main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania yet another ozhaggis rant : sharks!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by TheOzhaggis, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000
    There is a show on tonight about shark attacks, because apparently there is an epidemic of shark attacks that we just don't know about.

So here is my position:

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET ATTACKED BY SHARKS, DON'T GO INTO THE OCEAN.

I think I saw a scene like this in Apocalypse Now. "Sharks don't surf!"

While we're at it, let's kill all the lions so we can play golf in the kalahari.

And kill the fairy penguins and turtles so they don't trample out sandcastles.

And -

2. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    As far as I'm concerned, if you go in the water you're going into the shark's territory and you're fair game. Don't complain if you lose a leg or three.

3. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    It's also useful, (as it is with me), to not be able to swim and so, because of that and other valid reasons, hate the beach. :) Or at least the ocean swimming part of it.

You should write the script for Lost with thoughts like those.

4. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Are you talking about the British couple that got lost on account of their own fault being too far away from their dive boat? Story here

Two British divers rescued from shark-infested Australian waters have spoken of their six-hour ordeal.

Other headlines:
    Abandoned divers 'circled by sharks'
    Our Six-hour Terror In Shark-infested Seas
    Abandoned divers rescued after six hours in shark-infested sea [hr][/blockquote]

First off, they weren't abandoned. They were lost by their own stupidity. Secondly, if the GBR is classified as "shark infested" everyone that comes back from the day trips can genuinely go "I snorkelled for 5 hours in shark infested waters and all I got was this great tan."

Morons.

5. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    Did you see the "shark hunter" Vic Hislop carry on like a pork chop about how we should be killing sharks like White Pointers? Honestly the man's a dope. Sharks live in the ocean. If you swim in the ocean, Vic, there's a chance a shark may have a go at you. It's called risk. It's risky to swim in the ocean anyway. How many people drown in high surf each year? What do you want to do Vic, eliminate waves?

I do think there is a point about luring sharks to people in cages with dead fish and blood chumming for tourism purposes. It will teach the sharks that where there's humans, there's food IMO.

6. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    I prefer swimming pools... I once went Scuba-Diving off Lady Elliot Island, and all was going quite well until I spotted a shark of some sort. I couldn't get back to the shore quick enough after that. Granted there was a high 'wussbag' factor to my reaction, because it was only a metre-long baby shark. However, I wasn't about to stick around long enough to find out whether it's folks were swimming nearby.

Those lost tourists that were recently found were so lucky. Despite it's danger, the Barrier Reef is a beautiful, mesmerising place, and it is easy to lose track of time and your bearings. Apparently the people who rescued them had spotted a few sharks nearby at the time. Diving the Barrier Reef is definately on the list of things you have to do at least once in your life, and since I've done it... I'll stick to splashing about in the concrete pond thanks.

7. Foxi

Foxi Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Ooh Today Tonight or A Current Affair?

You know they are just doing their best to uncover the sharks secret terra firma invasion plan, they are stealing human legs for research clearly, expect to see walking sharks invading our coastal cities via the swewer in the major cities to start off with.. they are just spreading awareness so we can be prepared, and stop this disaster, before it's too late. How many lives must be lost frolicking wrecklessly in a foreign and unatural environment before stop this injustice?

8. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    I agree. I don't think we should hunt down and kill these animals. It's all a stupid "revenge" thing. Human beings can't dominate everything!

swim in a pool.

9. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Believe it or not, tonight on Today Tonight: single parent Sharks cheat the welfare system.

10. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    pesky critters

11. Amaya_Unduli

Amaya_Unduli Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2005
    :_| *Sniff* We sharks are by nature placid creatures. It was you humans who stuffed up the eco-system which forced us unwillingly into the theivery of limbs in a bid to make the lives of our poor, defenceless children worthwhile.

:_| (bawls loudly)

[face_plain] (quickly becomes bored, searches for something interesting to do)[face_thinking]

(chomps on nearest unsuspecting tourist's leg)

(picks out shin bone from between molers)

(Belches rudely)

12. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Uh... yeah. Shark hunting = stupid. Just like Croc hunting etc.

13. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I prefer dolphins :p

14. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Shark hunting just causes more problems!

And it's pointless! The person is already dead/injured/scared stiff and killing a shark doesn't make things any better.

15. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Dammit it pisses me off when the authorities go loking for the sharks that killed people so they get get petty revenge on them.
    Just like the openeing thread suggest.
    If you go in the water then accept your in someone elses territory.

16. Loopster

Sep 26, 2000
    But by the same token, don't we put down dogs that attack people?

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Yeah but bare in mind that's a different threat. Dangerous dogs can harm anyone in the community.
    Yeah those who have pet dogs need to accept the fact that they'll get bitten just like a surfer/diver should. But innocent children living down the street may not have a choice.
    It's different.

18. Loopster

Sep 26, 2000
    There's an element of risk in any activity. As a society we keep dogs as pets, sometimes they bite people. It's a risk, why should the dog be destroyed, yet a shark not for the same activity?

19. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    The point is that a dog is meant to be domesticated. If you think a Shark is going to sleep on your bed you've got another thing coming.

20. Loopster

Sep 26, 2000
    Ok, what about the dingos that killed that boy up on Fraser Island. Wild dingos in a National Park. It's their territory, we know they are there, we know they are wild animals that can be dangerous, yet they destroyed a large number of them after the attack.

21. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I think I'm probably with you on this one - assuming you have a position - in that they probably shouldn't have been killed. By the way, are you a vegetarian? Because if you aren't it kind of renders this stance of yours useless as you are basically responsible for the death of other animals than for far less of a reason than attacking humans.

//opens up can of worms.

22. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Loopster, the thing of it is, a dog or any land animal can more or less attack anyone, anywhere.
    Sharks stay in THEIR environment, so if we go swimming with them, expect to be bitten...well, at least don't bitch about it if you do get bitten.

But land animals such as dogs can attack and harm anyone, even those who don't have them for pets. Sharks can only attack those who take the risk, but dogs and such can attack anyone.
    THAT'S why it's different.

23. Foxi

Foxi Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    When people bite people they get punished, as must dogs. It is the way of the world. Unfortunately a lot of the dogs should not be in contact with people, due to their breeding (as I am sure you know) and it is not the rest of society's fault that there are irresponsible people out there who let these accidents with their dogs occur, and the rest of society should not be asked to suffer the consequences of their poor judgement.

Therefore, the irresponsible owners should be punished and the animal put to sleep as it is incapable of coexisting in our society.

PS I like sharks, sharks are cool, they kill each other in the womb, now that is HARDCORE.

24. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Why don't we just fix this sentence and shorten it a little:

25. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Sounds like a plan to me.

As for the inference about vegetarianism - killing animals for food is called predation, and is a necessary part of being carnivores in the food chain; killing animals so you can go surfing is not.

The mistake there is generalising WHAT you are doing and neglecting WHY you are doing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.