main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Yo Joe!" G.I. Joe Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    Hate the black outfits. They?d be good on one or two characters like Wetsuit and Torpedo, seeing that they look something like what Special Forces divers would wear, but not as some weird Matrix kung-fu outfit for all the Joes. The regular Joes should?ve been kitted out in a near future equivalent of regular US Forces BDUs and armed with next generation equipment, not get all Star Wars on us. Same with Cobra. They should?ve been like near future Nazis, not kitted out like the Empire. In my opinion the makers look as if they?ve gone too futuristic on us.

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    EDIT-Removed

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    EDIT-Removed

4. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    EDIT-Removed

5. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    EDIT- Removed

6. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    All americans have guns and ride horses and get drunk and shoot things (and people), just like the old westerns...

Um, if you go to the last page, you might find the start of the thinking. Basically, we were trying to figure out which origin for Cobra would be used, and which had been used already by different media.

thank you, Francis Urquat.

7. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    EDIT-Removed

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Guys- leave the sociopolitical discussion for the Senate board.

9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Just remember what Gung-Ho said guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AjcDW7zIY8&feature=related

Knowing is half the battle. ;)

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I confess I would have preferred a costume design aesthetic that's as individualistic and expressive of character as the action figures, including football jerseys and other items of personal "flair". But maybe that approach was deemed too "ragtag", visually, for the filmmakers' purposes in presenting a unified team of special operatives. And in fairness, the first line of 80s 3 3/4" figures had the JOEs in dark green fatigues, as close to a uniform as the team ever got. Maybe, hopefully, we'll get more individualistic attire in sequels.

11. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    EDIT- Discussion removed.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Lets keep the discussion of the movie the primary focus of this thread. Anything going into the social and political aspects should be moved to the Senate like The2ndQuest stated a few post before. We don't want things to get out of hand here or I'll have to bust out the hammer.[face_whistling]

13. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Finally saw the new trailer last night and was completely underwhelmed.

Those combat suits are close to the Starship Troopers suits, but what worked for Heinlein does not look so good in GI Joe.

The mysterious green metal eating swarm? WTF? I'm sorry, but it doesn't do anything for me but underwhelm me.

Some of the aspects look cool, but it looks to me like they tried too hard to go Bay Transformers I with fast action, zoom in to slow motion and then speed up gain, while not having any basis in reality at all. Maybe it's just me, but this trailer does NOT make me want to see the movie.

Sorry, but GI Joe Resolute is kicking this live action's version *** up one side and down the other.

While I'll no doubt see this movie at some point, right now it looks like a Netflix movie at best.

14. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    They look perfect, and are a natural progression of the "15 minutes into the future" theme that's underscored the whole G.I. Joe vs Cobra setting, which in the past 26 years has seen stealth bombers, man-portable infantry laser weapons, autonomous armed drone vehicles, mass-produced, disposable combat androids, genetically-engineered super-soldiers and more than a few suits of powered armour.

I take it you've never seen the old Sunbow series then. :p

Sorry, but that's yet to be determined. ;)

15. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Back to my entire point. Is Cobra going to just be evil for the sake of being evil, or are they going to have a reason for it? Coherent ideology? Or just nebulously evil for no apparent reason? In the cartoons Cobra wasn't exactly depicted as even necessarily having a political ideology outside their vague resemblance to the Soviets and Nazis(and thus the decidedly "foreign" depiction of Cobra). At least with regards to Destro being an illegal arms dealer there's just hints he wants to benefit as much as possible from people's tendancy to kill each other. I just don't like to see the usual "they are just bad guys and that's it" sort of thing being depicted in a world that's decidedly less fantastical than Star Wars or LOTR. Those are mythological and thus symbolic, G.I.Joe has never really been that.

EDIT- And Boom goes the dynamite...

16. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    EDIT-Removed

17. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    What we seem to have here is a failure to communicate. The mods have already asked once to drop the matter.
    NEITHER of you appears to be reading the other's comments as intended.
    I suggest you both step back, drop some attitude, relax, and preferablly let the matter go and get back to the movie. Otherwise, perhaps continue the discussion via PM or on the forum suggested by the Mods?

18. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    EDIT-Removed

19. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    EDIT-Removed

20. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
  21. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    I was hoping that Cobra would be like gritty near future Nazi types, but from what I've seen of CC it looks as if all we're going to get is cartoony Sci-Fi rubbish from the villains, just to please the Brady Bunch naive people in society.

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm with Q_M on this one. The movie looks great, the suits are awesome and perfectly in-line with the sci-fi bent of the 80s figure line and cartoon series, and the action scenes in the trailer look prepared to stomp ***.

23. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Finally, back on topic...
    In the comics, cobra commander was not a dolt. He was a charasmatic leader who managed to continually thwart the US military and intelligence services. While his operations did not always succeed, he did cause a great deal of trouble, amassed huge resources (enough to keep Destro on retainer, buy a huge stockpile of weapons and equipment, and support the R&D budget to invent/develop new machines) and build up a mammoth international organization. And he did it from a grass-roots campaign. Hardly a dolt. For a short time, CC was replaced in the organization by one of his Crimson Guardsmen, who was not up to the job and had to rely on Barroness, but that was a short-term problem, and he wasn't really a dolt either. Hopefully the movie CC will be closer to the comics than the TV show.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So long as he lives to show up in a Transformer movie... ;)

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/e/ed/CC-OldSnake01.jpg]

25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    But which era of the comics? I have a good number of the Marvel issues and he was never particularly impressive there and his resources were pretty mysterious, much like the TV show, as I recall. I can't speak for the Devil's Due and IDW comics, though... alot of that was rebooted wasn't it? I mean, from the Marvel line anyways.