main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto XBox vs PS2 vs GameCube

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Shaun, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pissenlit

Pissenlit Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2001
    I think it also takes true madness...or at least a whole lotta lack of sleep... [face_plain]

2. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    Genius is often misunderstood at first, I think I will just accept that people of my time do not understand and I will continue my groundbreaking efforts to promote monkeyball :)

3. Pissenlit

Nov 26, 2001
    *wince* :)

4. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    "groundbreaking efforts to..."

that's not the breaking I thought would be occuring.

now, don't get me wrong, your efforts to create such a sport do not go unnoticed. The issue is currently being discussed in the United Nations. World leaders are discussing this delicate issue. The United States, most of all, is concerned for the future of those who participate in the sport.

I don't know how their ruling will affect you, Greg, but be sure that this topic is important to us all.

Even to those who may not see the 'genius' of it.

heheh...Wile E. Coyote, in his own eyes, is a genuis. Yet, in the eyes of others he is seen as a fool. One who cannot catch a "Road Runner." One who spends all his time and money after one meal, when he could spend his time and money after many many more meals.

What this has to do with monkey balls, I don't remember...but that's all...I gotta go back to listening to this jungle beat.

It's like I'm on survivor, without Kimmy. *sigh* :((the blonde chick from survivor 2, I think)

5. Jedi_Sheridan

Jedi_Sheridan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2001
    NES! NES! NES! NES! NES! NES! NES!

6. Darth_Shaun

Darth_Shaun Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    Damage-mostly into sports games and some first games like the shootem-ups. Hockey will rank as the number 1 game for me.
    I saw the new Robotech game and I hear its good but not sure....
    I also saw AOTC for the GameCube, is this available for the other systems??????
    That platinum GC is looking like a good paperweight at this point....but that PS2 sure has alot of cool games to choose from!

7. SandwichBoy

SandwichBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    if you're thinking of buying an X-box, think about buying a good computer. the game selection is better (most of the major X-Box releases are released for PC within a year, those that aren't are brought out on other systems), you'll get more use out of it, the games are cheaper, and the graphics will likely be light years ahead. Really, the only thing the X-BOX has ever been marketed as is a poor man's PC, and myself, I'd rather have the PC for some extra money.

As to the PS2 and Gamecube, while the PS2 has a lot of solid RPGs, I personally have grown very tired of console RPGs in general after playing games like the Baldur's Gate series, Fallout, Arcanum or Morrowind where (unlike 99% of console RPGs) you have a very open ended game that you can replay dozens of times, each with different results. Sure it's got GTA, but you KNOW that's too hot to stay on the PS2 alone for more than a year, so the PC wins out again on that front too.

Really, for the kind of visceral fun consoles were made for in the first place, the gamecube is pretty much the way to go. I have to agree with Greg, it really is the ultimate party console; you just can't beat the fun of four player free-for-all smash bros...everyone degenerates to complete thuggery.

But hey, you could always go pick up a Dreamcast and grab a whole library of games for the same price as one of those console packages above, and enjoy a sadly overlook machine that still holds its own.

8. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    Wow, I hadn't realized this went all the way to the UN, this is quite a widely recognized phenomenon, moreso than I had previously thought. and I have to thank you Adam for including me with the likes of Wile E. Coyote, that is quite an honour, he was a genius before his time, why how many inventions did that coyote pioneer, I think it would have to be in the hundreds, although he did obtain much through the cooperation of the Acme corporation. I think that one of the greatest tragedies in our history that he never once got to eat a road runner. If I was in charge back then the animal rights people would have had that road runner arrested for cruelty to animals, I only hope that Wile E. Coyote will some day be recognized for all his great achievments that have advanced the frontiers of science and technology.

ps Monkeyball rocks WOO

9. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario, Star Fox, Samus, Star Wars, Nuff said!

Only thing PS2 is good for in my opinion is the Final Fantasy series which got stolen from Nintendo anyways.

Wolf - Nintendo for life user

10. The-Lute

The-Lute Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2002
    Phalstar, you are wise just because you believe I am.

PC POWER!

In theory you could just get an emulator on the PC in a year or two that will play the old as the hills PS2/X-Box/Gamecube games.
    Currently on PC you can play all the old NES/SNES/M-drive/Atari/C64/Amiga/Gameboy/etc with a simple emulator.

It's only a matter of time......

11. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Unfortunately, the best Star Wars games are only available on GameCube.

12. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Speaking of Final Fantasy, I hear that they are releasing a Gamecube game in Japan next year, and you'll need the Gameboy Advance as well (your stats show on the GBA.

Interesting...

13. Darth_Advantus

Darth_Advantus Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2002
    Being a true LucasArts fan, I only play my games on a THX certified sound system.

My AWESOME Klipsch 4.1 Surround Speakers with Big Big Subwoofer. Can you say 500 watts of THX Certified power.

Had the set since 1989 when a friend in the states sent it up. They have out the 5.1 now which rocks too with 1 more speaker.

Nothing like flying an X-wing or slicing up enemies in Jedi Knight with blood coming out of your ears as you hit serious DB's in a 10 by 12 room...

14. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    Hmmm...

Attached to my Kenwood THX select 6.1 system (7speakers plus sub) and of course, the Wall (tm) Rogue Squadron II should look and sound pretty sweet...

Old Georgy would be proud.

15. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

wow..i can't belive i'm just discovering this thread!!

okay first of all NINTENDO ALL THE WAY!! in my opinion, the super nes was the best system out there, the controller was amazing, i can't stand that freakin' thumb joystick on the stupid N64. Nintendo always has excellent games and great customer support. I personally LOVE my gameboy advance, (only prob is that i had to buy a light for it as its no self-illuminating on the screen in the dark)

X-box is a complete waste of space and money, and frankly theres not much difference between PS1 and PS2 in my opinion except for the stupid price tag...the best use i've seen for the playstation is as a DVD player.

16. Pissenlit

Nov 26, 2001
    Gah!!!...I LIKE the little thumb-joystick-thing on the N64 controller! :D

17. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I just bought a Gamecube this weekend.

I love it.

Already I`ve secured Rogue Leader, Resident Evil, (Remake damn good too) Need for Speed 2 and Robotech.

Yoda;

"Soon...very soon, the Clone Wars, will I have....heh heh..."

18. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    "stupid N64"

*Adam is crestfallen and sobs uncontrollably at the above quote*

19. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    The N64 was a great platform for its time, and I'll certanily look back with fondness at Goldeneye, Rogue Squadron and Mario Kart.

But the time comes when you have to move on to a new level of eye candy.

Welcome Gamecube. Welcome to our playground.

20. Darth_Shaun

Darth_Shaun Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    Well I have yet to pick up any one of these awesome systems. I may wait until christmas and see if santa brings me one!

I loved my N64 but ended up giving it away a while back. This little GameCube is pretty friggin tempting.

Just not sure about its lack of DVD power...

21. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Lack of DVD affects it mainly for storage - GOD (Gamecube Opitcal Disc - official name) is 1.5GB while the dvds are like 4.7GB. BUT, the advantages to the GODs (I just like calling them that too) are the access times, they are fast. Gamecube also has a lot of compression schemes the other systems don't. Their texture compression is based on S3 technology. Which is a 7:1 near lossless compression. Factor 5, makes of Rogue Squandron and developers of the Gamecube's audio tools (Mosys - which also offers good compression) have signed a deal with Divx to provide compression for Gamecube games. This will help to improve in-game cinematics, which have suffered as a result of the lower hard disc space.

Most games don't take advantage of the DVD space on the other systems. It is nice to know that it has that ability but I don't think it affects the games too much.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/specials.cfm?action=profile&id=1

22. Kenobi2

Nov 30, 2000
    And someone said I had too much info!

:)

23. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    Yeah, but when he says it, he sounds like a salesman at Electronic boutique.

When you say it, I feel like I`m at a board of directors meeting...

;)

24. Mori_Fett

Mori_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2001
    I say it's all about the games and for me personally this list will suffice.

This list basically sealed the deal for me.

Mech Assault
    Splinter Cell
    Shenmue 2
    Raven Shield
    Ghost Recon
    Unreal Championship
    Dead Or Alive Extreme Volleyball
    007: Nightfire
    Brute Force
    Fable
    Panzar Dragoon Orta
    Halo 2
    Doom 3
    Project Gotham Racing 2
    Ninja Gaiden
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
    Jedi Knight 2 Outcast
    Counterstrike
    Phantasy Star Online
    Ridge Racer
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Dead or Alive 4
    Banjo Kazooie 3
    Soul Caliber 2
    True Crime: Streets of LA
    Battlefield 1942
    Max Payne 2
    True Fantasy Online
    BC
    WWE Raw 2
    Dino Crisis 3
    Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter
    Tao Feng
    Starcraft: Ghost

They are all Xbox games out now or in the next year and a half(give or take). Most are exclusive, but some are multi platform.
    Not to mention Xbox LIVE, all the goodness of online play without the lag, fear of your computer locking up and all that bad stuff that comes with PC gaming.

On a sidenote.....who's been craving a proper Transformers game?

There are 5 pics on this page.

http://www.americandreamcomics.com/index.php?itemid=561&catid=18

There are 6 pics on this page.

http://www.tformers.com/article.php?sid=652&mode=flat

:D

25. phalstar

phalstar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    void rant ()
    {
    A whole lot of those games came out for the PC a long time ago, playable in very high resolutions and at very nice framerates (far higher than possible with a console).

Along with the ability to use a sharp, crisp monitor, graphics on the PC are next to none for gaming.

Lag isn't really a problem, so long as you got a decent connection and you're not trying to connect to a server in Europe or something.

The #1 reason for PC games (IMHO): The ability to "mod" that game.. i.e. user and community add-ons for a game. (Take counter-strike... that was actually a mod for Half-life, it wouldn't have existed had half-life been made for console only)

PC games = excessive customization potential=enhanced and extended gameplayability (dunno if that's a word really :p)
    };

This has been a message by your local Computer Nut (a independant venture wholly owned by Micro$oft)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.