main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

YJCC Mod Issue/ Policy Question

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Coincidence that decisions were made before MF got promoted? No, I think quite alot were.

2. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    If trying to point out the flaw in logic that resulted in this decision by comparing it to how silly it sounds when applied to threads in different forums is considered "sarcasm", then I'm guilty as charged.

Those are two completely different entities in my opinion. In the movie forums, several different aspects of one character(s)/film(s) can be discussed, warranting the existence of several threads about one subject. However in the JCC, most of the topics are....well....topicless and even if they have a topic, they very rarely stay on it for more than five consecutive posts.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    One of them. If they all were in one thread, there's a chance that that one thread would be on the first page. Right up there with the BYS, Dark Lords, Geriatric Ward, Lightsiders, etc.

The difference being that if it were in one thread, it would be the same thread, not a different one. The LS, BYS, DL, GW, etc, threads are at the top fairly often (though usually fall back down for a good portion of the day--I checked in earlier and the DL thread was on page 4) but they don't start a new thread every day, just when the old one is too big.

Another difference being that the threads you mentioned are groups, when the AmazingB threads are just about one person (though they are ultimately just posted in by a generalized group).

Ignant was starting one of those every day, the groups mentioned don't start a new thread every day.

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "The difference being that if it were in one thread, it would be the same thread, not a different one."

What difference does that make, though? If there's only one thread on the first page, then what's it hurting by having other threads locked on previous pages? How is it any worse than having two or three Shorty threads on the first page?

5. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I never said I would condone the mass amounts of Shorty threads either.

Heck, I wouldn't care if Ignant made a thread once a week with 7 facts about Brian. But EVERY day is just really excessive.

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    That isn't relevant ousley since the rules make no distinction.

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Heck, I wouldn't care if Ignant made a thread once a week with 7 facts about Brian. But EVERY day is just really excessive.

How so? Assuming that the thread from the previous day is always locked, then you'll never get these threads taking up more space on the front page than if it was one big thread. He?s making no more posts that he otherwise would. They?re not spam. There are a large number of people that do appreciate them. It seems to me that people are trying to pressure D_I into putting everything into one big thread without a good reason for why big threads are preferable ? and nothing substantial to contradict the belief that big threads are put-offs to some ? or maybe just trying to get rid of them because they don?t fit into some peoples? ideas of what the Community forum should be.

8. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Because, Raven, it seems that in the ones that I have read, it just turns into a clique social thread between members of that general group. It seems that they are getting a new social thread every day to post about whatever random matter popped up during whatever inside jokes they've came up, and no one else (at least not in the few that I read) really seem to care, and when they do post they just get ridiculed for not getting a joke or just because people find it fun to ridicule those not in their group.

So basically, you get the same people taking over a thread each day. And for a point as to why one thread would be better--that way that group (yes, its a group, clique, whatever) can have their thread to socialize in, and not be starting a new one each day.

There are a large number of people that do appreciate them.

A large amount? Sure, people may find them funny, but it isn't necessary to start a new one each day.

If I were to, say, create a "Something DarthXan318 said to me today" (one of my good e-friends from JCC) every day with some random quote from her, would that be accepted as a community building tool? Not really, because Xany and a couple other people and I would post, and then get a bunch of "I don't care" or "whatever" type posts, and a lot of the same people advocating Ignant's threads would probably argue against mine.

9. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Well if the mods are going to stick by their decision, would they offer to edit the title of the thread every time a new fact is presented so those people who enjoy and follow the thread can know that a new unknown fact about B has been posted?

Of course. Mods are around to moderate the boards and to assist users. I do edit and change things in threads when asked... unless of course another mod beats me to it. ;)

I think both sides have something here, and there just needs to be some kind of compromise reached.

I'm not against compromise.

Have there been complaints about the threads?

Yes.

JMT does not count. He means real users.

JMT is just as much a real user as anyone else. I've received multiple inquiries from a variety of users on why these threads were allowed to continue. The JC mods discussed it and came to a conclusion. So many users are quick to say "redundant!" or "this thread already exists!" or something of the sort. But apply that logic to the AmazingB threads and it's suddently all wrong? No. That's looking the other way because you don't want the same rules to apply to your thread or something you like.

C'mon, JCC mods, everyone else here can see the common sense in allowing multiple entertaining threads.

While I agree with that, common sense seems to me that these threads are all so similar enough they should be in one thread and not going on 40 of them.

The timing for this is extremely poor, and it really looks like Bria is exerting authority by trying to catch Ignant on a technicality.

Nope. I'm trying to stop what wouldn't be allowed with another user. It's not a technicality, it's a matter of fairness.

Bria, how long have you been a Mod? Why didn't you speak up or lock any of these threads down or complain BEFORE now? The Bigger Fish, the same thing applies to you - you might be a "new" mod, but you've been around long enough to at least see several of these threads get created. The point is, this all seems to be coming out-of-the-blue, and for no real reason.

Honestly, I never would've guessed they'd continue for so long. Then also there was a whole mess to deal with and such. I would also agree that almost 40 threads is a very valid reason.

Targeting one person for his peculiar sense of humor really reeks of bias.

So does allowing multitudes of threads on one user because he happens to be popular (and one I personally respect) and an exmod.

This is nitpicking and overkill. Jeez do you have to be a prude now to mod the JCC. The B threads are funny community building threads.

Not really. Not when they are pretty much frequented by the same group of people (who also happen to be the same bunch upset in here, surprise, surprise) and we continue to have users come to use and thank us for stopping the double standard.

Bria seems to have gone down this road as somewhat of a compromise, but, Bria, it only looks like you're backing away from your original judgement if that is your intention.

No, not really. My thoughts were that in one thread Ignant could have us edit in new facts for further discussion. Locking old threads prevents disscussion of facts that a user made have missed. Putting them all in one thread means any can be discussed and new facts can be added. The whole locking thing I mentioned is what should've happened but wasn't. I still think multiple threads for one user (any user) like this is too much.

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Bria, answer the following questions:

How is allowing multiple threads hurting the JCC, especially when there rarely is more than one is on the first page at any time?

How is this any different than two or three random Shorty threads on the first page every day?

11. Hob

Hob Jedi Master star 3

Aug 10, 2003
    JMT is just as much a real user as anyone else.

JMT has already displayed a bias against this particular user, and is hardly in the forum enough to have an opinion on it. But that wasn't my point. My point was that the overwhelming majority of users have no problem with this and only the mods seem to feel that it's a problem.

12. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    The JC mods discussed it and came to a conclusion. So many users are quick to say "redundant!" or "this thread already exists!"
    1. How come the other JC mods haven't posted in this thread, then? ?[face_plain]
    2. the threads AREN'T redundant - I seem to recall that being firmly established about 6 pages back in the discussion.

Honestly, I never would've guessed they'd continue for so long.

Excuse me if I don't believe that at all. [face_plain]
    So after 36 of the threads show up, you suddenly opt to take action, without any sort of warning posts in any of the previous threads, or any public discussions with anyone (i.e., like this thread is doing), and acting against the precedent set by a previous JCC Mod (who is no longer a Mod, but that's beside the point). Bria, you and Katya_Jade were both JCC Mods at the same period of time, right? Is there any reason in particular why you never discussed this with her during the timeframe of the FIRST 35 "AmazingB" threads? Or why her precedent wasn't upheld?

I've received multiple inquiries from a variety of users on why these threads were allowed to continue.

I don't think I buy that one, either - based on the public "poll" posted by Ignant regarding the "AmazingB" threads, the vast majority of people say they DO like the threads and would like them to continue.

This is nitpicking and overkill. Jeez do you have to be a prude now to mod the JCC. The B threads are funny community building threads.

Not really. Not when they are pretty much frequented by the same group of people (who also happen to be the same bunch upset in here, surprise, surprise) and we continue to have users come to use and thank us for stopping the double standard.

1. Um, that IS the definition of community-building.
    2. The only thing that's a double-standard is that you let this slide for 36 iterations of the thread, and then without any sort of valid reason, you're shouting "THERE IS A PROBLEM I MUST SOLVE!". I mean, come on. Isn't this all a little petty? And besides, if you really had that many people "thanking you", then wouldn't you have more than a handful of people taking your position in this thread, instead of almost everyone opposing it like there is now? ?[face_plain]

I still think multiple threads for one user (any user) like this is too much.

...even if it's only ONE thread at a time, and there's a maximum of 1 thread on the first page of the thread listing at any given moment, and all older threads are locked?

13. BarryBonds25

BarryBonds25 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2003
    Don't hate Paul because he's funny...hate him because he's beautiful...or hate him because he knows too much about AmazingB. Love him because he shares his knowledge of AmazingB with us.

14. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I agree with *** mods on this matter, enough is enough. *** threads are so close in context that we should have only *** one, and it should've been stopped back after the second or third thread.

Why can't he stick to *** one thread and have someone edit *** title for him daily? Sounds like *** mods are willing to do so.

15. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Really that's odd since they couldn't be bothered to lock a thread daily when that requires less then editting.

16. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    like I said, it should've been stopped after *** second thread at *** most.

its gotten so far out of hand, we're in comms discussing it

17. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    You think we only discuss things in Comm when it's a regular users fault? Where have you been?

18. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    My point farraday, is if *** threads would have been stopped right when they started we wouldn't be here discussing it now when *** mods decide that enough is enough.

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    The mods at *** time decided they were okay.

It wasn't that they didn't notice and it kept happenening, they did notice and said it was alright.

20. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    like I said, it should've been stopped after *** second thread at *** most.

its gotten so far out of hand, we're in comms discussing it

That's very far from accurate.

It DIDN'T stop after *** second thread. It got to *** 36th thread before a Mod (seemingly arbitrarily) decided to say "THERE IS A PROBLEM!" and decided to start some Drama?, and Ignant felt something was amiss and started this thread.

21. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    i don't see what *** hell *** problem is here, kids. if ignant gets a mod to lock *** latest thread before starting a new one, then what is *** difference between that and a person asking to have their thread title edited? in *** end it's really *** same thing: 1 thread, dynamic title, and conversation/rambling/gibberish/FUN inside *** thread that doesn't need to be contained in one thread because they only last for one day and it's not exactly structured conversaton at that.

as for why *** original conditions, as set by katya_jade or dagsy or whoever, were not carried over and continued by the new mods, well i think *** fault is shared. ignant should have talked to *** new mods, and *** new mods should have stuck to *** original mandate or whatever *** hell you wanna call it.

all of you [redacted] need to stop being so damn stubborn. most of *** arguments i've seen from BOTH sides in here are [redacted], and none of this was necessary. this thread should have been over before it hit 2 pages.

22. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Vader Fett, if you go through *** pages of *** YJCC you'll see how it became a problem, when a few of *** older threads surfaced in *** past few days, thats when they decided to say enough was enough

*** reason its been suggested to change *** title compared to locking *** old thread and starting a new one, its spamming. Its also in a grey area where one wonders if its against *** TOS or not.

23. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    No, not against the TOS. No, not spam.

Sorry Falcon, you missed the debate by a few days. Bria made her decision.

24. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    in the end it's really the same thing: 1 thread, dynamic title, and conversation/rambling/gibberish/FUN inside the thread that doesn't need to be contained in one thread because they only last for one day and it's not exactly structured conversaton at that.

By keeping it in multiple threads, it keeps *** one thread from reaching epic proportions, which we all know is sometimes a deterrant from people joining in *** discussion.

Vader Fett, if you go through the pages of the YJCC you'll see how it became a problem, when a few of the older threads surfaced in the past few days, thats when they decided to say enough was enough

Um, that's *** Mod's fault/problem, not ours. If *** Mods neglected to lock some of *** threads down (like they had been doing previously), then they should deal with that, instead of "trying to change *** rules of *** game".

25. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "when a few of the older threads surfaced in the past few days, thats when they decided to say enough was enough "

Okay, that wasn't mentioned by any mods or any other user. Are you sure it happened? Because I really don't think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.