main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yahoo News

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Obi-Ewan, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I don't know how many of you use Yahoo for email (many people I know have abandoned it for google), But they've been getting on my nerves regarding spoilers.

Back when the prequels were coming out, you had to go to a site like this and actively seek out spoilers. Of course I had my issues when there was a headline that said "Spoiler Warning: Who's the new CG character" and then weeks later, without mentioning him by name, they talk about "The General," leaking what I thought I had avoided before.

Yahoo seems to be doing the same thing, only arguably worse. Some spoilers seem to be right there in the headline, and even other stories, which you'd think were innocuous (since they don't have a spoiler warning), give away spoilers because, apparently, they presume you've read all the previous ones. I've had a few things spoiled that way for me already, so I'm trying to avoid as many other stories as I can. Still, I'm more than a little miffed at Yahoo right now.

2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    They're pretty terrible journalism to begin with, so I avoid them like the plague.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  3. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I started avoiding yahoo back during the spring. I complained to them, asking if there was a way I could filter out specific material (i.e. anything Star Wars), and they said there's nothing I could do. There are a couple Yahoo Groups that I use, but I just enter the url to get there...just totally bypassing the main site.

4. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I just came across something today saying Google Chrome has an app that will filter those things out.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, it doesn't. Tried it today - it just searches for the words "star", "wars" and "spoiler" and then gives a warning. No filtering or anything.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I used to use Yahoo alot. I have a Yahoo email, and it's still my main page. I will say that I've become more and more frustrated with it over the last couple years especially-and I wouldn't be surprised if I switch to Google or Chrome myself sometime soon.

I do agree with what others have said here-more and more nowadays it's all just a bunch of useless, biased, opinionated click bait where only half the facts are right anyways. SW articles are no exception!

The one thing I've become increasingly frustrated with lately (as it seems relatively new) is where they are just straight up including the spoiler right there in the headline! I don't know how many times I've looked on there and had certain things spoiled for me that I didn't want to know. I'm careful about the SW stuff-I don't want to see things like I've seen in recent past: "Why Loki doesn't appear in Age of Ultron," or "The Hulk's possible Fate in Guardians of the Galaxy", or "Why so-and-so's Death is so important for the new incarnation of the Avengers," and "So-and-so only in one scene in Captain America!?" Granted those are just examples I'm making up, but you get the point!

This is why I'll have to be shutting myself out from all internet AND social media, until I see TFA!

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, Yahoo! News is pretty much a joke.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  8. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    my yahoo address is probably the first email address that I ever had (hence why it is a cheesy email address), but for me it carries a sentimental value that no other email address has for me. I would suggest to go directly to https://mail.yahoo.com, where you should be able to avoid any spoiler info.

9. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    Yahoo! is having major problems internally. There are talks that it might be sold. My guess is that they are just desperate for clicks.

10. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    The thing about spoilerific headlines in general is that sometimes they are so desperate for clicks that the headline itself becomes effectively meaningless. There was one only today that interviewed one of the actors of TFA and the headline implied that he had revealed a key bit of info in the interview. In truth, he had completely dodged the question when it was asked!

Gus X likes this.
  11. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    The media is dishonest.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  12. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    MSN (pretty much a yahoo! news clone) I think has revealed some spoilery stuff as well.

13. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Switch to Gmail. Yahoo is horrible and awful and I hate it.

14. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    With all this talk of comparing TPM hype and Yahoo! it really is like teleporting back to 1999.