main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends X-Wing: Rogue Diplomacy - Complete 5/20 (Sequel to Genesis. Syal, Tycho, Wes, Hobbie, Doran, Rogues)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lane_Winree, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    You know I usually don't read fics in this timeframe when they follow the so-called canon. Simply because I think NJO and especially LotF and beyond are [*insert obnoxious jingle music here*] Due to Terms of Service and Board rules the management has decided to overlay the string of invective with an obnoxious jingle music as the terms and phrases used do not correspond with the audience of this board. We're sorry for the inconvenience. [*obnoxious jingle music peters out*] and that is just the harmless version.

But then pilot fics are rare these days ... and references to a "woman operating an excursion tour business" isn't something I can pass. ;)

2. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    earlybird - Syal somehow had to muster up something to tell her pilots. Thank goodness she held herself together. What's Kess up to? We'll find out soon!

Hazel

Poor Syal, the further this story goes, the more I feel for her. But great characterization, Lane.

That poor girl. I'm really doing a number to her ;)

Thank you, though. Syal is tricky. So little has been written about her, which sort of makes her an original character of sorts.

It was also very interesting to dive into Kess's head. I wonder what she's up to?

Keep that tucked away for future reference :D

Nanci

Oh that's not good, Syal.

Now she's keeping secrets :(

Ugh. Poor girl. Yeah, the downward spiral is starting...

Too much coming at her too fast :(

Just a suggestion, but I would reword this sentence to read "if he were to ever find out that we walked away from our duty in order to protect him." The way it reads now, it as if their duty is to protect him. /editor

Oooh thanks, went and made that change :)

I don't think this is going to make her feel much better.

No, but she needs some confirmation that she made the right choice

Vik!!!

Yup, he's still floating around the Galaxy :D

Hahahaha, is that a reference to who I think it is?

It sure is! Kirney Slane, con artist extraordinaire.

And she could have taken a lot of lessons from Face Loran

If she wanted to learn how to play hammy roles, absolutely :D

Never good to run away from your past, Kess. It will only bring heartache.

Keep that in mind for Rakehell!

Why do I have a bad feeling about this? Oh, because it's you writing this.

*Whistles innocently*

Kat

Poor Syal, so strong and so fragile at the same time.

She's got to put on a good show for everyone, but inside she's falling to pieces :(

Tycho giving her the decision... ouch, for both of them.

And that had to be hard for Tycho. He wants to make the call for her, he wants to make this easier for her, but it's not his decision to make and he knows it.

Wedge would be so proud of her, though. I have a feeling that, even if Wedge does go to trial, he'll just make Daala look bad. Although she does a good job of that on her own.

As bittersweet as Syal's decision is, Wedge absolutely would be proud that he raised his daughter to make tough choices like that.

How's Tycho going to handle Downward Spiral, hmm? He's got to feel that it's partly his fault, whatever happened.

Oh, there's guilt. Sooooo much guilt :(

SWpants666

Thanks for the background on what you were thinking regarding the plot! Very cool to read. As much as I became attached to Quint, I?d rather him die than Jamee. I think it?s better for Syal?s mental state too.

Quint definitely was more of Syal's support structure in this fic, so losing him is going to impact her tremendously :(

Heh. Not going to throw him off.

Not Tycho, nor siree!

*sigh* of course there is. Of course she did. Unfortunately, she?s not dumb.

She's shrewd, unfortunately :(

Oh poor Tycho.
    Poor Syal.
    Poor Wedge.

Poor everyone :(

Wow. I?ve never heard of Karrde?s work being so draining. But it makes sense. I don?t blame her for wanting to get out.

So much of Karrde's operations depends on gathering intelligence, and I have to think the field operatives he has doing the grunt work go through a lot.

I like seeing more about Kess?s past. It really gives her more character. And explains a lot.

Like I mentioned earlier, keep all of this in mind!

And she?ll have it, I know she will. She wants it bad enough. It makes me happy for her.

And I?m curious as to what she?s up to (along with everyone else)

This is all a bit more innocuous. She's in a reflective mood right now because she's being confronted by part of her past that she ran away from.

But of course, that won't be the last time her past is brought up in this series :D

I freaking LOVE Syal.

She's got her father's gi

3. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter Seventeen - Power Void

It was amusing, Syal thought to herself. On their initial arrival, the only media presence had been a handful of reporters a few small news outlets and the Galactic Associated Holopress had sent. Contrary to what Chief Daala had hoped, there was very little interest in Tycho's diplomatic mission to Orvax IV. All eyes were still on the Jedi and the Reunification Summit, neither of which were proceeding particularly well from what Syal had heard. There simply was not a market in the news for a retired General going off to play peacemaker on some outer-rim, backwater world.

Then came the bombing. A few dozen reporters had arrived on-world to cover the aftermath and cash in on the story of a terrorist cell that had decided to take their frustrations out on a war hero. Syal had been recovering in the embassy's medical wing, but Hobbie had told her that Tycho had been forced to field questions for the better part of an hour. That had been bad enough. The situation only got worse when word began to trickle out that the little diplomatic delegation had defied an order to return home from the Chief of State herself, the situation exploded.

Syal knew they were in for a long day the moment she took a look outside. Dozens of reports, countless holonet relays, and an even greater number of security personnel had set up at the steps to the embassy. Before she knew what was happening, Syal found herself in a dress uniform and standing behind Tycho, listening to him speak to the members of the news media in an attempt to calm nerves. She- along with Doran, Wes, and Hobbie- were merely decoration. Tycho was handling the entirety of the press conference. To say that wasn't going well would have been somewhat of an understatement. The reporters were peppering Tycho with a barrage of questions, shouting over one another to make themselves heard. It was almost as if she were staring at a mob.

"Is it true you have called in the Fourth Fleet to deploy marines against the insurgents?" One reporter asked.

Tycho calmly shook his head. "There are no plans on the table to bring an additional military presence to Orvax IV."

"Is sending Chief of State Daala's recall order to the senate merely an attempt to undermine her?"

"I have a great deal of respect for the office of Chief of State," he said levelly. "I and my entire staff would not go to these lengths unless we were certain it was in the best interests of the Galactic Alliance as a whole. There is no malice directed at Chief Daala. We are merely seeking additional time to evaluate our options and do what is best for the citizens of Orvax IV."

Another wall of shouts from the reporters. After several deafening moments, one finally managed to make herself heard over the roar. "Are rumors that the Chief of State blackmailed you into accepting this assignment true, Ambassador Celchu?"

The question seemed to catch Tycho off guard. He hesitated for the briefest of moments, but Syal could sense frustration from him.

"I assure you," he managed to say, "that talk of blackmail is little more than political conspiracy devised by opportunists who have lost sight of the bigger image. As I have said, we are here on an assignment that we take very seriously. Now if you will excuse us, I am overdue for a planning meeting I must attend. Additional questions can be directed to Major Klivian later today."

With that, he stepped away from the podium amidst a chorus of protests from the media. Syal fallowed suit, stepping in line with Wes and briskly stepping back into the embassy. "I didn't receive much in the way of public relations training while at the Academy. How did that go?"

"Some wins, some losses," Wes said, his expression oddly serious. "He managed to portray himself as the calm, rational one. Unfortunately, the larger goal was to try and convince everyone that there isn't bad blood between himself and the Witch of State. Last thing we need is for Daala to decide all of this needs to be personal."

"That's a hell of a lie to try and sell," Syal sai

4. InsaneIsta

InsaneIsta Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2008

This has to be my favorite scene from the whole chapter. I'm so glad I got to read this before I headed off to work. -pouts- Can it be Monday right now?

5. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    "I have a great deal of respect for the office of Chief of State,"

Yeah, right! I have a great deal of respect for a chair. :p

"Sure you don't work as a forensic investigator by night?"

"Definitely not. Contrary to what the holoshows say, those poor suckers don't get to carry a blaster."

Hehehe! CSI Coruscant

"You're turning this into a military op, aren't you?"

"That's the short of it, yes," Tycho replied with a nod. "Wedge, let me ask you this. How would you feel about ending the slave trade down there once and for all? As a bonus, how would you also feel about avoiding a publically embarrassing and devastating sham trial?"

"Is this a trick question?"

A smile formed on Tycho's lips. "Not at all, but I'm going to need your help. You might want to consider buying a new formal suit."

I approve :D !!!

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Intrigue and a great plan.

A nice update with the usual witty banter between the rogues.:)

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Like I mentioned earlier, keep all of this in mind!

My problem is I have a terrible memory and will forget in a day or two :pp

And how! Eat dust, Daala.

BAM!!

Chapter Seventeen - Power Void

Tycho had been forced to field questions for the better part of an hour. That had been bad enough. The situation only got worse when word began to trickle out that the little diplomatic delegation had defied an order to return home from the Chief of State herself, the situation exploded.

Poor Tycho. :(
    And I?m sure the public will be happy about the fact once everything is cleared up. Of course, Daala will make their lives hell until she?s dead, but?

"Is sending Chief of State Daala's recall order to the senate merely an attempt to undermine her?"

[face_laugh] Oh if only it were that simple

"I'll be sure to tell Uncle Face you said that sometime. I'm sure he's up to the challenge."

Maybe, but would he really want to pretend to be cool with Daala?

Hobbie was the first one to speak up. "I think we need to assume that our terrorists are more than just domestic, run-of-the-mill freedom fighters."

I think that?s a good assumption.

Two days ago I took Kess and Jamee for an unannounced trip to President Cridmeen's office."

"Without permission," Wes noted. "You really are Wedge's little girl."

*snorts*
    Of course she?s proud of it :D

"Orvax IV," Kelrune said. "I didn't believe it myself, but the credits are coming right here and going through all sorts of channels to hide that."

Wow. That?s crazy

While we don't know why Cridmeen is funding the insurgents, what we can definitively say is that both he and Cerulo are part of the same conspiracy to promote terror on-world. That gives us ground to remove both from power."

Yeah well I?d like to know why. And I?m sure they have to know why before they go after them. Unfortunately.

"Syal," Tycho said quietly. "You do realize the ramifications if we turn this into a military operation?
    ?
    "I am aware, but quite honestly that is the last thing on my mind right now."

Of course she?s aware.

Dia :D

Wes grinned. "See Hobbie? All of those horrific crash landings and ejections finally paid off. You landed an endorsement deal with a bacta company and learned the finer art of PR wars."

*laughs hysterically*

"Janson, let me just say that it's refreshing to see you. Everything in the Galaxy may have gone to hell over the last few years, but at least you haven't changed a bit.

LOL

?I?m telling you the resistance isn?t going to go away,? Wes countered. ?It?s a known quantity to Orvax IV?s people now

Besides, you can?t really completely eradicate everything.

?If only you knew, Dia,? Wes replied as he turned to walk out of the tap caf. ?If only you knew the cost.?

:( It?s probably best that she doesn?t though.

"I can't stand the thought of watching you go through the same farce I had to endure," Tycho managed to say.

Awwwww

As a bonus, how would you also feel about avoiding a publically embarrassing and devastating sham trial?"

[face_laugh]

8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Ch. 17

the Reunification Summit

Hey, by the way, why have we not seen more this in FotJ? Or have I just not gotten there yet? :p

"I have a great deal of respect for the office of Chief of State," he said levelly.

That's a rather diplomatic way to put it. :)

Additional questions can be directed to Major Klivian later today."

Hahaha. Poor Hobbie.

"Greatest actor on the planet wouldn't have been able to pull that one off."

"I'll be sure to tell Uncle Face you said that sometime. I'm sure he's up to the challenge."

Heee. He actually would. :)

"Are you suggesting the Remnant might be behind all of this?" Doran asked.

Isn't it called the Galactic Empire now? Or do people in the GA still call it Remnant anyway? I remember Jag getting on Jaina for calling it that.

Doran whistled. "Sure you don't work as a forensic investigator by night?"

"Definitely not. Contrary to what the holoshows say, those poor suckers don't get to carry a blaster."

I'm picturing Syal donning sunglasses a la David Caruso.

"The only logical conclusion is that he is willingly funding a revolt against his own government," Hobbie mused aloud. "This isn't any sort of altruistic act on his part, either. If he wanted slavery to end here, there are far more direct and significantly less violent ways to make that happen. He wants the bloodshed."

This doesn't sound very good.

It was risky, but Syal knew it could work. Two small strike teams converging on Cerulo and Cridmeen could effectively capture both and bring them back to the embassy for holding. It all would rely on speed. Being able to get in and out with their targets in a quick manner would greatly reduce the chance of bloodshed and loss of life. Granted, there was still additional planning to do. While they knew that Cridmeen was still somewhere within the presidential building, there was no telling where Cerulo was hiding out. Hopefully Vik Kelrune and Karrde's network could reveal that minor mystery in short order

Sounds fun! And dangerous. Just like a Rogue mission!

What I don't see is who steps in and takes over the slave resistance."

Wes cocked his head to the side in a thoughtful pose. "I think I've got someone. Dia."

Yaaay, Dia!

"As much as you may not want to do this, Hobbie said, "I think you need to consider taking some drastic action with her. She's not going to want you to, but you've got to act in her best interests. You need to figure out whether or not she's fit to serve right now."

I don't think this is going to go well.

?If only you knew, Dia,? Wes replied as he turned to walk out of the tap caf. ?If only you knew the cost.?

Oh Wedge is going to be so pissed.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Wedge asked, finally breaking the silence.

Disappointment.

And that, too. :(

A smile formed on Tycho's lips. "Not at all, but I'm going to need your help. You might want to consider buying a new formal suit."

Oh. I have a good feeling about this. :)

9. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009

There simply was not a market in the news for a retired General going off to play peacemaker on some outer-rim, backwater world.

Then came the bombing.

Add bloodshed ? instant ratings hike!

Throw Hobbie to the wolves, Tycho, why don?t you?

Uncle Face!

The diplomat and ambassador had been replaced by a very stern, very military presence.

Bombad General Celchu is bad-ass, yeah!

"Without permission," Wes noted. "You really are Wedge's little girl."

"And proud of it," Syal responded.

Hell to the yeah!

And she chooses the right thing to do, even if it will make Daala p.o?d at her. Wedge?s girl, through and through. Be proud, Daddy Wedge. You done good.

Wes cocked his head to the side in a thoughtful pose. "I think I've got someone. Dia."

Yes. Dia good.

?I?m just glad Tycho decided to do the right thing. I wish I knew why it took him this long to come around.?

He has a good reason, Dia. It?s heartbreaking for him, but he?s doing the right thing.

An oppressive hush lingered over the two men, For perhaps the first time in his life, Tycho wasn't sure what to expect from him. Understanding? Anger? Sadness?

He?s NOT going to understand, Tych. Just because he?d throw himself under a stampeding bantha for you, doesn?t mean he expects you to do the same for him. He?s humble like that.

A pained smile appeared on Wedge's face. "At least you finally said something. Listen, you need to get your people, not to mention my daughter, off of Orvax IV.?

Actually, I think you?d better mention that daughter. She needs mentioning. [face_worried]

By the way? I love the entirety of the conversation between Wedge and Tycho. It?s perfect, for both of them. But I decided not to quote the whole thing.

"That's the short of it, yes," Tycho replied with a nod. "Wedge, let me ask you this. How would you feel about ending the slave trade down there once and for all? As a bonus, how would you also feel about avoiding a publically embarrassing and devastating sham trial?"

And this is where I dissolve into incoherent babbling goo, squealing the occasionally-understandable OMGOMGOMGOMG, because? if you?re taking this where I think you?re taking this?.

[:D] [face_dancing] :* [:D] [face_love] [:D] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] 8-}

10. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    InsaneIsta - This was definitely one of my favorite bits to write. I do enjoy writing Tycho and Wedge scenes, but it's been a while since I've had the chance to write them both together in a longfic. Glad you enjoyed :)

Hazel

Yeah, right! I have a great deal of respect for a chair.

Well, notice how he puts that. He has a great deal of respect for the office of the Chief of State, not necessarily the person occupying that role :D

Hehehe! CSI Coruscant

There's a fic in there somewhere. I'm not writing it :p

I approve !!!

I thought you might :D

earlybird - It was only a matter of time before they came up with a plan of action :)

SWpants666

And I?m sure the public will be happy about the fact once everything is cleared up. Of course, Daala will make their lives hell until she?s dead, but?

Eventually the public will be happy. Right now, it's media field day and one more sign that Daala is losing control over the Alliance.

Maybe, but would he really want to pretend to be cool with Daala?

Well, if there was a decent payout for winning that wager ...

*snorts*
    Of course she?s proud of it

Daddy's little girl and not afraid to say it :D

Wow. That?s crazy

Convoluted and messy. Just the kind of dastardly plot the Rogues have to go up against all the time :D

Yeah well I?d like to know why. And I?m sure they have to know why before they go after them. Unfortunately.

Well, perhaps. Or they could go in guns blazing and ask questions later!

Besides, you can?t really completely eradicate everything.

You really, really can't :(

Nanci

Hey, by the way, why have we not seen more this in FotJ? Or have I just not gotten there yet?

It hasn't been mentioned ONCE since Outcast *grumble*

That's a rather diplomatic way to put it

Tycho Celchu, master wordsmith.

Hahaha. Poor Hobbie.

First he's cleaning up for Bror, now he's cleaning up for Tycho!

Isn't it called the Galactic Empire now? Or do people in the GA still call it Remnant anyway? I remember Jag getting on Jaina for calling it that.

Most GA citizens still call it the Remnant. Jag's just a stickler for that :p

I'm picturing Syal donning sunglasses a la David Caruso

Syal: I suppose you could say they weren't ...

*puts on sunglasses*

Syal: Packing heat.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Sounds fun! And dangerous. Just like a Rogue mission!

It's the Rogue way!

I don't think this is going to go well.

What makes you think that? :D

Oh Wedge is going to be so pissed.

And that, too.

Honestly? I think Wedge being disappointed in you is ten billion times worse than him being mad at you.

Oh. I have a good feeling about this.

Tycho's got a plan!

Kat

Add bloodshed ? instant ratings hike!

The press is looooooving this :D

Throw Hobbie to the wolves, Tycho, why don?t you?

It's his lot in life :p

Bombad General Celchu is bad-ass, yeah!

Absolutely!

And she chooses the right thing to do, even if it will make Daala p.o?d at her. Wedge?s girl, through and through. Be proud, Daddy Wedge. You done good.

He's raised a brilliant girl, hasn't he?

Yes. Dia good.

Dia very good!

He has a good reason, Dia. It?s heartbreaking for him, but he?s doing the right thing.

You'll understand before long, Dia. Promise :(

He?s NOT going to understand, Tych. Just because he?d throw himself under a stampeding bantha for you, doesn?t mean he expects you to do the same for him. He?s humble like that.

Humble and extraordinarily loyal. Poor Wedge. And Tycho. And everyone :(

Actually, I think you?d better mention that daughter. She needs mentioning

She really does. Someone should be keeping an eye on her!

By the way? I love the entirety of the conversation between Wedge and Tycho. It?s perfect, for both of them. But I decided not to quote the whole thing.

Like I've mentioned, that passage w

11. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter Eighteen - Rogue Diplomacy

"We're going to split into two units," Syal said, glancing down at the hastily scrawled notes in front of her. "Alpha Unit consists of Salan, Versai, Nezuma, and will be commanded by Jedi Tainer. You are to proceed immediately to the Presidential building's south facade and force your way in."

"And just how are we going to do that?" Captain Versai asked, holding up her datapad. "The south facade doesn't even have windows we could climb through. It's a solid wall of durasteel."

Syal looked towards Lieutenant Salan. "I think this might be best suited to you. Last I checked, you were cross-trained through the academy as a demolitions expert."

"You would be correct, Major," Salan said, a grin forming on his face. "Have something in mind?"

"Think you can pull one of the proton torpedoes out of an X-Wing and rig it up for a smaller scale detonation?"

The Lieutenant offered a nod. "I should be able to. If I can pull a proton core out of one of the torpedoes and connect it to some sort of radio detonator, I can build a breaching charge. It won't be elegant, but it'll work."

"What about an explosive is elegant, Salan?" Jamee asked.

"There is precious little in this Galaxy as beautiful as a well crafted, contained explosion that does exactly what you want it to."

Syal raised a hand to reign in the attention of her pilots once more. "As soon as we're done here, I want you to go about putting that together."

"And just what are we going to do once we're at our destination?" Flight Officer Nezuma asked.

Syal hesitated. "Given the high level of security required for this operation, I have asked Jedi Tainer to fully debrief you once you are at the target site. We cannot afford word of this to slip out prematurely. While I suspect several of you have ideas on what your mission orders are, I am going to insist that we operate on the highest levels of classification possible. I'm sorry I can't say more than that right now.

Several of her pilots offered nods of understanding. Syal expected no less, they were as professional as anyone in the fleet.

"Bravo Unit will consist of Farlander, Katar, Zorvan, and myself as the command leader. We will proceed to the industrial district of the capitol city where I will then conduct a final on-site briefing. Questions, anyone?"

The Rogues refrained from asking anything, despite the fact that Syal knew that each one of them probably had a dozen questions to ask. Still, they knew that if it were possible, she would be more open with them. Occasionally, lack of information was one of the perils faced by members of the military. There were times where you had no choice but to trust a superior officer. As she looked over the faces of her pilots, she didn't see any signs of nerves or distrust. They looked like men and women who were ready to go to work.

They were, Syal noted to herself, the best damn collection of pilots she could have ever hoped to command.

"I know none of you are commandos," she said, pausing for a moment to gather her thoughts. "I know just how much it is I'm asking of you right now. Four days ago we lost three of our own and we all became painfully aware of the danger surrounding us. I can't speak for any of you, but I know that weighs heavily on my mind. That's why asking all of you to put your necks on the line again is so hard. Four days ago I wrote three next of kin letters and the thought of writing even one more is something I dread.

"Like our decision to stay here on Orvax IV, this operation will be entirely voluntary," Syal continued. "I cannot order any of you to take part in this, not this time. While I can't tell you exactly what your orders are, I can promise you that this will be dangerous. Far more so than anything else we've encountered here. If you don't want to take part in this mission, I fully understand. As I have told you before, there will be no grudges held and no animosity between us. I respect all of you far too much for that sort of petty behavior.

"If there are any objections, now is the tim

12. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

Syal: I suppose you could say they weren't ...

*puts on sunglasses*

Syal: Packing heat.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

BRB dying

[face_laugh]

Ch. 18

"There is precious little in this Galaxy as beautiful as a well crafted, contained explosion that does exactly what you want it to."

Something tells me that Doran would agree with this. :)

"I have one," a shaky voice from the back of the room said. "Which unit am I with?"

The question came from Haruko Skobra. There was no putting it off anymore, Syal noted.

"I need a few moments with Captain Skobra," Syal levelly said. "The rest of you are dismissed. Go about your preparations."

Oh, I have a very bad feeling about this.

Syal watched the pilots stream out of the briefing room. Some offered Haruko a reassuring smile or a pat on the shoulder. Others avoided eye contact at all costs. Once the door slid shut behind the last of the Rogues, she made her way towards Haruko. Wordlessly, Syal spun a chair around and took a seat directly across from her. For the first time, she took a good look at the beleaguered captain. Hobbie was right, Haruko was nothing short of an emotional and physical mess. When was the last time she had slept? The bags under her eyes, the pale complexion, and the general state of malaise were troublesome.

I have to do something about this.

I hate to say it, Syal...but you are being awfully hypocritical here. :p

Syal frowned. "I'm sorry I have to do this, but right now I need to do what is best for you. I have to send you home, Captain. I'll go ahead and book civilian passage for you."

"That's it? You're just going to put me in time out? I'm not sure if you've noticed, Major, but you are dreadfully short on manpower right now. You can't afford to send me away."

Again, I hate to say it...but is it really fair to send her home? Completing the mission in the name of her dead lover could bring her a lot of closure. Sure Syal is going the safe route...but when have the Rogues ever been safe?

Syal merely shook her head. "No, you're not. I want you to pack your stuff and head to the starport. I'll forward you your flight manifest once you're there. When you get back home, I'm also placing an order in to have you sit down with a grief therapist."

"No," Haruko said flatly. "You can't do that. The second a flag like that gets in my profile, my career is over. I'm too old to latch on with another squadron."

Oh. This. Is not good.

Syal. You have no idea.

"I won't do it. I'm not going anywhere. This damn job is the only thing I have left and I won't let you take that away from me!"

She's right...is she? You're confusing me, Lane.

"Perfectly," Haruko said through clenched teeth. "Permission to speak off the record?"

Despite her better judgment, Syal nodded.

"You can go to hell for vaping my career, Major."

Haurko stormed off, leaving Syal alone in the briefing room with nothing else but a still, oppressive hush.

And again, with the irony.

I think I hate you some more.

The Lieutenant fished a remote detonator from his pocket and pressed his back against the retaining wall. "You all might want to cover your ears. It's only one proton core from a torpedo, but it still makes a pretty sizable boom."

"You know, I think you should meet my father," Doran mused aloud and he placed his hands over his ears.

Hehehe.

"You carry thermal detonators on you!?" Doran asked, wide-eyed.

"You don't?"

Heheheheeheh now I know where you got that line in Plooma :D

And come on, Doran, your dad would be so proud if you carried detonators!

Arriving at the door to the west entrance, Syal glanced over her shoulder. "On point, Zorvan."

"Why am I on point?" Kess asked.

"Because you were the fool who decided to learn how to use a lightsaber."

"You know, contrary to popular belief not all Jedi enjoy rushing into combat to deflect copious amounts of blaster fire wi

13. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Talking to a therapist of any sort was the first step to getting a dreaded psychological mark placed in one's personnel file. Once a pilot had one of those, it became exponentially tougher to find a posting throughout the fleet. Commanding officers often used those flags as the first wave of screening when filling out a roster vacancy. If a therapist deemed you unfit to fly, you were pulled off your active roster. At that point, it was a long climb back to the top.

:( Back-flashes to Syal's diary here. :(

"You don't?"

Oh, Gods! :oops:

"Dia, was it?" Kess asked. "I think my uncle mentioned he once worked with you back when he was still Republic military."

Dia's eyes narrowed. "Your uncle wouldn't happen to be Dap Zorvan, would he? That insufferable man nearly got us killed a number of times."

"He has that effect on people."

[face_laugh] Good old Dap!

Grinning, Dia depressed a button on the panel, activating the building PA system. "Attention slave resistance. You are now under new management."

[face_dancing]

14. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Wow Syal. You know, when you feel the need to beat the living poodoo out of someone like that, it's a pretty good sign you might be on the edge. Also... VERY MUCH LIKE YOUR FATHER!

And UH-OH for the end. Don't relax now guys!

Epic update Lane.

15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nyla Kaartinen [face_worried]what is she planning.

An explosive update. Loved the action=D==D=

16. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Right now, it's media field day and one more sign that Daala is losing control over the Alliance.

[face_dancing]

Chapter Eighteen - Rogue Diplomacy

Salan being proud of her demolitions brings back good memories :D

Four days ago we lost three of our own and we all became painfully aware of the danger surrounding us. I can't speak for any of you, but I know that weighs heavily on my mind.

*hugs for her, hugs for them all*

"I'm fine," Haruko protested.

:( No, she just wishes she was.

"You can go to hell for vaping my career, Major."

*winces* I feel really bad for Haruko, but?she?s just?I don't want to say she can't. But Syal is doing what she feels best.

I just hope this doesn?t have any repercussions.

"Is that modesty I detect, Lieutenant? Are you sure you're a Rogue?"

[face_laugh]

"Expect moderate resistance," he continued. "Cridmeen probably has at least a dozen armed guards scattered throughout the path we're taking. Be prepared for people to shoot, yell, and otherwise do mean things to you once we're in there."

Moderate resistance? ?Mean things??
    That?s putting it mildly, I?m sure.

He had long ago learned that just about any volatile item had the potential to combust in a frighteningly powerful manner.

Hehe, yup, Kell would teach him that ;) :p

"You don't?"

*cackles insanely* Oh I really like Salan

Dia's eyes narrowed. "Your uncle wouldn't happen to be Dap Zorvan, would he? That insufferable man nearly got us killed a number of times."

"He has that effect on people."

[face_laugh] Oh man, it tickles that she doesn?t refute it.

"Why am I on point?" Kess asked.

"Because you were the fool who decided to learn how to use a lightsaber."

*snerk*

Without warning the lights suddenly turned on, momentarily blinding Syal. Without thinking, she grabbed Dia and Jamee and shoved them behind a nearby crate.

Man, I love those reflexes

"Typical human," Cerulo muttered, taking a step closer to her. "Marches in and thinks they can take what they want."

*shrugs* I can?t fault him for thinking that way.
    Though I CAN fault her for being a scumbag.

That was an intense fight. Go Syal!

A more effective form of vengeance was to simply blow them into tiny chunks of space debris.

Well now, I don?t like the sound of that

That was a great chapter, filled with snarky humour and just awesome.

17. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Nanci

Something tells me that Doran would agree with this

Kell certainly wood!

I hate to say it, Syal...but you are being awfully hypocritical here.

Oh, you had better believe she is.

Again, I hate to say it...but is it really fair to send her home? Completing the mission in the name of her dead lover could bring her a lot of closure. Sure Syal is going the safe route...but when have the Rogues ever been safe?

Closure, sure, but Syal has to weigh the risks. Even Wedge knew that he had to shut some of his pilots down in situations like this. See Myn Donos.

Oh. This. Is not good.

Syal. You have no idea.

Fridge horror. Syal will have it.

She's right...is she? You're confusing me, Lane.

Haruko? They're both right to a degree, and they're both wrong to a degree.

And again, with the irony.

I think I hate you some more.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Heheheheeheh now I know where you got that line in Plooma

Yeah, recycled line. Guilty!

And come on, Doran, your dad would be so proud if you carried detonators!

He really would be :D

The end sounds very ominous

Dun DUN DUN

Hazel

Back-flashes to Syal's diary here.

Whole lot of fridge horror with that diary :(

Good old Dap!

Leaving an impact with Rogue Squadron decades after he left :D

Kat

Wow Syal. You know, when you feel the need to beat the living poodoo out of someone like that, it's a pretty good sign you might be on the edge. Also... VERY MUCH LIKE YOUR FATHER!

There's your first sign that Syal is beginning to lose control. She's pretty good about not flying off the handle, but now? All bets are off :(

And UH-OH for the end. Don't relax now guys!

The poodoo is about to hit the fan!

earlybird - What is she planning? Nothing good, that's for sure ;)

SWpants666

Salan being proud of her demolitions brings back good memories

Salan likes big booms :D

No, she just wishes she was.

And she clearly, clearly is not :(

*winces* I feel really bad for Haruko, but?she?s just?I don't want to say she can't. But Syal is doing what she feels best.

I just hope this doesn?t have any repercussions.

Syal absolutely has to do what she needs to in order to ensure the safety of her squadron, but repurcussions? Definitely possible.

Moderate resistance? ?Mean things??
    That?s putting it mildly, I?m sure.

Doran's got a talent for understatement :p

Hehe, yup, Kell would teach him that

Son, did you know that you can turn military rations into a weapons grade explosive?

*cackles insanely* Oh I really like Salan

He's so much fun! And he'll be back in the third fic.

Oh man, it tickles that she doesn?t refute it.

Doesn't even try :D

Man, I love those reflexes

Military training at work!

*shrugs* I can?t fault him for thinking that way.
    Though I CAN fault her for being a scumbag.

We can all fault her for being a scumbag

That was an intense fight. Go Syal!

Syal mad. Syal smash.

That was a great chapter, filled with snarky humour and just awesome.

Thanks! This is one chapter I'm particularly proud of :)

Thanks for reading all, new post below!

On a sadder note, next week will contain the final two chapter :(

The sequel to this fic, Rakehell Squadron, is currently being outlined. I'm hoping to be in position to start posting it in October or sooner!

18. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter Nineteen - Punch Out

The walk to the holding cell may not have been the most excruciating moment of Tycho Celchu's life, but it was right up there.

Wes and Hobbie barely spoke a word to Tycho as they made their way to have a conversation with slave resistance leader M'Trudar Cerulo and Orvax IV President Jarol Cridmeen. Truthfully, the three of them had been rather quiet since the Rogues had departed earlier that morning to carry out their hastily thrown together mission. For Tycho, much of his unease was simply due to the fact that he hadn't been involved in the actual strikes. He wasn't used to sitting back and watching others do his work. Even when he had left day-to-day service to join military administration, he had more of a say in operations.

This time all he could do was sit back and hope for the best. There weren't even audio or holovideo feeds he could monitor, for Syal had made the decision to operate under a strict communication blackout as a security precaution. It put Tycho into a difficult situation. On the one hand, he wanted nothing more than to watch over his best friend's daughter to ensure her safety. On the other, he respected Syal the Alliance officer. Now that this was a military operation, he had to yield to her discretion and wisdom. She was the ranking active-duty officer.

So for seven long, miserable hours he paced around the embassy rec room. Every now and then Hobbie or Wes would break the silence to try and reassure him that everything was fine, Syal was perfectly capable of pulling this off. The logical part of his mind recognized this. Syal Antilles was as decorated and skilled as anyone in the Alliance armed forces. At least in that regard, she was most assuredly her father's daughter. He had all the confidence in the universe that she would be able to put together and execute a solid plan.

No, it wasn't her military instincts and abilities that worried him. Ever since the bombing that had killed three of her pilots, Tycho had noticed that Syal seemed off. She appeared to be in a constant state of exhaustion. Though sleep was hard for any of them to come by lately, it looked as if she was getting significantly less than everyone else. Even more disconcerting than that were the moments he had seen her when she thought she was alone. Syal often had a vacant expression on her face and a distant look in her eyes when she wasn't talking to someone else. There were stretches where it looked like she had mentally checked out.

His heart ached for her. Throughout his long and often painful career, he had gone through his share of these stretches. There were days when the loss of life weighed heavier on one's shoulders than other days. Sometimes these days would stretch into weeks, but hopefully they wouldn't linger for too long. Tycho wasn't worried about her staying in such a rut, Syal was too headstrong for that. He was merely concerned that, in the short term, it would hamper her ability to lead and function.

Those concerns evaporated the instant word trickled back that she was on her way back to the embassy with Cerulo in custody. Itt felt almost as if someone had removed a vice from Tycho's chest. For the first time in hours he could breathe properly. Perhaps Wes and Hobbie were right. He had been worrying too much. Shaking his head, he stepped onto the repulsorlift and depressed a button for one of the basement levels.

"So," Tycho said, finally breaking the silence. "How's Inyri, Wes?"

Wes cast a sideways glance at him. "She's fine. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, no reason, just wanted to see if you were still together."

Hobbie chuckled. "Remember that time you two lost a bet and she had to legally change her name to Inyri Forge-Janson for a year? Everyone thought you two were married."

"Even Wedge fell for it," Wes grinned.

"How long would you say you've been together now?" Tycho asked.

"We're not together together," Wes protested. "We just live in the same place. And sleep in the same bed. And often attend the same social functions."

"Together," Ho

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW another explosive update ending in a cliffhanger.

Loved the action and Syal trying to save all=D==D=

But what's happening to her[face_worried]:eek:

20. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Holy screaming Yodas! That was intense!

Syal... Girl, you break my heart.

And poor Tycho, how he must be feeling. And Wes and Hobbie... and Doran... All the Rogues.

I could really feel it... All the panic, all the pain. The relief, and then the fear...

Wow Lane. Just wow.

21. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    :eek:

WOW, Lane! That was intense.

I'm very curious to know what you'll present us with the sequel.

22. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Syal absolutely has to do what she needs to in order to ensure the safety of her squadron, but repurcussions? Definitely possible.

*gulp*

Syal mad. Syal smash.

[face_laugh]

The sequel to this fic, Rakehell Squadron, is currently being outlined. I'm hoping to be in position to start posting it in October or sooner!

Aw, sad to see this one ending, but I?m also glad because it means things will wrap up. And yay! Definitely keep me on the PM list for that :D

Chapter Nineteen - Punch Out

Every now and then Hobbie or Wes would break the silence to try and reassure him that everything was fine

Oh yeah, ?cause I?m sure he believes that. :rolleyes:

"So," Tycho said, finally breaking the silence. "How's Inyri, Wes?"

Wes cast a sideways glance at him. "She's fine. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, no reason, just wanted to see if you were still together."

[face_laugh] Oh I love it. Just?something to talk about. :)

Wes held up his hands. "Wait. You two bet on Inyri and me getting married?"

?And he?s SURPRISED by this?!

"Seems a little friendlier than 'hostile interrogation.'"

Uh, yeah, just a tad :p

It was never about doing what was right for the slaves, it was about revenge."

I like his hypothesis.

Tycho leaned forward. "So tell me this, President. Who's paying you to sell out your own planet?"

Mwahahaha Cridmeen is definitely not fooling them.

Three years into her life as a Jedi and she couldn't take it anymore. All the rules, the expected behavior. The infighting within the Council and the ranks of the Knights. The power play between Hamner and Daala. Skywalker's exile. It all stacked up and weighed heavily on her.

It makes me feel bad for her, for all of them. Sure, it was naïve of her to think everything would be all wonderful, but I don?t blame her for not expecting?all of THAT. The infighting gives me a headache when I read of it, and of course, don?t get us all started on Daala. Hamner doesn?t know what he?s doing, and the rules never work out/always have loopholes.

She was taken aback. Karrde would hire her back on if she wanted to rejoin the organization?

He knows good stock when he sees it.

Kess wasn't about to go back on her word to Major Antilles, not after she had taken such a risk in welcoming her back to the Rogues.

:D I really do like her. She?s grown a lot; it?s great to see.

Sidearms were prohibited on these levels, save for the guard weaponry. That meant Hobbie and Wes were unarmed as well.

Well now, that could be a problem.

Or not, if Kess comes around ;)

Syal finally spoke up. "Uncle Tycho, I hate to ask you this because Aunt Winter is going to kill me.

*cackles evilly*

Who was going to pay for killing her pilots?

Yikes, bad way to think.

"Promise me," he said, grabbing her hand and forcing her to look at him. "Promise me you'll talk to me if something is wrong."

I love him. Oh I wish she would talk to him. I mean, now?s a bad time, but I hope she does.

I love that Hobbie?s Bugbite. I don?t get it, but I still find it hilarious.

It had been a long time since she had last tangled with a capitol ship, but Syal knew there was really only one thing to remember: keep moving.

That is a very good thing to remember.

"What do you mean shrapnel took out firing controls? How could I have ..."

Oh. Bad.
    I?m glad she broke herself away from the numbness. That would be VERY BAD at this point.

She was never going to let anyone down again.

Stupid suicidal thoughts. As if she let them down to begin with.

The last thing Syal recalled before being engulfed in blackness was a brief moment of blinding pain as a large piece of broken hull slammed into her skull.

OUCH!!!!

That was a longer-than-usual chapter! A lot went on. I don?t think you?ll kill Syal ? I?m not worried about that at all. However, skull damage doesn?t sound like fun. :(

23. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Ch. 19

To say the walk to the holding cell was tense would have been a bit of an understatement.

You like this wording. :D

This time all he could do was sit back and hope for the best. There weren't even audio or holovideo feeds he could monitor, for Syal had made the decision to operate under a strict communication blackout as a security precaution. It put Tycho into a difficult situation. On the one hand, he wanted nothing more than to watch over his best friend's daughter to ensure her safety. On the other, he respected Syal the Alliance officer. Now that this was a military operation, he had to yield to her discretion and wisdom. She was the ranking officer.

Yeah, that?s gotta be rough.

Tycho wasn't worried about her staying in such a rut, Syal was too headstrong for that.

Oh. If only that were true.

OMG. The whole Wes/Inyri conversation was just hysterical.

Hobbie chuckled. "Remember that time you two lost a bet and she had to legally change her name to Inyri Forge-Janson for a year? Everyone thought you two were married."

BWAHAHAHA. Did that ?cause she showed up in later books, huh? ;)

"We're not together together," Wes protested. "We just live in the same place. And sleep in the same bed. And often attend the same social functions."

"Together," Hobbie added.

"And sometimes we do other things, like-"

"Dear Force, stop!?

Seriously, my sides are hurting!

The lift finally came to a halt, doors opening and allowing them to disembark. Tycho looked over his shoulder. "Don't act so indignant. Remember how many dating and marriage betting pools you started up?"

Allow me?

PLOOOOOOOMAAAAA!!!!!

"Absolutely," Wes followed up. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a credcoin, tossing it to Syal. "Go buy yourself a fruit fizz, squirt. You've earned it."

Syal caught the coin and shook her head before walking away from them. "Thanks, Uncle Wes."

Oh, that?s adorable.

But she really needs some Whyren?s.

"Seems a little friendlier than 'hostile interrogation."

Or aggressive negotiations!

Tycho leaned forward. "So tell me this, President. Who's paying you to sell out your own planet?"

A good question, indeed!

Kess winced. It had been nearly a half-decade, but that particular memory still felt fresh. She had been so excited with the prospect of joining the Jedi Order and leaving the grueling life of information brokering behind that she burned her bridges with Karrde in spectacularly rude fashion. Her former employer didn't want her to leave, but she had already made up her mind. She wasn't going to play the role of a pretender anymore, Kess was going to go to the Academy and then make a name for herself. There was no way she would return to work for the information broker and smuggler again

Oh, Kess. You really didn?t know Karrde?s history very well, did you? He really wouldn?t have protested that badly. He respects the Jedi.

Three years into her life as a Jedi and she couldn't take it anymore.

Hey Kess, I would like to introduce you to a nice lady named Ma?

OH WAIT, I CAN?T. BECAUSE SHE?S DEAD.

Jamee Farlander alone provided twice the entertainment of the entire Jedi Order put together.

::puts this in my pocket::

"I can tell you what they're up to," Hobbie said, pointing towards the table. "They're erasing evidence."

Tycho stood and looked back to their captives. Immediately, his stomach dropped. Cerulo and Cridmeen were dead, both killed by a well placed blaster bolt to the forehead.

:eek: I was not expecting that!

Syal only managed to offer a sheepish smile. "If it's any consolation, I always thought you three looked rather fetching in flight suits."

Heee!!

A task that she normally could complete without so much as a thought was confounding her because she was so distracted.

I don?t think this is going to go very well.

"You're worrying too much, Tainer," Syal said

24. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    earlybird - Bit of a nasty cliffhanger to leave you all on, isn't it? Syal's fate will be revealed in the next post!

Kat

Holy screaming Yodas! That was intense!

I've never quite written a chapter that featured that much action back to back to back. Twas rather fun!

Syal... Girl, you break my heart.

What you're seeing is a woman who's completely lost the will to keep moving forward. Poor Syal :(

I could really feel it... All the panic, all the pain. The relief, and then the fear...

And sadly, it's not over yet :(

Hazel - I just started outlining the chapters for the next fic. I'm getting real excited to write it!

SWpants666

Aw, sad to see this one ending, but I?m also glad because it means things will wrap up. And yay! Definitely keep me on the PM list for that

Will do! Going to be a few months before I'm ready to start posting, and I'm seeing what I can do to cut down on the time between fics. I might go to a once-a-week posting schedule just to keep a buffer lasting longer.

Oh yeah, ?cause I?m sure he believes that.

On the one hand, she's a capable military officer in her own right. On the other, Wedge's little girl.

?And he?s SURPRISED by this?!

Wes, of all people, really shouldn't be :D

I like his hypothesis.

Those Rogue vets. Always quick on the uptake!

Mwahahaha Cridmeen is definitely not fooling them.

You've got to be way more clever to fool Tycho

It makes me feel bad for her, for all of them. Sure, it was naïve of her to think everything would be all wonderful, but I don?t blame her for not expecting?all of THAT. The infighting gives me a headache when I read of it, and of course, don?t get us all started on Daala. Hamner doesn?t know what he?s doing, and the rules never work out/always have loopholes.

I think, though, Kess is a girl who's just not happy sitting in one place for very long. She's always been on the move and just doesn't seem to want to settle down. It doesn't help that all of the infighting with the Order happened, that just gave her a reason to justify leaving.

He knows good stock when he sees it.

Karrde definitely is an excellent talent evaluator :D

I really do like her. She?s grown a lot; it?s great to see.

She's made some big strides, and it's pretty clear that Syal has earned her loyalty through and through.

I love him. Oh I wish she would talk to him. I mean, now?s a bad time, but I hope she does.

At this point, Syal just needs to talk to SOMEONE

I love that Hobbie?s Bugbite. I don?t get it, but I still find it hilarious.

It's sort of a Noodle Incident. Hobbie says that some of his friends call him Bugbite in the comics, but no explanation is ever given.

Oh. Bad.
    I?m glad she broke herself away from the numbness. That would be VERY BAD at this point.

A bit of lucidity at the right moment, but not quite quick enough.

Stupid suicidal thoughts. As if she let them down to begin with.

Survivor syndrome, some PTSD. A bad combo :(

That was a longer-than-usual chapter! A lot went on. I don?t think you?ll kill Syal ? I?m not worried about that at all. However, skull damage doesn?t sound like fun.

Kill her, probably not. I still need her for a third fic! But there will be some negative aftermath :(

Nanci

Yeah, that?s gotta be rough.

Just a touch :(

OMG. The whole Wes/Inyri conversation was just hysterical.

After so much srs bsns going on, I needed a bit of levity. That seemed like a good way to do it :D

BWAHAHAHA. Did that ?cause she showed up in later books, huh?

She actually didn't! I put that whole retcon in because I thought Wes might show up in Conviction. From what I understand, he doesn't *grumble*

PLOOOOOOOMAAAAA!!!!!

PLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Oh, that?s adorable.

But she really needs some Whyren?s.

And lots of it :(

Or aggressive negotiations!

That works too :D

Oh, Kess. You really didn?t know Karrde?s history very wel

25. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    Chapter Twenty - Blame

Syal was vaguely aware that she was surrounded by something slightly viscous.

And moderately warm.

But it tasted awful.

Taste aside, it was rather relaxing. Almost comforting if she were to be honest. It was almost as if she were suspended in the vacuum of space. Was she floating out in hard vacuum? The sensation was right, but everything else was off. She wasn't wearing her bulky, pressurized flightsuit. She wasn't cold. Just where was she? Tentatively she moved an arm and felt a bit of resistance, reinforcing that she was completely enveloped by sort of fluid. That was disconcerting, how was she breathing? Idly she realized that there was something jammed into her mouth and clenched between her teeth, supplying precious oxygen to her lungs.

Now she was getting concerned.

Tentatively, she opened one eye. Almost immediately she closed it again as a flood of brightness slammed into her. It took several attempts to finally adjust to the rather unwelcome intrusion of light, but finally she managed to take a good look at her surroundings. Everything was cast in a pinkish hue. Beyond her, Syal could see the distorted image of a human female. She strained her eyes to make out more details, but her vision didn't clear.

Slowly, she reached forward towards the woman in front of her but was started to feel her hand press up against a cool barrier. Curious, she continued to feel around her surroundings. The transparent wall extended around her in a circle, giving her about a half-meter of space on all sides. Syal looked back to the woman on the other side, who now appeared to be pointing upwards. Her stomach fell as realization finally hit her.

She was in a bacta tank.

A momentary wave of panic set in as she kicked and flailed to reach the surface. Her hands found purchase on the edge of the tank and she hauled herself out of the fluid. Spitting the breathing apparatus out, Syal gasped for a lungful of fresh, non-recycled air. She tried to lift herself out of the tank but couldn't muster up the strength. Worse, the exertion of that simple act caused the room to spin. She felt her stomach retch. Mercifully, she managed to spare herself the indignity of throwing up over the side of the tank.

Her memory after that point was shaky. Syal barely recognized the pair of hands that hauled her out of the tank and onto a stretcher, nor did she recall being thrown into a hot shower to wash the sticky fluid off of her body. She recalled several distinct instances where she was being escorted through some sort of medical facility. At one point she looked out a window to see a cloud-covered Coruscant skyline. Her next conscious memory was being lifted off a repulsorlift chair and into a bed.

When her eyes opened again, she found herself looking at the ceiling of a well lit, sterile, but oddly pleasant hospital room. Syal could make out the murmuring of voices in the distance while nearby various medical devices hummed away. Wincing, she slowly lifted herself into a sitting position, pressing her back against the wall behind her for support. The murmuring in the distance suddenly stopped. The door on the opposite side of the room opened and an oddly pinkish blur streaked towards her. Before Syal could so much as flinch, a pair of arms were wrapped around her neck and shoulders.

"If you ever do that again, I'm going to kill you," Myri said. "I mean it. I will kill you. Don't ever scare me like that again."

Syal could only blink in confusion as she stared at her sister. while her mind turned to try and formulate something to say, the door slid open once more. Her parents burst through and were by her side nearly as quickly as Myri. A flurry of questions were promptly directed at her, three voices simultaneously asking her if she was okay, if she was hurting anywhere, if she needed a pillow, if she was hungry. Before long the barrage became overwhelming, forcing Syal to raise up her hands and gently push her family away just for a bit of breathing room.

Taking a deep breath, she glanced from

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.