main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Xenoblade Chronicles [1, X, 2 & 3]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Ben, Nov 22, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Long? ;)

There's a lot of familiar anime elements coming into play at once (bad guy is invincible until the ultimate-power-weapon reveals and unleashes an even-more-all-powerful form, etc). But I'm liking the change in character interactions that it now introduces.

Though I was annoyed that Rex basically stood there and let Van Damne sacrifice himself for no reason. It's like, "dude, he just impaled himself with magic weapons to buy you some time and you're freaking wasting it".

Chewgumma and JEDI-SOLO like this.
  2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yup.

I was wondering how impactful it would be for you.
    that wasn’t my favorite character but F me if didn’t go out like a boss....but yeah Rex...sithed all over that moment. I was like “Dude, Fn run! Get out of there!”

I also without a doubt HATE Roc with his big ol floppy ***s and those wings that constantly wind up blocking your view in battle AND that damn “squawk” when it talks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2020
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yay. This is one of the very few game worlds where I can really say 'you've never seen anything quite like it' and it's true. The design is incredible even a decade later.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I've just finished chapter 4. Things are definitely getting interesting.

5. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Just got #4. Games great. Anyone crash yet? Crashed after a unique battle earlier.

6. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Well that’s not good. What battle?

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I haven't had any crashes myself. Deep into chapter 5 but I need to go to sleep. Will finish up that tomorrow.

Chewgumma likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I didn't mind him, actually- mostly because I think he's one of the few characters combos at this point that can help set up a Break->Topple combo*. And, thus far, your view in battle only seems to really matter when it comes to recovering items or reviving team members.

Though, I actually had him and Vandham sit out that boss fight, figuring it would fit the cinematic's events better.

The only character combat dialogue that has gotta annoying/noticeable to me has been Rex's "We can do it- with the power of friendship!" (though it's so corny that has kinda grown on me) and mt generic blade's "JUST LIKE THaAaT!".

Outside of combat, Nia's white tiger's "Flora heals an aching soul" that sometimes kicks in at a collection point is a bit of an irritant. But that's mostly due to not understanding what his relevance is to whatever system is going on there, combined with me generally ignoring non-wearable items (like foods) that don't have a specific Main Quest function (like salvaging cylinders).

*On the upside, I did figure out that some of the attack descriptions actually correlate to the combat status of enemies, so it tells you which ones can actually, for example, cause a Topple or be used once something has been Toppled by something else.

Of course, others are simply describing the attack's direction method (which, I assume, provides positional benefits if you attack an enemy from the side with a side attack), so, once again, that's a system that could have been made much clearer.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  9. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007

The named krabble in ether mine top floor.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I've made it to Chapter 6. Spent a lot of time then going back to old locations to finish off some quests, and made a *lot* of ether gems using what I'd collected. Now I hardly know which ones to use!

Really digging this game, though. But I'm a little confused as to how it can be 100 hours, unless the chapters become much longer than the ones we've had so far? Because so far each chapter has taken me about 2.5 hours. Which means at that rate, I'd be done with the game in 45 hours...

EDIT: Oh, HLTB has it at about 60 hours or less for the DE. That sounds a lot more on track with how I've been going.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    With almost no exceptions, if you hear 100 hours for a JRPG it's assuming you do absolutely every side thing ever ever.

Which in this game I can easily see adding up. "Oh, these 400 named NPCs I never had to talk to all want some random item, eh?"

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I guess. I just do the side quests in this game mostly as I go along if they're nearish where I'm going through. They're much more simple than most side quests in games. And even for a completionist, HLTB only has that at like 80 hours for this game.

EDIT: Just a note, this being more like 60 hours for my play style is totally fine by me! Much more manageable. And I need to get to playing Luigi's Mansion eventually for my Switch game.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I guess my point is more a combination of "100 hours is almost never the 'normal' playtime" and "**** 100%ing this thing with all these random ***holes wanting some stupid drop." :p

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I am not at all a completionist. I do side quests, but not all of them in a situation like this where they are just fetchquests. So yeah, I think 50-60 hours is where I'll land. And I'm happy with that, that's a sizable game.

The only RPGs I've actually spent 100 hours on are the newer Assassin's Creed games, but that includes their DLCs. And actually Mass Effect Andromeda, if you can believe it.

ZanderSolo likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I dunno. I'm told XC2 is 60-ish to finish the main quest, but I'm only getting to Chapter 4 now after almost 30 hours, out of 10 chapters I believe. Now, granted, I lost a lot of time trying to finish side quests early on when i wasn't anywhere near powerful enough to start trying to do them, but it still seems like I might be for a demoralizing long haul.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Something's gone wrong there Quest :p

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, I know. And that something has almost certainly been me. [face_laugh]

solojones likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What happens with XC games is you want to fully explore the world because the design is so unique and that's where your hours rack up.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh so this is something I think I have figured out way before the game wants me to, in a random way. So possible big story spoiler if I am right for the first game...

I think the faced and talking mechons used to be humans, or have a human conscious. Because one of the random NPCs in Colony 9 when I went back there said her grandpa Xord had died a year earlier in the battle... But that's also the name of the faced mechon you beat in the ether river area. So that used to be her grandpa.

So yeah, that's my theory I am registering now.

Rew likes this.
  20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I LOVED forging gems and when the doubled on maximum id dance a jig. It was quite addicting imo.

21. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Cheers to all of you playing XC: DE right now. I'm living vicariously through you! I have the game, but due to personal things going on IRL, I won't have time to get started on it for another few weeks/months. I've played and 100% completed the original a few times now (including at least once on the 3DS), so I've been hyped for a long time. And everything I'm hearing is leading me to believe that this new edition is worth the hype.

solojones and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    That just reminds me I still need to PM you about that XC2 ending. Cold Steel taking most of my free time though.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    "You may very well think that but I cannot possibly comment"

Rew and solojones like this.
  24. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    Ive been wandering aimlessly in the satorl marsh for hours. Its freaking gorgeous even in handheld.

Don't think ima 60 hour this one because i definitely am a completionist, and xc2 took me a long long time to beat- even playing nonstop between jobs.

Jedi Ben and Rew like this.
  25. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    Eh i guess its a double post but oh well.

Started ch 7 and have party member 5. Not only is the current area also gorgeous, but you get to fight kriffing velociraptors that are on fire. This is not an enemy i ever gave thought to like “man why am i not fighting velociraptors on fire in this game” but I’m sure as hell going to ask myself in most games now why i am not fighting velociraptors on fire.

Anyway member 5 seems...underwhelming? Not entirely sure how their attack/heals work though at the same time i still haven't figured out auras either. Is number 3 the better healer still?