main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Yip Yip!" Avatar - the Last Airbender

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi Merkurian , Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Something I noticed about the opening sequence :-B is that it uses characters from the series:

Water - Master Pakku
    Earth - the Boulder?
    Fire - Princess Azula
    Air - Aang

2. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I want the new shows to start.:mad:

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    ditto!

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I should come here more often. Avatar is currently my favorite show on television...if it were on television. But its best to get used to waiting, our best sources place season 3 anywhere from late summer (august.stepember) to early october, due to nick wanting to keep the summer clear for its never ending barrage of bad movies.

I'll also express the unpopular opinion that Zuko is not being played. Why? Because he can't be much of a hero if he is forced into the role. He needs to get everything he wants...and then realise it isn't right, and thenc hoose to leave it. Not to mention having him be played would kind of make his big choice kind of...pointless. So I think he is going to stay with Ozai's Angels for at least half of season three, most likely more, and then come to the conclusion that somehow, Ozai is messing up the Fire nation, and then helps the avatar, most likely indirectly.

I would also like to point out the avatar creators have confirmed that this storyline will end with season 3-as in Ozai is going down and the war will end. Any other seasons will have different stories all together. Please see the interveiw at Avatarspirit.net. Its a great site.

ABout Zuko's betrayal: I'd highly recommend you all to the written work of my friend Rawles. She can be fangirily, but she's also one of the smartest people I know. I think she sums it up well here:

5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Um...where?

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What do you mean you cant read invisible?:p

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I forgot-this forum's links hate me. They always disapear. *grumbles.-took me a long time to find that post too* Alright, how about a simply copy and paste?

here's the adress: http://rawles.livejournal.com/230343.html
    And the text (although it works better if you read some of the links in text, that probably won't work here.)

Curse Your Sudden But Inevitable Betrayal!
    So...that there Avatar season finale.

It's hard out here for an angry jerk beautiful butterfly-bear princess dweebzor!

So, I sat down and stared at the computer screen with the intention to write Meta About Zuko. Because after Crossroads of Destiny how can you not, right? My current opinion on Zuko seems contrary to that of a lot of the Avatar fandom, so I was going to address the major issues.

You know the ones.

Zuko choosing to side with Azula was a) a cheap plot twist done entirely for shock, b) out of character/character assassination, c) undid an entire season (or two) of development, and d) just generally made no sense.

I ardently disagree with each and every last one of those sentiments, in each case, believing that the polar opposite is actually the truth. So I sat and tried to compose long involved discussion about Zuko's character and his arc why it was all leading here only to realize...I've already written that. I read it and wrote it and got into long conversations discussing it months ago, but none of us knew then that we were actually explaining the season finale.

And that fact demonstrates why the developments in Crossroads of Destiny were so perfect. Zuko was so BRILLIANTLY in character in the season finale that meta about who he is from months ago explains completely why he did what he did.

...Dudes, THAT is how you tell a **** story. Are people taking notes? Are other showrunners taking notes? God, I hope so.

All throughout season two we've been following Zuko's journey of self-discovery. We watched as he tried to reconcile who he is with his new circumstances and tease out the truth of his destiny from all of the influences in his life. Everything told us over and over again that he was heading towards a choice. Choices are infinitely important on Avatar because on Avatar that's what destiny is made of. And the great thing is that we had a million facts to spell out for us exactly what that choice would be and we all still got it wrong.

We believed that Zuko would choose good, that he would choose Aang because that's just What's Supposed To Happen. And the simple genius of the surprise is that there was absolutely no other reason to think so than our own expectations.

This season was one largely of despair for Zuko as again and again he felt less and less reason to hope that he would ever be able to have what he wanted. And the thing that's sort of tragic and sort of sweet is that he tried. He tried to listen to his uncle and at least semi-accept a humble life in Ba Sing Se but it was never, ever for a second any part of his own desires. Li the Tea Server was never who Zuko was or wanted to be which we knew, not just because he said it, but because at his nadir Zuko expressed exactly what the core of his identity is, was, and always will be.

He is Prince Zuko, son of Ursa and Fire Lord Ozai and heir to the throne. He's that when he's exiled and he's that when he's a cowboy and he's that when he's a filthy refugee. Everything else he's ever tried to be a is a lie. Everything else everyone's ever told him to be is just that: what they're telling him to be.

Zuko's choice was obvious, irrefutably so, because why would the Prince of the Fire Nation ever do anything but choose the Fire Nation? Why would this seventeen-year-old boy with reams of Daddy Issues ever do anything but try to please his father ESPECIALLY before he's had a chance to try directly to win back that love and approval he wants so much?

And more specifically, why in all the world would he do that for the sake of defeating his own country by joining up with people he neither knows nor likes, people who despise him and everyt

8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I love this show. It's even more interesting to me because I practice the martial art that Aang's airbending is based upon, Ba Gua Zhang. Waterbending is based on Tai Chi Chuan. Earthbending is based upon Hung Gar and Firebending is based on Northern Shaolin kung fu. The show is just phenomenal and will, hopefully eventually, bring young kids into doing these martial arts. Especially the largely unknown Ba Gua Zhang.

It's pretty cool to see movements and postures you do daily in a children's cartoon show.

9. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Last weekend my four year old neighbor came over and introduced me to this show. I really liked it. Will definately have to keep a lookout for more episodes. [face_dancing]

10. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    BTW, I nominated several characters from the show for the "Favorite Fantasy Character" thread. Prince Zuko is in the running right now...hint, hint! ;)

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I've been watching reruns of Avatar on Comcast On Demand! and that has whet my apetite.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Was the show cancelled?

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    its been delayed

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    'till when?

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    August or September, IIRC

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Then it wasn't really delayed then. That's consistent with a Fall to late Spring TV season.

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I looove it; I watch it with the kids I babysit. We rent the DVDs and watch :p Because it's not always on TV.

I love Zuko. I think that someday he and Kitara would be good for each other ;)

18. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Has anyone checked the front page of Avatar Spirit recently?

Take a good, long, hard look at it all. http://www.avatarspirit.net/

Release date for the DVDs and the airing of Season 3, the Season 3 trailer, and everything. Plus a nifty little shocker involving Zuko, one that makes me happy but will likely anger the fans of a certain ship . . .

19. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Season 3 begins September 21.

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    really? [face_dancing]

21. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Really. It's been confirmed by Nick itself.

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Dances[face_dancing]

I could sing!

23. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Question... season 2 ended with the fall of the earth kingdom, correct? I'm wanting to know if I'm all caught up...

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Earth Kingdom fell
    Iroh imprisoned
    Aang killed and brought back to life

25. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    thank god for that

but im gonna be seriously pissed if they spread them out over 1 a month. laaaame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.