main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    so it seems New Mutants was just a recut and they never did additional shooting? Just cuz Dark Phoenix bombed? and they take mutants out of it? C'mon now!

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jake Gyllenhaal [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ends on an optimistic note of let us remember the good times with a shot of Logan and Logan is dang amazing so yah.

In their 50s for the main characters is a pretty great point, though.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Question for those who've seen Dark Phoenix
    I mean seriously though, aliens? Why would they shift to some extraterrestrial forces when none of the previous movies, going back to the original in 2000, had ever included it? It just seemed out of place. Yeah, maybe they wanted to somehow connect it to the more popular MCU franchises *cough* GOTG *cough* but they just tried too hard.

I'm just glad I went with my instinct earlier in the year and didn't waste my money on a cinema ticket.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Dark Phoenix story in the comics is very alien-centric, They tried here. I mean, I kinda dig Jessica Chastain even though she is steadfastly monotone. But Alien splatter in the finale makes the aliens worth it.

7. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    As noted above, the movie was made to follow the comics story more closely then what would be a better fit for this series (which, to be fair, the Fox movie series' continuity was broken a long time ago). Didn't hate the movie, but I agree that the aliens were an ill-fit for this iteration; say what you will about X3, but at least it knew to mold the story to fit the world it was set in.)

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm just wondering now what's next. It sounds as though they're absolutely done with this entire crop/saga of X-men live actions movies that began in 2000. It's up in the air if/when the "New Mutants" film will ever see the light of day. Is there a possibility that they'll completely reboot the entire franchise to make it more compatible with the rest of the MCU? If that's the case, I trust the kind people in this group will let me know how that goes when they watch it in the theaters. I'll hold off until they're at Redbox.

This guy had a pretty good (IMO) take on the X-men timeline; of which I'm still scratching my head over.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's not just a possibilty it's a certainty. Other than Deadpool it's all going to be rebooted for the MCU. And we're still not entirely sure how Deadpool is gonna work. It could just be it's own thing for now.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Eh whatever at this point. No use protesting. I have the original X-men trilogy on DVD. Have Days of Future Past on digital; and might get Logan and First Class as well. I'm satisfied with how it was, for the most part.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm fine with the Singer-verse/Kinberg-verse of the X-Men finally coming to an end. It was faulty to begin with and wasn't laid out the way the MCU was. Moreover, the FoX-Men told pretty much the greatest stories of the X-Men and I don't need them to make a third attempt at the Dark Phoenix saga.

I'm looking forward to the reboot, as I am a MCU reboot of the Fantastic Four.

As far as New Mutants, no one really knows. There's been speculation, reports and rumors of its pending theatrical release and ultimate demise. The film is in limbo and falls under the discretion of Kevin Feige now, and like the Cylons in the rebooted Battlestar Galactica, Feige has a plan. So, some feel by his recent comments at SDCC about folding mutants (not X-Men) into the MCU is a reference to the New Mutants, which have been discussed earlier where some jokingly said the film should just be called "Mutants." Others feels like the WandaVision streaming show and Doctor Strange 2: Multiverse of Madness may plant the seeds/lay the ground work for mutants to be introduced into the MCU. I've seen some click bait headlines in my social media that say as much, but I have not read any of them.

If New Mutants gets a theatrical release, I would think it would be part of the MCU since it's under Kevin Feige. As such, if it does not get a theatrical release, I think it will be released on Hulu. I just hope we get to see it.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    If WandaVision plants any seeds for mutants in the MCU I suspect it'll be revealing Wanda's mutant origin. I don't think it'll get anymore deeper than that. It would be a nice surprise if Magneto showed up and went all "I am your father..." but that's a longshot. :p

13. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    But who should play Magneto in that instance?

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That's a tough one given the character's connection to the holocaust. I don't see them casting someone in that age range because they likely want whoever ends up playing him to be around for at least ten years. I could see them casting someone a little younger and aging them up a bit to make it look at least somewhat plausible. I really like Viggo Mortensen for the role.

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The two do sound very similar. It's like Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby and Bowie's/Queen's Under Pressure.

17. ManMDC6691

ManMDC6691 Jedi Padawan

Nov 15, 2019
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I just assume that the FoX-Men films would end up on Hulu because of the R-Rated films like Logan and Deadpool 1 & 2. But, it wouldn't surprise if some of the FoX-Men films made it onto Disney+ since the 90s animated series of the X-Men is there.

I've been watching some YouTube videos discussing the 90's X-Men Animated Series and they mention that many of the episodes aired out of order. I don't recall seeing any of the story arcs out of order (i.e. The Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Saga). I did watch the first episode of the Phoenix Saga on Disney+ and I believe all the episodes are in the correct order.

I did pick up Dark Phoenix on blu ray on Black Friday for $9. I really enjoyed that movie.

PCCViking likes this.
  19. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Nice. Wish I could've gotten it for that, since I'd like a copy, but not enough to want to pay full price.

20. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I ran this by my friend who has studied stuff like this intensely and is finishing his doctorate. He says basically the guy has no case. Essentially they have a passing resemblance but so does a lot of pieces in that area:

“Those harmonies are common throughout a lot of action/spy genre kind of things. That lowered sixth degree and chromaticism is everywhere in Mozart too. But the part that’s the same is about one beat.”

He went further into the nitty gritty, but yeah good luck with this one. It sounds like one good expert in the field can unravel this argument. And it’s not like all the people he is suing aren’t capable of producing one good expert.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I don't know if the lawsuit regarding the X-Men theme song will be so easily dismissed. I mean, the lawsuit against Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven has been in litigation for years due to appeals and what not. Unless both sides of the X-Men theme song lawsuit come to a settlement, the could go on for years as well. The person suing has filed against Disney, Apple, Amazon, etc., companies with deep pockets and armies worth of lawyers.

22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I finally had the time to watch Dark Phoenix and still cannot believe what I saw.
    For me that was by far the worst movie this year.
    I really tried hard finding something I liked in this one but there is simply nothing. :oops:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  23. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Well the OST was nice :p

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [face_plain]

TheAdmiral likes this.
  25. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Good music and I'd argue certain actors did their best with what they were given. Last scene also works a coda for the Fox series, IMHO (in a meta sense only).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.