main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda... head of the Jedi Council.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by JMaster Luke, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    When watching the OT we always knew that Yoda was wiser and a more experience Jedi then Obi wan (heck he is 900 years old and said he trained jedi for 800)

But was there any information about Yodas past before the prequals came out? Did everyone always know that Yoda was in some way one of the leaders of the Jedi?

Would the PT work if Yoda was just a Jedi Master? Lets say they kept yoda as Obi wans master and had yoda going to tattoonie with obi wan and finding anakin, would people except Yoda as just a Jedi Master and not one of the wises Jedi on the Council?

As for me when i first saw TPM trailer and saw Yoda was part of the wises Jedi that made sense to me and i never thought twice about it. But were any of you suprised at all that even though Yoda is wise, that now they had made him the wises Jedi of them all?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    To be honest, I was very suprised that there was even a Jedi Council. I always imagined Yoda was the wisest of the jedi but never thought there was an actual organisation where he sat in council with other masters. I always figured that there was only one jedi master (Yoda) over a bunch of jedi knights. The prequels sure were different than I thought they would be!

3. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    I could never imagine Yoda as being just a Jedi Master or an apprentice.

4. Jainalover

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes I used to think there was only one jedi master and he was it. All other jedi were knights or something.

5. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    Well i knew there would have to be more then one Jedi Master.... i just didn't know their would be leaders (Jedi Council). I just didn't know out of ALL the Jedi, Yoda would be the greatest of all Jedi.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I always imagined Yoda as the leader of the Jedi.

7. Darth_Fless

Darth_Fless Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    "My own council did I keep..." - Yoda, ESB.

It would be intersting to know how long Yoda has been head of the council.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I always thought he would be the leader or one of them.

I think Mace is actually the leader and Yoda is second in command.

9. Jainalover

Jan 17, 2004
    The actual ESB quote is "Counsel" and not "Council." And I have been wondering if it really is Master Windu who is head of the Jedi Council. Watch the scenes in AotC where he seems to be taking the lead of important decisions over Yoda.

10. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    I would think that the Jedi Council wouldn't have one leader. thats why there are 12 of them. they descide as a group what to do or not. If it was just up to yoda didn't he say he wouldn't let anakin be trained? or is it the other way around?

Either way i dont think theres one leader in the council.... but some Jedi seem to be more important. Only council members that seem to say anything are Yoda, mace, and Ki adi mundi.

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Yoda and Mace do seem more important. They're probably regarded as the two wisest on the council, which is why they have a kind of leader position. My guess is that the council usually have two "leaders"; one old and one young(Mace is only 40 in TPM), to keep things balanced.

I never thought there would be a council either. When I saw a trailer for TPM where Yoda was sitting in his chair doing his "Fear is the path to the dark side" speech, I thought he would just be a wise old Jedi Master that the others would turn to for counsel. Like Dalai Llama or something. I didn't think he would be the only one in such a position, though.
    No, wait a minute! When I saw Sidious and Maul in the trailer and Maul said "At last we will reveal ourselves" etc, I thought they were part of a Jedi council. So I did believe there would be a council, only I didn't have a clue what it would be like.

12. Jainalover

Jan 17, 2004
    In other words, you feel that Yoda was there for extreme cases when jedi needed direction and then they went to seen him. Kind of like how Luke was guided by Ben to go see Yoda when things were getting bad.

13. Darth_Sacrilicious

Darth_Sacrilicious Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 30, 2003
    "I think Mace is actually the leader and Yoda is second in command. "
    this makes sense to me too. doesn't mace tell qui-gon the decision about training anakin.
    but, yeah, i always thought of yoda as being a leader of the jedi, although it never seemed as concrete until the movie came out.

14. SaeseeJim

SaeseeJim Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2003
    This is how the Jedi Council works....

Something is reported to them. They have a meeting and discuss things, and try to decide how the conflict should be dealt with, and who to send on certain missions. Then the appropriate people are called before the Council and given orders usually by Mace or Yoda. Yoda and Mace also usually have the last say in any matter.

So in other words Yoda and Mace can be considered also as spokesmen as well as leaders

For example when Qui Gon ask to have Anakin trained. They had Anakin tested and after he was tested they had a meeting and discussed whether Anakin should be trained.

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Notice that Yoda doesn't actually seem to do anything. Mace seems to do most of the work (testing Anakin, rendering decisions on training, rep to the Supreme Chancellor). This is XO (executive officer, 2nd in command) stuff if you ask me. Yoda is the leader, IMO, with Mace doing all the stuff Yoda doesn't want to.

Although their relationship seems almost as equals; in AOTC; neither of them gives orders to the other when deciding what to do. Each simply says what he's gonna do, without waiting for approval from the other.

16. Jainalover

Jan 17, 2004
    I think it is possible Mace is doing the work of the XO. I had not thought of that. :)

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.