main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto XBox vs PS2 vs GameCube

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Shaun, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Shaun

Darth_Shaun Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    Hey Guys!
    I am looking into picking up one of these fine new systems but I am really stuck on which one to get!
    I am leaning towards the PS2 but that XBox is awful tempting and I hear GameCube has Star Wars titles not released on the other systems! Is this true?
    If anybody knows their systems, please advise! Any info will help.
    Thanks

2. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Dude; You'll get varied opinions.

Truth is, X-Box is the best system out there.

But; That depends on your P.O.V.

The PS2 of course is the best for recycling old PS1 games and they got a good quality Dvd player, with good games on the rise.

Nintendo Cube as always gets the first load of Star Wars games. Been that way since the 90's.

Its tough.

When I get some spare cash, I'm going to the Gamecube, if just to enjoy those SW titles, and Robotech looks good too.

3. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'd suggest taking a look at sites like www.ign.com
    and check out the three systems pages to see what games they have. See what games interest you the most. Check for games that have been released and games that will be released. A really good Gamecube site is www.planetgamecube.com.

There should also be some buyers guides (watch for any bias) out there, with the holidays approaching.

I have a Gamecube, so far been happy with it. I would be happier if I had the money to buy the games I've been wanting (Eternal darkness, Star Fox Adventures, Bounty Hunter, Metroid Prime, Zelda (when it's released), etc.)

4. CranieAmidala

CranieAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2001
    Okay, first just cross GameCube off the list right away....
    XBox Vs. PS2, the big debate rages on...
    I just recently got an XBox.
    Same games really...but;
    1. Obi-Wan - Awesome lightsaber game.
    2. Halo Combat Evolved - Amazing first-person shooter.

Only difference with XBox, is that you can save music cd tracks on the system, and play them in the game, instead of the regular in-game music...

5. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, I'd cross the Xbox off personally. You might as well just send Microsoft another cheque, along with your first born child.

The PS2 is very dated now as far as system specs go (295mhz) but has a huge selection of games considering you can play PS one games. The Xbox boasts the most Mhz power (Intel 733), but the Gamecube has a PowerPC processor, which has faster throughput (approximately 2x faster - making the 485 closer to 970Mhz!)

The video on Xbox is a custom nVidia clocked at 250Mhz which can sustain 4 textures where the Gamecube's ATI video runs at 162Mhz but can support 8 textures at one time.

The few games that are available on all 3 systems apparently play identically in both performance and presentation. (course that was almost a year ago, with both Gamecube and Xbox, I'm sure the game designers have dug deeper into the distinct capabilities of the specific systems)

I've done my research and Nintendo will be getting my money, they have the games I want to play (Simpsons Road Rage!! Zelda, and the occasionaly SW title) As well I've discovered it supports Widescreen tv's so my projector is gonna be one freakin arcade! ;)

I'm not a huge gamer, so I'm sure other will have varing opinions. In all truth, I'd take Adam's suggestion and look into the games you want to play and choose for yourself.

6. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    Ken, the way you talk about computers and game consoles....

*Takes cold shower*

7. phalstar

phalstar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    personal opinion: Consoles=blah, computer=woohoo!

But if you just like arcadey type stuff, then consoles are probably the way to go (hell of a lot cheaper too).

Xbox is a wonderful system, but their game support sucks, many more titles for Gamecube, as Adam said, see what exactly you want to play.

8. Pissenlit

Pissenlit Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2001
    pc games = boo-urns!...console = Yay!:D

9. Jedi_Sheridan

Jedi_Sheridan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2001
    YAY NES!!! Never evolve is what I say...the primitive systems will forever be better then anything that they can create now. Though Grand Theft Auto looks quite cool after being intoxicated of unspeakable substances.

LONG LIVE THE NES!!!

10. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Well I've seen X-Box freeze too many times, and its Microsoft, so I won't buy it. Besides my favorite games are RPG's...Role Playing Games nor Rocket Propelled Grenades ;)

So PS2 all the way....Suikoden3, Wild Arms 3 *sigh!*

11. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    my experience in a house that has PS2 and Gamecube (no X-Box) is that if you think you're gonna be playing a lot of one player games and not specifically looking for the likes of metroid or star fox is that the PS2 is your best option, some may say X-Box but from what I've seen, almost anyting you can get on the X-Box you can get just as good or better on PS2, however if you're wanting to play multi-player games, Gamecube is totally the way to go, hours and hours have been wasted on the likes of smash bros and monkeyball and nintendo has by far the majority of cool multiplayer games, or at least until PS2 gets their internet setup going, and i'll be highly suspicious until i see that working really well. So I would say 1P PS2, multiP Gamecube, Paperweight XBox

12. Pissenlit

Pissenlit Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2001
    Monkeyball...LOL *shakes head*...

13. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    That's one expensive paperweight...could i use it as a door stop? A stepping block to reach things up high? A type of stair-master for exercise? An object meant to be used in the elimination of my enemies?

If I could use an xbox for one or more of those, I'm getting one!

14. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    The X-Box isn`t that bad, I`ve enjoyed playing Halo and Blade 2 with the brood, I just find that controller annoying...

And that Dvd remote requirement is a serious turn off too.

The more you guys debate, the more I want a gamecube....

15. Darth_Shaun

Darth_Shaun Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    Wow, lots of input. Thats what I like to see. Although the Cliff Claven award goes to Ken so far for knowing so much!
    Right now I am swaying towards the Gamecube because I have a DVD player and the PS2 is close behind.
    I already have a paperweight so the XBOX might get left in the dust. I have to check that IGN site to get the info I am so lacking.
    I hate decisions.

16. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    you could always just get them all ;) Problem solved.

17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Do we look like we're made of money, Adam? :p

I have a Gamecube, and I'm quite happy with it. I know people who avoid X-Box just because it's Microsoft, but in my opinion, the true evil of the tech industry is AOL. If they ever produce a console, I'll boycott it.

18. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Darth Shaun...whats yur favorite style of game?

Cause its not teh system, they are all paperweights with out their games :)

19. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    but the gamecube is the cutest of the paperweights!

20. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    PC my friend.

It may be more expensive, but games are much cheaper, and there's so much more you can do.

Besides, PC games have about 10 times the longetivity of any console game. Just try getting your head around Morrowind and you'll understand.

21. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    and the coolest if you get the platinum gamecube...ohh...i so want the platinum gamecube!! *drool*

I want my brother to get it for xmas and then I'll dispose of him...i mean, replace the platinum gc with my black gc. Excellent. But for him to get it would be dumb...but then I'd have a platinum gc....

22. phalstar

phalstar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    The-Lute, you are wise my friend, beyond your years.

Sorry... back to console talk :p

23. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Both have their place. I like being able to lie down on a couch or in my bed and play console games from there - more relaxing. Also, with TV screens larger than most monitors, that adds to it. The line is being blurred though..and with the new Logitech Z-580s...*Drool* the sound on a desktop PC can be awesome!! (Z-580s have DTS, Dolby Digital, DLPII support, 5.1, each satellite is 53watts, sub 185 watts)

umm..console...yeah, nothing beats playing Smash Bros with 4 other people (or more). Online play can get close to that, but the real interaction with people in-person is so much more fun. Though, there are those that take it too far, like Monkey Ball. ;)

24. Dain_Bramage

Dain_Bramage Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    I think the games will determine what console you should get.

IMO, X-Box is the better console but not enough games interest me.

Gamecube is still a glorified N64 in my eyes. Once again, the games don't interest me.

So, PS2 is my choice. Can't beat the library of games that the PS2 has.

On a side note, I've found that the PS2 controller is something that I like using more. I find the X-Box and GC controllers are not really comfortable and too bulky.

25. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey, what's wrong with monkeyball, it's not just a game, it's a sport, it takes true skill to play that game, as well as grit determination and courage, just because you aren't a true monkeyball player, there is no need to bash the sport

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.