main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[YJCC] Star Wars in YJCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by carmenite, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Hi there! I'm Carmen, and this is my dead horse. I know that this is something that has been discussed before, but I wanted to try again, since it seems to have been a while.

Right now there is a rule about no Star Wars in YJCC. I understand the reasoning for the rule, as there are plenty of other places to discuss Star Wars seeing as this is, you know, a Star Wars forum. However, the nature of this forum is such that a number of people have boards that they've more or less settled on, and don't often venture out of them. So if I wanted to post something about, say, the Robot Chicken Star Wars episode, or the Jar-Jar boxers that I just saw at Wal-mart, I'd have to go to a forum that I'm not really familiar with, and discuss it with people that I don't really know.

In YJCC there are threads that are better suited in boards that are specifically made for them - we have games there (where they might be better suited for Census and Games), we have sports threads there (where they might be better suited for the Arena {speaking of which, why is the Arena under it's own heading of 'Sports' as the only board there, rather than JC Community?}), there are TV and movie threads (rather than in the Amphitheater), and there are political/serious topic threads (rather than in the Senate Floor).

So my proposal is, why not the same for Star Wars? I'm not proposing merging SWC with YJCC or anything like that - just allowing those of us who want to discuss Star Wars with our YJCC friends an option. If it got out of hand then it could be removed completely, I just think that at this point in the Star Wars life cycle, as well as in the social development of the boards, it may be time to reconsider it.

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    The Jar Jar Boxers, possibly, as underwear is perfectly suited for JCC, if not Star Wars

The Star Wars Kid was a JCC topic

The Robot Chicken sketches, The Star Wars Rap, Chad Vader, etc. are way too Star Warsy. There needs to be a line somewhere and they should be right in front of those.
    Heck, I don't even want those in CT.

and I thought only FanFiccers were afraid to venture outside their home forum...

Visibility for newbies, says Sape.

3. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    The reason that I'd have issue with Robot Chicken, etc, is because, were they not Star Wars, they'd be fine in YJCC. Robot Chicken in and of itself is not about Star Wars, but if they make an episode that's spoofing Star Wars, then it can't be in YJCC.

Of the posts that have happened in the Robot Chicken thread in Small Screen SW since it aired last night, only 4 of the posts have been from people that I'd classify as 'YJCC Regulars' (someone who has had at least 2 posts in YJCC in the past month). If there had been a parallel thread in YJCC about the episode, I think it's likely that it would have had more than posts from just those 4 people. So, apparently not.

Do we have a lot of newbies that come to the JC looking for a place to talk sports? This might be a thread in and of itself, so I can drop it if it would be detrimental to my real point, which is SW in YJCC.

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I don't have a problem with the fringe SW talk in the JCC, as it would be ridiculous to disallow ALL SW talk. I think I locked the second thread and redirected to SSSW. Had there been a current Robot Chicken thread already in place (and there could be one in place), the episode could have been discussed there. As it was a stand alone thread about the SW episode, it belongs in the SSSW. To make it more encompassing a Robot Chicken thread would be fine.

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I agree with Rhonda on this issue. And for those users like you said who don't necessarily venture from the JCC, I would encourage links to the more appropriate forum and especially to an existing thread if it exists.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think you're missing the community aspect of what Carmen has been talking about, Sape.

It's not all about discussing a topic in the "right place", especially now, with Star Wars discussion at something of an ebb (new series aside), and the JC seeing its lowest posting numbers in years.

7. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    But the Robot Chicken thread is an example of why this doesn't work. There was a Robot Chicken thread in YJCC, it was locked and linked to the right thread and the right forum, and not a single person who posted in the YJCC thread posted in the thread in the right forum.

And I just want to note, this isn't about the Robot Chicken thread in specific, but about a general policy. Some Star Wars threads should be able to exist in parallel, the same way that some tv, movie, and Senate-type threads do.

8. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    But it is if it's a thread that belongs in another forum trying to build a "community". If there's a Robot Chicken thread in the JCC, discussing this episode is not a big deal. But to start a thread for that particular episode is something for the Small Screen Star Wars forum. I'm a member of the JCC community, and if I really want to discuss Robot Chicken, I'd start a Robot Chicken thread for all Robot Chicken episodes. I could have changed the title, but didn't think about it at the time. It would not have been for that episode only, though.

9. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Josh, I do see what she's saying. I think she'd like to see that rule loosened up a little. And maybe it is a good time to revisit it. And the reason to revisit it would be for those numbers that you said. Some of that is to be expected given the main drive of the franchise - the movies - are over. Personally, I think you'd find more folks inclined to leave the Star Wars level in the JCC where it's at, or maybe add a little more. The equivalent community place to discuss Star Wars in the same goofy fashion is the Star Wars Community Forum. Conversely, as we examine how we allow or disallow Star Wars in the JCC, maybe as a board we could do better in how we adverstise the SWC. After all, that's the real purpose of that forum and you could say it's being under-utilized as well.

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Maybe instead of encouraging people to be able to discuss whatever they like in one forum, we should be encouraging them to branch out and discuss things in more forums.

11. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    How would you suggest doing that?

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    That's something I think in a perfect JC world might happen (or in a perfect JC world we allow our own tastes catered to in the forums we hang out in, maybe also), but somewhere in the middle is more realistic. Carmen is right in that it's not going to be the same in SSSW, as there's a different culture.

We can discuss things like the SW episode of Robot Chicken in the JCC alongside our friends there, but in a forum with that culture and with the rules in place there, the thread would end up meandering a bit, I'd wager. Not a bad thing if the thread is more about the series itself, as it can still accommodate discussion by our rules and be there for other things that are bound to come up about Robot Chicken in a forum "built" like JCC. To have more specialized threads on SW in JCC would make a lot of things in the other forums redundant in the end and at the end of the day there should be some separation of the non-SW talk and the SW talk, esp in Community. I don't think SWC wants some of our threads and we may not want line by lines, just as an example.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people that LIKE the fact that we don't let people argue over Mace vs. Palpatine or who shot first. The JCC is a way to get away from the fandom and still post with your friends, at least to me. And we have to draw a line somewhere. I can always go back to Amph or SFF or SSSW for serious SW/music/etc. talk.

Wow, that was a long post... and still had errors. *sigh*

13. carmenite

Oct 13, 2002
    I totally agree that the JC shouldn't become a place where we debate over who shot first - that's the sort of thing that definitely belongs in a Star Wars forum. My arguments are more for examples where Star Wars gets referred to in pop culture, whether it be through Jar Jar boxers, or a tv show, flash video, or something like that.

I understand where you're coming from with the Robot Chicken episode - a thread dedicated only to the Star Wars episode could be considered out of place, and a Robot Chicken thread in general would be way more appropriate. However, I also think that this examples illustrates why directing to people to more appropriate forums doesn't necessarily work. In this case, even when it was a more legitimate redirect, there still wasn't any movement from YJCC to SSSW, the conversation just stopped.

14. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, we could always go make the conversation start on that particular thread, ourselves. ;) I meant to follow it there, but forgot to. That particular forum will be moving faster in the days to come and things like the RC episode will make it more exciting.

As a JCC mod, I'm not diametrically opposed to SW things being discussed that are references to pop culture. I think a discussion about a commercial showing Darth Vader and Heidi Klum could probably stay, IMO. Or a comic that has a Vader reference, things of that nature. We've allowed discussion of Lucas, Vader, Obi-Wan, etc. when it has more to do with culture, as you state, than the fandom details of things like "how do I spell my name in aurebesh?" or "who's your favorite SW character?". There was a "Favorite Character" thread the other day with quite a few Star Wars characters in it, but like the RC thread would be it was opened up a little bit more to mainstream entertainment. We've done threads on bank robbers dressed as Vader and storm troopers getting pulled over for carrying plastic blasters. So I agree those type threads could work.

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Okay, here's a thought. I do agree with strilo's point about encouraging people to go outside their home forums and I don't think it makes much sense to have Star Wars threads in what's supposed to be the chat forum of the JC, but this is an analogy I find interesting. Most of the non-JCC forums have their own chat threads, ie. a little island of JCC in the forum where the regulars can chat with one another. By that logic, shouldn't JCC have one official Star Wars thread for JCC regulars to talk SW with one another?

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's a fairly decent idea. I'd personally welcome the JCC mods discussing if that would be viable for them. Strilo's point is also well-taken; perhaps both such threads (social threads outside of the JCC and The One Thread in the JCC could cross link to JCC/SWC respectively, if that would be useful.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Which brings me to the reason I got a bit annoying in the C4 thread: I once did a thread in YJCC on a youtube Star Wars parody (IIRC, it was the one where VAder calls the Emporer to tell him the DS was destroyed by the rebels). Got locked within a minute. Reason: Star Wars related.

I realize I could have posted it in SWC, but I never post there, don't know any of the people there, to be honest. Instead, I thought I'd share something funny with people I do know and post with regularly. And I got smacked down.

18. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    How is discussing a particular episode of Robot Chicken in both the YJCC and SSSW, any different than discussing an upcoming film in the YJCC, the Amp, Sci-Fi and Fantasy all at one time?

Then there's discussing Television shows in multiple forums, and discussing sports, in multiple forums. I just don't see what discussing an episode of a show, even though it's based on SW, is that big a deal. Especially, when it's the most popular forum at these boards.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

This is a great idea.

20. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I don't think the TV/movies/politics/sports/etc. analogy works. Those have one or two related forums (in that they're "off-topic" forums). And they spawned out of JCC. That's why they're all still okay topics in JCC. Star Wars has the whole rest of the board in all its many incarnations. They didn't spawn off JCC.

And I'd say that because the Star Wars forums have become slower, as much Star Wars as possible should be discussed in Star Wars forums. Or lol'd at.

That's why I made that FanFic comment. Nobody wants to step outside JCC, into other forums on a Star Wars message board, to talk about Star Wars? So the only solution must be, bring Star Wars to you? How is that logical? Do a JCC invasion. You've done it with Games. The only downside I can see to that would be a sudden surge in "I've reached 10k posts" topics.

All those things that reference Star Wars have always stayed in JCC. Like the Jedi (or was it lightsabers?) in the Turtles cartoon. Perfectly fine.

Though I agree that a Star Wars thread in JCC is a pretty good idea. If it's kept on JCC level. Think "This isn't the Senate". It shouldn't be PT/CT/Saga/Lit either. And don't post all those Family Guy spoofs, either. Family Guy isn't funny.

edit: cohesion ftw

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'd say one-off sort of things (like C4, youtube parodies, etc) are fine for YJCC, as would be a thread for general SW deiscussion. But anything more than that should be in the relevant SW-boards.

22. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Oh! Oh! Truth FTW!

The JCC is the mainland of insanity. Why not send out pilgrims to establish the colonies elsewhere? Shake things up in the scary world outside the JCC? Because the JCC works on another level entirely. It's a bizzare mix of everything else minus, perhaps, the structured pace of the Trilogy boards or the Senate or FanFiction. We don't have law in Deadwoo...I mean, the JCC. We have an understanding that certain things go on and certain things don't.

But that is possibly beside the point :p

In relation to SW related stuff, a single thread - devoted to one off things along the JCC vein ('lol sw cat!' or 'on the simpsons last night...' etc) would work. What wouldn't work, IMHO, is the basic transplanting of the SW-centric stuff to a forum which is more likely to get a reaction like this:

[image=http://bubba1982.jumbahost.com/main.php/d/473-1/lolcat.jpg]

than something either meaningful, interesting or even logical.*

So yes - an 'official!' SW JCC thread would be great for herding purposes, is it something that you'd be okay with? In terms of the kind of discussion you'd get in there?

*I am not giving the JCC users as much credit for sanity and logic as I normally would, because they've been driving mental with roleplaying mush all night. 8-}

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

[image=http://bubba1982.jumbahost.com/main.php/d/473-1/lolcat.jpg]

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah, that's something I've been thinking about for a while.

25. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a Chad Vader thread in JCC that was allowed to stay. :confused:

Anyhoo, I like the idea of an official, JCC-style, SW thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.