main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Yip Yip!" Avatar - the Last Airbender

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi Merkurian , Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    A brief summary of the plot, from wikipedia:
    Avatar: The Last Airbender is set in a fantasy world on a planet that is home to humans, fantastic animals, and supernatural spirits. Human civilization is divided into four pre-industrialized nations: the Water Tribes, the Earth Kingdom, the Fire Nation, and the Air Nomads. Within each nation, there is an order of men and women called "Benders" who have an inborn ability to manipulate their native element. Bending is a powerful art form, combining martial arts and elemental mysticism. The bending arts are Waterbending, Earthbending, Firebending, and Airbending.

In each generation, one Bender is capable of bending all four elements; this is the Avatar, the Spirit of the Planet manifested in human form. When an Avatar dies, the Avatar Spirit reincarnates into an unborn baby native to the next nation in the Avatar Cycle.

The current Avatar is this chap:
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Avatar-book_1_Chapters_1_And_2_0003.jpg]
    Twelve year old Aang, the titular character. I'm still a little behind on the series, but my wife, son, and I are huge fans, so I figured I'd start up a discussion. I'll add my own commentary later...

2. SalazarSlytherin

SalazarSlytherin Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2006
    I actually really like this show, and I wish I had cable so I could watch it more. I see it with the kids I babysit, and the oldest boy can usually catch me up. The last episode I saw was when they got to the Earth Kingdom's capital.

I love the idea of a world based on the four elemtents with people able to use those elements to their advantage. I really wish someone would make a book like it :)

Sakka can get pretty annoying, but I like his sister :) The Fire prince (the one with the birthmark) is also a very interesting character.

3. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Red Tornado FTW.

4. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    "The Fire prince (the one with the birthmark) is also a very interesting character."

That's not a birthmark. That's a scar, courtesy of dear old Dad, Fire Lord Ozai (sp?) voiced by none other than Mark Hamill. As an aside, if you ever wondered how Luke would've sounded as a Sith Lord, go no further than this voice characterization *shudders*

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Turns out I really like this show. I'm still only about 4-5 episodes in from the beginning, but I like the concept and design of the world.

M. Scott

6. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    My two favorites so far are 1)The episode with the Earthbender king, and 2) "the Storm," where you find out a great deal of backstory on Aang and Prince Zuko

7. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004
    I wish the makers of this show acknowledged what a blatant rip off of Red Tornado this Aang character is.

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Just did a brief skimming of the Red Tornado character you're talking about, and with the exception that they both have some air powers in common, the relation seems pretty non-existant.

YRMV

9. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004
    Um, try looking at their heads...

[image=http://www.electricferret.com/battle/cbub_cats/cat1/jul12-10728842006.jpg] [image=http://www.nick.com/all_nick/tv_supersites/images/img_ava_aan.gif]

This obvious similarity, coupled with the exact same powers, sums up a character rip off to me.

10. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Visible similarities aside, they don't have the exact same powers, they have some in common. So anyways, are you here to discuss the show in general, or are you here to go on about how you think Aang is a ripoff?

11. Obi_BOO_Kenobi

Obi_BOO_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2006
    The latter. But I'm done now.

12. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    Out of curiosity, if an Avatar combines all 4 elements, why is he called an airbender in the title? Why is he the last?

13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    The Avatar is the only one able to master bending of all four elements. Also, each Avatar begins as a master bender of one of the elements, and what element they're born to follows a cycle. The previous Avatar, Roku, started as a Firebender, and air was the next element in the cycle. (AFAIK, the circumstances of Avatar Roku's death have not been explained) In an attempt to "break" the cycle, the Fire Nation launched a "first stike" against the Air Nomads in an attempt to either imprison the Avatar before he became fully-realized, or kill him while in "Avatar state."

In "Avatar state," all the spirits of the previous Avatars manifest. The Avatar is extremely powerful at this point, but it's been theorized that if the Avatar is killed in this state, the cycle will be broken, and no more Avatars will manifest.

Avatar Aang "began" as an Airbender, but the Fire Nation has (apparently) wiped out all other Airbenders, hence the title.

14. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    Gotcha, thanks.

15. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    My nephew got the game and i thought it looked cool Then i saw the cartoon and i loved it more. I just saw one episode but i loved the concept already. Now i want to see more to understand it a little better.

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    It's interesting watching this from the perspective of being an astrologer. Aang definately embodies many of the personality traits of air in astrology: extremely sociable, somewhat scattered, and his teacher is very much the Aquarius type. Uncle Iroh is also the quintessential Sagittarius.

I'll have to comment more about it later...

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow, that's really cool!! Didn't know that.

Do they have the first season on DVD by any chance? I feel like I miss so much since I only get to watch episodes when I babysit, and I'd like to fill in the gaps.

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    There are currently 5 DVDs out, with 4 episodes per disc. I don't know how many seasons that covers, since I've only caught them on DVD.

19. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I saw some Dvds at Target and when i get a chance im definitely going to get it. Im really hooked on it now.

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    They actually have two sets of DVDs out for seaon one:

1) the aforementioned 5 discs of 4 episodes each
    2) the complete boxed set, also included the heretofore unreleased pilot episode.

BTW, I'm getting caught up, and holy shiitake mushrooms! Katara is becoming a Betty Badanx bender! Did I see that right that she was designated a Master?

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So I'm not the only one who likes this show...

My favorite episode was actually the latest one.

22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So far my favorites have been

1) the King of Omashu. King Bumi is a mad genius!
    2) the Siege of the North Part I. We really got to see what Waterbenders are capable of.
    3) the Storm. Great backstory on Aang & Zuko. Plus...Mark Hamill sounding very evil as Fire Lord Ozai.

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I really liked "The Chase" episode

Its the one where a three-way battle with Zuko, Azula, and Aang takes place.

24. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I like them all but the Storm and the Chase was very good.

25. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Oh i just watched the Desert episode. I have to say that was my favorite so far. It showed Aangs darkside which was awesome. Man that boy is powerful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.