main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda was Obi-wan's master

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by newwillorder, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    Hey TPM fans (and non-fans). I posted this in a thread on the 3SA board but that thread pretty much outlived its usefulness. I don't know if anyone on that board saw it so I decided to post it here. It concerns the whole issue about who was Obi-wan's master. In ESB he says Yoda is his master, but in TPM it looks like Qui-Gonn is his master. Here's my take on it. I haven't searched all the threads in this forum so if there is already a thread on this topic, I apologize.

Let me tell you little about my situation right now. I am in college studying to be an elementary school teacher. For the past two years I've had many classes and professors instructing me in the art of teaching. This year is my final year and I am interning for a year at an elementary school and working closely with a mentor teacher and her class. I'm basically taking all the knowledge that I learned at the University and applying it in a real classroom and my mentor teacher is there to guide me and help me get into my role as a teacher.

I mention this because I think it is a lot like what Obi-wan and other Jedi Knights have had to go through. Obi-wan in his early years lives and goes to school at the Jedi Temple, kind of like Hogwarts in the Harry Potter series. There Yoda and possibly other instructors teach him about the Jedi code, the ways of the Jedi, how to use their powers, how to use a lightsaber, etc. Then when he reaches a certain age he is assigned to Qui-Gonn and its Qui-Gonn's job to help him adjust in the real world and accompany him on dangerous missions. So in other words, Qui-Gonn really wasn't Obi-wan's instructor, and that probably explains why they have such a different point of view on certain issues. Qui-Gonn was his mentor and advisor but Obi-wan learned the ways of the Force at the Jedi Temple with Yoda and possibly some other Jedi Masters as his instructors.

To me it is really as simple as that. In my humble opinion I don't see a contradiction between what we see in Phantom Menace and what was established in Empire Strikes Back.

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I think you're pretty much right. Yoda was Obi-Wan's master first, then Qui-Gon became his master when he was apprenticed to him. I see no contradiction.

3. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Absolutely correct. Unfortunately, too many people get off on nitpicking every little freaking detail.

4. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    You are correct, and the same applies to Dooku if you know his back story

5. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Long story short: Yoda trains all the Jedi at a very young age until they understand all the Jedi basics. Then they get a master of their own to accomplish them on missions for the peace.

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    But he wasn't "the" master who trained him, just "a" master. GL obviously forgot his wording in ESB. "Certain point of view" I guess [face_frustrated]

7. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    But he wasn't "the" master who trained him, just "a" master. GL obviously forgot his wording in ESB. "Certain point of view" I guess

Yeah, GL should really change the line to this:

" . . Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me. Well, the fist one, anyway. See he trained me when I was a Padawan, which is a young Jedi, but you'll never be that so never mind. My REAL Master was Qui-Gon Jinn. But you'll never meet him and he has no real influence on you, so disregard THAT too. Just go to Dagobah."

That would be MUCH better.

-Otis

8. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    No. The point of my argument is that Yoda WAS Obi-wan's real master.

9. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    What we know from the PT is he called QGJ his master and QGJ reported his educational process to the Council. Unless ROTS touches on it, the PT says nothing about him training with Yoda, so I can't accept that Yoda was his "real" master. "A" master, yes, but that's not what's said in ESB.

Otis, yeah, that line would both fit well with the true meaning of his relationship with Yoda and fit the style of the new CT. Sadly, I only wish I was joking.

10. darthnick11

darthnick11 Guest

We have a winner! You...are..correct! almost exactly right. great job!

:)

11. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    >>>>But he wasn't "the" master who trained him, just "a" master. GL obviously forgot his wording in ESB.

In ESB, Obi Wan describes Yoda as "the Jedi Master who instructed me." As in, the Jedi who instructed me, who had the rank "Jedi Master."

At no point in TPM is it stated that Qui Gon Jinn is a Jedi Master. He is described as a Jedi Knight in the opening crawl.

>>>>What we know from the PT is he called QGJ his master and QGJ reported his educational process to the Council.

Which is what we see Obi Wan do with Anakin, but Obi Wan isn't a Jedi Master.

12. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Yoda trains every one before they are selected as Padawan Learners by another Jedi Master or Jedi Knight.
    I reccomend you to read The Jedi Apprentice series. It will explain it alot better then I can.

13. Gunnehill

Gunnehill Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, I would like to put it like this:
    Originally Yoda WAS Obi-Wans master, and that´s what everybody thought until TPM - which sadly set up the fact that Qui-Gon was Obi´s master. Couldn´t they just have left Obi and Qui as a duo of Jedi-friends embarking on the mission instead?

And I don´t accept the fact that people say "but Yoda trained Obi-Wan until he was 13..." because that´s just something George had to come up with in order to not make the ESB-lines totally false.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.