main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends X-Wing: Rogue Diplomacy - Complete 5/20 (Sequel to Genesis. Syal, Tycho, Wes, Hobbie, Doran, Rogues)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lane_Winree, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    Introduction and Dramatis Personae

Title: X-Wing: Rogue Diplomacy
    Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Angst, Political Conspiracy
    Rating: PG
    Timeframe: 43-44 ABY, During FotJ
    Characters: Syal Antilles, Tycho Celchu, Wes Janson, Hobbie Klivian, Doran Tainer, Rogues, OCs
    Disclaimer: I don't own Star Wars. Plots and characters belong to George Lucas, Tim Zahn, Mike Stackpole, Aaron Allston, and the rest of the EU writing fleet.
    Summary: Violence on the slave trading world of Orvax IV spreads like fire. With the Alliance on edge of full-blown rebellion on numerous Outer Rim worlds, Chief of State Natasi Daala coerces retired General Tycho Celchu into traveling to the system in an effort to find a solution to the slave revolt before it can spread to other worlds. Tycho enlists the aid of Syal Antilles and Rogue Squadron, but they soon find themselves torn between their personal ethics and their responsibilities to the Alliance. Meanwhile in the shadows, Moff Nyla Kaartinen engages in a deadly plot to insert herself into Alliance affairs.

Author Notes:

Rogue Diplomacy is the sequel to my last longfic, X-Wing: Genesis of a Rogue and is the second entry in a planned trilogy. Like that tale, RD centers around the adventures and trials of Syal Antilles, daughter of the illustrious Wedge Antilles. As I try to do with all of my longfics, Rogue Diplomacy can be read as a standalone entry. If you wish to read Genesis first, you are more than welcome to (and that would absolutely make my day :D ) but if you want to jump straight into this story, you can!

This fic is set in late 43 to early 44 ABY, during the Fate of the Jedi novels. Furthermore, Rogue Diplomacy is canon compliant. Currently, seventeen of the planned twenty-two posts are finished, meaning I've got a solid buffer to post without interruptions. Starting today, a new chapter will go up every Tuesday. Once I'm done writing the remaining chapters, updates will occur every Tuesday and Thursday (I'll give everyone a heads-up when that happens).

As always, if you're interested in tracking my progress or just peering into my strange, fandom addled brain, feel free to hit me up on my Livejournal or on my Twitter.

If you're interested in getting a weekly reminder PM for updates, let me know!

PM List
    -------
    Hazel
    earlybird-obi-wan
    Katana_Sundancer
    SWPants666
    PRINCESSCAMBRIA
    InsaneIsta

~*~

X-Wing: Rogue Diplomacy

Dramatis Personae

With the Rogues:
    Major Syal Antilles (Rogue One)(Human female from Corellia)(Rogue Squadron CO)
    Commander Quint Staven (Rogue Two)(Human Male from Baroli)(Rogue Squadron XO)
    Captain Haruko Skobra(Rogue Three)(Human female from Coruscant)
    Captain Ryann Anthek(Rogue Four)(Human male from Danteel)
    Captain Ryomir Versai (Rogue Five)(Human female from Kessel)
    Captain Rixar Dain(Rogue Six)(Human Male from Dantooine)
    Captain Diona Katar(Rogue Seven)(Human Female from Raltiir)
    Lieutenant Kessila Zorvan (Rogue Eight)(Human female from Nar Shaddaa)
    Lieutenant Jamee Farlander (Rogue Nine)(Human female from Tatooine)
    Lieutenant Telon Salan (Rogue Ten)(Human male from Contruum)
    Lieutenant Kellin Maru(Rogue Eleven)(Human male from Iattu IV)
    Flight Officer Zhane Nezuma (Rogue Twelve)(Human male from Barolis)

With the Galactic Alliance diplomatic corps:
    Colonel Tycho Celchu ret. (Human Male from Alderaan)
    Major Derek ?Hobbie? Klivian ret.(Human male from Raltiir)
    Major Wes Janson ret.(Human male from Tanaab)

With the Smuggler?s Network:
    Vikan ?Vik? Kelrune (Human male from Kessel)(Captain of the Wayfarer)

With the Jedi Order:
    Doran Tainer (Jedi Knight)(Human male from Toprawa)

With the Galactic Alliance:
    Natasi Daala (Chief of State)
    Wynn Dorvan

With the Imperial Remnant:
    Moff Nyla Kaartinen (Human female from Bastion)

With the local Orvax IV gove

2. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Prologue
    Orvax IV System

It was truly disgusting.

All around Rainee Shayal were the sights and sounds of a marketplace that had little interest in upholding established Galactic Alliance laws. To her right she could see illegal spice being sold in the open. Admittedly, part of her was tempted to stroll over and drop a few credchits for a vial of Glitterstim and Andris. It had been months since her last hit and though she had largely gotten over the withdrawal symptoms she still craved the neurological effects of the drug. She frowned as she forced herself to look forward again. If her superiors found out that she had done spice while on the job they would be livid.

She put her head on a swivel once more to mentally take notes of the marketplace. In one direction were a pair of Twi'lek girls who couldn't have been older than eighteen standard years. They were clad in the barest of clothing, looking terrified as the heavyset human behind them touted the humiliating acts the frightened girls were supposedly capable of. It took everything in Rainee's power to keep from marching towards the man and embedding her fist in his skull.

Of course, that wasn't how her new employer operated.

Little was known about the mysterious Freedom Flight. Even Rainee didn't have all the details, as she was just a forward scout buried at the bottom of the chain of command. All she knew was they went to great efforts to help individuals like the two Twi'lek girls. Her job was to merely observe and report. Agents with more field experience would do the actual extraction work. She marked down the location on her datapad and continued her slow walk down the main corridor of the market.

Just as she was considering turning around to purchase some spice she was knocked to the ground by an unknown assailant, jarring her datapad and shoulderbag out of her grasp. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a man in a cloak scurrying to his feet before running away from her.

"Hey!" Rainee shouted as she sat up. "Watch where you're going!"

She flashed the fleeing man a rather unflattering gesture before picking up her scatted items and pressing forward once more. She mentally wrote down yet another reason to despise Orvax IV. It wasn't enough that it was the largest cesspool of decay and filth this side of Mos Eisley. No, those who dwelled on the planet had to go out of their way to make her life miserable. She rubbed her aching shoulder and looked behind her for a moment to glare at the man who had long since vanished.

Idly she realized she was in another bitter mood. When Rainee joined Freedom Flight she had dreams of bursting into places like this with blasters firing in both hands. Instead she was only allowed to scout for easy targets to relay back to her superiors. In her mind it was too complicated. Fire a few warning shots into the air, march in, free the slaves, and enjoy the media attention afterwards. Rainee was beginning to wonder if the organization was more concerned about sticking to an antiquated set of ideals rather than the more important task.

She wanted to do the right thing. Growing up on Tatooine she had seen more than her fair share of slavery pass through the spaceports. Precious little riled her more than to see a Hutt slinking around with an unfortunate pleasure slave in tow. She had become a member of Freedom Flight to put an end to all that, but instead she was told to make observations and trust that those above her would act on them. It was a system that was entirely to passive for her tastes.

She felt her comlink vibrate in her pocket. Groaning, she fished it out and thumbed it on. "This is Eleven."

"Eleven this is Flight Lead," a male voice replied. "You're twenty minutes late on your status report."

Rainee rolled her eyes. All of these flightstick jockey terms were getting under her skin. "Fifteen potential targets acquired. Seven of them should be relatively easy."

"Acknowledged, Eleven. You've got thirty minutes to report back to Ops."

She smiled to herself. That was enoug

3. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter One - Inaction
    Coruscant - Late 43 ABY

"Late breaking news from Orvax IV is just trickling in through the holonet," a female voice said over the repulsorlift's speakers. "An explosion rocked the capitol city's market district approximately thirty standard minutes ago, leveling three blocks worth of buildings. Initial estimates suggest that four hundred were killed by the blast, though we are waiting to hear official numbers.

"Orvax IV President Jarol Cridmeen denounced the attack and held the illusive Freedom Flight responsible. We have approached the State Department for comment but have not been issued a response."

Syal Antilles tapped her foot impatiently against the repulsorlift floor as she waited to arrive at her destination. She barely acknowledged the news being broadcast over the speakers. Her mind, understandably, was occupied elsewhere. Frowning to herself, she looked at the datapad and her hand once more. The directions couldn't have been right. She was heading towards what appeared to be the administrative offices of a Galactic Alliance Security blockhouse.

At least that's what she assumed. The building, while in plain sight, did not appear on any of the city registries. As far as Syal could tell, it wasn't supposed to exist. She had been forced to pull rank and flash her Starfighter Command credentials just to get past the guards on the ground level. Just what she needed, a trip towards some sort of secret Alliance facility. She scrolled to the bottom of the message on her datapad.

Just trust me on this one. When you get there, try not to do anything too stupid.
    ~Gamma Prime

"Frelling hell, Dap," She cursed under her breath as she powered the datapad off. "Some information network."

She sighed. Her mind still couldn't quite wrap around the absurdity of the situation. Here she was, travelling to a detention facility to visit two of her childhood friends. How had this happened? Weeks earlier she had idly been watching the news at her desk, only to be stunned by the image of Valin Horn being chased through the skies of Coruscant by local authorities. In the aftermath it was said that he had snapped. The Order were calling his affliction Force Psychosis but the media wasn't nearly as gentle. They accused Valin of having gone barvy mad.

Syal was still reeling from that news when word got out that Valin's younger sister had come down with the same affliction. They were both encased in carbonite and were transferred to the correctional facility for storage. Her skin crawled. How dare the Alliance treat her friends like this? They were ill and needed medical attention. Instead they were frozen and locked away like common criminals.

Once more, she asked herself how all of this had happened. It hadn't been that long ago she and Valin had been playing with toy blasters and model X-Wings. Yet, here they were. Syal was flying military machines for the Galactic Alliance and Valin had gone off to become a Jedi like his father and grandfather before him. This wasn't at all where she had pictured themselves being all those years ago. It was nothing short of surreal.

The repulsorlift finally came to a stop and a bell rang as the door opened. A recorded voice told her that she had arrived at the administrative offices of the facility. Syal stepped out and slowly looked around, groaning as she realized that her directions had been wrong. There was nothing out of the ordinary. To her left a series of desks and offices. To her right were doors to various supply rooms and ahead of her was a large aquarium. As near as she could tell, nothing was out of place.

Then she looked up.

The first thing she felt was an overwhelming sense of disbelief. That quickly gave way to fiery rage. There hanging above the aquarium were Valin and Jysella, encased in carbonite and on display for all to see. Their mouths were agape. No doubt they had been screaming in horror as the instant freezing process had started on them. Their hands seemed to be reaching out for something, anything, that mig

4. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi, Lane!

This ties in to your Syal Antilles diary?

Anyway, very good start =D= - I really have to go read Genesis of a Rogue.

Since this is not going to have updates every day, could you add me to the PM list?

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Zorvan:) is in it and Syal and the rogues. Nice start and following and reading your other fics:)

PM please[face_dancing]

6. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Wow Lane! Great start!

OMG, poor Rainee!

I'm really glad you had Syal go see Valin and Jy. Very nice touch.

Good scene with Sy and Doran; sweet and moving. Her rant was great too. And Myri's RBW, ha!

Oh Sy! Don't push Doran away, okay? Ask your mama how that worked out for her.

Excellent Lane, as usual! PM, pretty please with an X-wing on top? :D

:>¤<:

7. Nymue

Nymue Jedi Master

Jun 28, 2007
    Oh, Lane, I remember when you posted the excerpt of this first chapter --- if anything it's more heart-wrenching this time around. Poor, poor Syal, that's a lot of stress for one day, even for Rogue Leader.

It was truly disgusting.

The underbelly of society always is ... *sigh*

When Rainee joined Freedom Flight she had dreams of bursting into places like this with blasters firing in both hands. Instead she was only allowed to scout for easy targets to relay back to her superiors.

Ouch! *winces* Talk about a hard job. Got to have intel, though.

She wanted to do the right thing. Growing up on Tatooine she had seen more than her fair share of slavery pass through the spaceports. Precious little riled her more than to see a Hutt slinking around with an unfortunate pleasure slave in tow. She had become a member of Freedom Flight to put an end to all that, but instead she was told to make observations and trust that those above her would act on them.

See, this is why I love you. [face_love] You have this wonderful ability to create characters that we can easily identify with, and that are well formed enough *to be* characters we care about. That's a gift, and thank goodness you use it wisely!

She felt her comlink vibrate in her pocket. Groaning, she fished it out and thumbed it on. "This is Eleven."

"Eleven this is Flight Lead," a male voice replied. "You're twenty minutes late on your status report."

Rainee rolled her eyes. All of these flightstick jockey terms were getting under her skin.

*snort* Really? Could never guess!

Though, that does make wonder about these guys. [face_thinking] Not quite the way profic has written FF ... though this could be a change for the better, all things considered.

... she waited for her drink. It arrived in a glass that looked nearly as filthy as the rest of the cantina. She stared at it for a few moments before deciding that she simply couldn't be bothered to care.

*ponders* How thirsty do you have to be, or how in need of some kind of "hit" to drink from a glass that filthy?

Me, I'd've of kept on walkin'.

Rolling her eyes she picked her brown bag up from off the floor and set on the bar. Rainee paused as she reached to open it. This wasn't her bag.

I wondered about that ... Not losing anything seemed too easy.

Rainee's jaw dropped and a brief scream escaped. A fraction of a second later she felt an intense flash of pain.

Then nothing.

And this is why I hate you. And Joss, for that matter. You give us an interesting character, allow us to like her, worry about her, and then ...

Then you kill her off! :_|[face_shame_on_you]

At least you didn't give her billing up top, so you're not quite up to Joss' level.

Yet.

The air was suddenly filled with the sounds of a tremendous explosion. Flames and shrapnel burst out from the cantina and expanding outward at an impressive rate. No doubt the countless slavers and one innocent girl within it were killed instantly. He set down the macrobincoulars and retrieved the comlink from his cloak.

"Package delivered successfully," the man said. "That should grab the media's attention in a hurry."

Evil Imps!

(I KNEW something was up!)

The building, while in plain sight, did not appear on any of the city registries. As far as Syal could tell, it wasn't supposed to exist. She had been forced to pull rank and flash her Starfighter Command credentials just to get past the guards on the ground level. Just what she needed, a trip towards some sort of secret Alliance facility. She scrolled to the bottom of the message on her datapad.

Just trust me on this one. When you get there, try not to do anything too stupid.
    ~Gamma Prime

"Frelling hell, Dap," She cursed under her breath as she powered the datapad off. "Some information network."

Like I stated at the start, I'm not going to revisit this section too closely except to say, again, how heart-wrenching it is and how I love Dap's "appearance." And at least if Rainee didn't get to plant her fist in a slaver's skull, S

8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    DP thoughts:

With the Galactic Alliance diplomatic corps:
    Colonel Tycho Celchu ret. (Human Male from Alderaan)
    Major Derek ?Hobbie? Klivian ret.(Human male from Raltiir)
    Major Wes Janson ret.(Human male from Tanaab)

Someone didn't learn their lessons from Adumar. THANK THE FORCE BECAUSE OMG THE FUNNY

Natasi Daala (Chief of State)
    BOOOOOOOOO

Dia Passik (Twi?lek female from Ryloth)

DIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prologue:

You're like freaking Wes Craven in Scream. Introduce a character, get the audience connected, then BAM. Dead. :p

Precious little riled her more than to see a Hutt slinking around with an unfortunate pleasure slave in tow.
    Annie. :(

It was all in motion now.
    I have a bad feeling about this.

Chapter 1:

"Orvax IV President Jarol Cridmeen denounced the attack and held the illusive Freedom Flight responsible.
    I sense a conspiracy.

[face_laugh]

Once more, she asked herself how all of this had happened. It hadn't been that long ago she and Valin had been playing with toy blasters and model X-Wings. Yet, here they were. Syal was flying military machines for the Galactic Alliance and Valin had gone off to become a Jedi like his father and grandfather before him. This wasn't at all where she had pictured themselves being all those years ago. It was nothing short of surreal.
    :( Poor Valin and Jysella.

There hanging above the aquarium were Valin and Jysella, encased in carbonite and on display for all to see. Their mouths were agape. No doubt they had been screaming in horror as the instant freezing process had started on them. Their hands seemed to be reaching out for something, anything, that might have provided some kind of a purchase to climb out of the carbonite chamber.
    :eek: :_|

Isard Correctional Facility
    They really should have changed that name. :p

"If I don't hear a good explanation and fast I swear, Colonel, I will embed my boot into an orifice of my choosing."
    Someone takes after daddy. ;)

At the head of the mob was Jaina Solo and a Barabel that Syal recognized as being a member of the Jedi Council. Behind them were Corran and Mirax Terrik-Horn.

Syal felt her heart shatter as she watched Mirax throw herself into Corran's arms, a wail of absolute agony escaping her mouth.

:_|:_|:_|

"If you're the commander of this toxiden," Mirax said as she looked up at him, "then you must be the son-of-a-schutta who decided to use my children as decorations." ... She stopped in her tracks as Mirax reached back and slugged the Colonel under the chin.
    =D=

Out stepped Chief of State Natasi Daala.
    :mad:

The other Rogues affectionately referred to him as the "Hothman" for his almost perpetually cool state.
    [face_laugh]

?If you insist,? Quint said. ?Fifty credits says she?s on the roster in three months.?

?Seeing that I?ve got final say on the roster that sounds like a fairly safe bet for me to take.?

Quint smiled. ?I?m already thinking of ways to spend my bounty.?

Judging by the DP, I think Quint won that bet. ;)

Syal and Doran are soooooooooo cute

and then you do this:

"Oh, Tiom ..." she whispered.

Syal reached out to touch the image of her long deceased fiancé only to have her fingers pass through the hologram. With a shaky breath she set the frame down and clumsily reached into her pocket to fish out her comlink.

?Doran, it?s Syal,? she said weakly. ?I?m-I?m not going to be able to make it to dinner tonight. Something came up.?

:_| Don't let him slip away, Syal! Don't let him find his very own Blue Bimbo!

Excellent start, Lane! I can't wait to see where you go with this.
    Although judging by your Twitter updates, maybe I don't... :(

9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Thanks so much Lane for letting me know about this! Please keep me on the PM list :)

Prologue

Orvax IV definitely does not sound like a fun place to be. Ah, poor Rainee

Before the Hutt could finish Rainee had reached into her jacket and withdrawn her holdout blaster, shoving it under his multitude of chins. "Why don't you just turn around and slink off somewhere else?"

:D Go her! Ah, she?s wonderful for the Freedom Fighters.

Rainee's jaw dropped and a brief scream escaped. A fraction of a second later she felt an intense flash of pain.

Then nothing.

:( Uh-oh

"Package delivered successfully," the man said. "That should grab the media's attention in a hurry."

Well now, that?s really not good [face_plain]

Chapter One ? Inaction

The directions couldn't have been right. She was heading towards what appeared to be the administrative offices of a Galactic Alliance Security blockhouse.

Then chances are the directions are probably right :p

~Gamma Prime

[face_laugh] Yup, he knows he?s dealing with, not only just Syal, but an Antilles

The Order were calling his affliction Force Psychosis but the media wasn't nearly as gentle.

Heh, of course they?re not.

Aw, I can?t imagine how bad Syal must feel :(

There hanging above the aquarium were Valin and Jysella, encased in carbonite and on display for all to see. Their mouths were agape. No doubt they had been screaming in horror as the instant freezing process had started on them.

Not only does it fill me with the rage that Syal must feel but also a churning in my stomach. I knew they were there before, but this, with the detail, leaves a much more sour taste in my mouth before.
    I kriffing hate Daala.

Slowly, she leaned over the desk and brushed the side of her jacket back, revealing a holstered holdout blaster. "Let's try this again. Get on the intercom and tell the Colonel that Major Antilles of Starfighter Command needs to see him straightaway."

I love her. Seriously. Valin & Jysella have an awesome friend.

Syal felt her heart shatter as she watched Mirax throw herself into Corran's arms, a wail of absolute agony escaping her mouth. Slowly, Syal turned to face the Retk once more. "Colonel, in a few minutes you are going to wish it had been me you were dealing with. You had best go out there and give that grieving mother the explanation you wouldn't give me."

*cries for the Horns* oh my heart is breaking too.
    Dealing with the Horns & Jaina is exactly what he deserves. And then some.

"Well would you be willing to have a serious conversation with someone who flashed a blaster at your secretary and stormed into your office?" Doran Tainer asked with an amused smirk.

*sigh* he has a point
    Still, she deserved an explanation. Hmph.

"I should have given Daala a piece of my mind,"

While I?d have enjoyed reading that immensely, it wasn?t the right time or place to confront Daala

Without thinking Syal's fingers intertwined with Doran's as they made their way towards Rogue Squadron's operations building.

Awww :)

"What a horrid concept," She shook her head. "Any chance I could convince you to do the presentation for me?"

[face_laugh] Oh, Syal

She set the datapad back down on her desk and shook her head. ?Sorry Quint, I?m going to have to say no this one.?

I?m glad she?s going with what she believes is right for her.

We found this at the bottom of one of his footlockers. He would have wanted you to have it.
    Cerina Rordan

:( Awww *hugs Syal tight*

10. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Awesome... A sequel! *squeals in flygirl delight* [face_dancing]

I look forward to following along. Please add me to your PM list. :)

11. InsaneIsta

InsaneIsta Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2008
    Please add me to the list. Your stories are too good to miss.

12. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Lane, I think you made me realize how much I really love pilot fic. I love the action, the character development and I love love love the fact you have Syal in this!

I'll be following this, as I catch up on the one before this one, along with your other stories!

13. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Hazel

This ties in to your Syal Antilles diary?

Yes! The diary actually takes place directly after the events of this fic. While you don't need to read Rogue Diplomacy to fully enjoy the diary, this story will provide a good deal of backstory and context.

Anyway, very good start - I really have to go read Genesis of a Rogue.

Oh it would make my month if you did that :D There's a link in the intro post of this fic if you're interested :)

Since this is not going to have updates every day, could you add me to the PM list?

Absolutely! You're on it :)

earlybird - Yup, there's a Zorvan in here! Glad you're enjoying and I've put you on the PM list too.

Kat

Wow Lane! Great start!

[face_blush]

Thanks. I'm really fond of the opening to this fic :)

OMG, poor Rainee!

Hope ya'll didn't get too attached to her :p

I'm really glad you had Syal go see Valin and Jy. Very nice touch.

Syal deserves some backstory. I've always figured she was close to the Horn kids.

Good scene with Sy and Doran; sweet and moving. Her rant was great too. And Myri's RBW, ha!

Doran is just a pleasure to write. He's a fun little conduit in this fic :D

And yeah, Myri's RBW is totally part of my head canon.

Oh Sy! Don't push Doran away, okay? Ask your mama how that worked out for her.

I'm thinking Syal and Iella are going to need to have a sit down before long :(

You're on the PM list!

Nymue

Oh, Lane, I remember when you posted the excerpt of this first chapter --- if anything it's more heart-wrenching this time around. Poor, poor Syal, that's a lot of stress for one day, even for Rogue Leader.

I have to say, I'm pretty proud of that scene. I don't often try to weave my fics into canon quite that explicitly, but I thought that one worked wel.

Poor Syal, though. Rough way to start this story out :(

You have this wonderful ability to create characters that we can easily identify with, and that are well formed enough *to be* characters we care about. That's a gift, and thank goodness you use it wisely!

Aww thanks! Characterization is a big deal to me. You can have all the plot in the world, but if your readers can't connect with the characters, you've really got nothing.

I uh, hope you didn't get too attached to Rainee, though.

Though, that does make wonder about these guys. Not quite the way profic has written FF ... though this could be a change for the better, all things considered.

There's actually a brief mention in Omen about how the Freedom Flight agents on Tatooine use a lot of starship terminology in their code lingo. Of course, that hasn't made an appearance since. Blah.

*ponders* How thirsty do you have to be, or how in need of some kind of "hit" to drink from a glass that filthy?

I think for Rainee, she's willing to do just about ANYTHING for a stiff drink at this point :D

And this is why I hate you. And Joss, for that matter. You give us an interesting character, allow us to like her, worry about her, and then ...

Then you kill her off!

I have to say, my writing has become about ten times more evil since being exposed to the Whedonverse. I've got all sorts of nasty, cruel tropes I can play with now :D

At least you didn't give her billing up top, so you're not quite up to Joss' level.

*whistles innocently*

Evil Imps!

(I KNEW something was up!)

Ah the Remnant, how I love to use you in my fics.

Like I stated at the start, I'm not going to revisit this section too closely except to say, again, how heart-wrenching it is and how I love Dap's "appearance."

This whole scene was tough to craft Writing the confrontation between Mirax and Retk through Syal's eyes was just heartbreaking :(

And at least if Rainee didn't get to plant her fist in a slaver's skull, Syal got to kick Retk in the mouth.

Go, Syal, go! Sock it to him, girlfriend!

What can I say? I love writing BAMF Syal :D

I'll also note, again, how much I enjoy the way y

14. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter Two ? Crossfire

Tycho Celchu stared out the window of the airspeeder.

He realized that to an outsider it would be difficult to figure out just what kind of an event was occurring. For every mourner were two protestors holding clumsily constructed signs displaying heated messages towards the Chief of State. One even went as far as dressing Daala in robes reminiscent of Emperor Palpatine. Despite himself, he found a certain dark amusement in the juxtaposition. He quickly chastised himself. As much as Tycho may have despised her policies, it wasn?t fair to equate anyone to the Emperor.

The speeder finally came to a halt. Tycho nodded towards the driver and opened the door, stepping outs into the brisk Coruscant air. He smoothed out his dress uniform as he made his way to the temporary stage. As he approached the stairs he paused to gaze at the lifeless body of his former superior. A thought flashed instantly through his mind: this was all wrong.

Admiral Cha Niathal had always been devoted to the Alliance. The Mon Cal was a career military woman and one of the most brilliant tacticians he had ever had the privilege of working with. She had always struck Tycho as being such a strong individual. Perhaps that was why this sight just refused to sit with him.

This has been done with honor, without error, and by my own choosing. Niathal out.

He could scarcely believe it when the news had crossed his desk. Niathal had committed suicide? Tycho had been certain beyond a doubt that the information was wrong. The Admiral would never take her own life. Slowly, however, more news began to trickle in. Media outlets began reporting that just prior to her death she had been contacted by Chief of State Daala and informed that she would be facing trial for derelict of duty.

Once again Daala?s political power games had gone too far. To hold Niathal responsible for the rise of Darth Caedus was every bit as absurd as forcing Luke Skywalker into exile for it. As far as Tycho was concerned, Jacen Solo was responsible for his own actions. Watching Daala exploit a tragedy on such a Galactic scale made him ill. How many more of his friends would she attempt to put on trial just to improve her favor with the public? For all Tycho knew, he was next. His mere affiliation with the Jedi had likely pinned a target to his back.

Idly he realized that his hands had clenched into fists. He took a calming breath and looked at Niathal once more, snapping a salute and holding it for a long moment for all gathered to see. If Daala wasn?t going to give the Admiral the respect she deserved, he would. Lowering his arm to his side, Tycho ascended the stairs and sat at an open seat behind the podium. All around him were various public figures and off-world delegates who had come to say their own farewells or, perhaps more likely, mug for publicity holoshots.

"Afternoon, General," a man clad in a traditional brown Jedi tunic and oddly clashing bright athletic shoes said.

Tycho smiled faintly. "Representing the Order today?"

"That about sums it up," the Jedi said with a shrug. "Hamner felt someone should be here but with the tensions between us and Daala ..."

"Low man on the depth chart gets the call?"

The grey-haired Jedi offered a half-hearted grin. "The rest of the Council figures I'm the most expendable. I'm off to pick up their groceries next."

The two men ceased speaking as the funeral ceremony began. Almost immediately Tycho's focus drifted back to his own thoughts, causing a volatile mixture of anger, sadness. Lost in his stream of consciousness, he nearly missed his name being called.

"At the behest of the late Admiral's family, retired General Tycho Celchu will now read a eulogy he has prepared. General Celchu."

Tycho stood and approached the podium, staring into the sea of beings in front of him. Taking a deep breath, he looked ahead at the holoprompter that was beginning to display the eulogy he had painstakingly prepared days earlier.

"Cha Niathal ... " he trailed off as he caught sight of a hovering hol

15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great post with Celchu and Daala.

She is scheming again[face_worried]

16. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I'll be trying to get some funny in here, but I'm afraid I just don't have the writing chops to do that quite like The Allston can

Eh, you can be pretty funny. :)

Muahahahahahahahaha. Admittedly, I've never tried opening a fic like that before. That was quite a departure for me. I'm somewhat pleased with how it worked.

It worked!

This had been done with honor, without error, and by my own choosing. Niathal out.

Is that really what the note said? Damn. What book did that happen in?

"Afternoon, General," a man clad in a traditional brown Jedi tunic and oddly clashing bright athletic shoes said.

Heeeee

"Let none of us ever forget the bravery and courage demonstrated by Cha Niathal. May she rest for eternity knowing that her actions saved countless lives."

Swim well, little fishy. :(

Sighing, he brought the glass to his lips, pausing for a moment as if to consider whether he truly wanted to finish it off. He closed his eyes and tilted his head back, slamming down the remaining contents before setting it back down on the bartop.

Someone's in a bad mood.

Tycho turned his head and offered his friend a smile. "Sorry, Hobbie. How long have you been there?"

Hobbs!!!!

"You want to know what's bothering me?" Tycho spat, his voice rising a few levels in volume. "It's been forty years and my friends are still being hurt by political power games. It's the Emperor blowing up Alderaan. It's Borsk Fey'lya undermining the military and letting Thrawn get away with murder. It's Cal Omas clashing with the Jedi.

"And now it's Daala," he spat. "First she sends Luke into exile and then she brings the Mandos in to try and put the Order under her thumb. Was that enough for her? Of course not. She had to bring Niathal into this to gain more favor with her constituents."

:(

Tycho left the tapcaf minutes later, departing Hobbie with a much needed embrace

Was there back thumping involved? I hear that's what the men do. :nod:

"Good," Winter replied as she looked up at him. "I, on the other hand, have the chills just from watching the storm outside. I do hope you won't mind if I insist we retreat elsewhere so I may warm up."

He raised a brow as his wife dragged him towards their room.

Rawr!!

I sense the plot is afoot. [face_mischief]

17. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Oh it would make my month if you did that :D

I'm about a third along now and really enjoying it (I'd be further along if I didn't keep being interrupted)

I do have a question at this point: How did Kessila Lyell become Kessila Zorvan? I'm assuming they're the same. If it's in Genesis, than just say that it's in there, I'll eventually get to it.

Anyway, moving on...

Loved Tycho's speech and completely understand his state of mind.

As for Daala, this is the first time I'm reading her, and I already don't like her - blasted politician is only interested in how to stay on top.

Great Job, Lane! =D=

18. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Wow. Great speech, Tycho. And off the top of your head, too. He's right, of course. The only person responsible for Jacen Solo's actions is Jacen Solo himself.

The amber fluid sloshed from one end to the other, dancing through the ice and pooling where gravity dictated.

I do not know why, but this sentence gave me chills. There's just something about it... Something... inevitable, maybe? I don't really know what it is about it, but I like it.

Hobbie shrugged. "You've got the blank, expressionless stare going. That's your 'I'm in a bitter and reflective mood' look."

Tycho rolled his eyes.

"And that's your 'I'm not going to dignify that with a comment' look," Hobbie continued. "You've also got an 'I'm going to pummel you within an inch of your life' look, an 'I can't confirm but I think Wes is up to something' look, and an 'I will forcibly end this line of discussion' look."

Raising a brow, Tycho frowned slightly.

"That's the one!" Hobbie said.

[face_laugh] Yay Hobbie! So glad he's here for Tycho. I [:D] them both.

"Good," Winter replied as she looked up at him. "I, on the other hand, have the chills just from watching the storm outside. I do hope you won't mind if I insist we retreat elsewhere so I may warm up."

So elegantly phrased, Lady Winter?

Hmm? seem to be losing some of the elegance there, Mrs Celchu? :p

Excellent update, Lane. As per usual.

19. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Thanks for the add to the PM list!

When writing messages, it is important to know one's target audience.

[face_laugh] so true

That scene tore me up when I read it in Abyss. Despite the fact that I was just writing a little side-scene next to it, the process of crafting it was painful

This is what happens when we become too attached to characters :(

Chapter Two ? Crossfire

As much as Tycho may have despised her policies, it wasn?t fair to equate anyone to the Emperor.

D?aww but she?s so close sometimes it feels like!

To hold Niathal responsible for the rise of Darth Caedus was every bit as absurd as forcing Luke Skywalker into exile for it

Heh agreed. Jacen was a big boy and knew how to hide his intents. Just like a troublesome child learns how to do.

Tycho looked back at the prompter and frowned. He had been tasked with honoring the Admiral and the eulogy he had prepared wouldn't suffice.

Winging it is very much Tycho. His eulogy was?perfect :_|

Hobbie shrugged. "You've got the blank, expressionless stare going. That's your 'I'm in a bitter and reflective mood' look."

So?why bother him? ;) :p
    I?m sure there are many people who stayed away from him because of that look too. heh

Tycho just couldn't find it in himself to lock onto a topic of discussion.

Aw. :( I don?t blame the guy

"I saw you on the holonet earlier," Hobbie remarked before taking a swig of his drink. "That was a hell of a thing you did for the Admiral."

Mph, would he expect anything less?

"You want to know what's bothering me?" Tycho spat, his voice rising a few levels in volume. "It's been forty years and my friends are still being hurt by political power games.

:( :( :(

"I, on the other hand, have the chills just from watching the storm outside. I do hope you won't mind if I insist we retreat elsewhere so I may warm up."

MWAHAHAHA I love Winter :D

Natasi frowned. ?Your objections to the use of Mandalorians as a check to the Jedi have been noted several times. Which course of action do you recommend??

So how about you frelling listen?

I don?t like the way the ending sounds [face_worried]

20. Nymue

Nymue Jedi Master

Jun 28, 2007
    Tycho Celchu stared out the window of the airspeeder.

TYCHO! How I've missed you!

As much as Tycho may have despised her policies, it wasn?t fair to equate anyone to the Emperor.

In Daala's case ... yes, yes, it most certainly is! She genocidal control freak who wants power and hates the Jedi. There are times in FotJ when I think Wynn Dorvan is the only thing holding her back from crossing that line.

At least Palpatine had a good reason to hate the Jedi (millenia long feuds count, even if they are irrational); the weight of thousands of years of Sith expectations has to count for something. He had no good reason to start two galactic wars (or one, if you subscribe to the view that the Clone Wars and First Galactic Civil War was actually one war with a long "detente") and blow up Alderann, but plenty of reason to hate Jedi.

Daala's just nuts. Mad. Insane. Going loco. And NOBODY is QUESTIONING this!

[face_frustrated]

Of course, this is also what makes her so dangerous ...

Once again Daala?s political power games had gone too far. To hold Niathal responsible for the rise of Darth Caedus was every bit as absurd as forcing Luke Skywalker into exile for it. As far as Tycho was concerned, Jacen Solo was responsible for his own actions.

*sigh* If only more people in the GFFA thought that way ... But they don't because people want to be able to point a finger at the cause and sream, at the top of their vocal range, "Fix it!"

Failing that, they want a scapegoat; cue Luke in exile and Mandos as shock troops.

It's so much easier to pass the blame. Otherwise they'd have to accept responsibility for their own actions in their own lives.

Gee, this is sounding awfully like Real Life ... *scratches head* Didn't Star Wars used to be a space opera?

The grey-haired Jedi offered a half-hearted grin. "The rest of the Council figures I'm the most expendable. I'm off to pick up their groceries next."

*snort* Either that or they wanted to annoy Daala without, you know, looking like they were antagonizing her. Sorta kinda, anyway. :D

Besides, aside from Kyle and Corran, do any of the rest of the Council have a military background? Can't recall Kenth's offhand, or Saba's for that matter.

Tycho paused, looking over the crowd that had largely fallen silent. Taking a calming breath, his gaze shot up and locked onto the closest holocamera he could find.

"Let none of us ever forget the bravery and courage demonstrated by Cha Niathal. May she rest for eternity knowing that her actions saved countless lives."

And wasn't that a slap in the face to Daala? :D

Seriously, though, I loved Tycho's eulogy (another Antilles Four-Step Instant Speech, maybe? ... sorry, had to say it). It not only cuts right to the core of who he is, and what he stands for, it showed Daala's move for what it was --- a PR stunt so the populace would stop screaming about the way she's treating the Jedi.

And it reminded them that a death was the result of that PR move.

And, as always, this chapter --- indeed, the whole story and trilogy --- is fabulous for the way it fills in the gaping holes leftover from LotF, and those that are being ignored in FotJ. Yet again, Lane, you are one of the masters of characterization on these boards; we learned more about Tycho from that speech than we could ever hope to in canon these days.

So much packed into a single scene ...

"Nice of you to join us in the land of the non-comatose again," a male voice said from beside him.

Tycho turned his head and offered his friend a smile. "Sorry, Hobbie. How long have you been there?"

HOBBIE!

Tycho glanced at Hobbie over the rim of his shotglass before responding. "All I did was relay the truth. Anyone in my position would have done that."

"You think the rest of the Galaxy would put their own reputation on the line to defend someone that was days away from facing a military tribunal?" Hobbie smirked. "You give sentient life forms far too much credit."

Tell it like it is, Hobbie.

Tycho Celchu is an honorable man

21. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    earlybird - Sadly, she always seems to be scheming. Just you all wait until you find out what she's up to :(

Nanci

Eh, you can be pretty funny.

I have my occasional moments :p

I will say that while this fic does have some amusing one-liners scattered throughout, the tone is pretty serious. It's sort of a Growing the Beard moment for me.

Is that really what the note said? Damn. What book did that happen in?

Yup. That was actually what was on the note :(

I think that one appeared in Backlash, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Someone's in a bad mood.

That's putting it mildly!

Was there back thumping involved? I hear that's what the men do. :nod:

No no no! Backthumping only takes place in manbraces while at a sports bar. See, there's rules to social hugging between bros. *nods*

I sense the plot is afoot.

Plot? Maaayyybe :D

Hazel

I'm about a third along now and really enjoying it (I'd be further along if I didn't keep being interrupted)

No rush! Glad you're having fun with Genesis :)

I do have a question at this point: How did Kessila Lyell become Kessila Zorvan? I'm assuming they're the same. If it's in Genesis, than just say that it's in there, I'll eventually get to it.

That answer is revealed in chapter fifteen of Genesis, if I recall correctly :D

Loved Tycho's speech and completely understand his state of mind.

Tycho's eulogy was one of my favorite scenes to write so far in this fic. He's such an elegant character to write.

As for Daala, this is the first time I'm reading her, and I already don't like her - blasted politician is only interested in how to stay on top.

It's all a game of numbers and polls to these politicians :(

Kat

Wow. Great speech, Tycho. And off the top of your head, too.

Wedge Antilles might have the Four Step Instant Speech, but Tycho's got his own brand of ad-libbing.

He's right, of course. The only person responsible for Jacen Solo's actions is Jacen Solo himself.

Now if only the politicians (and authors) would remember that :(

I do not know why, but this sentence gave me chills. There's just something about it... Something... inevitable, maybe? I don't really know what it is about it, but I like it.

That was one of those passages you write, and you're not quite sure where it came from. I don't think I could replicate it even if I tried :p

Yay Hobbie! So glad he's here for Tycho. I them both.

Oh Hobbie and Tycho. Such wonderful, wonderful characters you are :D

So elegantly phrased, Lady Winter?

Elegance. Part of the irresistible allure of Winter.

Hmm? seem to be losing some of the elegance there, Mrs Celchu?

Hey now. Maybe they were just cuddling :p

SWpants666

D?aww but she?s so close sometimes it feels like!

Soon as Daala gets Sithly powers we'll talk!

Heh agreed. Jacen was a big boy and knew how to hide his intents. Just like a troublesome child learns how to do.

Such is the nature of politicians and the media. Have to find some way to pin the blame on someone :(

Winging it is very much Tycho. His eulogy was?perfect

He's a man who always seems to know just what needs to be said.

I?m sure there are many people who stayed away from him because of that look too. heh

Hobbie's known Tycho so long that he's impervious to that look now :D

MWAHAHAHA I love Winter

As do I. She's the PERFECT match for dear Tycho!

So how about you frelling listen?

That would mean she'd have to get over herself. I'm not holding my breath :p

Nymue

TYCHO! How I've missed you!

Getting to write Tycho again has been one of the best parts about this fic :)

In Daala's case ... yes, yes, it most certainly is! She genocidal control freak who wants power and hates the Jedi.

Poor Tycho is just being diplomatic, as he usually is. H

22. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Twice a week sounds lubberly! Any two days, won't matter, I'll be reading!

I'm not holding my breath. Good, because you'd pass out, and it's kinda hard to write fic when you're unconscious. :p

23. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    ::butting in because this issue peeves me off::

Besides, aside from Kyle and Corran, do any of the rest of the Council have a military background? Can't recall Kenth's offhand, or Saba's for that matter.

Kenth was in the military, in the NJO he was sort of the liaison between the NR and the Jedi. He was the one who came to tell Luke and Mara that Fey'lya had put out a warrant for their arrest at the beginning of Edge of Victory II: Rebirth. Luke put him on the first incarnation of the new Council specifically because of Kenth's experience as a liaison.

And instead of making him an actually competent leader of the Jedi Order in Luke's absence, what do they do? COMPLETELY DERAIL HIS CHARACTER. THANK YOU, TROY DENNING.

I just finished Omen and so far I actually have no complaints about Kenth Hamner. I actually kind of like him. Sure he's by the book, but he's supposed to be. That's what Luke wanted. Of course, I expect that by the time I finish with Abyss, my opinion will be completely different.

Sigh.

::end rant, leaves thread::

(Oh and Lane, a few days after I read this Niathal's suicide note was the Quote of the Day on Wookieepedia, lol.)

24. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Kat - I'll keep that in mind. Oxygen = good :p

Nanci - Kenth is one of the more blatant character derailments I've ever seen and it really served no purpose other than to push a rather ham-fisted plot. I have not been as angry at a book as I was at Vortex. The sheer disregard for established characterization demonstrated by Monsieur Denning is staggering.

Rant off, new post below!

25. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter Three: Losing Bets
    Early 44 ABY

It had been far too long since Kess Zorvan last sat behind a flightstick.

Quickly she ran over a systems checklist she had committed to memory. As she looked over her control panel she was pleased to see that the four Incom 4j.4 fusial thrust engines were operating at nominal efficiency. That was one less thing to worry about moving forward. A few years earlier she had spent months poring over schematics for various components of a standard Galactic Alliance issue Incom T65-XJ7 X-Wing. The powerful engines were capable of outputting a tremendous amount of thrust, but they were very sensitive pieces of machinery. Kess was thankful she wouldn?t have them working against her.

Gently she shifted her flightstick from left to right then back to center, testing the etheric aileron surfaces. Her X-Wing responded in kind, rolling onto the left strike-foils for a brief moment before shifting to the right and settling back to a level plane. After quickly tapping the pedals under her feet to confirm the etheric rudder was within acceptable performance rates she allowed herself a chance to smile. It was good to be flying again.

?Green Flight, report in,? Kess said into her helmet-mounted microphone.

?Green Two, four lit and operational,? A calm female voice responded over the subspace radio.

?Green Three is looking for his pillow mint,? A human male followed.

Kess was tempted to inquire what Three was talking about but refrained.

?Green Four, awaiting orders,? another female voice added.

?Acknowledged, Green Flight," Kess replied. "Standby, I suspect we?ll be hearing from the Major shortly.?

She decided to take advantage of the relative calm around them to gauge her surroundings. Green Flight was currently flying along the edges of an asteroid field, a sight that caused a bit of fear to form in the stomach of every pilot. She had to keep her eyes darting all around her forward viewport, lest a stray fragment of rock cross her flightpath. Provided they stayed a safe distance away, Kess was sure they would be fine.

As Kess waited for her mission orders to filter in she pushed her flightstick forward before yanking it back. Frowning, she reached out to her left and adjusted the inertial compensator, the device that controlled how much acceleration a pilot felt while in the cockpit of a starfighter. Ages ago her uncle (a former combat jockey himself) had drilled into her head that she should have the compensator dialed back slightly so she could feel the effects of a sharp dive or bank as well as gravity if she were flying through atmosphere. Her uncle insisted that a small amount of g-forces were vital to keeping a pilot properly oriented.

"Morning everyone," Major Antilles' voice rang through the subspace radio. "Hope you're all ready for a fun little jaunt. Ms. Zorvan, you've got command of Green Flight and remember, you're only getting once chance at this."

"Yes, ma'am," Kess replied, somewhat surprised that she didn't feel the slightest hint of annoyance at being reprimanded before the exercise had even begun. "What are our orders?"

"I think you'll be able to figure them out quick enough. As always, though, you'll want to survive."

Before Kess could respond her targeting sensors began to light up. A pair of aging Corellian CR90 blockade runners broadcasting friendly identification signals reverted into realspace in front of her. Seconds later, nine TIE Defenders dropped into the immediate area behind them. Here we go! she said to herself. There was no mistaking it, the Imperial craft were trying to take out the CR90s.

"Looks like we've got company," Kess said as she reached for a nearby lever and pulled it towards her. "Tag those Corvettes as friendly and mark them as mission critical. Lock S-Foils in attack position."

Her cockpit was filled with a whirring noise as her starfighter's strike foils shifted into the distinctive X-shaped pattern. "Zone, bring the laser batteries online. Even power distribution."

Her R2 unit trilled a

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.