main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Xenoblade Chronicles [1, X, 2 & 3]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Ben, Nov 22, 2015.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I obviously haven't played XC2, but what you're describing all sounds like hell.

I am honestly not sure I liked XC1 enough to want to play the second game any time soon anyway though. It was ok, but I have Ni No Kuni for Switch now....

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't say "hell", since it is a feasible thing to overcome. It's more annoying because, clearly, they thought people, by this point in the game, would have already done, or begun to explore, all these items and subsystems on their own.

It's definitely annoying- and a particular pet-peeve of mine when it comes to a lot of RPG's (and even the GBA-and-beyond Castlevania games). And that, simply, is that those items and subsystems really don't matter much at all to playing the game until you hit these points where the game forces you to use them. Nothing makes my eyes glaze over more than when an RPG expects you care about a thousand different items that you're either never going to use or may only use for extensive crafting.

Their presence is also contradictory, in that the only players who are really going to use those items are the expert RPG players that are trying to min/max everything or who are doing multiple playthroughs. They're using items to advance faster against higher level enemies in ways that, essentially, require you to already be such an advance player to begin with, so they don't really need it. Meanwhile, the more casual players who probably do need the bump against higher level enemies probably aren't going to be able to use the items in a way that will give them any significant advantage.

I get that it's sometimes a customization thing and other times meant to be quest items and other times battle assists, but, in the end, it all just blurs together when you give the player too many choices to keep track of.

The Poppi upgrade system's presence is a neat thing, though (and makes story sense given her and Tora's unique nature compared to the others)- and probably more straight forward than the skill trees, auxiliary cores, etc that everyone else uses. It just hasn't been highlighted or explained yet.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Rew likes this.
  3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I never even bothered with Poppi’s upgrades except at the very beginning but it was all so confusing to me I just said F it.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So far, it does seem less essential than her normal skill tree upgrades. Which is probably a good thing, otherwise it would mean playing a lot of that arcade game. And, I mean, that arcade game is actually pretty fun and challenging (though I do easy mode because not being able to touch any rocks/ground is a crap rule that I would have only accepted 30 years ago ;) ), I just wouldn't want to make it part of the normal game loop and grind.

It doesn't seem that confusing (ether crystals are your resource to craft upgrades with, and the upgrades you equip use Poppi's energy meter to limit what upgrades you can combine/equip at the same time). It's just surprising to find such a system "hidden" within the exsting Blade and Character submenus,

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, so, it turns out, things weren't as bad as I thought when it comes to Poppi and this item usage being needed for her to upgrade her strength to the level I need to progress in the main quest. What I didn't know is that you do not need to wait for each item to expire in order to add the next one into the pouch- you can use the items immediately, not worry about using any of their effects or the timer finishing, replace it right away with the next one and so on and they will count towards the 4x usage requirement.

With the item counter seemingly recycling continuously after countdown (which probably means there is yet another system re: items I have yet to disocver ;) ), I had no idea what I was going to do until I tried this- phew!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Was visiting a friend over the weekend and someone else visiting turned out to be a massive XC fan, so I had the opportunity to get some additional, hands-on tutorial and Q&A to explain some of the XC2 systems I hadn't figured out or had had explained in the game yet.

It took about 45 minutes of questions on my part but, now, 45 hours of play in, it seems like I, finally, almost understand how to play this game :p. The game's UI and tutorials really could have conveyed all of this stuff significantly better.

But now I mostly understand what the blade combo charts in the upper right hand corner during battle mean, and that you can navigate/control them via the elemental identity of the blades you use. And that that system is, essentially, beyond the combo damage bonuses and such, a way to encourage you swap blades more frequently and use their lower-tier special attacks instead of always banking towards their level 4 special attacks (and, along those lines, the orbiting dots around the other characters portraits that pop up indicate what level they've banked up to). And that system, furthermore, exists to create elemental weaknesses in enemies (via orb icons) during chain attacks that give you the opportunity to "extend the chain" and cycle through your roster with multiple attack chances instead of the default one-attack-per-driver chain.

Also learned that the merc missions are more than just a means to keep unused blades levels on par with the rest of your party, since apparently their added afinity can help out your other characters somehow, in addition to the extra items they bring in.

Them: "Have you not been summoning your blades?"
    Me: "Well, I'm guessing if you are asking that, the answer is likely no."

Also Me: (realizing the summoning is a gatcha mode as I use some of my 50+ common core crystals to pull 3 or 4 apparently-rare blades)
    Them: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!"
    Me: "The trick is to not play the game right at all so that it takes pity on you by giving you good stuff."

First I got Wulfric (after his showy, Satan-like awakening sequence I had to make sure his audition was rewarded with an X-Force-like "You're on the team."), then Dagas (giving me the honor being his driver, apparently), Gorg (Sharkboy from Sharkboy & Lavagirl), Dahlia (disturbing character that is 15% bunny, 15% lady and 70% breasts) & Boreas (a bunny driving a mech that is half Baymax, half Pac-Man).

I was able to make it through a valley of death (flying from above, emerging from the cloud sea below and slithering upon the land around me) and make it to next step in the Mor Adain story (where the theatrical eyepatch guy and his lightbulb blade show up again). I feel bad for that blade- her past life was probably with a warrior scholar or something, and now she's forced to take on the personality traits and behavior of an idiot [face_laugh].

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Corellian_Outrider and Rew like this.
  7. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    If anyone else is having problems with figuring out the combat system for XC2, which is admittedly quite complicated and (as the YouTuber below admits--one of the biggest and most knowledgeable Xenoblade fans around) the tutorials suck, here is a spoiler-free video to help you learn the ropes more easily. It's the tutorial system we should've gotten for this game but never did!

8. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    That video gave me a headache as I relived the nightmare of figuring X2 out.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm going to make one of my pet projects be designing a better XC2 battle system UI. These systems are all steps building upon steps that it should be far simpler to convey than what is shown. As it is, there are, like, four or five different UI systems being smooshed together. There is zero reason to excuse the chain attack meter not being another track around the existing special attacks main diamond (much as the regular special attack diamonds charge up the leveled special attack diamond inside the main diamond), since they are what primarily power it up. And, thus, conveying it's function.

And having the elemental selections and data being at the bottom of the screen while the chain combo paths they are navigating are in the top right corner conveys no association at all and is just sloppy (sure, they may have the elemental icons, but the way it's spread out, paired with the ZL and ZR pop-ups and the way the bottom center, at first glance, repeats/labels the function of the leveled special attack meter, one can easily just assume they are separate and/or redundant information).

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm starting to feel worried about having purchased X2.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If it helps any- I've gotten at least a 3rd or more of the way through this game not knowing or understanding any of the stuff I just learned yesterday. And the stuff I learned isn't insurmountable to figure out- it's just not conveyed well or provided in either of the tutorials (or, if they were, they weren't done so in a way that left an impression). There is a point relatively early on where the basic systems do click for the player- it's the more advanced stuff that gets really muddy in places.

The story and characters (questionable designs aside because, Japan) are still fun regardless, as are the absolutely gorgeous environments.

Rew and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Does sound XC2 went more XCX than XC1.

13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Ok my Xeno homies, for those that have finished Xenosaga I have a question: I just recently was made aware that Saga was intended to be 6 games but only 3 were made. I have them all but never finished 1. The question is does 3 wrap it up or end in an unfinished cliffhanger?

14. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m not sure if anyone on the forum has played all three Xenosaga games, but apparently the script was reworked for III to accommodate the change in scope, so it should end somehow and not pull a Shenmue.

Now, mind you, in Xenogears when they changed the scope of the project that resulted in the endgame consisting of characters literally sitting in a chair and being lectured at for real-world hours, so I’m not saying the ending will be good. :p

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    JEDI-SOLO and Rew like this.
  16. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Hey Xeno homies did y’all know that XC3 is supposed to be here this September?

Rew likes this.
  17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Yeah, I was kinda hootin' and hollerin' about it in the Switch thread after the latest Nintendo direct.

I've been meaning to write up some analysis on the reveal trailer here, but eh, it's the nature of a lurker such as myself to think of ideas for posts and never actually get around to posting them. :p

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Ahh I haven’t read that thread in quite awhile. My Switch has been gathering dust since I finished 2.

I ll have to get and do Torna before then. Speaking of how big is Torna anyway? Like a full game or just a few hours of Xeno milk?

19. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Torna is nowhere near as big as the main game of XC2, but definitely hefty by DLC story mode standards. You'll want to devote a few days to it at least. The story (and music!) are top notch and really deepens your appreciation of the main game's story and characters.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Excellent.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, XC3 has been moved up to July. And the Special Edition has been revealed, but it'll be exclusive to the My Nintendo Store. So, basically, once its available it'll crash their systems and your cart will never work ;).

Apparently, for once, the European version will also be the same and not face-slappingly more awesome.

They're also sharing some info about the battle system. Seems it will involve pairs within your 6-person team being able to merge into mech forms.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    July huh? Ok, another one to add to the list and buy when on sale.

23. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I’m really pissed it was moved up. I don’t want to rush CS4 to be ready for this.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    CS4 isn't that massive - not small, but not a leviathan either - which XC1 certainly was.

25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    119 in and only on Act 2. Remember how I play? I go slow and enjoy more than I need to. 4/17 marked 2 years I’ve been going through CS set. Love it.

Jedi Ben likes this.