main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [X-Men First Class] Repercussions - Update: 1/1/12

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Yodaminch, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Yes, Kelly is just too good of a villain not to appear in an X-Men story. Though as you may have gathered, he was just the messenger.

Just a note that from now on, there will be no updates on Wednesdays. My schedule is overloaded that day and rather than try to rush out a chapter that day, I've decided to drop to updating four days a week (Monday and Tuesday, Thursday and Friday). So here is today's chapter. Please be sure to check back again on Thursday!

[b]Chapter 19[/b]

With much greater difficulty than he had realized, Sean made his way out of the sub basement?s temporary exit and led the girls up towards the mansion itself. He didn?t speak during the trip. His mind was racing at what he had just learned.

His fate and Alex?s had been controlled by these men. They were merely pawns in another one of their chess games. The thought made Sean physically ill. He had trusted these men with his life. Alex had trusted them. To learn that Hank was responsible for everything that had happened today made Sean want to scream and never stop.

It was past midnight by the time Sean led the girls up the stairs to his room. Distantly, he realized what it must be like for the professor now as he struggled to take each step at a time. He wasn?t sure what he was going to do. It was clear he could not simply leave at once. And the girls had no where to go. They were all going to have to stay the night. This thought just made him even more frustrated.

He opened the door to his room and threw himself on the bed. Mauve and Lorna followed without a word. They could tell Sean was in pain but he could also tell that they were frightened. Unlike him, they had never signed up for all this craziness. He let out a sigh and attempted to calm down.

?I?m sorry about all this? He finally managed to say, ?Things aren?t normally this crazy?

?It?s...ok? Mauve said, unsure of what else to say.

?We have extra rooms down the hall. In the morning, we?ll get out of here.?

?Are you sure?? Mauve asked. She noticed that Lorna had remained silent.

?I?m sure. I can?t stay here. I can?t take the secrets and lies anymore.?

?Where will you go?? she asked.

He shrugged. ?I don?t know. My parents are visiting family in Ireland at the moment.?

Mauve?s face brightened at this news. ?I?m returning to Ireland later this afternoon. You could come with me!?

His worries momentarily forgotten, Sean grinned. ?Alright. Sure.? he said. He looked over at Lorna who seemed lost.
    ?You wanna come too?? he asked.

Lorna didn?t reply, she just shook her head.

Mauve touched her arm gently. ?Lorna, I?m sure Alex will be ok? she said.

?It?s not that? Lorna replied. She wiped a stray tear from her eye.

?Then what is it?? Mauve asked.

?It?s-it?s all this!? She said, sweeping her arms around the room to take in everything. ?Until today, I thought- I thought-?

?-That you were the only one? Sean finished. He knew what that felt like.

Lorna nodded. She wrapped her arms around herself, unsure what to do with them.

Sean felt foolish. He?d been focused only on himself. He?d forgotten that Lorna had revealed herself as a mutant to him and to the others. And she looked like she needed this place even if he didn?t.

?You don?t have to come with us? Sean said, ?You can stay if you want?. He realized it sounded funny to give her his blessing, but he felt like that?s what Lorna was looking for.

She looked over at Sean, unable to reply. She could only nod.

A soft knock at the door made everyone jump slightly.

?Sean, May I come in?? Charles called.

Sean nodded to Lorna who moved to open the door.

Charles was outside, sitting in the hoverchair Hank had made for him. He carefully navigated the chair inside the room and turned towards the two girls.

?My apologies. We haven?t been properly introduced. My name is Charles Xavier.? He held out his right hand.

Lorna approached him and shook it, ?I?m Lorna Dane. And this is my friend Mauve Rourke.?

Mauve gave a cordial nod.

?You two are welcome to stay with us for the evening. We have spare bedrooms we can prepare and I believe w

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    The official story was a gas main explosion. This did little to quell the many bystanders who reported ?giant robots?, ?flying men?, ?a jet? and ?blue monsters?. However, that was why Hazmat had been called in.

[face_laugh]

It's one thing to question the official story, it's quite another thing to start making wild accusations -, aaaaaaand I am caught in the wrong super hero movie. :p

He had no desire to meet Xavier in person after today.

Good. :cool:

?Congressman! What brings you to New Salem Mall??

?Representative Kelly, what is the government planning to do about-?!?

Bleh! Because we don't already have enough scum gathering together for one story. [face_laugh]

?But Congressman! What about the giant robots and blue men??

Kelly turned to face the speaker, a young male reporter.

?You weren?t too close to the mall were you? I?m told that the gas fumes are quite potent?

:p Oily politician.

Mauve?s face brightened at this news. ?I?m returning to Ireland later this afternoon. You could come with me!?

His worries momentarily forgotten, Sean grinned. ?Alright. Sure.? he said. He looked over at Lorna who seemed lost.

I am really, really fascinated by this development. [face_thinking]

?-That you were the only one? Sean finished. He knew what that felt like.

Lorna nodded. She wrapped her arms around herself, unsure what to do with them.

This was beautiful. =D=

Another thing I love about the X-Men, is watching as people like Lorna find a place where they can really belong. [face_love] I also love what you are doing with Polaris - I haven't seen her written this way yet, and I am really enjoying it. =D=

?Well that?s the problem Professor. It?s all about what you want. You never even asked us what we wanted.?

Charles recoiled into the back of his chair. Sean?s words had stung. But that was because the boy was absolutely correct. He hadn?t thought of their opinions on the matter. He?d been selfish. He was silent.

Your whole conversation between them was perfect. Sean was fiery and angry - but he was also right. Charles reasons were understandable, but he's learning how to be a leader, just as much as everyone else is developing.

Wonderful updates, both. =D=

~MJ @};-

3. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Why do I get the feeling something is going to happen to cancel the trip to Ireland?

4. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    mrjop2: It's unwise to give me ideas. [face_devil]

Mira_Jade: When it comes to X-Men,one can never have enough scum gathering. :p As to Sean, well that should be answered in tomorrow's chapter hopefully. I'm glad you're enjoying Lorna. I can tell you that tomorrow's chapter thus far has been my favorite to write and yes, Lorna features in it.

I think you hit it absolutely right: Charles is still learning to be a leader. He's still making mistakes. And he will learn from this mistakes as the story progresses.

[b]Chapter 20[/b]

Moira helped the girls get settled into two separate rooms and then made her way towards her own room. As she entered, she paused and examined it. Charles and the boys hadn?t touched the room since she?d left. She opened the closet door and noticed that several of her things still hung exactly where she had left them the morning they departed for Cuba. For the first time in several weeks, Moira felt like she was home.

She closed the closet door and made her way back into the hall, pausing to examine the changes that had occurred in her absence. An elevator was nearly completed for Charles to use, at the expense of one of the hall closets. She stiffened as Raven passed by her and made her way into the room that had belonged to Erik. Raven made no attempt to hide her contempt for Moira and barely made eye contact. As she approached the room, she closed the door immediately behind her.

Moira did her best to hide her disappointment. Raven had changed so much since they had first met. While she admired Raven?s comfort in her own skin, something that the girl had struggled with for so long, she was saddened that it had caused her to turn against her former friends. Most of all, she was sad for Charles. And, she reflected, she was sad for herself. Had she and Charles pursued a serious relationship, she had seen Raven as a potential girl friend and confidant. Now, that would never be.

Moira noticed that door to Charles? room was open and the light was still on. She quietly walked towards it and saw with dismay that Charles was not in bed. She turned and headed down the stairs and carefully walked towards the sitting area.
    Illuminated by the fire place, Moira saw Charles sitting in front of the chess table. Across from him, she saw Erik, still clad in his blood red outfit and deep in thought, his hand resting on one of his knight pieces. The scene before her was all too familiar. But to Moira, it once more illustrated the painful changes this ?team? had suffered so recently. Charles was sitting in the contraption Hank had designed, looking far older than Moira had remembered. Erik?s helmet sat on a nearby table, a symbol of what he?d become.

Moira had not told Charles about her interactions with Erik. After everything that had happened, she couldn?t bare to burden him with anything else. She had heard the girls mention that Sean was leaving in the morning and she knew what a blow that was to Charles. She knew that Erik was right about the Sentinel project. It had to be stopped. But, she was worried about the cost. In one day, Charles had gone from seeking peace with mankind to being prepared to go to war to defend his fellow mutants.

Moira wished Erik and Raven had left with Frost, Angel and Azazel. Erik had sent the three back to their mysterious base. Moira knew that was the only reason Erik was not currently wearing his helmet. It was clear he did not trust Emma Frost. But Charles was another matter. At one point, Moira believed that Erik would benefit from Charles influence. Now, she feared the reverse was happening. After everything that had been taken from him, was Charles attempting to hold on to his friendship with Erik at the cost of the ideals that he held so dear?

If the two men had noticed her presence, they gave no indication. Deciding to leave them be for now, Moira made her way towards the front door of the mansion and retrieved her coat. She shivered as she opened the door, noticing how much the temperature had dropped in the past few hours. Or perha

5. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Ah, so she also finished medical school. That was one thing I didn't like about X-Men First Class. She is supposed to be a doctor not an agent.

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    You are right to be proud of this update - it is one of my favorites yet, as well. =D= :)

Charles was sitting in the contraption Hank had designed, looking far older than Moira had remembered. Erik?s helmet sat on a nearby table, a symbol of what he?d become.

This was a great image that you painted here! And an excellent contrast to the scenes where they played chess in the film. Highlighting the hoverchair and the helmet was a brilliant stroke. =D=

After everything that had been taken from him, was Charles attempting to hold on to his friendship with Erik at the cost of the ideals that he held so dear?

A good question. One I bet Charles hasn't really even thought of. :(

Moira felt terrible for Hank. Next to Charles, no one had suffered as much in so short a time. Like Raven, Hank had been uncomfortable in his own skin. In his desperation to be normal, he had transformed himself into a terrifying beast. She knew that he had feared what he could become. And now, knowing that his research had fallen into the wrong hands, Hank must be beside himself.

A great character sketch right here. I had moments in the film where Hank just bothered me to no end - especially in his interactions with Raven in the latter parts of the film. But here he just seems so broken and ashamed. I truly feel for him here, and I look forward to seeing him gain a semblance of peace, as well.

?I am a trained medical professional? she stated, ?Dr. Moira McTaggert? she said for the very first time. Her smile widened. That felt right.

Oh, that throwback was lovely to see. [face_love] I enjoyed seeing her as an agent in the film - it just seemed to fit her, somehow, but this origins was nice to see.

The girl seemed ready to protest but Moira could tell she was far too exhausted to succeed. Deciding it was not wise to send her back to her room, Moira guided Lorna to an empty bed and helped her into it. She then placed a cover over her as the girl quickly fell back to sleep.

[face_love] So much love for that little part! :D

=D=

~MJ @};-

7. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    mrjop2: Yes, Moira finished Med school in my version. I hinted as much in an earlier chapter. Essentially, she went to med school, was approached by the CIA late in her academic career, completed med school and then joined the CIA. It's a bit messy I'll admit. But I hate Agent Moira! And her expertise as a doctor is needed. :p

Mira_Jade: Thanks for the comments on the chapter. But actually, I wasn't referring to that one (though I enjoyed it). It's this chapter, chapter 21, that I really enjoyed writing. Hopefully the reason why will be evident.

Thanks for the comments about the imagery between Charles and Erik. I found the scene of them playing in First Class vs. how they were at the end of X-Men 1 to be a very good illustration of how much they'd changed and I wanted to show that here as well. Erik and Charles may be working together, but their goals are still very different.

One of my goals in the next few chapters does involve helping bring Hank a form of peace. Hopefully, you'll enjoy Dr. Moira more than Agent Moira. I think First Class's ending essentially closed the door on her career as an agent. So now, I wanted to start shifting her into the role she was destined for. But this shift will be slow moving.

[b]Chapter 21[/b]

It was still dark when Erik awoke. He carefully angled himself to look at the clock and saw that it was nearly 6 in the morning. Unable to fall back asleep, he slowly sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed, doing his best not to disturb his sleeping companion.

He glanced over to see Raven, her scarlet hair sprawled across her pillow, fast asleep. He moved his hand gingerly over her hair, clearing some of it out of her face. She let out a small sigh and he paused, afraid he had woken her. When she made no further movements, Erik carefully got up from the bed, using his powers to levitate above the floor so as not to make the wood creak beneath his feet.

He moved over to the closet and quickly withdrew one of his turtlenecks and a pair of slacks. He lowered himself to the floor carefully and dressed quickly, doing his best to make as little noise as possible. He held his shoes in his hands as he carefully made his way to the door. Willing the door to open as quietly as possible, he passed through the opening and carefully pulled it shut behind him.

The hallway itself was quiet. He assumed most of the others were still fast asleep. Erik made his way down the stairs and paused. Below him, he saw Sean and his girlfriend heading for the front door. As Sean opened the door, Erik could see a taxi cab parked out front. Sean paused in the doorway, taking a moment to look back at the mansion and froze as he saw Erik standing at the top of the stairs.

Erik simply glared at the boy. Sean eyed him evenly and then turned back without a word, departing the mansion. The girl followed, unaware of what Sean had seen. She pulled the door shut quietly behind her and then made her way down toward the taxi. A few moments later, Erik heard the car pull out of the driveway.

On the one hand, Erik felt bad for Charles. This was just one more trial for his friend to endure. But on the other, he never really liked Sean that much. The boy was a clown and a coward. And yet, he couldn?t help but admire the fight Sean had put up at the mall. But if there was any hope for him, it had vanished when he walked through the door with that girl.

Erik bent down, slipped on his shoes and then quietly descended the staircase and made his way outside. He felt the cold hit him immediately, but he did not shiver. Erik was used to cold like this. He had endured such cold years ago in the camps. And he had worn far less than the warm clothes he now had on. He paused in the driveway, noticing that it had started to lightly snow. He decided against going back for a jacket. He wasn?t sure if he even had one. Instead, he began to walk, unsure of his destination.

He was just passing by the series of ramps that led to the unfinished sub basement level when he saw the other girl from the

8. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Magneto's form of training... that's the last thing she needs.

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, THIS chapter. I see what you mean. ;) :p

When she made no further movements, Erik carefully got up from the bed, using his powers to levitate above the floor so as not to make the wood creak beneath his feet

He can fly now! We didn't see him do that in the film . . . [face_thinking]

Erik bent down, slipped on his shoes and then quietly descended the staircase and made his way outside. He felt the cold hit him immediately, but he did not shiver. Erik was used to cold like this. He had endured such cold years ago in the camps. And he had worn far less than the warm clothes he now had on. He paused in the driveway, noticing that it had started to lightly snow. He decided against going back for a jacket. He wasn?t sure if he even had one. Instead, he began to walk, unsure of his destination.

Just - this. All of this. I loved seeing this chapter from Erik's POV! Such a fascinating, complex character, and I loved seeing all of those little nuances break through in different lines. =D=

Hank was a dreamer. He was a man of science. He was not a true man of action. To do what Hank wanted would take decades. And likely, something would blow up or catch fire and Charles would probably be the one to suffer.

[face_love]

You have their bromance down pat. :)

While he was here, Erik intended to improve upon Hank?s primitive designs and get things on track. Charles was forever unable to perform the necessary physical labor, in part, because of Erik. Therefore, it was only fitting that he helped him with this project. And, Erik thought, there was one area that would be particularly helpful for everyone involved.

THIS.

The movie conveniently glanced over his skills as an engineer, and the sub levels of the mansion always did have Magneto's stamp all over it will all of that shiny metal. :p

?You can manipulate magnetic fields. You can move metal objects? He did not ask her. He simply stated this as a fact that she could not deny.

?Not like you? she replied.

Few can like him. :p

This whole interaction was made of epic win.

?Wow..? Lorna breathed.

Amen to that!

?Because you are afraid. Afraid to tap into your true potential. Afraid of greatness? he admonished.

Such a Magneto line here . . .

?Terror won?t help you. You will have to let go of the fear you have if you intend to leave this room. You can not be afraid of who you are?

?How do you do it?? Lorna finally asked.

?There is a point?, he stated, ?between rage and serentity.?

[face_love]

Parts of his teaching were harsh, but in the end - she will benefit from this. Especially with the events coming up, not having control will have disastrous results - for hers and others. And Erik knows that better than most.

I loved the echoing of Xavier's teachings in with his own. :)

He motioned to the pile of tiles. ?I?ll be back after dinner. I expect the room to be finished by then.?

?W-wait!? Lorna shouted, moving towards the exit.

Erik did not look back. Instead, the two tiles closest to Lorna flew past her and landed several feet in front of her, lodged into the dirt ground, blocking her one exit.

[face_laugh]

She can do it. :cool:

Excellent update! This is by far my favorite one yet. =D=

~MJ @};-

10. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Actually, Erik did fly in the film, at the very end, after killing Shaw. He flies out of the hole in the submarine and tells the mutants to stop fighting each other, because the real enemies are on those warship that were about to file missiles at them.

Just got my preordered copy of X-Men First Class, it's only after a week since it's been out! Silly Wallmart!

Now, I have to wait for Thor, which is now out, and Transformers 3 later this month.

Oh, and I'll be falling a little behind this week. I'm on vacation starting tomorrow. Will start to catch up when I return, starting Monday.

11. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Notice: This story is not dead. I've just had less time for writing due to large exams. Expect updating to resume this week.:)

12. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    It's no problem. Glad that I didn't miss anything.

13. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    And after a very long delay due to exams, work and writer's block for this chapter:

[b]mrjop2[/b]: I'm not quite sure yet whether Lorna will benefit from Erik's tough love approach to training. I think Erik sees himself as a tough teacher. His goal is to keep her alive. I don't think he particularly cares about being liked. So perhaps Lorna will do better under his guidance than she would with just Charles.

[b]Mira_Jade[/b]: Erik could levitate a little in First Class. I've been gradually expanding his powers as well as everyone else's as they've had several weeks of time to hone them. Erik was also flying/hovering during his battle with the Sentinel earlier.

I'm glad you enjoyed Erik's POV. It's definitely a fun one to write for. And as I mentioned, that particular chapter was my favorite to write thus far. As far as his bromance, look for some of that in this chapter as well. I think Erik now feels a duty to Charles. Charles has been weakened and Erik is in a position to protect him. So look for that theme in future chapters for sure.

I couldn't agree more about the subbasement. When I think gleaming cold metal, I don't think Xavier and kids. I think Magneto. That whole area seemed like it was Magneto's touch. So while Hank's designs might have called for a lot of metal, expect Erik to refine things as much as possible.

Glad you enjoyed Lorna and Erik's interaction. Aside from a small part with Raven and pushing Sean in the movie, Erik didn't do much teaching so I really wanted to show the contrast in styles as well as some of the similarities. I do think Erik cares for her, enough that he wants her to stay alive. And yes, I do think Lorna can do what Erik has asked of her. But we'll see...

[hr]

[b]Chapter 22[/b]

This time he remembered that he could not walk. Charles had gone to bed late and been unable to truly fall asleep for long. The sunlight streamed through his windows and woke him up from what little rest he had gotten. Perhaps that was why he had remembered this time. Or perhaps, reality had finally caught up with him.

Not only did he remember, but this morning he hurt. Even though he couldn?t feel his legs, he felt some type of phantom pain. Charles was smart enough to know this was all in his mind and was most likely a manifestation of the guilt he felt over what had happened to Sean and Alex. But knowing did not lessen the pain.

He rolled over to his side and inched his upper body towards the edge of the bed. He looked down and realized he was still fully dressed. He had been so tired last night that he had gone to bed without changing.

Sitting beside the bed was the chair Hank had designed. Though he had initially resisted it, Charles could not deny the chair was useful. He had been able to get in and out of it with little assistance and he was able to go up and down stairs with it. He still preferred a more normal chair of course, but for now, this contraption would do.

Grasping the top of his bed frame, Charles pulled himself into a sitting position. Using his free hand, he swung his legs into the chair and then gradually slid himself inside. As soon as he was inside, the chair began humming to life. Charles guided the chair out of the room and down the hall.

He passed by Moira?s room and could tell she had not slept in there at all. He saw that Erik?s door was closed. He paused by Sean?s and saw with dismay that the room was completely empty. Sean had already left.
    Charles felt the pain throb and once more reminded himself that it was all in his head. He had failed spectacularly as a leader. Because of his mistakes, Alex was in critical condition and Sean had left. He had never meant to violate the boy?s trust, but he had been wrong.

Using his abilities the way he had was not only irresponsible, but also dangerous. Had Sean been attacked while under his mental commands, the boy would not have been able to defend himself. It was ironic that even though he was a telepath, he had not been thinking at all when he had seized control of Sean?s mind.
    Charles passed by Hank?s door and paus

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm so glad to see this going again. I am enjoying this tale immensely. [face_love]

Indeed he did levitate! :oops: (Review was typed after only watching First Class once. 8-}) Either way, I am really enjoying the growth you are putting into Erik's character. In more ways than one. [face_love]

Not only did he remember, but this morning he hurt. Even though he couldn?t feel his legs, he felt some type of phantom pain. Charles was smart enough to know this was all in his mind and was most likely a manifestation of the guilt he felt over what had happened to Sean and Alex. But knowing did not lessen the pain.

A great look at this aspect of his injury. What a mess. :(

?You may wish to grab a coat? Charles advised.

?I?ll be fine? Raven replied.

Charles let the matter drop as Raven opened the door and immediately stepped outside. While she tried to hide it, Charles could see her body shiver. If possible, her skin turned another shade of blue.

A very interesting little snippet. I have always wondered how she was able to keep warm in some less than cozy environments. :p

?Raven, you left. I sent you away?

?But I would have come back if you?d asked. Erik would have come too?

?And you both have now.? Charles observed.

?But you nearly died! Charles, you?re not invincible.?

A great character moment!

Points of views may different, and life's choices may draw people apart, but there is still that bond that lingers beneath. It has always been one of my favorite aspects of Erik and Charles' relationship, and now it is fascinating to see Raven in that fold as well. Our of the new film, that was probably one of my favorite twists. [face_love]

?It?s a well kept secret Charles. But I think the secret?s out. I can?t help anyone with my current job at the CIA. But as a doctor, I can do so much more.?

So much love for Moira right now. [face_love]

He spotted Erik standing at the end of the bridge, He was using his abilities to bend a large piece of metal into shape. Charles was silent as Erik methodically manipulated the properties of the metal object until it formed a flat, curved surface. Erik then moved it on top of two other objects that looked like table legs. Charles saw several metal bolts whisk through the air and attach the surface to the legs, creating a table.

THIS!!!!!!

?We have a lot to do and very little time? Erik replied. He looked over at Raven. Raven closed the compartment and carefully stood back up.

Creepy deja vu to her sabotaging the machine in XI. 8-}

Immediately, his mind was whisking over the world, seeing hundreds of bright lights that designated mutants. He saw a white haired girl screaming in terror. He saw a terrified young boy, trying to hide angelic wings. And that was not all. Charles? eyes widened in amazement as he saw more lights come into being.

Great mental imagery here!

It was a beautiful moment to see Cerebro starting to work more and more as well all know and love . . . [face_love] {And Warren and Ororo! I loved the reference. :D)

?I saw... a young girl. Erik...she?s more powerful than any mutant I?ve ever sensed...She?s more powerful than I am?

Jean!!! :D

You had 'Annie' in the shout, so I presume . . . Jean's childhood friend, the one whose death unlocked her telepathic powers . . . [face_dancing] (Oi, I am such a geek, and this fic is bringing out all that and more in me. :p)

This is going to be brilliant when they find her. :cool:

Keep up the good work. =D=

~MJ @};-

15. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I sense Jean Gray coming into the picture!

16. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    For the foreseeable future, updates will likely be one per week. This is a hectic month at work.

[b]Mira_Jade[/b]: I'm glad you enjoyed the interaction with Charles and Raven. That was an area that took some time to write. I knew I wanted them to interact but it was difficult to figure out how to approach it. Also enjoying Moira myself. Bit by bit, I am trying to forge these characters into resembling the people they will become. Moira is now at least on the right path for that to happen. Really glad you enjoyed Cerebro. That one was a fun moment to write. Raven wasn't originally supposed to be in there but she just sort of made her way into the chapter somehow. [face_tongue] Also, I love the geek knowledge, always appreciate it when my little tidbits are acknowledged. [face_happy]

[b]mrjop2[/b]: You are correct. In fact....

[hr]

[b]Chapter 23[/b]

Erik drove the van slowly past the quiet, snow covered suburban neighborhood.

?You?re sure this is the right place?? he asked Charles.

Charles had his head to his temples and his eyes closed. He was silent for a moment more before replying

?I?m sure. It?s this house on the right? he said.

Erik directed the van to stop just in front of the freshly shoveled driveway. Satisfied, he shut off the ignition and opened the door. He quickly went to the back and opened the doors. Taking a quick look at his surroundings, Erik noticed several neighbors in their front yard. Deciding not to risk anything, Erik hoisted himself into the back and grabbed the wheelchair instead of using his powers. He was glad they had opted to leave the hoverchair at the mansion.

He pushed the chair around towards the passenger side of the van and opened the side door. Charles swung himself towards the edge of the seat and Erik helped him quickly into the wheelchair. Once inside, Charles grasped the wheels of the chair and pushed himself up towards the mailbox while Erik closed the van doors.

Charles swung around to look at him. Erik secured his hat and straightened his grey trench coat. He took another look at the house and turned to Charles.

?I still don?t know why I?m here. Couldn?t you just make them say yes??

Charles stared at Erik. After the incident with Sean, he had no intention of ever misusing his powers for personal gain again. Charles chose his words carefully.

?Yes, I could, but it's not my way.? At least, not any more, he thought. ?And I would expect you, of all people, would understand my feelings about the misuse of power.?

He fixed Erik with a glare, reminding him of everything that had transpired.
    Erik let out a sigh in frustration. Charles was still blaming himself for the fallout with Sean. And now his friend was afraid of his own abilities. What he did was to save the boy?s life. Erik knew this and he would have done the same. Sean would eventually learn to appreciate this fact as well. Or else he would remain in Ireland. Either option suited Erik.

?Ah, power corrupts and all that. Yes, I know, Charles.? he replied sarcastically. He made his way behind the wheelchair and moved to push him towards the front door.
    ?When are you going to stop lecturing??

Charles smirked. ?When you start listening.? he retorted.

Erik smiled and pushed the wheelchair up the shoveled front walk. Charles craned his neck around to face him ? And you're here because I need you.?

Erik rolled his eyes. ?We're not going to have to meet every one of them in person, are we??
    Erik paused at the front door. Charles turned around to face the door.

?No?, he said, his eyes fixed on the mahogany door. ?This one?s special?

He waved Erik away and rolled closer to the front door. Unable to reach the doorbell, he rapped his knuckles on the door three times.

After a moment, he could hear movement and saw a man and woman look out from a nearby window. Charles rolled the chair back a few inches just as the door opened.

The woman appeared, keeping the door still slightly closed. ?Y-yes??

?Mrs. Grey, my name is Charles Xavier. This is my colleague Erik Lensherr? He paused a moment as he saw the woman?s

17. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Nice way to tie X3 to the First Class.

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Another awesome update. =D= Weekly updates are still speedy for me. [face_laugh] It gives one lots of time to savour. ;)

?Yes, I could, but it's not my way.? At least, not any more, he thought. ?And I would expect you, of all people, would understand my feelings about the misuse of power.?

I believe that I have mentioned how much I am enjoying the thought and character growth you have put into this, but still - this. Right here. This whole mini arch with the professor's discretion with his powers is perfect. =D=

What he did was to save the boy?s life. Erik knew this and he would have done the same. Sean would eventually learn to appreciate this fact as well. Or else he would remain in Ireland. Either option suited Erik.

So pragmatic, Erik. :p

But he's right. :)

?When are you going to stop lecturing??

Charles smirked. ?When you start listening.? he retorted.

These two!! [face_love]

?What about her... illness??

?Illness?? Erik repeated

?John...? Elaine admonished

?You think your daughter is sick, Mr. Grey?? Erik asked

o_O

A telling moment for both. :( It's sad how unaccepted mutants are, but at the same, I can only imagine how freaked out her parents must have been.

As always, Erik's instant ire was enjoyable. [face_mischief]

Jean looked at him with a sad smile and said ?Really?? she looked out the window, ?I doubt that.?

Charles and Erik followed her gaze to see several cars gradually lifting off the snowy ground and into the air.

?Oh, Charles.? Erik said, still watching the floating vehicles, ?I like this one?

I bet he does. :p

Unwilling to be distracted, Charles shut them all out and focused on Jean?s mind. He began to build. Piece by piece, Charles began building a dam around Jean?s mind, keeping the stray thoughts of others from reaching her. As he did so, Jean?s mind became tame and the wild river became a slow current.

I adored your writing explaining her powers. Very eloquent, and very vivid.

Another interesting debate in canon has always been how much of her control was lost in the end by these blocks in the beginning. I am fascinated to see how you are going to build this - especially with the Phoenix entity. I can only imagine the debates Erik and Charles would have over that. [face_thinking]

Immediately he could see the boy. A young man, no older than Jean, sat huddled in a dark corner, his scrawny arms wrapped around his knees. Charles saw a device wrapped around his eyes, making it impossible for the boy to see. While the boy?s lips weren?t moving, his mind was shouting.

And Scott! I presume. :D

It was lovely to see how they are connected, even this early on. [face_love]

As always, I am looking forward to the next update. :)

~MJ @};-

19. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Like Jean Grey herself, this story is not dead. :p

After Snowstorm Alfred knocked out my power for the week, I return with a new chapter.

mrjop2: Thanks! It was a bit of effort getting the dialogue but I was pleased overall. Now watch me completely ignore Wolverine. :p

Mira_Jade: I'm glad you enjoy Erik and Charles and their continued banter. They are a fun pair to write. Thanks for the complement on depicting Jean's abilties. It's been a bit more of a challenge since these abilities have been done mostly visually in comics and movies so to write it was different. And yes, Charles and Erik will definitely have some discussions over Jean's abilities for some time to come. And yes indeed, that is poor Scott.

[b]Chapter 24[/b]

Charles and Erik returned to the mansion with Jean and immediately headed towards the hanger. The boy Jean had seen was located somewhere out west from what Charles could tell. He could not imagine why Jean had been able to sense someone so far away, but the fact of the matter was that she could.

Before they could enter the hanger, Hank emerged from his lab.

?Charles! There you are!? He exclaimed.

Jean eyed Hank with interest but Charles was pleased to notice she exhibited no fear.

?Jean, this is Henry McCoy. Hank, this is Jean Grey?

?Hi? Jean replied. Hank nodded his head.

?I?ve finished another model of your chair Charles. It?s even better than the old one. Though I still prefer the hover-?

Charles held up a hand. ?Hank, we?re in hurry. If you could please get the chair.?

?Right? Hank said. He ducked back into his lab and returned a moment later pushing a new silver wheelchair identical to the one the robot had destroyed.

?It?s not going to shoot missiles or launch him several hundred feet into the air I hope? Erik inquired.

?No. It?s just a normal motorized chair.? Hank replied. He placed the chair next to Charles and then helped him out of the medical wheelchair and into the new model.

?It?s wonderful Hank. Now, if you?ll follow us to the hanger. We need to get to Nebraska as quickly as possible and you?re the only one who can fly the plane.?

?Oh. Right? Hank closed the door to his lab and followed the group towards the hanger.

As they rounded the corner, Charles saw Lorna emerge from a side corridor, covered in sweat and dirt. She stopped directly in front of them and turned to look at Erik.

?Well?? he asked.

?It?s done. Before dinner? she replied, flashing him a smug grin.

?The floor as well?? Erik asked.

Lorna?s face fell. ?You didn?t-?

?I?ll see you after dinner then? Erik replied, dismissing the girl.

Charles, Hank and Jean watched the exchange in silence.

?Erik-?

?Later Charles. We have more pressing matters to attend to? Erik strode up to the Blackbird and positioned himself in the copilot?s seat.

Hank motioned Jean to a nearby seat and then hurried to the pilot?s chair, rapidly running through the start up procedures.

Charles rolled his chair into the area behind the copilot and locked the chair into position. He could feel Erik magnetically binding the chair to the floor. The wheelchair was not going anywhere.

Charles felt the jet roar to life and moments later, they were lifting out of the hanger and soaring through the sky at top speed.

[hr]
    Scott Summers began to wonder if he would ever see again. It had been weeks since he?d last dared to open his eyes. He?d lost count of how many. The last thing he remembered was a fight started by one of the other orphans. Scott had been defending another boy and he saw red.
    He?d heard the screams and immediately shut his eyes. He didn?t bother opening them again. He remembered falling to the ground, crying. He?d pleaded to know what had happened. What was wrong with him?

The next thing Scott remembered was being hit over and over again by the other boys until he must have passed out.

When he woke up, he had remembered not to open his eyes. The voices around him had threatened to hurt him if he tried. From what little he could gather, he was in a cell of some sort. He ha

20. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Awesome introduction of Scott and Jean!

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I was so very pleased to see this one updated. :D

?It?s not going to shoot missiles or launch him several hundred feet into the air I hope? Erik inquired.

Bwaha! [face_laugh] Such cheek. :p (That would be awesome, though. ;))

?The floor as well?? Erik asked.

Lorna?s face fell. ?You didn?t-?

?I?ll see you after dinner then? Erik replied, dismissing the girl.

Well done with the interaction! =D= I loved that she was able to meet his challenge, and such pride she had at that! Wonderfully Magneto sending her back, though. :p

And then that whole introduction for Scott . . . how my heart ached for him! He's not normally my favorite of the team, but I really truly felt for him here. WHat he doesn't know of family, he is about to experience ten fold. [face_love]

Erik didn?t let the man finish. Charles and Jean snapped their heads back as the cell door became unhinged from the rest of the cell and embedded itself against the brick wall nearby.

?There?s your authorization? Erik replied.

So much love for Erik at this moment. [face_love]

?I- I know you? Scott croaked. He turned towards Jean slowly, ?You were in my dreams?

[face_love]

?Alex Summers learned to control his abilities with my help. And I promised him I would help his brother as well.?

?A-Alex?? Scott repeated. Charles watched as the boy gradually absorbed the news.

?My brother?s alive?? He asked.

I am looking forward to this reunion so very much! :D

"Actually, the deputy just remembered he had some chores that needed to be taken care of for his wife and he ran over to the store to get milk. When he returns, he'll discover that young Scott made his escape on his own."

Once again - great job here with having the professor finding a middle ground with his powers. A time and a place, indeed. [face_love]

Great update, I can't wait for the next. =D=

[:D]

~MJ @};-

22. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    mrjop2: Thanks! I really wanted Scott and Jean's introduction to be special. As you'll see, there is a reason why Charles sees them as his first students.

Mira_Jade: Glad you enjoy Erik's quips at Hank's expense. I enjoyed adding that in. Also glad you enjoyed Lorna and Erik's teacher/student relationship. This is a fun one for me to write. As to Scott, I knew I wanted him to really feel rescued. In the first movie when Xavier is in a coma, the way Scott talks to him with such love and gratitude and I wanted to make it clear just why that was. Xavier and Jean saved Scott's life and you're right that they will become the family he has been deprived of for so long.

As I've said before, Erik's definitely the most fun to write at the moment. There are just things that he can do that no one else can. I knew immediately that once I was bringing him into this scene (originally it was just going to be Charles) that he would be the one to free Scott in his own unique way. As to Charles, I knew I wanted him to find that middle ground as you said. As we saw in X1 and X2, there are times when his actions are warranted. And as he develops into Professor X, I definitely wanted to get that part across.

Now, this chapter is a bit shorter than last week's, but I hope it gives you an idea of where the plot is going.

[b]Chapter 25[/b]

It was late in the evening by the time the car pulled up to the Capital building. The windows were mostly dark and the path way was covered with freshly fallen snow. The car came to a stop near the entrance and waited for it?s sole passenger to disembark.

As he exited the car, Congressman Robert Kelly pulled his winter coat tightly around him. While it had been cold in New Salem, it seemed even colder in Washington this evening. Kelly was exhausted. After the incident at the mall late last night, he had spent much of the day on the phone with members of Congress and the people of his district. He?d also been in touch with Stryker.

Kelly stifled a yawn as he entered the empty halls of the building and headed towards his office. He did not intend to stay for long. He had some paperwork to retrieve from his office and then he intended to be driven home for a well deserved night?s sleep.

He pulled his coat even tightier as he approached his office. The area by his secretary's desk felt almost as cold inside the office as it did outside. He made a note to contact the Boiler Room on Monday and then turned the door knob to his own office.

As the door opened, Kelly?s face fell.

?Congressman? A voice called from behind Kelly?s desk, ?Please come in.?

Though the chair was facing the window, the congressman knew exactly who was seated at his desk. But what caught Kelly?s attention was the young girl standing to the right of the desk. Her dark skin and tattered clothes would have made her nearly impossible to see in the dark office if not for her shocking white hair and matching pupils.

?Ororo my dear, please bring the temperature up a bit. The congressman is not used to the temperatures you and I are familiar with.?

Kelly watched in amazement as the young girl nodded her head. Immediately, Kelly felt the room get several degrees hotter. He turned to the wall and flipped on the lightswitch, instantly brightening the entire room. Kelly saw exactly what the young girl had done. The carpet in his office was soaked from now melting snow.

Kelly made another note to contact maintenance about replacing the carpet over the winter break and then moved closer to his desk.

?Have a seat Robert?

Kelly was not used to being told to sit in his own office, but he knew better than to say as much. He sat in one of the comfortable chairs normally occupied by his guests.

Once he was seated, the occupant in Kelly's chair spoke. ?I trust the incident in New York has been handled??

Kelly paused to see if the chair would swivel around. When it did not, he shifted in his chair to be close to the desk.

?Gyrich has the area closed off. There were a few eyewitnesses but they?ve come up with a cover st

23. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    That was brilliant! You've got all the characters down completely and I'm really looking forward to see how this plays out.

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Holy heck batman, plot! And lots of it. :cool:

Though the chair was facing the window, the congressman knew exactly who was seated at his desk. But what caught Kelly?s attention was the young girl standing to the right of the desk. Her dark skin and tattered clothes would have made her nearly impossible to see in the dark office if not for her shocking white hair and matching pupils.

VERY neat way to have Ororo here. The Shadow King is creepy on the best of days, and yet I love seeing so many familiar villains in one place with this story. [face_love] (Stryker, Kelly, Master Mold - and Shaw is already taken care of . . . the only other familiar we need is Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister and it will be a full party. :cool:)

?Erik Lensherr no doubt? the voice replied with a distinct note of disdain.

?We don?t have much information about him. But if he was responsible, he should be our priority. Xavier?s been crippled. He?s not the threat we feared.

Silly Kelly. :p

Stick to politics. o_O

Farouk continued, ?We have more pressing matters to attend to. Dr. Essex?s project is no longer a secret. It appears Xavier has found him as well. Nathaniel is currently traveling through Cairo and he?s out of contact. I do not need to tell you how upset he will be when he learns what has transpired.

[face_love]!!!!!!!

Remember what I just said about needing Sinister to make it a full party? Yep, you own my soul now. [face_love] (Yes, I have a ridiculous fondness for the crazy Victorian doctor. :p)

. . . it makes sense, though, anywhere Scott and Jean are, he's soon to follow. 8-}[face_devil]

Kelly looked at the young girl and noticed her shivering despite the now warm room. He could tell Farouk was in her head. If she weren?t such a danger, perhaps he might even have felt sorry for the girl.

Poor Ororo! I love how you are developing the team so far. So many lost souls, there is such a beauty to them being banded together. [face_love]

Farouk turned from the window to look at Kelly. ?The Black King may have been powerful once, but his arrogance got the better of him. He was never a match for the Shadow King.?

And Amahl Farouk has NEVER been a match for Professor X. :cool: This is going to be awesome. :D

=D=

~MJ @};-

25. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Once again, I'm not dead. I'm just busy with classwork. Finals is coming up so it may be another week or so before I get back to my regular writing schedule.

PirateofRohan: Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the story. :)

Mira_Jade: I'm glad you enjoyed Ororo. I've been wanting to introduce her for some time but needed to wait until the right moment. Apocalypse will not be in this story. But if you paid attention, I did make a subtle nod to him when Faruk talked about Essex. That said, both he and Sinister are for another day. There are already enough players in this story and a few more not yet introduced. Sinister and Apocalypse are a story of their own. And I aim to do them justice should I decide to tackle them later on. The bit on Essex is a plot point for another day but one I wanted to include. I don't see Sinister making an appearance this time though. So you can have your soul back :p

As to Kelly, I'm not so sure he's wrong. Keep in mind that Erik is an unknown to Kelly. And he doesn't like unknown variables. That said, he definitely underestimates Charles and what he's capable of. And yes, I can say it will indeed be awesome when Charles and the Shadow King finally meet. Let's just say that is the point where I think he will finally have earned the title of Professor X. ;)

[b]Chapter 26[/b]

By the time Hank had landed the blackbird, it was nearly midnight. Charles looked over to see Scott and Jean both fast asleep, exhausted by the day?s events. Charles longed for the comfort of his own bed.

Erik, however, was wide awake. He unfastened his belt and began moving briskly towards the exit. Hank was a bit groggier, taking his time to exit the pilot chair and move towards the exit.

As the hatch opened and the ramp descended, Charles heard footsteps and turned to see Moira and Raven making their way up the ramp.

?Did you find the boy?? Moira asked. Charles watched her stifle a yawn. He could tell she was exhausted as well and clearly she and Raven had stayed up late waiting for their return.

?We did.? Charles replied, stifling a yawn of his own. ?It?s late though. Help me get these two to bed and we?ll talk more in the morning.?

Moira nodded and went over to the two teenagers, grasped their shoulders and gently began to shake them awake.

?C?mon you two. Let?s find you a room for the night.?

Scott looked over at Charles, waiting for his unspoken permission.

?This is Dr. Moira McTaggert. You can trust her Scott. Go with her and get washed up. We?ll speak in the morning.? He then turned to Moira and added ?Moira, there?s some unused clothes from when I was a boy in my old room. There should also be some nightclothes that Scott can borrow for tonight.?

Moira nodded and led Scott and Jean down the ramp of the Blackbird, leaving Charles, Erik, Raven and Hank alone.

?Well?? Erik asked, turning to look at Raven.

Charles and Hank exchanged glances, unsure of what the two of them were up to.

?Kelly?s definitely a part of it. Frost and Azazel attempted to follow him back to his office. She claims she was blocked by another telepath.?

?Erik, what did you do?? Charles asked, his tone weary both from exhaustion and from the never ending battle to keep his friend in check.

?We knew someone in the government was responsible for this Sentinel project. When the freshman Congressman shows up out of nowhere, it?s a bit suspicious Charles.?

?So you had your team tracking Kelly?? Hank inquired, a bit of anger creeping into his voice, ?Why didn?t you inform Charles? Surely with Cerebro he could have helped.?

?I had planned to Hank. But when Charles connected to Jean and reacted the way he did, I thought it best not to stress him any further than necessary. And Emma is a very capable telepath in her own right.?

?Nevertheless, Erik you should have told me.? Charles replied, stifling another yawn. He suddenly felt very weak.

?It was vital that you were focused on the others? Erik replied, ?Surely you can feel the power they possess. With their abilities on our side, we can shut this project do