issues later at Lilandra's side, rulig the Shi'ar? The mere though has me salivating.

Also, I can't wait for Sabertooth the X-Man

23. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    I'll hopefully be picking this up today.

24. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Just finished reading Uncanny on my lunch break. A nice set up to what looks to be a promising 12 issue arc. I'd almost prefer for Xavier to not change again so quickly. I'd really like to get to know him more and see how he copes without his powers. Having him get his powers back so quickly would cheapen his character. I'm especially interested to see Rachel's reaction when they reach the Shi'ar. Vulcan could wind up being the least of the Shi'ar's problems! :p

25. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Finally picked up everything!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.