main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Xbox 360|PC] Bioshock *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarkPrince, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Not bad for a fps but I beat the final boss on my first try and that usually doesn't happen to me. I was wondering about something though:

****************Spoiler Alert!***********************

What is happpening with Andrew Ryan at the end? He seems to make you kill him and I'm not sure why he lets it happen...

2. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Edit: I'm a moron

Andrew Ryan lets you kill him because he is a man and you are a slave. As a man, he has freewill and uses it to prove a point by letting himself be killed. Since you are a slave, you have to kill him even though you don't know why, and that makes him better than you - even though he's dead and you're not.

3. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Ah, I gotcha.

Though he might've made his point just as effectively (or more) had he made the player kill himself instead.

4. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I think he wanted martyrdom, and/or he didn't have the same power over you Atlas had.

5. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    So, question.... the general population didn't know Atlas = Fontaine? Because in my second playthrough the crazy old man in Neptunes Bounty seemed like a friend of atlas but an enemy of Fontaine...

6. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    The general population know nothing of the sort - they all believe that Fontaine is dead, and Atlas is a revoloutionary. Have you found all of Dianne McClintock's audio diaries - these diaries show the belief of most people in Rapture in the sharpest way possible IMO.

7. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Does anyone have any thoughts as to the game's time frame in relation to Fontaine's New Year's Eve splicer attack? Does the game start a few weeks, a few months, or some other length of time after the attack? I never really found any clues in the audio logs, except for Diane McClintock getting out of the hospital.

8. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    A rough time line I have pieced together through various sources.

1945 - End of WW2

1946 - An industrialist by the name of Andrew Ryan, disillusioned at the post War world, begins construction of Rapture, a underwater Utopia built in the heart of the Atlantic Ocean which is completely self reliant - with all of its electricity, food production, water purification and defense systems powered by undersea volcanic openings.

1950-53 - Rapture now has a population of several thousand of the best minds on off, and a stable economy.

1953-55 - Bridgette Tenenbaum discovers ADAM (A pure form of Stem Cells) after a war veteran who was fishing is bitten by a sea slug, and finds his hands have grown back in the morning. Frank Fontaine - head of Fontaine Futuristics sees this as a goldmine, and pays Dr. Tenebaum and Dr. Suchong to find a way off mass producing Adam

1954-55 - The research results in the Little Sister - a child with the sea slug placed in there stomach, who is mentally conditioned to see dead people as angels - using a hypodermic syringe they extract ADAM from the dead, and process it in their own bodies - producing 30 times more ADAM than the sea slug. To protect the Little Sisters - known as gatherers - Adult Humans are genetically modified to become Big Daddys - they will attack anyone/thing that attacks or threatens the Little Sister or themselves.

1956 - The invention of ADAM revolutionizes Rapture - as the population begin to genetically modify themselves anything becomes possible - plasmids allow for the normal man or woman to have abilities last seen in comic books - the ability to ignite anything, the ability to fire electricity from their fingertips are just 2 of the many examples.

1957 - Plasmids turn out to be a curse, with serious side affects. The widespread use of ADAM caused many people to go mad, and end up as 'splicers'.

1957/58 - A bloody civil begins between Frank Fontaine of Fontaine Futuristics, and Andrew Ryan, the founder of Rapture. The conflict ends with the death of Fontaine and his thugs in a fiery shoot out, in the first few months of 1958. The sale of Plasmids has increased in this time as fear of another war grows.

1959 - Months after the civil war, Society collapsed as Fontaine's splicers suddenly attack on New Years Eve 1959, razing the population. A few individuals such as Andrew Ryan, and Bridgette Tenebaum survive by locking themselves away from attack. A mysterious figure known as 'Atlas' appears - and the 'Lesser people of Rapture' begin to rally around him as a figure for revolution. Atlas has become someone to look up to, with many preferring to support him rather than Ryan, who has become reclusive. Another war starts as Atlas' squads begin hit and run squads on Ryan's goons, stealing ADAM and weapons. What little of society that was left is destroyed.

Mid 1960 - Jack (The player) arrives in Rapture

Please feel free to point out any incostincies, as this is just a rough timeline, nothing more, nothing less.

9. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    So i just bought this game and installed it twice trying to make it work. I have a new laptop with pretty high end specs. However, everytime i get past the opening sequence when you press new game, the game crashes. Right after the plane crash. Every single time. I lowered all settings, and still same thing. So i checked on the forums for the game, and there are many many others with the same system specs as me that are having the same exact problem, so im thinking that I will not be able to play this damned game until they make a new patch. Its fricken annoying because i payed 50 bucks for it and have to wait like 2 hours because im on a crappy internet connection and it has to download the patches and everything every time i install it and theres nothing i can do to make it work. Angry.

10. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    I got the bad ending. [face_devil]

Actually, I was rescuing most and harvested some.

11. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    If you harvest more than one little sister, you get the bad ending (however, if you harvest most of the LS, Tannenbaum's tone during her final speech to you will be angry rather than sad). The opposite is also true for the good ending.

12. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    This is possibly the most amazing game I've ever played. =P~

Please beware of spoilers in this kinda "review".

It has an unreached atmosphere and a so compelling, awesomely-done story nearly any other game out there could take a leaf out of. The stunning graphics and grandiose 5.1 Dolby Digital sound and soundtrack is only a nice side effect (I'm playing on full details on a second rate PC, and I still can't believe it looks that good with a totally smooth framerate).

It has one of the most jaw-dropping scenes in game history, the one where you reach Ryan's office and you are revealed the truth about Atlas and frankly, yourself, the player. Ryan's "sacrifice" gave me troubles closing my mouth again after minutes, and the revelation was so unbelievably great that I reloaded the last savegame to "watch" it again, to take it in completely. That scene alone makes Bioshock a must-play, and although spoilers are allowed in this thread, I would ask everyone to hide spoilers to that scene like I did, with black-"highlighting". Knowing that before playing the game would ruin the experience badly.

However, there isn't only praise lost for Bioshock. The beforementioned scene takes place at about 3/4ths of the game, and they should've ended it there. While the randomly swapping plasmids and becoming a Big Daddy is a very great idea, the final fight itself, and both endings, were kinda underwhelming. Especially the fight again Fontaine was sucker, it's the average FPS boss enemy fast-food, as we've seen it in hundreds of games before. I would've hoped for a more original concept for confronting that guy. I've seen both endings, and for me, they aren't really giving the story a satisfying, concluding frame. It's too centered on the Little Sisters, I think, because there's so much more fascinating about Rapture than just them, and by the audio tapes alone, you're far from getting the whole picture. While especially the "not offering the whole picture" is probably one of the main design ideas behind Bioshock, as it makes the player turn on his brain for once and animates him to become proactive in building the story (something nearly no game has done before, and for which I'm more than thankful for because this hopefully makes "post-Bioshock" games regard proper storytelling more highly), I think the game is giving the player a little bit too much freedom in that direction. Even when you do manage to find and listen to all audio tapes in the game (I tried, but I think I only found about 90%), it still doesn't give you enough to know what is and was going on in Rapture. You get the general idea, but you can only imagine the details, and each player will have another impression of Rapture's past. But as I said before, exactly that was probably intended by the creators of the game, and (hopefully) not only because they want to use it as a cliffhanger to make more people buy a sequel. I think highly enough of the people behind Bioshock that they aren't looking only for profit, and really want get their game's story get into the minds of the players. But still, I feel a bit betrayed by the game, as it raises so many questions and doesn't offer a satisfying amount of answers to them, let alone and ending that only raises more questions. Yes, it is true that this adds a lot to the mystery of Rapture, but it's a little bit too much mystery in my opinion.

Another thing that I'd like to criticize is that all too often, Bioshock comes down to being like every other plain shooter out there. Yes, there are a lot of great, creepy shocker moments (with excellently applied scripted sequences), and there really are millions of ways to deal with a threat, but the farther you're into the game, the less different ways to deal with said threats you use. Once you've got enough plasmids, tonics and ammo, and found your personal best way to deal with splicers and Big Daddys, you won't experiment to find other solutions any more, like you had in the first few hours of the game. I, fo

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hate the ****ing security cameras and when I can't find a switch to turn the robots off.

14. Anakin_Sockwalker

Jun 11, 2005
    http://digitalunrestcomic.com/index.php?date=2007-08-20

15. LordKermit

LordKermit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2006
    so is this game worth buying? i want to get a new game this looked intresting but it looked like the target audience was a little young imo

16. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Research Houdini Splicers. The chameleon tonic is amazing for cameras. Bots on the loose? Stand still 'til they go away.

17. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    A little young? Explain yourself, please. It's a mature rated game with drug/sexual references, and lots of killing. There's no worrying about what Medicare plan to sign-up for or anything, though. So it's directed at adults but not senior citizens, and it's worth buying if you like FPS.

18. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    My co-workers convinced me not to get BioShock because they claimed I wouldn't like it. But now it looks awesome and I want to play it. :p

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    A friend of mine who is going through a game development schol and is an avid and rather particular game player said Bioshock is one of the best games he's ever played. I'll have to have a look at it next time I stop over.

20. Anakin_Sockwalker

Jun 11, 2005
    Yeah, if you really hate fun, then don't get it. :p

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The ending is way too short.

22. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Just finished it...

I actually saved all the Little Sisters throughout the game, so the ending reflected that.

23. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The backstory to the plot is infinitely more interesting than the what's actually going on in the game's present timeline.

And I still don't understand why Fontaine felt the need to ship his clone of Andrew Ryan elsewhere; it just seems silly that he wouldn't keep him secreted somewhere in Rapture, rather than having to rely on him to hijack and crash a plane in the middle of the Pacific, survive, and then manage to make the bathyspheres work.

If the game had ended quickly after the "Ryan/Golf Club" scene, I would have been a lot happier. As it was, the one quibble I was having with the game (the wealth of easily-defeatable enemies sapping the atmosphere) was made even more prominent by the last sections being absolutely loaded with enemies to kill.

I pity the screenwriter who has to try to make sense of this plot in the inevitable movie version. What a load of pointless bull**** to go through just to kill a guy.

That said, the plot falls completely on its face after the Atlas revelation, but the game is too much fun and plays too damn well for that to bother me.

24. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    [image=http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/Geektechboy/group3.jpg]

[face_laugh]
    [face_laugh]
    [face_laugh]

25. jediknightruthie

jediknightruthie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Just finished playing this game... thought the ending was rather abrupt and too open-ended. I rescued all of the little sisters, so I suppose I had a different ending than if I hadn't.

Still, I thought the game was fantastic both in story and gameplay. The range of plasmids they offered you in the game was enough so that you didn't have a hard time choosing which ones to use. My personal favourite was the Incinerate plasmid. Also thought that the 40's and 50's era of music they chose for the game was fantastic. I would and will most definitely play this game over again.

The thing that bothered me was that I heard they were possibly going to make a second game. I think this would ruin the game itself because I really don't think they could reinvent the story in a way that would make it new. The ending itself really doesn't allow for this either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.