main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MINIS X-Wing mini vs. The Card Game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Unkar's Muffins, May 2, 2016.

1. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    I'm going to cross post in MINI and CARDS and hope that both kinds of players can chime in.

I've never played card or mini games before, but my teen daughter is interested in either the card game or the X-Wing mini game. She liked the cute and well crafted little miniatures of the X-Wing game, but the Card Game was about half the price at game store.

I really have no idea how these games are played, or if card games are "better" or vice versa. It looks to melike the card game has been around a long time, but I'm not sure if they are continuing to expand it or if it is now a "dead" game. I also noticed there apparently was no content from the prequel trilogy or TFA (maybe the store just did not have it?).

What are your thoughts on the Card Game vs. the X-Wing mini? Regarding complexity, expansion, learning curve, general fun, portability, costs over time, etc...

2. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Wow, kinda surprising. No card or mini gamers have anything to say?

3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I have (and love) the X-wing miniatures game. It's a great game, but quite expensive (I believe both games are) with expansions that both enhance and extend the gameplay. It's only a few years old now but features so many expansions it can be a little overwhelming to get into. Included with the models are pilot cards and upgrade cards, the latter of which can be used with other ships so there is lots of variety and a squad-building aspect where you can put different ships with different pilots together in a squad with a set point cost. You can experiment with what works and what doesn't but also have fun. That said, they have come out with a new core set for TFA, and that can be supplemented quite handily in the near future with the Heroes of the Resistance set (TFA Falcon and Poe's x-wing).

With regards to the rules, FFG have a great tutorial video series on youtube that explains the basics. It's easy to learn.

The cards I know very little about. I'm not sure which you're talking about, but the Fantasy Flight Games (FGG) card game is going strong and has regular updates throughout the year. Check out their official website.

4. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    I'm really interested in getting into the minis game, but it's just too dang expensive for me right now and I don't make a whole lot of money...but, some day I will...it seems really fun...I used to play the old Decipher and WotC card games and I loved those...I would love to get back into tabletop gaming again....

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    X-Wing minis game for sure.

or... Imperial Assault?