main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life For Me: The Pirates of the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stiger1

stiger1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2007
    The Singapore pirate costume was made by a Jack Sparrow impersonator. Check out his website here.
    http://www.sithcamaro.com/main.html
    Heck he is even selling said costume on e-bay.

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    It's glad that Jack stuck to the same costume throughout the whole series. Liz however...we got ourselves another Padme on our hands.

3. JediSteve

JediSteve Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Yeah, I've heard of that guy. He's THE Jack impersonator. But these photos I'm referring to showed Depp in the costume, it wasn't that dude. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer Jack's classic duds, but it just seemed weird to me that they'd go to all the trouble to create a new costume for him, write it into the movie and then ultimately drop it. Maybe I'll get my answers on the dvd.

4. stiger1

stiger1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2007
    I read at the pirate message boards I go that he photoshopped Jack's face over his face. True or not I don't know.

5. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    I know. reminded me of Amidala. [face_blush] She would have made a fine Amidala. [face_blush]

6. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Well AWE passed COTBP so I think it's safe to say in domestic and worldwide 2,3,1

7. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I bought DMC on DVD Saturday, and watched it for the first time since I saw it in theaters. When I first saw it, I wasn't quite sure what to think. Over time, my opinion of it soured, but this viewing improved it somewhat. (I usually have to see a movie 2 or 3 times before my viewpoint really cements on it.)

It's still the weakest, and could have been much shorter, but it has its moments. I wonder how much it would benefit just by cutting out a few really groan-inducing parts (Jack-kebob slapstick, bullet-time musketball, etc.)... my guess is greatly. The fight on the wheel is very blatant Set Piece Action Time and too long, but it is fun and I do love how Orlando plays his dizziness once it stops in the water.

Not great, but not as bad as I remember. Now I'm looking forward to when AWE comes out on DVD.

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I can't wait to do a trilogy marathon. I think everything'll make sense more once I do.

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    DVD Active says AWE for 12/4

Here's some details. No artwork yet.

Disney has announced single ($29.99) and 2-disc ($34.99) editions of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End which stars Johnny Depp. Each will be available to own from the 4th December. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. The only extra material on the single-disc will be an audio commentary, and a blooper reel. The two-disc edition should include that too (although the commentary track isn't listed for some reason), along with an Anatomy of a Scene: The Maelstrom, a Keith & the Captain featurette on the cameo by Keith Richards, a Tale of the Multiple Jacks featurette, a Hoist the Colors featurette, a Masters of Design five part documentary (Jim Byrkit and The Map, Crash McCreary and the Krusty Pirates, Rick Heinrichs and the Singapore Set, Penny Rose and the Captain Teague Costumes, and Chris Peck and the Pirate Code Book), and an Inside the Brethren Court feature that takes a closer look at the legendary Pirate Lords. Completing the package will be The Pirate Code: Revealed feature, a World of Chow Yun Fat feature that looks at sensation Chow Yun Fat's rise to fame, and another featurette on the music of Hans Zimmer.

Also available from the 4th December will be a Blu-ray release of the film. The Blu-ray Disc includes a high-definition presentation, along with 7.1 Surround. Extras wise the Blu-ray version will include all of the standard DVD bonus content re-mastered in high-definition, plus exclusive BD-Java enhanced features including "Enter the Maelstrom," an extensive interactive look at the climactic sequence of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and the return of the Jolly Roger host, who navigates users through animated menus with state-of-the-art BD-Java enabled artificial intelligence. This scurvy scallywag entertainingly guides you through the pirate waters of your Blu-ray experience, responding to your actions (and your inactions) with humorous commentary. Retail will be $35.99. Stay tuned for the official package artwork.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
  11. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
  12. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Uh... So I just finally got around to watching the 3rd Pirates movie, and I've just gotta say how much the ending got on my nerves. Not sure if anyone's mentioned this before, so sorry if I'm retreading old ground here.

But why, why, why does a set of rules saying that Will (now aka the captain of the Flying Dutchman) can only come to shore once every ten years mean that Elisabeth Swan (now aka the King of the Pirates, whatever gender issues that might bring up, and a kickass seafaring pirate broad in any case) has to stay on shore and pine for him for ten years?

I mean, one of the great things about PotC was always the way its characters gleefully double-crossed, tricked and bamboozled each other. You could even make an argument that happiness and survival through the subversion of "the rules" was an actual theme of the movies!

Am I the only one who thought the movie should have ended with Elisabeth jumping on board the Flying Dutchman, giving Will a big smooch, flipping Calypso the bird and reminding her that Will's duties don't preclude him from having a seafaring wife?

Disappointing if you ask me. [face_frustrated]

13. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Kinda agree, there, though I think the point of making her Pirate King was to imply she's not going to simply pine for Will for the next decade -- she's become fully involved in the world of pirates, and thus probably had a few adventures in the interim.

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    She DID make a fine Amidala.

15. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I just wish they wouldn't have let the series stray so far into the realm of lamesville. It started out as a really cool swashbuckler and became a movie full of fish-people, giant women, and silly gags like the fruit shishcabob scene.

They're enjoyable, but they just got carried away with the special effects and forgot how to tell a good story. I just felt the series could've been so much more than it was and it really wouldn't have taken much.

The Sword fights were really cool up until they're fighting on a giant water wheel rolling through the jungle, or the Davey Jones/Jack Sparrow fight atop the tallest mast of the black pearl, during that huge storm at the end of AWE, then they just got too carried away.

There also weren't enough ship battles...

D_M_S_L

16. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    *fixed.
    If you want ship battles, watch Master and Commander or the new Elizabeth film...at least rumor has it that there will be ship battles in it.

17. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I want better story telling... ;)

D_M_S_L

18. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    DVD is confirmed for 12/4 and the artwork has been released:

[image=http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ha9vz6hDL._SS500_.jpg]

19. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    Woo, got my copy today. Shame I have to wait until christmas to watch it though [face_plain] I don't think I can hold out another month.

And also anyone else who's bought it today (Britain mainly), did anyone else notice that it includes deleted scenes? And with commentary by Gore Verbinski too. A turn up for the books I'd say considering the lack of them on the DMC release. And the fact they weren't mentioned in the original press relase IIRC.

20. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm watching the film just now and plan on watching the bloopers and deleted scenes straight after. I'll let you know what I think then.

21. PadmeLover1991

Mar 22, 2005
    I hope the deleted scenes are good, they better make up for the lack of them on DMC as well. Hopefully we will get to see that explanation of the 'dutchman curse' everyone had heard about.

22. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    It was mentioned somewhere that it was filmed and then later removed from the feature during the editing process. I'd like to see the scene included on the DVD as well.

23. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    OK here's the bad news: There's only two deleted scenes. One is Ragetti and Pintel talking about riddles in the freezing part of the trip to Davy Jones Locker and the other is "Two Captains, One Ship" which is Sparrow and Barbossa fighting over the wheel.

Disappointing really. No explanation of the curse.

24. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    Only two scenes? That's pretty disappointing, especially with no mention of the curse. Maybe one of the extras or commentaries will discuss it?

25. PadmeLover1991

Mar 22, 2005
    Well that's sullied my expectations. At least I've got the movie itself to look forward too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.