main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me: The Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    It'd be great if Keith Richards were in POTC 2, but his absence wouldn't stop me from looking forward to it. I did like POTC very much, and was quite surprised to see the 'Based on the Walt Disney ride' credit afterwards. All credit to the writers for creating a movie that stands alone.

Anyone find Keith Richards' easter egg on the POTC 1 DVD? I thought it was pretty good, despite being very short.

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I heard they were leaning towards getting him for the 3rd one. But if they don't, its okay I like Jack's past being mysterious to the viewer.

~PK~

3. LadyWhilla

LadyWhilla Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    [image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/LadyWhilla/keith2.jpg]

?If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet.?~Keith Richards

Perfect casting for Jack's dad.:D

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I think seeing the two of them on screen together would be priceless.

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    It would be totally hilarious. I really hope they can get him for at least the third one.

6. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Saw the trailer for POTC when I saw Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe.There is at least one reference to a certain 1954 Disney underwater adventure with Kirk Douglas.If you saw the trailer and the 1954 movie you will know what I mean.LOL!ARRR!

7. LadyZaraMarta

LadyZaraMarta Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2004
    Looking forward to Pirates 2 & 3!

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Aren't we all! :)

There is at least one reference to a certain 1954 Disney underwater adventure with Kirk Douglas.If you saw the trailer and the 1954 movie you will know what I mean.LOL!ARRR!

Hmmm... that's interesting. But then I haven't seen the '54 movie, so I wouldn't know. But I love it when movie's reference to other movies. It can sometimes be so funny.

9. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    I wish I had seen this in theaters, but I was oblivious to it at the time, and until after it was out on DVD and a friend showed me it. Now I freaking adore this movie. Such a great blend of pirateyness and comedy and action! Although I'm with Everton, after having seen the trailer I was kinda excited for another POTC movie being so close and yet kinda let down by it because it just looked like more of the same. But I'm keeping my hopes up, it looks like it could be a smash!

10. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    I'm quite fond of the first Pirates film. However I've seen the trailer for the second, and it smacks of 're-hash'. Still, I suppose I'll have to reserve judgement until I see it.

11. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I was rewatchin POTC the other night and I have some questions.

1. What is the "Curse of the Black Pearl"? The ship isn't cursed is it? Why isn't the movie called "Curse of the Aztecs"?

2. When the pirates are in human form they don't breathe, do they? Do they get cold? Do they sweat, etc?

3. When the monkey takes the coin from the treasure chest at the end of the movie after the credits, does he start the curse up all over again?

12. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    My thoughts...

1. For one thing, the Black Pearl is much more prominent in the film than the Aztecs, and I imagine it has to do with marketing it to the public. But I don't think it's unreasonable to call it "The Curse of the Black Pearl" when it is the thing that is cursed (or its crew, anyway).

2. No, they don't. They can't breathe, eat, drink, sleep, or die. Barbossa says he feels nothing, that food turned to ash in their mouths, etc.

3. I think the monkey is cursed, but none of the other characters are. The previously curse was "reset" by Jack at the end of his fight with Barbossa, and the monkey is under a new "round" of the curse.

13. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The next one should be an interesting romp, I'll be seeing it.

14. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    When they're skeletons in the moonlight. How do they talk with no lips and tongues?

"You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner. You're in one."

I believe Barbosa says that whilst in skeleton mode.

15. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Come on man, this is supposed to be a fun Disney movie not a Star Trek episode.

16. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I heard a disturbing rumor that the "Pirates" ride at Disneyland is going to be shut down for a time, and re-done to be like the movie. I remember hearing this back in the day with the first one, but it seems this time it's fact. I seriously cannot believe this, and if it happens, I do believe I will be seriously disappointed with Disney; that ride is timeless, and while the movie(s) is/are popular, I don't know if they're timeless...

As for the second one, well it looks...good. I'll be seeing it, I know. I'll miss Barbosa, he was a favorite of mine. Though, I'm sure they'll replace him well. :) My biggest fear is that this movie will be directed towards kids, keeping a lighter tone, rather than having a dark tone.

In any event, Disney has a lot of hope for this movie, as they are already working on the third...

~Vassago

17. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Both Disneyland and Walt Disney World will shut down their respective versions of Pirates of the Caribbean this spring (March-June) and revamp the rides. The pirate ship with its' sword-waving captain will be replaced with the Black Pearl (commanded by Captain Barbossa), the immortal "DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES!!!" will now be intoned by Bill Nighy (as Davy Jones), and animatronics of Jack Sparrow will appear in three of the classic scenes: a "Where's Waldo" cameo in the well scene, hiding inside the barrel of the "Portly Pirate" scene (helping correct the political 'correctness' of that scene's previous revision), and (as in the movie) the jail cell scene.

Other than that, the classic ride stays much as is -- cleaned up digital audio, restored and spruced up animatronics and settings, but still recognizably the 1967/1973 rides, respectively. The premiere of POTC2 is expected to be held at Disneyland's POTC, simultaneous with the reopening.

18. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Ah, I see. That isn't so bad. I was under the impression everything would be re-done. So the modifications will be ready for the release of the new movie, then?

~Vassago

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    that's cool that they're redoing the ride to make it closer to the movies. i can't wait to see POTC 2 when it comes out. anyone know if the same guy that did the music for the 1st one is coming back for 2 and 3?

20. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    I heard the third will have this one Chinese guy from chinese kung fu movies in it.

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i heard about that to. i think his name is Chow Yung Fat or something like that

22. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    The trailer for PotC 2 made me want to watch the first one again - I'm going to this one for sure. :D I just love how they mix the action with the (playful?) humor. :p

23. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Possible spoilers:

Part of the story is that Davy Jones' ship, the Flying Dutchman, is crewed by those who died at sea. Even though he didn't technically die "at sea" (maybe his body washed out?), Geoffrey Rush was hired to reprise his role as Barbossa, and if you watch closely, you can see him in the trailer (saying "You're not going to be able to talk your way out of this one, Jack").

Chow Yun Fat. He played Li Mu Bai in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. He is also NOT an actual martial artist, and I would be very surprised if they actually put kung fu battles in POTC 2 or 3.

Though not necessarily disappointed, if they do it well. :cool:

M. Scott

24. Eme-ma_Himou

Eme-ma_Himou Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2004
    Some great points.

Watching the deleted scenes helped me finally understand #3. In POTC1 there are 3 different curses.

1. The Regular One (that is broken when the son of the first pirate [of the crew] to touch the treasure repays the blood)

2. The Jack One (If you notice, Jack cuts his hand with his sword just before he tosses the coin to Will. Methinks this is him ending his own curse.)

3. The Monkey One (Both the previous curses are broken and a new one is made with the monkey. Only the monkey is cursed this time)

2. No, they don't. They can't breathe, eat, drink, sleep, or die. Barbossa says he feels nothing, that food turned to ash in their mouths, etc.

:D

Anyone notice an inconsistency in the POTC world? They can't die... so when Bootstrap was trapped on the bottom of the sea floor, how does he get free? A pact with Davey Jones, perhaps? Did they plan this out in advanced?

25. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Chow Yun Fat. He played Li Mu Bai in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. He is also NOT an actual martial artist, and I would be very surprised if they actually put kung fu battles in POTC 2 or 3.

Though not necessarily disappointed, if they do it well. :cool:

M. Scott[/quote]:oops: That's like one of the world's premier action stars not some Chinese guy from Chinese kung fu movies. Slightly off topic here but if you've never seen them do yourself a favor and rent The Killer, Hard Boiled, and A Better Tomorrow.

If nothing else you'll get 50x more pop culture references then before as many scenes from those movies are ingrained into modern Hollywood filmmaking.

But yes, he is supposed to be the main pirate in the third movie and there are rumors of a cameo in 2 as they are being filmed back to back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.