main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub X-wing Series Fan Club: Home of the Dancing Gamorrean

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi-Knight-Corran, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Quotes by an Air Force pilot (judging by the F-35A footer) and then with an image of a US Navy Tomcat... I know you didn't put it together, and it's nitpicking on my part, but really, couldn't they have put a Lightning II on there? :p

The rest of it is awesome though.

Edit: oh and no need for anyone to respond to my post there in the game. It's just a little teaser of what we can expect in my update next week. Guess it's a good thing the Black Sheep won't be going directly back to the Intrepid and so will be using a different jump point...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  2. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    So, I first read the X-wing novels when they were first published (I can remember getting each one as they appeared at the local bookstore... how times have changed). Frankly I was probably a little too young to read them. Wedge had been my favorite character from the first time I saw Star Wars (odd how I came out of that movie liking "the other X-wing pilot who survived" and Obi-Wan Kenobi the most).

About a year ago I re-read them as part of my quarantine routine; I started by listening to the Thrawn Trilogy audiobooks (the new ones, narrated by Mark Thompson, which are spectacular good), and decided to review the rest of the old EU. The Allston Wraith Squadron books in particular are really great, but I like the Stackpole books almost as much (with the exception of Wedge's Gamble, which just has too many coincidences in it for my taste. Coruscant is a big planet.) It really rejuvenated my love of Star Wars, which had been pretty well slain by Disney. So many good characters! It's really amazing how Allston manages to give you a feel for so many different characters so quickly (unlike Stackpole; you can predict well in advance which characters are going to die by the number of adjectives you can use to describe them. If it's less than 2, they're going to die.)

That led me back to the old 90s Stackpole comics, which are also great... ahh, the late-90s, when they just let Zahn, Stackpole, and Allston sort of do their own thing, in a tiny Star Wars bubble universe. It's really great.

3. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I have never tried the audio books, definitely on my list of things to try out. I hear they are pretty good, is it true you get like combat sounds and stuff as well? If so that is awesome.

If I get quarantined I plan on doing a Star Wars movie marathon and reading at least three books and completing at least one game :p So far my only quarantine was cancelled after day one so I barely made it to Episode II and it was over.

EDIT: Bardan, I was about to point that out in hopes of saving the Black Sheep, glad to see you already know the flaw in the plan when the pilots go rogue! :D

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  4. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I have all the audio books and I've listened to some of them. They are abridged so I am sure I miss some of the good stuff. ;) I read the series years ago and I keep buying books, but not reading them! :p

darthbernael likes this.
  5. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    Oh no! So, the Thrawn Trilogy has actually been recorded twice, once ages ago close to its original release, and once more recently (I think for the 20th or 25th anniversary). The re-release is not abridged, and it comes with music at scene transitions and background sound effects and combat sound effects. Plus Mark Thompson gives everyone their own voice: when he talks you know who is Han, Luke, Karrde, Thrawn, etc. by his narration alone. (It's actually helped me in writing my post-TLC fanfiction, because I can hear Karrde's voice, and think about his intonations, etc.)

You can listen to a sample here.

Seriously, if you're looking to renew your memories of the original Thrawn Trilogy, the audiobooks are most definitely worth it. I'd love to have the X-wing novels re-recorded by Thompson, but sadly it's never going to happen.

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I have them on 6 Cassette tapes, yes, I am that old! :eek:

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Fuelling Max's suspicions further...and what if we finished and jumped BEFORE they showed up? Heh, heh, heh... Max needs to run an idea past @The Real Kyp Durron and Kayn when we get back.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Apparently, Intrepid's leak is not one of us, but someone who only knows about our assigned mission. Unless it is one of us who decided to keep the extracurricular activity to him/her/itself in order to divert suspicion... [face_thinking] [face_dunno]

9. The Real Kyp Durron

The Real Kyp Durron Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2018
    You have my attention.

10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I've always thought the leak was high up, as they know our movements. Except the next one...........they expect us to zig, we're gonna zag! :p

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

12. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
  13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Hey, a individual ship for KAYN!!! Nice Job there @SnubJockey !!! You should join us, we need a good snubjockey! ;)

darthbernael likes this.
  14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Double posting I know, but I can't edit the image in. This is Kayns new ship....

R-41 Starchaser Body with Storm Engines!!

upload_2020-11-27_14-51-16.png

upload_2020-11-27_14-53-38.png

Oh, this is awesome............and slightly weird :p

Try it everyone, build your own UGLY!!

upload_2020-11-27_14-54-58.png

X Wing body and engines with Howlrunner engines overlaid...........yeah Baby!! :p

darthbernael likes this.
  15. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    [​IMG]
    The best of two worlds

16. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    TCW Z-95 with Naboo engines.
    [​IMG]

Model: Toscan / Z-95 Atmospheric Ugly
    [​IMG]

@Adalia-Durron: Not much of an RP-er but I'd be interested to learn more about how/where y'all play.

17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I never thought I was, but I do love it. We are 'The Black Sheep.' and we've been at it for over three years! :eek: BUT having said that, the cast has changed in and out as people play for a while then move away, you don't have to read back, you just jump in and Force Knows we need good pilots.........NEED them :p By all means, read, ask questions, talk to anyone who is playing as you will see how easy it is. ;) I know we'd love to have you, I sense you have the knowledge of Starfighters we could use. ;) Am I right @SnubJockey ?

18. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    [​IMG]

Delta-7 Aethersprite / ETA-2 Actis / Sith Interceptor

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  19. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Give it time. We have to get back from SonTay. Might need Kayn, too.

*Jedihandwaveythingy to @SnubJockey* Join ussss....You know you WAAAANT to..... [face_devil]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  20. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Wait!?!?! You can do that?? :eek: Teach me! :p

darthbernael likes this.
  21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I can DO it...doesn't mean it actually WORKS! :p

22. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Sorry, double post, but I just saw the news...

RIP DAVID PROWSE. @};-:vader:@};- Thank you for bringing menace to GFFA for our enjoyment.

Sarge and darthbernael like this.
  23. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yes, they said after a short battle with a sudden illness. A Stroke, heart attack or worse, Covid :( RIP David

Sarge and darthbernael like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    His Vader body language defined intimidating movements. A true performance artist.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Rebecca_Daniels , thanks for the suggestion, now we have a new goal to strive for. [face_laugh]

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.