main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub X-wing Series Fan Club: Home of the Dancing Gamorrean

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi-Knight-Corran, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    (As a flight engineer, I was directly in the middle between the navigator and the pilot. Maybe that's why they issued me a kevlar vest.)

[​IMG]

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    But can the navigator fly the plane?

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Most navs have enough training that they could likely get the plane home and put it on the ground, probably not smoothly, but good enough to walk away when it stops. I could have done that, and engineers usually get less pilot training than navs.

And, almost totally unrelated, if there's anyone who hasn't seen this in all the other threads where I've posted it, I'm trying to milk my 15 minutes of fame for all its worth.
    I got my picture and an article about me on the front page of the local newspaper. Here's a link to the online version: Prayers, planes go hand in hand | The Bridgton News

4. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Hrm actually, you've got those single-seat planes where obviously the pilot has to do all the navigating himself. So having a navigator isn't strictly a necessity, right? I guess he's just there to reduce the pilot's workload?

While we're at it...these days we're talking about unmanned bombers. So does that mean we can just dispense with the entire crew?

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Drones are getting better, but nobody in their right mind is willing to turn an AI loose with lethal weaponry and no human in the loop. We'd need either an AI that was absolutely trustworthy, or a human operated remote control system with zero possibility of being hacked. I don't foresee either of those in the immediate future.

I remember one day in Iraq, we were returning to base after a mission and traffic control suddenly put everybody in holding patterns, nobody was allowed near the base. We assumed it was another mortar attack from insurgents on the ground, we got those pretty often. Eventually we were cleared in and allowed to land, and we asked the people on the ground about the attack, but there hadn't been anything like that. It turned out that somebody had lost contact with a drone and it was lost, roaming free somewhere near the base with a Hellfire missile on board. An F-16 finally found it and shot it down.

So, I don't have much trust in drones.

6. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    I don't trust SkyNet one bit! Neither should you! By the way great article @Sarge!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  7. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Wowsers @Sarge - That's a bit scary. Yes, let's not trust the AI just yet.......then again some humans are in that same boat.

8. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I read a few accounts of the recent Armenia-Azerbaijan war which stated that drones were decisive...so I imagine we'll be getting a lot more Skynet.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  9. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yikes................kinda glad I live at the bottom of the planet!!

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, that's how I feel about self-driving cars. I don't trust them at all. OTOH, there are a lot of drivers on the road that are even more dangerous. We'd all be so much safer if everyone was as good a driver as I am. :)

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    My only issue is I tend to get faster as I sing...............slow song, good driving...........heavy metal..........yeah... [face_blush]

12. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Fixed that for you. We've all seen what you drive and there's nothing slow about it :p

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Falls over laughing.

@Vehn - you are a Legend, said what I was thinking!!!!

14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    A good friend of mine is waiting for them! She wants to be able to program the car and then sit back & read a book. Hates driving. I don't trust them either, because the best self-driving car can only do so much in re: other idiots on the road.

Yeah...soundtracks I don't let myself listen to in the car...Top Gun, James Bond, Death Star trench run from ANH...

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    LMAO!! I hear you..............so clearly.

I can't imagine telling a cop 'Sorry, the music got faster, so I did' :p

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm sort of embarrassed to admit how much I laughed at this.

Sinre EDIT

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2021
    Vehn and Alpha-Red like this.
  17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    o_O
    Decides to bite her tongue on the obvious sexism on this - contemplates the line....

Vehn, darthbernael and Alpha-Red like this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Let’s not, can we? We don’t need to lower the tone…

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Apologies, I did not mean to offend.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
  22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Ok, over 4.5 hours later so not double posting. A shelf in my robe collapsed and I started cleaning up and found these!!!

upload_2021-12-2_22-50-16.png
    upload_2021-12-2_22-50-49.png

I have two new T Shirts.

Alpha-Red, Sarge, Vehn and 1 other person like this.
  23. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    LOL! I've been cleaning & clearing and have found all sorts of stuff I forgot I owned. None of it Star Wars, though. Congrats!

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    :_| Bryan with a 'y' of Just Plane Silly, funniest pilot on youtube, has sold his 'tiny little Grumman.' Let us all pause for a moment of silence. OK, that was long enough.

darthbernael likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sierra Hotel Weekend Weather Forecast - Severe Clear with a high probability of localized Cumulobadass and associated embedded transonic aluminum wind shear

[​IMG]

darthbernael and Alpha-Red like this.