main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me: The Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Really? I think it explains things more and adds closure to something that needed an ending, not a continuation.

Maybe he didn't have to because of the curse, maybe it was because his heart was actually stabbed. It was fatally wounded so he had to remove it. I dunno, I'm grasping. Maybe it was something that Davy Jones added to the burden. Since he cut his heart out, any new captain had to cut his out too because that was a new provision created by the previous captain..

2. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    But again, that changes the rules of the Dutchman entirely. Calypso was the one who made Davy Jones captain of the Dutchman originally, and made the rule that he could only leave his post once every ten years. So then she would knowingly doom him by not being there when he got his day's leave? HER rule? That's more than betrayal, that's damnation.

Davy was upset that she wasn't there when he'd done it for her in the first place, I can get that. But it would be beyond upset and heartbroken, and into downright hatred if it was because of her whims that she doomed him to the ship. He screwed himself by abandoning his post. That makes much more sense.

Also, I think there was a fine sense of closure with the post-credits scene. Will escaped death and he can be together with Elizabeth. The catch is he can only do so for one day every ten years. It's bittersweet and heart-wrenching, but that's how life and love are sometime, and I think it works better than just arbitrarily deciding he can leave the Dutchman after one "term" at the mast. So in that one day he has to find a replacement to kill him and take his place? "The Dutchman must have a captain," after all.

Senseless. You can really tell that they started shooting before they'd finished the script.

3. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    But wasn't the whole 'captain of the Dutchman' job that Calypso created only supposed to be for 10 years only? Davy Jones did that and expected to leave after that but found no one there when he did. He felt betrayed so he betrayed her and started tormenting souls at sea. But still, the initial job is only for 10 years. So it's not really meant to be in terms. Will took the job because it was the only thing he could do to stay alive, however it came at a price. He had to be gone for 10 years to perform the burden of duties that the job requires. When he's done, I guess he can choose someone from his crew. They are already dead, right? Maybe that's how Calypso wanted it. One new guy every ten years. Davy Jones didn't follow the rules though so that wasn't typical.

I do wonder how Calypso worked out who would crew the Dutchman with the captain. Are they souls that are chosen by the captain to stay behind after they die to work for the Dutchman and they get a new crew each cycle perhaps?

I do agree with your last statement. Some things felt disjointed in the film. Like someone said about Jack Sparrow in the movie, maybe they were just sorta making it up as they went along. :p

4. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    But there's that exchange with Will's father. The wording is, potentially, important, but I recall it as something like:

Bootstrap: It's a steep price. One day every ten years.
    Will: It depends on the one day.

It's actually important to know exactly what Bootstrap said.

Anyway, between the two options, I like the idea better that Will and Elizabeth only get one day every ten years. The sacrifices they both make, and their fidelity to each other, are more powerful that way.

5. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I agree. Too often are movie endings easy to predict, and I was honestly not sure what was going to happen on board the Flying Dutchman at the end of the battle (honestly I thought Will could have survived that stab, I mean, you did, Dorkman ;) ). What ultimately happened with Will and Elizabeth wasn't what I wanted to happen as a movie-goer, but I think that's what made it satisfying. Life isn't a fairy tale, and the writers weren't afraid to give us the bitter-sweet ending. I like that; feels like they respect us as an intelligent, mature audience.

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    USA acquire the AWE TV rights starting September 09. Why do I see a trilogy marathon on the horizon like they did with SW a decade ago.

7. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I really liked the movie, but I agree that a lot of it was confusing and hard to follow. I'm also not completely happy with the whole "Will can only see Elizabeth for 1 day every 10 years" thing. I would have preferred if they had left that scene in where they show that he's free of the Dutchman.

But oh well, like I posted over in YJCC, I'm just a casual fan of these movies, so I really wasn't disappointed by it. :)

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Saw it again tonight and enjoyed it more- I found more humor in the film than the first go around, which reduced my initial main complaint about the film's lack of humor. Still damn impressed at how well it's woven into the plotlines of the previous films, and how everything comes together quite well.

Love the sequence during the main battle where you see practically every character doing something during the battle, be it shellfish head, the mute parrot guy, the little guy, Gibbs, Jack, Liz, Will, the two pirate stooges, the two english stooges, etc.

9. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Closer to two decades. The Star Wars marathons on USA were a wonderful part of my childhood. They use to run it all the time. My parents would let out a collective groan if we came across A New Hope just starting becasue they knew they wouldn't get the tv back for the rest of the day.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nah, USA was still doing SW marathons in the mid-90's, just up until about when the SE's came out in 97. They almost always did it around thanksgiving and christmas.

11. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    For those who didn't like it, I suggest seeing it a second time. That's what I will be doing because I think the aspects of this movies are missed if you only devote one viewing.

12. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Totally, I've always said that about the pirates films. You always need to see it a second time to get how ingenious the story is.

13. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I hated Pirates 2 the first time, then the second time it was better.

BTW 13m on Friday. 200 mil in 9 days projected.

14. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    I've seen AWE twice, and it was definitely a lot better the second time. The plot was so much easier to follow. I intend on seeing it at least once more later this summer.

15. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I didn't care for it too much. I didn't hate it, but I don't think it topped DMC. I was hoping to see the Kraken in action again, and the ending built up to a huge LOTR-style battle which never happened. Bootstrap was cool, Norrington, Pryce's character and Sao Fend were underused, Sparrow's dad was a better character than I though he would be, Elizabeth was hot, Sparrow's insanity was pretty funny, and Will was annoying. I enjoyed Davy Jones the most though. Best movie villain since Saruman and Darth Sidious.

16. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I agree that Norrington was underused. It felt like they just got rid of him for the sake of getting rid of him.

17. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    You wanna talk about ditching something just because they had no idea what to do with it? Let's talk Kraken.

What kind of idiotic villainous corporation would take control of Davy Jones, captain of the Flying Dutchman and master of the Kraken, and then have him kill the Kraken? That makes as much sense as forcing him to scuttle the Dutchman.

The Kraken is HOW YOU CONTROL THE SEAS, IDIOTS.

18. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Maybe they figured that in order to control Jones, they had to keep a close eye on him. If they had to watch their backs with the Kraken, they would lose focus of Jones. So they thought that getting rid of the Kraken would eliminate Jones' means to double cross the East India Trading Company. The Flying Dutchman seemed to be doing a good job of eliminating pirate vessels on its own. I'm not saying it's a good move, but perhaps that's what they were thinking. Cut off Jones from his pet and ally. Divide and conquer in a sense.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, letting Jones keep the Krakken would be a threat to the IETC. The Dutchman alone was destructive enough. Also remember they wanted prisoners to interrogate- the Krakken's not so good at allowing survivors, whereas at least Jones could be forced to do so eventially. Not to mention it's a good loyalty test- a sorta "let's see if he'll do what we want him to" kinda thing. If he'll kill the Krakken, he'd probably do pretty much anything else instructed to.

20. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm not saying USA wasn't showing them around 1997, I'm saying USA had been showing the trilogy years before that as well.

Found this on Wikipedia
    "In 1992, the Sci-Fi Channel became the first U.S. network to air the three then-existing episodes in the saga. Sci-Fi and USA Network retained TV rights until 1996, in preparation for the theatrical release of the "Special Editions" of the original trilogy."

1992 sounds about right, I would have been 10 years old at that time.

21. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    43m 2nd weekend 216 total. 300 is starting to look questionable.

22. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Agreed. I think we're looking at an Attack of the Clones/Matrix Reloaded box office run.

23. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i havent seen it and now that i read that will and elizabeth are separated i really dont want to see it. i want the hollywood ending.

24. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Well it's not that simple. You want spoilers? It can be explained.

Below:

Will is going to die. He stabs the heart of Davy Jones to kill him and take over the Flying Dutchman. It was either that or death. So, he pays the price. He has to command the Flying Dutchman for 10 years and then he can return to Elizabeth. As long as they were both faithful to their roles during those 10 years, he can return. So he only loses 10 years. Afterwards he and Elizabeth are reunited to live together forever.

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I thought I do something to spice things up.

MY TOP 10 MOMENTS OF THE PIRATES TRILOGY

1) Will Get Whipped (DMC) - You cant show the cruelty of Davey Jones more than you can in this scene making Bootstrap whip his son.
    2) Dining with Barbossa (COTBP) - Elizabeth caves into savage eating. Plus theres the wine and the apple and some ghost stories.
    3) Opening Executions (AWE) - brutal beginning. I love Hoist the Colours. Great way to show what Beckett's done to exterminate the pirates.
    4) Breaking the Curse (COTBP) - When you think Elizabeth is shot, Barbossa is. It's the one bullet used plus I feel cold.
    5) The Brethren Court (AWE) - Sri Sumbajhee. Need I say more. I'm one of the few who liked the whole Pirate King thing. Plus Captain Teague cameo.
    6) Lament for Jack/Barbossa's Return (DMC) - Great cliffhanger plus the unexpected Barbossa return.
    7) Singapore - To the Bath House (AWE) - I love Singapore. Just as we leave the Execution scene. Elizabeth is singing the same song, but she's not alone. ROTJ Jabba's Palace esque.
    8) Jack Arrives at Port Royal (COTBP) - Welcome to Port Royal, Mr. Smith. Also the first time we hear's He's A Pirate
    9) The Maelstrom (AWE) - Great final battle. Wish more ships were there, but it's still energetic.
    10) Liar's Dice (DMC) - I like it because of the lack of communication between Bootstrap and Will and sacrifices going into a little game.

What's all your top 10 moments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.