main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Yo Joe!" G.I. Joe Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Can be seen here.

Screenshots (from Joebattlelines.com):

[image=http://www.joebattlelines.com/m6d/Movie/GIJoe_03.jpg]

[image=http://www.joebattlelines.com/m6d/Movie/GIJoe_12.jpg]

[image=http://www.joebattlelines.com/m6d/Movie/GIJoe_15.jpg]

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    This is the first and only time I've ever used the following term, but I really, really mean it:

ZOMG!

Seriously, the trailer looks AWESOME. Very much looking forward to this. =D=

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It might be cool. Visually, looks nice. But I hated Transformers and the trailers looked cool. So...

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks pretty good for a Superbowl commercial spot- looking forward to the full trailer, so they can better land a couple of those shots with room to breath (they need to hold on Snake Eyes a tad longer so people in the audience can go nuts).

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It's official.

I no longer understand our culture.

When did GI Joe become the X-Men?

6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm not sure what to think. It looks cool but it doesn't really feel like G.I. Joe more like G.I. Matrix.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently those more Matrixy shots are part of a chase sequence with the Joes using a type of power armor. That explanation kind of fits with the concept, as it;s less about their ability and more about the random new tech introduced in this week's episode ;)

8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    It only "feels like The Matrix" because of the black suits, not because of any stylistic or story likeness. Those suits are only featured in one extended sequence. The producer has said the JOEs wear different outfits throughout the movie.

So, aside from not liking the black suits because they're too Matrix-y, what else is there to object to or dislike? This looks and feels like GI JOE, and I'm lovin' it!

9. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Personally, I'm only really a fan of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, so if we can get a Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow movie out of the success of this thing... I'm down for it. GI Joe Sigma Six was good only because it focused almost exclusively on the Joe ninjas.

That's what I want... GI Joe: Ninja Force.

10. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I think you mean "when did the X-Men become a motorcycle racing team?" ;)

I don't really see a problem though. The original RAH G.I. Joes were all clad in the same uniform green costume (with the exception of Scarlett and Snake Eyes). Likewise, the movie's provided the Joes with a "team outfit" (to which Snake Eyes is again an exception), just in black to reflect their nature as a covert operations group.

Yep, and lest we forget, powered armour's been a part of the Joe mythos since the old S.N.A.K.E. suits back in 1984.

Yes, but the black suits seem to be their default garb. These suits:

[image=http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/Hospitaller_Knight/Accelerator_Suits_1.jpg]

...are apparently only featured in one scene, which is a crying shame given how darned awesome they are. :D

[face_peace]

On the contrary, Sigma 6 was only good because it offered up what was essentialy knight's armour Snake Eyes. :p

Got it. ;)

11. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    http://www.joebattlelines.com/m6d/Movie/GIJoe_12.jpg
    Is that kevlar?

12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    PFFT. The best of the old GI Joe comics that Marvel put out were the Ninja Force ones. The whole story of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow was great. It fell off when they started another crossover with Transformers and was axed pretty quick. Though that did introduce a new form for Megatron... tank mode.

13. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Wrong. The first 100 issues were the best of the run. Everything after that was more or less a rapid trot downhill, exemplified most blatantly by the whole "Ninja Force" digression. [face_peace]

It fell off when the Snake Eyes-Stormshadow subplot began to overwhelm the rest of the comic.

14. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I mean, seriously, conservation of Ninjitsu and all that sort of thing. :p

15. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    No way dude, you're so wrong.

Hence why the Devil's Due GI Joe comic series going on now focuses on Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes still. Because that stuff sells. Larry Hama's still in charge too. There will be a Ninja Force movie, mark my words.

16. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Am I? ;)

Devil's Due hasn't published G.I. Joe comics for a while now. The license has been passed on to IDW, which has started a new title, rebooting the universe again. Larry Hama has himself stated that the heart and soul of G.I. Joe is about the grunts, not the ninjas, and the "Ninja Force" concept itself was a failed attempt to boost sales when the line was declining. Snake Eyes and Stormshadow remain, but no one cares about Ninja Force or the characters specific to it.

A film adaptation of Chuck Norris and the Karate Commandos is an unlikely proposition, to say the least. :p

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Dude, Hama continually goes with ninjas.

Plus the whole Valor vs Venom from a few years back was entirely focused on the ninjas.

Besides, tongue-in-cheek and all that. The ninjas were always the most interesting Joes to me, and remain so. I'm way more interested in seeing what they let Ray Park do as Snake-Eyes than I am in anything else going on in this movie. Although, I do really want to see Destro in the metal mask/helmet... so I want to see this ex-Dr Who in that get up.

I fully expect this movie to be all spectacle though, and little else.

18. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Yes, and...?

I'm beginning to detect a certain inconsistency in the way your brain processes information... :p

Well, Snake Eyes has always been my favourite Joe, and Ray Park is one of my favourite things in movies today, so Ray Park as Snake Eyes in a G.I. Joe movie is sort of a chocolate-and-peanut-butter thing for me, really. I just wish the actress they'd cast as Scarlett wasn't quite so tall...

I have to say Quaid and Eccleston's exchange towards the end was probably my favourite part of the trailer, even above the powered armour and Snake Eyes goodness.

We'll see. :)

19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Just seems to have the whole asthetic of Transformers... which makes a certain kind of sense, especially if they ever decide to do a crossover... but Transformers was little more than spectacle, and unfortunately it was pretty much uniformly gun metal grey spectacle with shaky cam. I wanted clean shots of bots bashing each other.

I wonder what Cobra is going to be like here... Are we going to see BATs for instance?

20. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Wow, a trailer with so much flash and splash that you can't really see what is happening at all... When will directors learn that there is no point in an action sequence if the audience cannot SEE the action? Shakey-cam, glitz, blur, undercranking, and fuzzy all impede the ability to see, and thus (for me anyway) appreciate the action.

For example: in The Living Daylights, James Bond runs through Tangiers, over rooftops, up and down buildings, and escapes the people chasing him. The sequence is exciting, enjoyable, and has the thrill of suspense. And we can SEE what is happening.
    Bourne Supremacy (or was it Ultimatum?) had Borne running through what looks like the exact same area (from what little can be seen), but it is almost impossible to derive any enjoyment from the sequence because I cannot see what is happening except for some short, shakey clips that seldom last more than a second. And it's a great pity, because the short bursts of clarity show that a great deal of effort went into choreographing the sequence, but no one will ever see the work.

Same problem with Transformers: it was impossible to actually see the robots. Clutter that with rejected jokes from American Pie, and the whole thing was a mess.

Looks like G.I.Joe is going to be the same problem

21. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Yes, what a shame the true cunning of the Decepticons and the threat their plans posed to humanity failed to crossover from the cartoons to the movie... :p

Ordinarily, I'd probably be indifferent, but I've run across so many people insisting that Duke and Ripcord's powered armour must actually be a pair of B.A.T.s for whatever reason (despite set photos showing Channing Tatum and Marlon Wayans wearing said costumes) that I'm hoping that there aren't any in the film just to spite them.

Do you have access to some trailer I haven't seen yet, perchance? o_O

I'd be surprised. Going by The Mummy, The Mummy Returns and Van Helsing, it doesn't seem as though Stephen Sommers is particularly obsessed with shaky-cam shots the way that, say, Paul Greengrass is (though Sommers does seem to love slow-motion...).

22. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I missed this last night, by I saw it on Canada AM this morning. This looks EXCEPTIONALLY badass. I can't wait to see this.

24. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    There's no "shaky-cam" in the GI JOE trailer. All the action shots are crystal clear, brightly lit and sword-edge-sharp. Show me one "blurry" or "fuzzy" image from the trailer, and I'll eat my proverbial hat.

Sommers has made one bona fide classic (TM), one slightly silly sequel (TMR) and one over-the-top misfire (VH). I believe and hope the man is smart enough to learn from his mistakes, and that GI JOE will be the best of his pop-culture phenom popcorn flicks.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ::inserts his obligatory "How the heck can people not like the-obviously-superior TMR more than the inconsistent TM" comment::

::VH did blow tremendously, however- I think all are agreed on that::