main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON YJN Costumes

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Woofer, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I guess I should update my costume.

Got the boots. Not the ones I discussed here previously, that place in Welland didn't have the right size. I found some plain black riding boots, synthetic, for a fairly unbeatable price. I'll know how good a purchase it was after spending a whole day in them at an event!!

I'm working on a proper Jedi belt. Already I've modified it to look better than what I made a few days before.

Then to finish building the googags for the belt. Energy capsules and a communicator. I hope to have those done next week when I'm off work and can spend the time on it. If anyone sees some small leather pouches let me know. I might have to make my own if I can't find something OK-ish.

I'm also planning of finishing my lightsaber... finally going to add the electronics for the all important blinkenlights, and I'm going to try one more idea to make the central part more chrome-like... again, for next week when I have the time.

Still need an inner tunic, but I know what I want. I'm going to get another karate gi, the right size for me, only white and thin. For those that don't know, my outer tunic is a heavyweight black karate gi that is very oversized for me, but looks good.

Only thing I need to do with the inner tunic is dye it. I'm thinking a gray colour, to contrast with the all black. I've made a request to my "supplier" for the karate stuff... haven't heard back yet.

So basically my costume is almost done. I'll post a pic as soon as I can.

2. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Oops, my costume info was so important it was double posted!

So who else is working on a costume they want to update people on? Need help with?

3. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Update on the food and energy capsules for my belt. I found a unique solution for making them.

The pen caps are easy enough to get at Office Place. A pack of 6 for $12.

The bottom of the pen cap is covered by a simple hemisphere. Most websites usually have you using a button or a plastic part that you have to glue, and then you paint the caps.

I'm going to try a different method.

When I was in Fabricland looking for a button that could work, I came across furniture tacks. They are basically the right size, fairly cheap (I got 36 of them for about $3) They also come in silver, bronze and copper colours!!

To attach them I bought a bunch of small corks at Home Depot, insert the cork into the pen cap, trim off a bit excess, insert the tack and voilá!

The advantage to this is I only have to paint the cap part, and leave the metal clip and metal bottom untouched. The less the painted part gets handled, the nicer the paint job should look.

I can also hold the pen cap while being painted by sticking it on a small nail. Thats it one of trickier things to do when making the capsules the more "traditional" way.

I have enough tacks and corks to make 36 capsules, I need 8 for myself, Chris has indicated he wants 8, that leaves 20, and it should be easy enough to get more corks and tacks, it looks to be a regular stock item at both places.

If you wish, once I have a few made for myself and have the production worked out, I can make more for anyone else. All you have to do is provide the pens.

4. StarWars_Vixen

StarWars_Vixen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    I am wanting to work on a new costume. I am going to do the Borriss Offee costume. Does anyone have any good pictures of it that might help me.

5. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    The Visual Dictionary is a great source for pics, be warned it has pictures which are definitely spoilerish, so you may want to wait until after seeing the movie before you buy it if you want to be safe.

This site has some good info on the costume you want to make, the creator of the site (Jedi_Samantha) did a Barris Offee costume herself which you can see here.

6. jeigh

jeigh Jedi Master star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Grr, whoever made that page needs a few tips on web design. The entire world isn't on a highspeed connection.

I think I'll go and make lunch, then when I come down maybe HALF the page will be loaded.

7. StarWars_Vixen

StarWars_Vixen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    Thank you so much John. That will help alot!! I can't wait to get it done.

8. Jedi_Padawan_Padme

Jedi_Padawan_Padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 20, 2001
    YAY!
    I got all my schtuff for my costume!
    Now, I just have to get it made.....
    And Chris....I spent quite a bit of money, (cuz I knew I needed it now, and I didn't care for looking for bargins or anything) so, I better get to go even if there are a few minor differences. lol.
    Actually, I think it's gonna look pretty good, I just gotta work on the necklace part...see if I can find a better centerpiece for it.
    Okay, I just wanted to say that I've got the stuff, so hopefully I'll be going.

9. dreamweaver_YJN

dreamweaver_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2001
    GOOD HEAVENS!!!!!!

I definitely was not meant to have dark brown hair......aaaaacccccccccckkkkkkk! :_|

10. dreamweaver_YJN

Oct 9, 2001
    Congratulations Crystal! You got your Barriss Offee costume all finished, and you did it all yourself! Can't wait to see it! :D

11. Apprentice_Anakin

Apprentice_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Sep 17, 2001
    Guess what. My mom is almost finished my anakin ep. II costume. She's done the pants, outer tunic and leather straps. My straps were always WAY too thin before, now my costume kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I need is the inner tunic, boots, belt and lightsaber; and my mom's starting the inner tunic today soon! I can't wait to show you guys. I'm buying a Master Replica Anakin Skywalker (Episode II, obiously) lightsaber. I didn't even know they had them but I found about 50 at e-bay. And I'm buying my boots from the same guy that made Chris's (he makes Anakin boots, too) All I need is a belt. I'm soo excited!

12. Jedi_Padawan_Padme

Jedi_Padawan_Padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 20, 2001
    yay!
    I can't wait to see your costume corey....it sounds so cool....

13. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    Do you have boots for sunday?

14. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Ummmmm.....if that saber is $50 on e-bay, the price is obviously going to jump to hundreds of dollars at the last minute. I think the best bet would be to guy the electronic toy. I got the Dooku one and its really nice.

15. Apprentice_Anakin

Sep 17, 2001
    No i need boots. Somebody please bring some

16. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Um...ya

Corey, you need to be sure you have boots before Friday!!!!

I suggest you make sure you have the boots, from someone, ASAP.

17. Apprentice_Anakin

Sep 17, 2001
    Who has balck or brown boots I can use?

18. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Update on my Boba costume - I just did my own helmet with a veery detailed paint job. I'll post some pictures as soon as I do some finishing touches.

19. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I have boots, thanks to Laurie. They go very well with my costume now. Unfortunately, my old boots are no longer wearable.

20. dreamweaver_YJN

Oct 9, 2001
    I'm bumping this up for Java_Jedi so we can talk about costuming in the costuming thread, instead of in the AOTC favourite scenes thread.

For the Gungan costume..Eryn found some fan art depicting a female Gungan. She had a short brown cloth skirt, and a little leather vest with leather lacing up the front. I can do those very easily.

For the skin, 2 pairs of orange tights would work well...one for the legs...the other, cut the legs out and use on the arms. The leftover waist bit can be used for the neck.
    Just need to get the correct colour, and add the brown spotted markings.

As for hands... nylon gloves, coloured orange and details such as fingernails added.

For bare Gungan feet, I have a Frog costume pattern that I can adapt easily to make soft, stuffed Gungan feet that would slip over top of shoes.

You've got the mask...add a spear...and yousa done! :)

21. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Thanks for the info... if you have the url for that fan art that would be great. the head should be on the way... ( sorry about costume talk in movie review area... I'm very new to message boards...lol)... Just need to figure out the shade of orange. I;m new to the costume making to, so I'm more than glad for any help. Still thinking about mine and working on Yoda...lol...No idea when we will need them. Thanks again.

22. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    Anyone have any clue where we can get a black gui in the Niagara area?... we tried to dye a white one... oppps... 3 tries and the darn thing turned navy blue...lol

23. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    What size? I have a spare one, size 5. I upgraded to a much larger size 8 to get the look I wanted for my costume.

24. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Vacuuforming!

If there was a vacuuforming table available to you for making custom pieces, would you be interested?

What would you like to make with one?

Would you be willing to put forth some money to help make one? Say $10 or 20?

I'm trying to judge demand.

25. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    OK... call me dense,... what is vaccuforming?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.