main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    It's another reason why you make a movie (and make it well) like Black Panther in the first place; talented actors and actresses clamoring to join your franchise.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

Captain Marvel started out as Mar-Vell, a Kree soldier who is sent to spy on the humans, after the Kree's first encounter with the Fantastic Four. He becomes a hero and is soon branded a traitor by the Kree Empire. He is subsequent trapped in the Negative Zone, but the Supreme Intelligence is able to get Rick Jones to find a pair of Kree Nega Bands that allows Rick to trade places with Mar-Vell for three hours at a time, so that the latter can still be a hero on Earth. An exposure to the Compound 13 nerve gas has affected his immune system and caused him to develop cancer, which due to the time in the Negative Zone, is resistant to Earth treatments. The Kree refuse to help him and Mar-Vell eventually dies.

[​IMG]

Monica Rambeau was a harbor patrol officer who was exposed to extra dimensional energy which gave her powers. She joins the Avengers after seeking their help in figuring out what happened and takes the name Captain Marvel, shortly after his death. She worked with Steve and Janet and would go on to become team leader for a time, but had to step down after using up a lot of her power trying to defeat Namor's wife, who had been turned into a Leviathan. In time, she recovered her powers and resumed work as a hero. She eventually conceded the name to Genis-Vell, and changed her name to Photon. Later changing it again to Pulsar and currently, Spectrum.

[​IMG]

Genis-Vell is the son of Mar-Vell and Elysius, the latter being a Titan who uses Mar-Vell's DNA to impregnate herself and gives birth Genis-Vell. She sends Genis-Vell to live on a distant world, where he is rapidly aged and given false memories, painting him as the son of Starfox. The Silver Surfer encounters Genis-Vell and he soon becomes a hero. During the "Destiny War", Rick Jones is about to die and is saved by wearing the Nega Bands, which forces Genis-Vell to become bonded with Rick, thanks to a future version of Genis-Vell who had to close the paradox loop that lead to this. Unfortunately, he gains the Cosmic Awareness which drives him insane and he destroys the Multiverse, before it was quickly restored.

[​IMG]

As a result though, he soon encounters his sister Phyla-Vell, who helps him to regain his sanity. Phyla-Vell tries to claim the Captain Marvel name, but is denied this by her brother. She later becomes the new Qusar, before changing her name to Martyr. She entered a relationship with Moondragon of the Thunderbolts, prior to the Annihilation War. Her brother joined the Thunderbolts after being separated from Rick Jones, but in an effort to recover from injuries inflicted by a mind controlled Atlas, Geni-Vell is given massive amounts of energy by Baron Zemo, which will cause the destruction of the universe. After failing to prevent this on his own, Zemo captures Genis and uses Blackout's Darkforce and the moonstones which had been used to give Genis his powers, in order to divide him up into pieces and spread them out across the Darkforce dimension. Phyla would work with the Guardians of the Galaxy, before dying to save her teammates.

[​IMG]

Noh-Varr becomes the next Captain Marvel, after a stint as Marvel Boy. He was an ensign aboard the Marvel, a Kree ship that traveled the Multiverse and is drawn to Earth-616, where he gains Cosmic Powers. He battles Doctor Midas, who had wanted the powers for himself and then tried to kill Noh-Varr over it. He later encounters the Illuminati, who explains the legacy of the Marvels. Shortly after, he is brainwashed by Maria Hill and sent after the Runaways. He later takes on the identity of Captain Marvel during "Secret Invasion" when a Skrull posing as Mar-Vell dies in his arms and prompts him to pick a side in the conflict. Norman Osborn has taken over as director of S.H.I.E.L.D. and manipulates him into being a public figure. Carol Danvers confronts Noh-Varr after the South Carolina branch of the Chruch of Hala commits mass suicide following his taking on the Captain Marvel name. When he learns that the Avengers team that Osborn has formed and placed Noh-Varr as a member are all villains, he quits and goes on the run. He later changes his name and costume, becoming the Protector.

[​IMG]

Carol Danvers had operated for years as Ms. Marvel and worked with the Avengers. She later lost her powers and was placed in a coma, when Rogue's powers went out of control and she was unable to break the connection with Carol, resulting in Rogue gaining Carol's powers and her memories, which becomes trapped in her head. Xavier was able to separate the two, but it would be years before Carol would regain her powers, while Rogue's continued use of those powers eventually faded. She becomes Binary thanks to the Brood, which results in her becoming linked to the power from a white hole, which allows her to generate powers akin to a star. She loses her newfound powers and takes on the identity of Warbird. After a stint where she uses her old Ms. Marvel codename, she eventually takes on the Captain Marvel name, while Kamala Khan becomes the new Ms. Marvel.

Gamiel, soitscometothis and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, but the people that missed out on that in the comic book may have caught that bit on the X-Men animated series.

[​IMG]

But, if it were like Avengers Annual #10, that would be awesome because Rogue beats down the Avengers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup. And they've met each other. Here's their first meeting...
    [​IMG]

But, CT was probably referring to that specific point in time in the comic books when Carol did go by Ms. Marvel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  4. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017

That title ... I think that outdoes Ranger Solo for the wut?'s

But that would be pretty good, considering it only made about $6M domestic.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Haven't heard any news on the New Mutants film, so I'm guessing that's still happening?

6. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    There's a new rumor circulating that it will go to Hulu but it's just that, a rumor, and not what I would consider a well-sourced one.

But as far as I know they haven't even started the reshoots yet. With an August release and supposedly reshooting for even more of a lower budget horror movie vibe there's still time but ... that clock, she's ticking.

Edit: Possible reason for the lack of movement so far on the reshoots:

That would be a complete contradiction to the earlier rumors that the reshoots were to let Boone make it even more of the kind of movie he wanted.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002

Now I am excited for this movie!

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Remember when they were going to make a trilogy out of that storyline to make up for The Last Stand? It's so nice to see that, 13 years later, nothing has changed :)

9. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Whether it's good or bad I'm just looking forward to it providing some clarity on the abilities of Simon Kinberg. The guy must talk a really good game to executives because he's been involved in various roles with all sorts of things over the years that run the full spectrum from good to garbage. To the point that it's hard to decipher just how competent his is. But Dark Phoenix is all his baby. There will be no hiding it, for good or ill.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    One of the best things about X-Men returning home is we no longer have to worry about Kinberg screwing everything up! [face_party]

11. history3400

history3400 Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2019
    So … Dark Phoenix clearly the end for the main X-line; New Mutants probably coming out but looking likely to be a one-off; only the Deadpool strand continuing (maybe?) once all the ink's dry on the WDP-FX deal. Is that right?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  12. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Too bad regarding the rumors that Dark Phoenix didn't turn out very well; given that it's probably going to be the last hurrah of the X-Men movie series before a Marvel Studios reboot (baring the New Mutants project and all that), it would've been nice to see them go out on a high note (also not looking forward to the arguments we fans'll probably be getting into). Maybe it'll surprise us yet, though.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I quite dug the Dark Phoenix trailers we've seen so far. and didn't some "test screening sources" say that Deadpool 2 was a disaster and that movie is freakin' awesome.

14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm looking forward to Dark Phoenix and avoid reading the critics. They said Apocalypse and Wolverine are bad and finally I enjoyed both of them. The only issue I have is that I find Sophia Turner being a total miscast for Jean Grey. She is even less Famke Janssen than Alden Ehrenreich compared to Ford. Having now her being more or less the main character makes me worry a bit.

15. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Which Wolverine are you talking about here? Only the first one was broadly panned by critics and Logan was widely adored by them. Even the second one was liked more than disliked by critics.

16. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    The panned one. Went in without expectations

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    From the trailer it certainly doesn't seem like she's the main character. It looks like the Charles and Erik show again. She's just what they happen to be fighting over this time. :rolleyes:

Darth Smurf likes this.
  18. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes. For me it was clear that she will be the next villain when I saw the black eyes in Apocalypse. To explain her black eyes from the old trilogy was cool, to re-do that stuff again is a bit lame

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, the intent was to do a better job. Why it's gone this route with the story is the issue. Not to mention letting someone direct who hasn't really directed.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Who was also one of the two writers for Last Stand ... and is the lone screenwriter on this one.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Kinberg isn't that bad a writer, but he does need a filter for his ideas.

22. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    As writer, director, and producer this will be the least filter he's ever had.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I sat in on the Days of Future Past panel at the 2014 WonderCon, where Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg were to be the featured speakers, but Singer dropped out because of serious sexual criminal accusations. And I remember hearing Kinberg lamenting on the quality of X-3: The Last Stand and hoping they could set things right, which always meant to me that he wanted another shot at the Dark Phoenix story.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    A lot of people thought that. It's just weird with the mismanagement. In 1991, Joss Whedon couldn't direct "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", because he had no directing experience. In 2017, Simon Kinberg was given the okay to direct "Dark Phoenix". And this is the same studio. I know there's different studio heads and all, but what the hell?

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think that Kinberg did the reshoots for Fantastic Four so I guess Fox is okay with that inasmuch that he did it on time without the big existential freak out that the other guy had.

Anyway, I actually like more of Kinberg than most, Days of Future Past is absolute total aces, it's so good that I'm willing to shrug off the meh Apocalypse. And Kinberg has writing credits on some of the best episodes of Star Wars Rebels - Siege of Lothal and Twilight of the Apprentice.

Anyway with the Disney purchase there was no way the Fox continuity was going to continue so either if the movie is great or terrible, this is the last shot so hopefully they don't leave things hanging. Also it turns out we got a full Decade by Decade of X-universe history First Class in the 1960s to 2020, give or minus an alternate timeline, to it's ending in Logan. Not a bad run for a fictional universe and it only needed one continuity reboot!

I still think we're getting more Deadpool movies with that crew but it's Deadpool, he literally shoots continuity in it's head.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019