main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Yo Saddam - I'm callin' you out!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by run, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000
  2. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    [image=http://idisk.mac.com/kfiralfia/Public/protest_warrior/images/posters/sign_09.jpg]

3. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    So what were the other ones?

4. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Well some relief...

The Australian Govt is only sending HMAS Sydney now to the Gulf, not 3 ships as originally intended!

5. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    [image=http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030409/capt.1049901490.war_us_iraq_northern_front_sulf102.jpg]

[image=http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030409/capt.1049908361.iraq_us_war_jbm104.jpg]

[image=http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20030409/mdf253076.jpg]

[image=http://www.strangecosmos.com/9351.jpg]

6. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Heh heh heh...

You know stinrab, the funny thing is that if Muhammad Saeed Al-Sahaf is actually alive, or hasnt already been lynched by mobs, he will probably say exactly that!

7. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    What's that I hear from the anti-war crowd? Could it be... is it... yes!

Deafening silence.

8. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    What I find disgusting is all the people saying that they hope the HMAS Sydney hits a landmine and everyone on board dies. Or that Greenpeace should mine naval bases and stuff.

Quite disturbing that so many think that the silly people who got on board Sydney and decided to sit in her road, are heroes.

To me, they should be charge according to the laws we have. And if you think I'm angry, should see the naval personnel I live here with and a lot of my friends who are navy.

To all the anti war people, spare a thought for those of us with family there. The forces are just doing their jobs and don't deserve the ridicule some Australians are putting forth.

- a navy brat from a multigeneration naval family.

9. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    I'm getting a little sick of seeing that same footage about 189 times in one day, ok, I know that a statue of saddam has been pulled down, I know that iraqi people have benn attacking it with sledgehammers and other stuff, I do not need to be told that 189 times in one day, sheesh.

10. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I'm confused as to all this chemical weapon talk.

I mean, where are they? And why hasn't saddam used them? I mean, he's supposedly dead (again)...

Kinda funny, almost like they don't exist... ha ha.

11. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    They found drums of mustard gas, and apparently have now found some weapons-grade plutonium and a mobile bio-weapons lab - sure, it's only a small one-person caravan, but that's all you really need ...

As for why they didn't use them - probably because that would have swayed public opinion against them. Above all else, this was a propaganda war - using the weapons would have been an admission of guilt and would have swayed public opinion towards the US.

12. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    As for why they didn't use them - probably because that would have swayed public opinion against them. Above all else, this was a propaganda war - using the weapons would have been an admission of guilt and would have swayed public opinion towards the US.

I agree with this. Plus, I think that the chain of command has been broken for much of the war, and no one on the Iraqi side has been able to coordinate battle plans.

The US and Coalition should get to those weapons fast, before other folks get to them.

13. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    ...right....

Cos if I was a blood thirsty dictator and a bunch of other countries invaded my country and started blowing stuff up and trying to kill me, public opinion would be my #1 priority.

Mustard gas. Cutting edge stuff, probably found it lying around after the first world war. why not use that?

Weapons grade plutonium? The stuff in the ice cream van? The stuff that doesn't even rate a mention on the news sites?

How long do you think they'll keep up a fruitless search before WMDs start falling out of US pockets 'oops look what I found'?

14. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

I agree.

It's only mustard gas, and only weapons-grade plutonium, and only a teenie-weenie little one-person chemical weapons facility ...

Why worry.

Those lovable paranoid dictators.

They thrive on Peace Love and Moonbeams.

I'm guessing the US constructed the torture rooms, too. And the civilian torture victims were probably paid actors.

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya!

15. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    ...you believe in fairies too?

Or is that just too fantastical and lacking solid evidence?

Does anyone seriously believe if these WMDs did exist that they would NOT use them? What possible advantage would be gained by not using them?

16. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO U.S.

17. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    ...you believe in fairies too?

Or is that just too fantastical and lacking solid evidence?

Walk around any Uni campus. There are plenty about.

18. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

The Iraqi information minister was telling the world that the US forces were 100 miles from Baghdad and would soon be defeated by the might of the Iraqi army.

Meanwhile, US forces were parked across the road from his office in Baghdad (literally), and most of the Iraqi army had deserted their posts.

Someone certainly believes in fairies.

It's propaganda right to the end.

Iraqi soldiers also left behind protective suits for use against chemical and biological weapons.

Why did they have them?
    Because they thought America was going to use chemical and biological weapons? Not likely.

But even if they did believe America would use bio-chem weapons, why did they then leave the suits behind?
    Because the American threat was over? No. Because the Iraqi threat was over.

Iraq had bio-chem weapons. They claim they destroyed them, but can't prove it.

Did the fairies carry them off?

Hussein knew his days were numbered. He wanted to die a martyr. If he used bio-chem weapons as a last resort, the world and (more importantly) the history books would have seen him differently.

19. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I guess it's kinda like believing in the Christian God.

20. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Isn't it time the anti-war/American mob got busy on gathering propaganda for the next place America is going to rid the opportunity of oppresive regimes and possible WMD threats?

The US moved to freeze assets on the Mugabe regime just recently. Maybe people should start defending him like the French have.

The pictures of the Iraqi people this week were stunning. Their hope for the future is outstanding for the world to see. Hopefully they'll take the opportunity to grab this chance and with any luck, America will back off a little on backing another military type leadership. That seems to be the only bad thing bouncing around at the moment.

And I sincerly hope that the people who didn't want to do anything in Iraq saw their newspapers on Thursday morning. Shame on every protester who wanted to deny them of the hope they've now got. And the TV can keep showing it for all I care, the moment was as big as the Berlin Wall falling and a stunning indictment on people who felt Hussien was fine to keep on keeping on.

21. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    The attitude of the people who still think Hussein should have been left alone disgusts me beyond measure.

I guess it's kinda like believing in the Christian God.

And I suppose all other Gods are much more believable, Kahli?

22. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    You can't just throw everyone who's against the war in the one group. Just because someone opposes the war itself doesn't mean they oppose America. There are people who are against this war because they believe all war should be avoided at all costs, there are those who think America should not consider itself the world's police, and those who want to get rid of Saddam but believe there are better ways of doing it.

To be honest, if the coalition forces find the huge stockpiles of WMDs that they were talking about pre-war, then I will never have been so happy to be so wrong. As it is, they've made many Iraqi citizens happy - for now. But the US's primary justification for this war was the weapons they believed Saddam was stockpiling, and they haven't found anything that even resembles half a weapon yet. If they do, then great, we stopped him using them. But if no actual WMDs exist, and the US still claims it a victory because they freed Iraq from oppression, they've set a sticky precedent for themselves. There's an awful lot of oppressed people in the world for them to free after Iraq.

23. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

This human-shield* woman is still moaning and groaning about how terrible war is and we shouldn't have been involved and it never should have happened.

I dare her to go back to Iraq and walk through Baghdad and tell the people there that they should still be living under Hussein's regime.

(Actually, she lives near me apparently; have to keep my eyes open and tell her myself. lol)

Gotta love these people who think everything is a choice between good and evil.

Sometimes it's a choice between two evils.
    You go to war, some people die.
    You don't go to war, lots more people die.
    So you choose the lesser evil, because not choosing the lesser evil is choosing the greater evil.

So just sit back and hope things will turn out rosey, or pray that it will all get better (keeping in mind the Christian God's history of love and tolerance for muslims...) and I'm sure it will.

There's an awful lot of oppressed people in the world for them to free after Iraq.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

24. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    keeping in mind the Christian God's history of love and tolerance for muslims...

I don't know if I should be asking what you're getting at here...

Regardless, perhaps it is better to keep religion out of this thread (i'm Shara would have something to say along those lines). After all, this is about Saddam and Iraq and all that business.

Speaking of which, I have to agree with what wedge and CCD have said (and probably most of what Oz has said too). It actually made me feel kinda good to see the Iraqi people so happy.

And I think I'll stop there, before I get to the part where I start insulting small sub-groups of people and whatnot. :D

25. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    As far as weapons are concerned, I think it is highly unrealistic to find any only 3 weeks into this war. Unless the Coalition gets some hard evidence from senior Iraqi figures, chances are the weapons will remain hidden for a long time, and people will come across them over the next ten years or so.

I dare her to go back to Iraq and walk through Baghdad and tell the people there that they should still be living under Hussein's regime.

I've had people tell me (including a member of this board) that Saddam hssein was actually a good leader, because he provided education and health for free, can you beelive. I'm sure the whole dictatorship and purging thing was a minor oversight. Viva la revolucion.

[image=http://idisk.mac.com/kfiralfia/Public/protest_warrior/images/posters/sign_21.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.