main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub X-wing Series Fan Club: Home of the Dancing Gamorrean

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi-Knight-Corran, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't know. (Brief pause while the shocked gasps fade away. :eek:)

My best guess is that something potentially dangerous is embedded in the canopy. Could be electrical heating elements to defog the canopy, like the wires on your car's rear window defogger. Or it could be lightweight explosives like det cord, to blow the canopy off when the pilot ejects.

2. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Sure that makes sense. Wow I stumped you. I better log this one. [face_dancing]

The Real Kyp Durron and Sarge like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  4. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Great article! II laughed so hard.

I was on the USS Missouri in Astoria Oregon prior to it being towed to Pearl Harbor in the late 90s. Left an impression

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I took a tour of Missouri's sister ship USS Wisconsin years ago. As I was walking the decks, I felt like I could sense how thick the steel armor was, and it felt weird for that much steel to float.

And here's a Valentine's Day story that makes my heart warm:
    14 February 1991: An unusual incident occurred during Desert Storm, when Captains Tim Bennett and Dan Bakke, United States Air Force, flying the airplane in the above photograph, McDonnell Douglas F-15E-47-MC Strike Eagle, 89-0487, used a 2,000-pound (907.2 kilogram) GBU-10 Paveway II laser-guided bomb to “shoot down” an Iraqi Mil Mi-24 Hind attack helicopter. This airplane is still in service with the Air Force, and on 16 August 2016 logged its 12,000th flight hour.
    Captain Bennett (Pilot) and Captain Bakke (Weapons Systems Officer) were leading a two-ship flight on a anti-Scud missile patrol, waiting for a target to be assigned by their Boeing E-3 AWACS controller. 89-0487 was armed with four laser-guided GBU-10 bombs and four AIM-9 Sidewinder heat-seeking air-to-air missiles. Their wingman was carrying twelve Mk. 82 500-pound (227 kilogram) bombs.
    The AWACS controller called Bennett’s flight and told them that a Special Forces team on the ground searching for Scud launching sites had been located by Iraqi forces and was in need of help. They headed in from 50 miles (80.5 kilometers) away, descending though 12,000 feet (3,658 meters) of clouds as the went. They came out of the clouds at 2,500 feet (762 meters), 15–20 miles (24– 32 kilometers) from the Special Forces team.
    With the Strike Eagle’s infrared targeting pod, they picked up five helicopters on the ground and identified them as enemy Mi-24s. It appeared that the helicopters were going to drive the U.S. soldiers into a waiting Iraqi blocking force.
    Their Strike Eagle was inbound at 600 knots (1,111 kilometers per hour) and both the FLIR (infrared) targeting pod and search radar were locked on to the Iraqi helicopters. Dan Bakke aimed the laser targeting designator at the lead helicopter preparing to drop a GBU-10 while Tim Bennett was getting a Sidewinder missile ready to fire. At four miles (6.44 kilometers) they released the GBU-10.
    At this time, the enemy helicopter, which had been either on the ground or in a hover, began to accelerate and climb. The Eagle’s radar showed the helicopter’s ground speed at 100 knots. Bakke struggled to keep the laser designator on the fast-moving target. Bennett was about to fire the Sidewinder at the helicopter when the 2,000-pound (907.2 kilogram) bomb hit and detonated. The helicopter ceased to exist. The other four helicopters scattered.
    Soon after, additional fighter bombers arrived to defend the U.S. Special Forces team. They were later extracted and were able to confirm the Strike Eagle’s kill.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  6. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Wonders is @Sarge is getting ideas for our plan from all this........

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  8. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    Trying to still stay optimistic about Wars these days. Would this be the thread to drop in a new fan-cast for the X-Wing series? Or would that be a derail?

9. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'd love to see an updated fancast, since TROS I've gotten three friends to read the X-wing series so I'm thrilled :p

The Real Kyp Durron and Sarge like this.
  10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    WHAT!?? A thread on the boards being rerailed?! What do you think we are? :eek:

Heathens!!?!?!!?? You'd be right. Chances are pretty slim that it wouldn't get derailed as the Black Sheep RPG use this thread. Best speak to @Bardan_Jusik ;)

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I don't think it would be a derail. A sidetrack from the Black Sheep maybe, but I can multi task. But we can dream...if Disney makes X-wing: the TV series...

I'm terrible at fancasting.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  12. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    FAN GIRL MOMENT!!!
    [face_tee_hee]:xwing::xwing:

The Real Kyp Durron likes this.
  13. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I've no issues with it, not a derail more of a fun sidetrack. Folks can multitask. We do it for the GoL thread all the time between tasks, RPG talk and the Jedi pondering the meaning of their own belly button lint. :p

14. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, it was the X-wing thread before it was the Black Sheep thread. So maybe we're re-railing it?

So, are we setting fancasting rules? Can we do de-aging? Or do we have to replace Denis as Wedge? :(

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    On a related theme, have any of our players thought about which actor will play their character when the Black Sheep movie is filmed?

16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    It will be the most expensive movie...

17. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Ethan is Viggo Mortensen:

[​IMG]

18. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I love other people's fancasts but I'm useless at them myself. No good with faces.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If we have access to a time machine, Basil Rathbone or David Niven can play Kayn. If not, I'll settle for Antonio Banderas.

20. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    The woman in my avatar, that represents Lou, was a stunt woman for numerous films and was used in Rogue One so I'll stick with her. Here is a front view.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I've thought about it but haven't quiiiiiite figured out who yet.

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    [​IMG]

Katherine McNamara Would work for Amber I think. Eyes need to be more green :p Gotta work Kayn over with them! LOL

23. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Contact lenses. Actresses use them all the time. Done & dusted! :D

24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    [​IMG]

Look we are beautiful Souls!!!

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998