main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I agree with everything he said.

Anyhow, I'll likely be seeing Dark Phoenix just for the closure of the franchise and characters I've been following since 2000. Beyond that, nothing new on neither the Marvel nor DC side interests me. I'll be taking a long hiatus from superhero movies.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I believe Mangold wasn't so much attached to the Boba Fett film as he was rumored to have become involved. A rumor made more believable by his association with Kinberg, who produced Mangold's Wolverine titles and is the producer on Fett (and some say was the biggest driver in Lucasfilm deciding to make the movie in the first place). With all of the question marks hanging over additional anthology movies going forward at all it's far from certain that Mangold will ever get the chance to direct it. How Kinberg does with XMDP could well become an additional factor in that. I actually think it's a long shot at this point.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Ya know, if Mangold directs a Boba Fett flick, I'll still most likely end up seeing it. Mangold just seems like a jerk for pissing the hand that feeds him.

As for Dark Phoenix, I like the young class of X-Men that's featured in the film. They were the reason why I like Apocalypse so much, as they weren't always depicted as moody and had some personality. The kid that played Nightcrawler is so cute. The thing I didn't like about the trailer is Charles is being blamed for the mishappenings. It looks like Charles, like in X3, set up mental blocks in Jean's head to prevent the Phoenix from emerging. Additionally, this film seems to be just another morose X-Men feature, with a funeral, a character breaking bad and probably a not so happy ending. However, I do like the Frank Quitely/Grant Morrison New X-Men inspired costumes.

There's a thing that always bugged me about Singer's first two X-Men films, and that was they never really was a scene like this:

[​IMG]

The best the X-Men got of something like this, doesn't happen until the Last Stand where Wolverine says, "Hold this line."

Hopefully, in Dark Phoenix, Chuck will say the line, "To me, my X-Men" and then we get a shot like this...

[​IMG]

The X-Men deserve an iconic shot before the franchise says bye, bye. Too bad that Deadpool beat the X-Men franchise to the punch.

[​IMG]

As for The Gifted, after the first episode of season two, the show has slowed down quite a bit as they're doing alot of setup and foreshadowing but not a whole lot of narrative movement as it's not really clear what the plans are of the Inner Circle and the Mutant Underground is kind of sputtering on how to proceed without Polaris and Andy. I'm not sure how many episodes there will be in season two, but it appears to more than season one because of the narrative inching forward episode by episode.

Jedi Merkurian and Gamiel like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it's 12 or 13 eps like last season and Fox'll probably run it straight through because they have, like, 4 shows set up for midseason order. I do like how we get more of the Stepford Cuckoos this season and the 2nd ep even started to show divisions from one of them than the other two, the one who was on the "outside" more than the imprisoned ones.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Good. I don't want The Gifted to be stretched out to a 22 - 24 episode season. I'd rather keep it to 8-10 episodes.

I just hope the show doesn't dangle that carrot of the mystery surround the event that took place on July 15th for the duration of the show. If so, I would prefer it not be referenced anymore. And I do wonder if Polaris will ever find out the true identity of her father. I suspect she will before the end of this season.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Seems so but I find it surprised that Jean seems to threat that as a bad thing since she was so afraid of her powers and lacked any real control of them in AoA. As she was in that she felt like somebody that would be happy to only be able to tap in some of her powers, at least until she got some more control.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The real question is which stock photo / footage of Magneto do they use, Fassbender or McKellen? Or just have someone say it and a blurry photo of Mags mask.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    X-Men First Class is on cable (Showcase in Canada on free preview!) and I was just going to watch a bit and then go but it's so damn good I watchin' it all . "More tea, Viccar?"

I know there is supposed to be Marvel cinematic universe and everything but t'hell with it can we just get a Magneto Nazi Hunter Quadrilogy instead?

Also while it's a mite unbelievable that Mags and Prof X would bail after only one "Go &$## yourself!" from Logan it's way awesome they totally bail after that.

I'm hyped for Dark Phoenix mostly cuz First Class and Days of Future Past are so damn great. I can give em a Mulligan on Apocalypse

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So outta the 11 X-Men Fox movie series, that is basically going to be wiped from existence when Disney takes over, there are probably 5ish films that could count as "Endings" - X-Men: First Class ("I prefer Magneto"), X-Men: Days of Future Past (Logan wakes up in happy future), Deadpool 2 (Wade "Just cleaning up the timelines!"), X2 (Phoenix, goddamnit!), Logan (freakin' Logan final scene!!)

10. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Wiped from existence? Pretty sure the old ones will still be around afterwards..

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Nah, Thanos's snap ensures that half of them will be wiped away. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "Victor Creed.... 'Harry Potter'?"

PCCViking likes this.
  13. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Today is the Norwegian premiere of The Gifted season 2, ten minutes from now. [face_dancing] Apparently, we're three weeks behind your schedule.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, you might be only a week or two behind after next week because the show will not air a new episode in the U.S. due to the baseball World Series.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ep 4 of The Gifted aired this week (haven't seen it yet but there was some interesting baby mutant stuff in ep 3), looks like MLB is taking it out next week but back Oct 30th.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Haven't started Gifted S2 yet but did finally finish Legion S2. Man, I just cannot imagine the level of work that goes into not just filming the show but scripting the story around the visual metaphors (and general visual craziness) while passing it between different directors.

Really good season and an improvement over the first. It felt less familiar (S1 still had a vague "different version of the X-Men" vibe going) and with a more straight forward plot thread of finding the body (compared to S1, where you spent half (or more) of the season not really having an idea of what was going on or where it was going since it leaned into the insane asylum lens much more heavily).

It's not perfect- Melanie was a complete waste this season, but she wasn't a favorite to begin with. And that allowed more time to spend with the other supporting characters and give them some interesting plots (Plaza in particular, as well as Cary/Kerry).

And, of course, that amazing opening battle/music video to the season finale!

This is everything.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Legion is officially now about 25% a musical and I am totally okay with that.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Especially when they make selections that make you think that they may have based the entire season's story on the lyrics.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The latest episode of The Gifted had my jaw dropped to the floor. :eek:

And from EW:

Stan Lee does not have a cameo in next X-Men film Dark Phoenix

I'm sure there will be some dedication or in memoriam to Stan Lee in Dark Phoenix.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah if you're talking about the ending of the ep a few days ago, holy cats! Great usage of suggestive horror where you don't see everything just a very important piece of it. Horror is totally a piece of the X-Men toolbox, just look at Legion so the ending of the episode was aces.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  21. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I think Stan Lee was only in a couple of the X-Men movies themselves: X-Men, and X-Men: Apocalypse (as part of a married couple watching the launch of the nukes).

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Deadpool had one of his best cameos and they got a big honkin picture of him in Deadpool 2. And he walks out the bar on The Gifted!

PCCViking likes this.
  23. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Let's see:

He was a hot dog vendor in X1 during the beach scene (this was before having Lee's cameos be a bit of a joke or a point onto themselves was a thing, so he's just an extra and hard to see).

He was a guy with a garden hose in the prologue of X3 when little Jean makes the world go wonky.

He and his now-late wife were some of the people watching Apocalypse launch the nukes in Apocalypse (as noted above).

I haven't seen the Deadpool movies, but I'll take your word for it.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I forgot about X-Men 3, but maybe that's a good thing. :p

25. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    It was admittedly not his most memorable role.

BigAl6ft6 and PCCViking like this.