main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Yo Joe!" G.I. Joe Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, Jan 31, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A hard bomb would taint the brand name as unbankable/unlaunchable. It's not like Batman where they can say "See? before we made that awful movie, we made a couple that were recieved very well and did big buisness! It's not much of a risk trying again.".

They need a situation like Hulk or Star Trek where they can point to middle-of-the-road/mild-hit success as a reason to bank a relaunch or sequel.

Otherwise you'll get a GI Joe movie reboot/sequel with the budget of an episode of JAG, at best.

2. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    Good point ... although I immediately had a vision of a minimalist G.I. Joe -- something resembling The Unit: Gritty military action, but with the distinct costumes, maniacal villains, and, of course ... ninjas.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But you gotta have the budget for the hardware and location shooting (and, ideally, the cast).

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    How plugged in do you need to be to be able to write "this movie will suck"? that's so simple, it isn't even funny. 99% of all movies suck. One that doesn't is a statistical annomoly. A surprise. An unesxpected pleasure.

Like The Mummy. Wasn't expecting much. Got something way better than I ever imagined. Went to see The Mummy Returns expecting something at least as good, and ended up swearing off paying full-price to see a movie for 5 years. Still do so only with great reluctance (usually when I'm being dragged to see something with a bunch of friends).

As for Transformers movies... Well, they were awful. As transformers movie. As adolescent escapism, I guess they might have been ok, but they had absolutely no connection to the Transformers universe whatsoever outside of a few names. Enough of that. I'm sure you've heard it all before, and most of my complaints won't be original.

No, we have G.I.Joe. The outstanding cast (the previously known actors) with a good support cast, working with a 1/2 way decent script and a competent director should turn out at least an enjoyable movie. It is possible that the movie will be good. It is possible that the movie will be attrocious. What I would really like is for people to sit back and relax, wait for the movie to come out, and put a gag in the throughts of all the "industry insiders" so deep that it blocks their brachial tubes.

5. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    You can't mean the live action movies, can you? :confused:

6. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yes, I can, I will, and I do.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You're in for a surprise.

8. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    What do you mean by that? :confused: If you mean it stinks just because it?s nothing like a 25 year old cartoon then that?s okay by me. I?ll judge the new film on its own merits and disregard the old kids? cartoon. :)

9. Jedi Vince

Aug 2, 1999
    Great call, Black-Tiger.

Besides Star Wars, 300, and the Dark Knight, I had more fun with Michael Bay's Transformers than with any other recent film.

Anyone see the new G.I. JOE poster?

10. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I preferred the comic book version myself.
    Remember how much flack Lucas took for disregarding the expectations of the old fans for the sake of entertaining the kiddies while making the sucky prequels?
    If you're going to make a movie called "Fumbleberries" supposedly based on the old version (be it TV, radio, comic, cartoon, old movie, or whatever), and you spend over 1/2 the movie on material that in no way ties into the original Fumbleberries, you're better off just making something else and calling it something else. I also hate shakeycam. Film is a visual media. If I cannot see what is going on, I get annoyed. During the fight sequences, it is almost impossible in MB's abomination to actually see what is happening clearly. Some call that style. I call it a big waste of my time and money.
    However, this is getting off-topic. This is the G.I.Joe thread. If you'd like, I'd be happy to continue this via PM.

11. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Not being a Transformers fan I didn?t bother going to see the first live action movie when it came out in the cinema, ironically because I thought it was just going to be a big budget live action take on the cartoon, including a supped up rendition of the cartoon?s theme music. But once I got the DVD (still with low expectations) I was really, really surprised how good it was! I really, really enjoyed the film. I even sent off for the US release of the soundtrack! I for one am glad Bay didn?t copy, what is just a kid?s franchise and made it more mature, something everyone can enjoy watching without squirming in their seats with embarrassment.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That new poster is...crowded. It'd work well as a forum banner, actually. :p

I have to agree with that's site's commentary- it's just advertising Miller's backside, and Storm Shadow is out of place with his eyeline. Bad poster- not terrible, just cheap looking.

That's not what I meant. Only that you'll find a great amount of dislike for the TF live action movie- mostly by Transformers fans, but also film fans who dislike Michael Bay's work. You seemed unaware that a lot of people dislike (or, at the very least, have serious issues with) the movie, and thus my comment.

I don't think the TF movie stunk- I enjoyed it quite a bit. There was a surprising amount of humor and I liked the Marty McFly take on Spike.

However, I did loathe the awful robot designs (visual FX quality and animation not withstanding) which led to audience visual confusion (especially combined with the shakycam), the overabundance of human characters that added nothing to the movie (and, in some cases, literally had plotlines that just vanished, like the hackers) and lack of development of the robot characters, particularly the Decepticons, since they have so much potential to explore dramatically (especially drawing upon the classic and modern comicbook material).

In essence, it was the Batman Forever for a franchsie capable of delivering a Batman Begins or Dark Knight.

However, the sequel looks to be a little more promising, as the filmmakers have seemingly acknowledged the aforementioned faults in the first movie and revised things to compensate (slightly better, more armored and/or colorful robot designs and design revisions to better distinguish the bots, less extraneous human characters, more focus on a mythology. Not quite to the maximum potential of the franchise, but something closer to Batman or Batman Returns.

13. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    The G.I. Joe poster is a wasted opportunity. You know what the best recent and one of the best all time movie posters is? ROTK.

[image=http://www.theargonath.cc/pictures/posters/rotkposter7.jpg]

And the horizontal version was even better! Now, that collage type of poster is the bee?s knees, real atmospheric, dramatic and action packed, something a G.I. Joe movie is perfect for. Believe me, I?m an arty type and I know my stuff.

Oh, and what are Cobra doing in the Emperor?s throne room? :confused:

14. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Ahem. There's nothing wrong with advertising Sienna Miller's ass-et.

15. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I find it odd that Cobra are hanging out in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon. Also that Baroness' butt cheeks are edge-lit in three dimensions, worthy of their own zip code and representing a bizarre curvature of the actress' spine in order to protrude them.

Also, despite my defense of the film for possible merit so far, chalk me up as "not a fan" of the black Batman-type body armor that seems to have gripped the imaginations of the production team. I realize the JOEs only wear this stuff for a few scenes, but as many have noted, they should have made the armor more heroic and personalized to the characters.

16. Black-Tiger

Nov 25, 2008
    Beautiful women in figure hugging black leather and rubber....

17. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Those are BSG Assault Rifles...FAIL.

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Should be 2 separate posters: one with GIJoe, one with Cobra. and Landscape rather than portrait. or only 3 people in it if you want portrait. 4 people looks unbalanced. The armor looks like it should be in Punisher Warzone 2 in this pic. Other images of the armor look much better.

19. Jedi Vince

Aug 2, 1999
    BSG's carbines are just modified British SA-80s. These look similar, but the stock looks more like an Israeli Tavor, or even the Belgium P90 -- like the ones used in Stargate SG-1.

Either way, the ones in BSG are nothing new either.

20. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    And here's where the problems lie.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  22. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    You know, as little as I expect out of the quality of this movie, I just can't help but admit it looks really cool.

I mean I don't expect to even like it when I walk out of the theatre, but I do think it has some nice eye candy.

23. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Script, Actors, Director(s).
    A deficiency in one can be overcome by the other two. No one factor can overcome deficiencies in both of the others.
    So far, we have a mixed-bag cast (some good and some unknown), a mixed bag director (some good work, some horrid garbage, and an unknown script.
    There is potential for excellence.
    There is potential for disaster.
    The best, most logical, course of action is to wait and see.

24. Jedi Vince

Aug 2, 1999
    I think the footage is very slick.

It's really easy to see the influence of the old James Bond films -- especially Thunderball with the underwater facility -- in these clips. I remember reading an interview with the screenwriters where they said they were approaching the film like 007, or even the old Mission: Impossible series.

A big fan of both 007 and Mission: Impossible, I am very excited about this film -- can't wait.

25. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I don't know much about GI Joe, but I always thought it was a cartoon about soldiers fighting in past WWII or in that era. When I saw the trailer the first thing that came to mind is OMG!!! it is the Halo preview. As to my surprise it wasn't even close. I'ts like they want GI Joe to be cool so they write a completely different plot of what it was when it first came out.

Who would of thought GI Joe and Aliens in a movie.:rolleyes: